SPACE WHALE

By Nathan Grayson on April 13th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

I haven’t actually played Space Whale yet (my Internet connection has been nearly nonexistent all day, so no downloads for me), but I’m pretty sure it’s already my favorite game of all time. It is, as you might have surmised, about a gigantic whale in space and his endlessly ravenous quest to grow even more gigantic. So he languidly floats about to soothing piano music and inhales any bits of planetary plankton bold – or foolish – enough to cross his path. Like you do. In spite of its rather apocalyptic setup (the universe is in the process of, um, collapsing) and amazingly caps-conducive name, Space Whale seems quite relaxing. Wade slowly into the break’s healing waters to see for yourself.

Wasn’t that nice? Also of interest: Space Whale ties its soundtrack directly to your actions, so it’s got a few strands of rhythm game in its celestial DNA as well.

“A psychedelic explosion of colour, fish and meta-galactic mammals. Swing through space using the gravity of planets, growing bigger as you eat until you can devour entire galaxies. Orbiting different planets causes different instruments to blend into the music and chomping planetoids plays musical notes with the cosmic cacophony.”

You can download the full game (which is for some reason still labeled as a demo) for free here. As soon as my bridge to that vast star sea of knowledge, dreams, and senselessly rude comments known as the Internet is back at full functionality, I desperately hope to give it a go myself. But, until then, how is Space Whale? Am I justified in preemptively declaring it the zenith of our medium and probably the most important single life experience any of us will ever have?

Also, because it’s inevitable, FACEWHALE. There you go. Have at it.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. golem09 says:

I vote not to forget this article.

• baby snot says:

I do that by bookmarking something every once and a while and then totally forgetting to ever check my bookmarks.

• daniyaalseeq says:

Jordan. I agree that Charlotte`s article is incredible… last tuesday I got a great new Acura after bringing in $8295 this past 5 weeks an would you believe 10k this past-munth. this is really my favourite-job Ive had. I began this 6 months ago and almost straight away got more than $78… per-hour. I follow this great link,,,, http://bic5.com/

• Shadowcat says:

I do that by leaving that tab open in the background. Naturally I do this at a faster rate than I close them. Every now and then I change to a new tab group, or open a new window. I think that’s the point at which I am guaranteed to never see the original tabs ever again. I wonder how many there are.

I remember I one time I did a big clean-up and saved all my open tabs as bookmarks. That improved my browser start-up time quite significantly. I’ve never looked at those bookmarks either.

2. misterT0AST says:

Sad to hear about your internet connection. be sure to publish this article on Rockpapershotgun when you come back online, so that I can read it, and maybe post a comment.

3. mcwill says:

WHALEFACE

4. BlueDragon says:

Isn’t it a Ludo-Rathowm from Rance series??

5. Jakkar says:

… This isn’t even a game. What is it? A random assortment of balls, no lose condition, bland music, virtually no animations, an inane control system.

Why is it?! D:

What a waste of minutes.

6. Koozer says:

Looks a smidge like the lovely Solar 2, but shonkier.

7. Mollusc Infestation says:

I AM OMNIPITUS, EATER OF WORLDS.

8. Spooty says:

From Mars to Sirius by Gojira should be the soundtrack for this game. It is literally about flying whales in space.

WHALECORE

9. Shinan says:

Are there any bowls of petunias?

10. lexear says:

can’t wait to play! katamari was one of my favorite games!

11. killingbutterflies says:

Very, very, very similar to Kometon:
    Which was an awesome game of relaxation and exploration.

• sovie says:

That was one of the references we used whilst making it. Apologies for it being pretty janky, it was a group project at university, (hence the game being on a university website). Never thought it would find itself on RPS,
      WHALEFACE

12. charmed23 says:

thanks so much for posting this! I love it!

13. geerad says:

SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE SPACE WHALE etc.

14. Colin Capurso says:

Whales in space must be a thing, because we just finished our Intergalactic Whale game today after a year of development.

Early build video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR-Gx1HK6Z0

15. zbmott says:

The platonic forms called, they want their title back.

Comment on this story