Is Nothing: Sacred Citadel Out Now

By Nathan Grayson on April 17th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

HAS ANYONE SEEN MY GLASSES? AND MY EYES?

I’m still not entirely sure how Sacred Citadel emerged from a creative cauldron in the vicinity of semi-esteemed Diablo-alikes Sacred 1 and 2, but I can’t knock a series for having a go at a new genre. And so, while Sacred 3 grows large and strong under lock and key, we get a sidescrolling beat-’em-up with fantastical trappings and a God-of-War-style eye for scale. I do not, however, believe we’ll be tearing that eye from its stringy stalk with our bare hands – aka, Kratos’ version of handshake – as Citadel seems a bit less, er, psychopathic. At any rate, there’s a launch trailer after the break, heralding the off-the-beaten path beat-’em-up’s release. Weird, right? A launch trailer on launch day? Who does that anymore?

Here’s a basic rundown of who you’ll be biffing, how you’ll be biffing, and – most importantly – why you reluctantly biff up a bodycount in the thousands despite your peace-loving nature.

“The once peaceful land of Ancaria is in grave danger. The evil Ashen empire has enslaved its population and is using the orc-like Grimmoc to wipe out the Seraphim, who swore to protect it. In order to defeat the empire you will have to prove yourself as a warrior by riding terrifying mounts, acquiring earth shattering skills and looting powerful weapons and valuable treasures. Grab your friends and join the resistance!”

Generally speaking, these things are at their best in co-op, and Citadel seems to rightly embrace that trend. Other than that, the big bullet points are loot and obsessive weapon selection, and between all of those things, Citadel actually sounds quite a lot like its top-down cousins. Just, you know, from the side. The initial announcement caused children to weep and grown adults to flee into the streets, screaming, but it might just work.

Honestly, though, I haven’t played it yet, so have any of you taken a crack at its pinata-colored loot pinata paradise? Is it worth the $15 cost of entry?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Why does some lunatic always have to take things into their own hands? If you butcher your way across an entire continent of troops, stopping only to make hand-puppets out of their heads, you’ll never break the cycle of violence.

Ancaria should take the case to the United Nations and move to pass a non-binding statement of condemnation against Ashen and solidarity with Ancaria, then Ancarian representatives can meet with an international working-group to come up with a timetable for the withdrawal of Grimmoc troops.

Once Ashen realises world opinion is not on their side they will have no choice but to end their murderous occupation and negotiate a reasonable settlement for reparations and no doubt help with the rebuilding, perhaps taking advantage of the good will established in the reconstruction to present themselves for consideration as a most-favoured nation for Ancarian trade.

Diplomacy works, people!

• staberas says:

I’d buy that game if it existed, I always used diplomacy in Mass Effect just to skip a useless battle.

• Gap Gen says:

The problem is that while the evil Ashen empire has provided some form of stability to the otherwise chaotic sectarian landscape typical of Ancaria, they haven’t used it to promote civil institutions or create a cohesive society that transcends tribal loyalties. Instead, they’ve been using weapons of mass destrorction to control the unruly populace and suppress rival factions. So while the West is being pressured to intervene with their well-trained and well-equipped terrifying mounts and technologically-advanced earth-shattering skills, I can’t but be pessimistic about the prospect for long-term peace and development following the removal of the Ashen leader from power. Plus there’ll be knock-on effects as the Grimmoc mercenaries return to their homelands with powerful weapons looted from Ashen armouries in the ensuing breakdown of security, causing neighbouring once-peaceful lands to be destabilised. So while yes, the Ashen empire will be condemned by the international community, I can’t see it having a dramatic effect on the conduct of the Ashen leadership. It’s one thing to deploy terrifying mounts to the AOR, but it’s difficult for world leaders to translate that into action and practically deploy their earth-shattering skills in a way that genuinely benefits the region rather than sparking an internecine conflict between the various Seraphim factions and the Ashen loyalists.

2. Anthile says:

Can one have no eyes and still stare?

3. Zepp says:

Looks mighty fine! :D

4. Dowr says:

Was the Dubstep really necessary?

• GeminiathXL says:

Always is. Always is.

• LennyLeonardo says:

The only thing as ubiquitous as dubstep in trailers is people commenting on dubstep in trailers. Oh dear, have I just made a new one? Quaker Oats effect…………

• vanosofmanos says:

Kind of disappointing considering they used Blind Guardian in Sacred 2, complete with quest line and rabble rousing in game concert. I’ll take me some epic metal over dubstep any day!

5. scottossington says:

Looks interesting, but it has gender locked characters so probably won’t pick it up.

• apocraphyn says:

Seems like a pretty weak criticism to me, but fair enough. Given the chance I’d always rather play as a male character, though I’m not averse to having a female avatar in a game. Being too hung up over such things prevents you from playing tons of games, from Super Mario (if you’re going from the ‘no playable women’ angle) to Tomb Raider (if you’re going from the ‘no playable men’ angle).

Either way, I’m sorta glad there’s been something of a revival in the beat ‘em up genre, lately. Always did enjoy them, missed their general presence over the last decade or two.

• Phasma Felis says:

WTF is “gender locked”?

• Shepardus says:

It’s when the character class you choose determines the gender of the character. For example (not specific to this game, I haven’t watched the video or read about this game), having a female archer class but not a male archer class, or having a male warrior class but no female warrior class.

6. Jason Moyer says:

Everything I’ve seen of this reminds me of Golden Axe for some reason.

7. Nick says:

fucking dubstep.

8. mxxcon says:

Anybody else noticed that the boss fight at the end of this video is a blatant ripoff from Darksiders2 and God of War?
    Also see their “reveal” trailer for a bit more footage of that boss.
    Very disappointing :(

• lasikbear says:

Both of which are a rip off of Bongo Bongo from Orcarina of Time?

Dude so big his bottom half is below the stage and he just fights with his giant hands really isnt the most unique concept

• Phasma Felis says:

Yeah, games have been doing that since the 80s, dude. You might as well say that any game with guns in it is a huge ripoff of Black Ops.

9. abrokenchinadoll says:

I can’t believe I actually bought this..wasted money honestly. I havent found anyone to play with. It’s kinda like Castlecrashers minus the comedic relief. No pets too.

• Baines says:

Minus the fourth player, too. Sacred Citadel only supports three player co-op.

10. Tei says:

I don’t buy this type of games. but If I where, I would be interesting in this one based on the interesting “moves” I see in the video.

The music was somewhat off, not exactly the type of wub wub wub that works, or the type that is made as irony.

11. Baines says:

While Steam doesn’t list it, GamersGate is already selling a $5 DLC chapter.

12. Felixader says:

Well, the music in the trailer is kinda silly, considering the music in the game.

In the game i sometimes have the feeling that it trys to emulate the Bastion soundtrack.
    In the end it isn’t very good though, which is kinda an sentece that fits the overall game.

The game has awfully low resoltion textures, that hurts the otherwise interesting graphic stlye in a big way.

The Controls are somewhat awkward, especially evading on a Controller is awfully mapped out.

13. trjp says:

I got a good hour out of the XBOX demo today but I’m not bursting to pay money for it.

It feels a BIT grindy – but the combat is fun enough for the most part…