The RPS Bargain Bucket: After Hours

By Lewie Procter on April 13th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I guess it is Saturday morning, so I guess it is time to cast our gaze across the various gaming digital storefronts across the globe to see who’s got the best deals going right now. Will you see a deal that tempts you to part with your cash this week? There’s only one way to find out. For more of this sort of thing, pop along to SavyGamer.co.uk.

Gentrieve 2, Knytt Underground, Monday Night Combat, SATAZIUS & The Real Texas – £3.47/4.07/$5.32 at time of writing
Price will fluctuate over time as detailed here. Monday Night Combat & SATAZIUS register on Steam.
The Indie Royale folks are on a bit of a roll recently, their last three bundles have particularly stood out for me. Here you get the latest in the Kyntt series, which is a moody slow paced sidescrolling platformer with a vaguely metroidvania design. The original Monday Night Combat, which is one of the handful of multiplayer shooters I’ve enjoyed in the last few years (in part due to the fact that there’s loads of stuff to be doing other than shooting, if you feel like it). SATAZIUS which is a fun, if somewhat unoriginal retro horizontal shmup. The Real Texas, which I’m yet to play, but hear is excellent. And finally Gentrieve 2, the only game in the bundle I’m not familliar with, but this trailer makes it look pretty cool. Snap this bundle up.

Scribblenauts Unlimited – £5.86/6.87/$8.99
This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address. Registers on Steam.
The wordy adventure makes it’s debut on the PC, and it’s the definitive version so far. Here’s wot John thought of this:

Unlimited is an odd title, as if anything this is the most focused series has ever tried to be. But let me clarify – it’s not restrictive – you can still make anything, at any point, and watch the purposes of a location collapse under the awesomeness of your daft ideas. But its intentions are more focused, the challenges it presents designed to inspire you to solve specific problems, as obviously or imaginatively as you see fit. The unlimited nature is really trying to hint that the game is now set in a sprawling, open world.

More here.

Air Forte, Atom Zombie Smasher & Flotilla – Pay What You Want.
Or beat the average price (currently sitting at £2.41/2.82/$3.69) to also get Thirty Flights of Loving.
Optionally registers on Steam.
An awesome collection of inventive titles from Blendo Games, available for whatever price you happen to see fit. I reckon you’ll be wanting to get the fabulous Gravity Bone psuedo sequel Thirty Flights of Loving, so it’s probably worth paying more than average. Atom Zombie Smasher is a bizarre strategy game with some tower defence elements, where you’re looking down on cities overrun with hoards of shambling undead represented by purple dots, and you have to strategically place soldiers, gun turrets and dynamite to try and smash the zombies. I’m not sure if I’m rubbish at it, or if you’re supposed to get always get overrun by zombies, but it’s a got a great sense of humour, and like all the Blendo Games here, it’s stylish as hell.

Natural Selection 2 – £7.60/9.20/$10
Apply coupon “GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA”. Registers on Steam.
A game about humans trying to kill aliens and aliens trying to kill humans. What will they think of next? Here’s Jim’s take on this:

Applying what I had learned from other games, I spent my first few matches identifying veterans and following them about to see what they did. A sound strategy, too, because being out on your own in NS2′s labyrinthine levels is a recipe of having your arms and legs removed. The action is pleasingly fast paced (no Quake, but it still moves), whether you are a marine or an alien. The marines move slower, of course, but they still have to have the reactions to pop a cap in the skittering/flying/shambling ass of the host of beasts that spew from the alien side. It’s much easier to do that when they’re attacking someone else. (And, after hours of incredibly tentative combat, I eventually realised there’s no friendly fire, either, and began to do much better.)

More here.

Deal of the week
Hotline Miami – £2.79
Apply coupon “GFDAPR20UK”. Registers on Steam.

More RPS coverage of Hotline Miami here.

Also of note:
Grid – £2.72/3.53/$4.08. Apply coupon “GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA”. Registers on Steam.
Fuel – £1.90/2.44/$2.72. Apply coupon “GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA”. Registers on Steam.
Dirt 2 – £4/5.20/$6. Apply coupon “GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA”. Registers on Steam.
Dirt 3 – £4.08/5.44/$6.80. Apply coupon “GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA”. Registers on Steam.
F1 2012 – £6.80/8.16/$10.88. Apply coupon “GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA”. Registers on Steam.
Sine Mora – £1.59. Apply coupon “GFDAPR20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Ravaged – £1.59. Apply coupon “GFDAPR20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Space Pirates and Zombies – £1.40. Apply coupon “GFDAPR20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Kairo – £2.49/Similar price in other currencies.
GOG Interplay promo.

Get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk for even more cheap games.

__________________

« | »

1. godofdefeat says:

GRANDBUCKETFACE

• Dowr says:

BUCKETFACE: The movie – The game!

Now in written form.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Starring Dirk Buckedict.

• Esteis says:

alongside Bucketlist Cumberbatch.

• daniyaalseeq says:

If you think Charlotte`s story is incredible…, 1 weak-ago my friend basically also broght in $8335 just sitting there seventeen hours a week an their house and they’re classmate’s sister-in-law`s neighbour done this for four months and brought home over $8335 in there spare time online. the advice from this address, http://bic5.com/

2. TheDreamlord says:

Coupon “GFDAPR20UK” on GameFly expired yesterday.

3. Moni says:

I’m very interested in Hotline Miami, but I’m worried that it would make me nauseous. Has anyone had any problems like that with it?

• Dowr says:

The only person I know of that found Hotline Miami nauseous was TotalBiscuit, but he seems to find everything nauseous.

I’d say you should be fine and it’s only mere pocket-change so there is barely any risk.

• PsychoWedge says:

I got a really bad headache when I played it first. After five hours or something like that my brain seemed to get used to it though and since then I can play withouth problems after a couple of minutes getting used to it again.

And yeah, I guess playing a game that makes me sick for five hours says something about my… dedication… to gaming and brilliant games. xD

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I did at first, but after the first 2-3 levels I got used to it, and it wasn’t a problem.

• SkittleDiddler says:

No nausea for me (and I’m quite prone to it), but I did encounter a game-stopping bug ten minutes in. Thank Dog for Amazon’s liberal refund process.

• dE says:

If you’re asking along the lines of motion sickness, my personal experience says: Can’t touch this. Can’t stand 5 minutes without having to shut it off and lie down for a bit, cause of nausea.

• fish99 says:

Do you get motion sickness?

4. misterT0AST says:

Gentrieve is eternal arcade 3d exploring.
    Phroot never ceases to amaze me on how huge his procedurally generated games feel, even if they’re made by him alone (as far as I know).
    Randomly generated rooms with randomly generated monsters, finding progressively stronger randomly generated weapons.
    So it’s just like 3079 but in a more enclosed space. I recommend it.

Also: some games from the Avernum saga are finally down to a ridiculous price (number V and VI respectively) on Gamersgate:

5. Dowr says:

Anyone that does not purchase Hotline Miami for that price is a horrible person.

6. Wago says:

Space Pirates and Zombies does not register on steam, I found that out the hard way, had to use GameFly’s own client and everything. :(

7. Vandelay says:

Tempted to pick up one of those Codie racing games, as I’ve not played a good racing game in a while (excluding the excellent Sonic All Star Racing: Transformed.) But which one do I get?!

I hear a lot of good about Grid and imagine it might be the closest thing on PC to Forza/Gran Turismo, but the Dirts are newer. Not so fussed on F1 nor Fuel.

• lowprices says:

I’d recommend Grid, although it’s not much like Forza or Gran Turismo. It’s not a racing sim at all really. It’s closer to Project Gotham Racing, in that it’s more realistic than, say, Ridge Racer or Burnout, but still has very forgiving handling. Also the flashback feature is great, cutting down on the amount of restarting because you crash. Also also, you can make your team refer to you as “Spanky”, which never gets old.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

GRID is a great game but DOES NOT have multiplayer any longer if that matters any to you. The singleplayer is still great and really raised the bar at the time. Absolutely worth it for a few dollars if you don’t mind being left alone with the AI, which aren’t bad and actually make human like mistakes. There’s a nice varying levels of difficulty and assists, I think the comparison to PGR isn’t bad since it’s clearly an arcade racer but feels more serious yet approachable. Playing at the hardest settings you still need to apply those simlike techniques you learn in GT or Forza to be successful.

• trjp says:

Grid is a good ‘lite’ Forza/GT game with a decent range of cars and tracks on offer and a decent single player campaign to play throught.

Dirt was the last of the Colin Mcrae rally games and has some ‘kagoule’ factor in terms of proper forest/snow/tarmac rallying – but some people find it doesn’t play well with W7 (Steam don’t support it on W7)

Dirt2 was the first of the ‘yo brah’ Ken Block rally games – X Games stuff, Rallycross etc. – it’s a FANTASTIC offroad racer but the emphasis is on pacenotes and maps and silly speed on dirt

Dirt3 is Dirt2 with more GFWL more DLC nonsense and some Gymkhana for cars (see Ken Block’s videos) – it’s only really good for people who are sick-to-death of Dirt2′s content and want some new stuff

8. Ironclad says:

Gamersgate is also holding a ridiculous Paradox sale: most dlc is 70% off, most games is 50 % off, including crusader kings 2, warlock master of the arcane, europa universalis 3, supreme ruler, dungeonland, a game of dwarves, and a ton of other games. (seriously, there are a ton of Paradox games on sale right now)

go check it out: http://www.gamersgate.com/games?filter=offers

• Hardlylikely says:

The Linux version of Crusader Kings II is only available through Steam. Might affect somebodies decision to buy. I know I’ll be waiting for the next Steam sale, even though I will normally choose Gamersgate over Steam.

Also I was going to buy Fuel but GMG says it installs Securom, so that’s a no too. Bargain free weekend so far.

• Ironclad says:

As a windows user, I’m not inconvenienced with this, however, after about 5 minutes of googling it turns out that the linux version of Crusader kings 2 is never going to be released on Gamersgate. That’s just bad form, Gamersgate (apparently the “issue” is that GG doesn’t do linux support. Boo.

Anyway, I went to the Paradox Webstore, and they’re also doing a discount, though more limited: Victoria, Victoria 2, Victoria 2: A house Divided are all 75% off. These are all purchases for Steam keys. Damn, now I regret purchasing AHD at full price a month ago.

• Llewyn says:

Ironclad, thanks for these pointers. Been meaning to pick up The Rpublic for my GG CKII for a little while, and only this week I was thinking that I might like to give Vicky II a go.

• wu wei says:

Crusader Kings II is a SteamPlay title; it shouldn’t matter if you buy the Window’s version via GG, once you activate it on Steam you should be able to install it on a Linux box.

• Llewyn says:

The GG version of CK II doesn’t activate on Steam, it’s an entirely separate distribution. This at least has the advantage of allowing me to stay on the patch I’m currently playing until I’m ready to move on, but unfortunately it’s something they won’t be doing for future releases.

• wu wei says:

Ah, sorry, I assumed from the context it was the Steam version.

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

Yeah, I got burned by this. Spent a metric ton on CK2 plus DLCs via GamersGate, then when they announced the Linux version it turned out it would only be available to those who bought from Steam. Grrrrr. Unhappy gamer face.

• MrLebanon says:

sucks that GG CK2 does not activate on steam.. I already have CK2 and *most* the DLCs but I have been waiting for the Republic to come on sale.. can’t activate it with a steam copy of the base game!

9. Maniac says:

Does anyone know of any on-going sales for Dark Souls? I’m starting to get desperate, I want it so badly, but I’m rather broke! >_<

10. mollemannen says:

played both youtube videos at once. didn’t sync up :/

11. kalirion says:

As RPS is once again ignoring the groupees bundles, gotta post these:

Groupees Alpha Funding Bundle: http://groupees.com/alpha

All games with DRM Free downloads and on Desura

$1 gets you:
    Pirate Hell
    Enola

$4 gets you the above plus:
    Dary’s Legend
    Realm Explorer

—-

Groupees Topware Bundle: http://groupees.com/topware

“build your own bundle” style, with a minumum of 2 games for $1.50, each additional game costing $0.75 or less the more you get.

Earth 2140(DRM-Free & GOG),
    Earth 2150(DRM-Free & GOG),
    Earth 2160(Steam, DRM-Free & GOG),
    East India Company Gold(Topware Key),
    Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire(Steam, DRM-Free & GOG),
    World War II Panzer Claws I & II(DRM-Free),
    Pirates of Black Cove(Topware Key)

• Lewie Procter says:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Those bundles went live after this article was published. I know because I posted them on SavyGamer moments after they went live.

I posit that it is you who is ignoring something: The facts.

• kalirion says:

My bad, i guess it’s instinctive reaction now after RPS bargain bucket had ignored every other groupees bundle in months.

• Lewie Procter says:

Wrong again.

The purpose of this column is that I round up the deals that I think are the best and tell you about them. I take that task very seriously, and put a great deal of effort into sorting through all the deals to find the best ones. The bargain bucket has never included all discounts, it’s just my highlights every weekend.

• El_Emmental says:

To be fair, groupees bundles have never been stellar: there was a few featuring pretty good games, but many were filled with a bunch of indie games of rather average entertainment value – that’s why I’ve only bought 2 or 3 of them.

Also, groupees often launched a “new bundle” that wasn’t that “new”: actually several games (sometime most) were already featured in previous bundles, and while it’s nice for people who missed it, sounds a little bit lazy and cheap for a bundle-maker to do that.

Their interface being one of the worst I’ve ever had to use for a purchase online (have to register, login, then purchase – no email sent with the keys – finding where you need to log in and find your keys on groupees.com is a real pain) doesn’t really help.