Project: Willy (Snigger) Is A (Snigger) Kinect Game For PC

By Alec Meer on April 17th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

I shall not dignify your suspicion with a definitive answer. But! All nob gags aside, I am interested in indie devs’ use and abuse of Microsoft’s Kinect camera, which has been the sad victim of technical limitations and a lack of imagination over in its official home, the Xbox 360. I keep meaning to take a proper look at what the indie community is doing with the motion controller, but I doubt there’s too much going on now the world seems to have lost interest in the thing. One exception to that is Project One-Eyed Trouser Snake Willy, a two player game of motion control and tradtional control, and also a bizarre pastiche of that film about a whale. It was created for the Global Game Jam 2013, making its technical accomplishments all the more impressive, even if some of the presentation and the concept of a whale travelling through a human’s body is all kinds of whatthehell.

Take a look at in action. Not mind-blowing stuff admittedly, but I do really like the idea of this being possible on a PC.

If you fancy a crack at that, you can download the game here. You’ll also need a Kinect and these drivers, mind.

There’s, er, also a story. Sort of. Er.

Yes. Well. More details here, too.

, , , .

1. Low Life says:

A perfect end for an awesome day at RPS. Thank you.

…three more hours left, but surely there can’t be more?

2. tossrStu says:

Surely only the jet set have a Kinect for their PC though? The games seem too manic and the benefits are minor. And quite frankly I’d rather meet the taxman than play this kind of thing.

• notha says:

the good news is that if you have a kinect for 360, you can use it on your pc as well

Lambchops says:

Well at least somebody is going to learn the secret of magnets. The Insane Clown Posse should be informed posthaste!

Also to complement the maturity of the headline I misread “fancy a crack” as “fanny a crack,” which really just makes no sense!

4. 1Life0Continues says:

Absolutely poll option #3…

5. Shiny says:

I was hoping for more hand jive, with the Kinect and all.

6. Phasma Felis says:

FYI, “willy” is slang for “penis” in American English as well, like 63% of all words in English (American or otherwise).

However, we also have a male name that you may not have heard of, “William”, which “Willy” is short for, in addition to the whole “penis” thing. Awkward, I know! American English is crazy. In this case it’s referencing an American movie about a whale named Willy, which may not have reached your shores yet as it was only released two decades ago. Presumably Alec knows about it due to having memorized Wikipedia a few years back.

Lumberjack_Man says:

I say what old chap, I don’t suppose you have a copy of said film on a Betamax tape that you could possibly send to me via carrier pigeon by any chance?

• Dowr says:

Betamax, old boy? Why, don’t be so rambunctious, VHS is what her majesty requires!

• gaiusimperator says:

VHS, my dear lad? You ignorant rapscallion, surely you mean a film reel. As we all know, the backward colonials have yet to develop such complex moving picture capabilities.

• Tukuturi says:

Ah cain’t unerstand them fancy British words done fallin out yer facehole. Back’n I come ferm a willy’s done fer diggin up ruts. Like as in “Hey, pa, them taters done outta be ripen out der, ya hear? Gonan’ get yer willy ‘s diggin’ time!”

• Branthog says:

I’m always a little baffled by brits when they feel the need to explain Britishisms, as if Americans have not had access to literature, film, television, radio, music, magazines, newspapers, and the internet over the last century

Trust me, Americans are not stymied by the slang you use for genitals, or what you call trash cans, garages, trunks, french fries, cookies, apartments, or trucks. We all had the “wow, across the pond, they call X ‘Y’!” moments by the time we were maybe twelve years old, I’m pretty sure.

• Nick says:

I’m baffled you think only british and american people read this site.

• AngoraFish says:

I lived in the United States for two years and traveled widely, and must say that the general lack of awareness that the average American demonstrated for anything outside the country’s borders never ceased to amaze me. Of course, there were expectations and clearly your circle of friends is one of them, however I also know plenty of Americans who are significantly less familiar with British culture than they give themselves credit for.

• Fred S. says:

It’s equally amusing to read some of the misconceptions about America that get around on non-American sites. It’s as if the only place you get information about us is from Hollywood or the New York Times. Which goes right along with the BBC as our major source of info about y’all.

• AngoraFish says:

You are absolutely correct. America is a vastly more complex, interesting and culturally diverse country than I had any appreciation for as an outsider, prior to living there. It is amazing how poorly the nuances translate when viewed through a Hollywood filter.

7. Triplanetary says:

Project: Willy (Snigger) Is A (Snigger) Kinect Game For PC

The polite term these days is “snafrican.”

• sidescroller says:

Interesting but trivial linguistic tidbit: In common American English, it would be “snicker” instead of “snigger.” Also interesting is that “snicker” seems to predate “snigger,” indicating a shift in accepted spelling and pronunciation that occurred in British regions that did not occur in American regions.

• Branthog says:

You jest, but I found the use of the word (twice, even) in the headline to be really off-putting. Maybe it’s different in the UK, but in the states, using that word would get you upset glances at best and punched at worst. It falls alongside other completely legitimate words that are etymologically unrelated to actually offensive words and therefore *never* used simply for their similarity in sound, like the word “niggardly”.

8. Greggh says:

A post. With a poll.

What next? An orange slice, in my guarana?!?
    MADNESS!

9. tormos says:

I’d like to point out that the only state that voted blue (I consider Kinect to hold fascinating potential for PC games, free from the mass market horrors of Xbox) was Alaska. Very literal minded, those Alaskans

• tormos says:

Delaware, meanwhile, believes Alec to be a tireless champion of indie games. Which, to be fair, may be true, but is probably not relevant in this case. West Virginia has remained taciturn throughout the debate.

10. Jamesworkshop says:

WILLYFACE!

11. TechnicalBen says:

Still making the same mistake of trying to use the Kinect as a controller I see.

You don’t ride bicycles under water, you don’t drive cars through fields. Stop trying to ham fist games into the Kinect. The best results I’ve seen from it, are where people play to it’s strengths.

12. Cara Ellison says:

I enjoyed this post

a) because I am a tireless supporter of indie games
    b) because I am interested in Kinect (snort)
    c) because ‘willy’ is British slang for penis and Alec has pointed this out (X)

13. blurstoftimes says:

I love this.

If my shallow understanding of this project is accurate: “Frog Fractions with Whales, sort of” then I am truly excited.

That whale is wearing a bow. She thinks she’s people.

14. stupid_mcgee says: