Sir You Artyom Being Hunted – Metro: LL’s Baddies

By Nathan Grayson on April 17th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Well they seem like a nice, reasonable bunch.

Metro: Last Light is so close. So very, painfully close. Sometimes, on cold, lonely nights and also in Russia for some reason, I can almost feel it sidling up to me, locking me in a warm irradiated embrace, telling me everything’s going to be OK. Patience, however, is not my strong suit, so I think frequently subjecting myself to these very nice promo videos constitutes some form of masochism. The latest one’s quite the ride, too, taking us on a whirlwind tour of Last Light’s various factions, human murderjerks/WWII allegories, and mutant creepy crawly stompy blaaarghies. Take a peek for yourself after the break, and then join me in a moist state of anticipatory writhing for the next month.

What a dingy, miserable place that looks to be. I can’t wait! For real, though, I’m very hopeful for a fuller realization of Metro 2033’s obsessively detailed vision, and I’m extremely glad to hear that my choices will dictate the twists and turns of some invisible domino chain – just as they did in the first. That, I think, is quite a good sign in this age of morality meters and endings that pull punch after punch so everyone wins.

“While deadly creatures control the desolate Moscow wastelands, the human survivors, having splintered into extremist factions, gangs of bandits, and the order of Rangers, try to maintain a hold on the tunnels of the Metro. To stand up to them, the player has the choice: will he try to sneak past the threats, save their lives and rare ammunition, or will he seek direct face-off to wipe them out once for all. Both ways carry risks and every action has consequences within the tunnels of the Metro.”

Those factions, especially, will probably present you with all sorts of crossroads, given that Nazis, ardent communists, and Western-leaning types only get along for the few seconds it takes to set up their “So X, Y, and Z walked into a bar…” joke.

Moment-to-moment exploration, meanwhile, will be punctuated by hopefully much-improved combat, especially given the pains the video went through to point out varied AI and scarcity of ammo. Oh, and mutants. Definitely mutants. But then, that nearly goes without saying. Mutants are basically nature’s exclamation point, insofar as both are alarming and often hideous, but utterly unmissable and gruesomely fatal in large packs.

Metro: Last Light will be out on May 14th in North America and May 17th everywhere else for some arbitrary reason. Is your cup runneth-ing over with froth at the prospect of the series’ more fleshed-out return?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. wodin says:

looking forward to this…

2. bob. says:

The idea of a fascist group in Russia that makes themself look like Nazis still seems very weird to me! Maybe I just have a wrong idea of Russia today, but it seems very weird to me that they would “draw inspiration” from a party that once tried to subjugate the Russian people and regarded them as inferior.

But I really can’t wait for the game.

• Kaira- says:

There are fairly prominent neo-nazi movements in Russia, actually.

• bob. says:

I guess you learn something new every day… and it also totally makes sense since one of the main points of Hitler’s ideology is that all Slavs are inferior.. wait WHAT?!?

Goodtwist says:

Stupidity knows no boundaries…

• kud13 says:

it makes sense at a certain point. They attract those who are disilusioned with the current regime where government is in bad with huge business and everything can be bought and sold.

the Left has largely discredited itself, and besides, old folk believe in the Left, so young rebellious kids can’t follow it. The pro-democratic movement is seen as either a joke, or anti-patriotic, because it’s sponsored by the West. as such, the ultra-RIght seems to be an attractive perspective.

that is, untill you get deep into it. To the point where you’re taken to paramilitary camps in the wilderness and trained to shoot things. Then you realize just how insane those people are.

Goodtwist says:

I absolutely share your opinion. And I want to add: a lot of those nazi-movements are under control of the secret service. Kind of “You never know what it’s good for”.

Oozo says:

Even better! There were commi-nazis in Russia!
        (That banner is a work of second-order irony, or art, or madness. Hard to say.)

• Zepp says:

Actually, Russia is the biggest hive of neo-nazi organisations nowadays. Communism weren’t that much different from nazism. Look at North Korea, ideological descendants of communists. Russians and their murderous ideologies did as much harm as nazis (if not more) to European and Asian countries.

3. Velko says:

I read the original Metro 2033 book some time ago (haven’t played the game). It was ok, but I found the choice of baddies a bit… immature, for the lack of a better word. Nazis? Communists? Anarchists? Trotskyites? Really? Humanity is stuck in a series of metro stations, and suddenly everyone embraces strange extremist ideologies? That setup felt much like the sort of short stories enthusiastic 14-year old boys might write in their writing class.

I much prefer the usual cyberpunk setting of megacorporations fighting for control: it doesn’t require you the stretch your imagination that much.

• Ross Angus says:

I heard much the same thing (I’ve not read any of the books).

• kibayasu says:

The book was as much a political commentary as a sci-fi novel. Unfortunately, its pretty specific commentary to Russia itself.

termit says:

It makes sense in a way – extreme environments tend to bring about extreme responses. Actually I was more surprised by the lack of organized warring religious cults, than from the presence of fascist. Also, as far as I remember (I read the book several years ago, so blurry memories) both the communist and the fascist ideologies were adapted to the metro realities. Now that I think of it, both offer strict command structure and disciplined approach, which makes good sense when fighting for limited resources, and a good choice for wannabe dictators that want to build their own little kingdoms.

Personally, I found the “supernatural” parts (Khan, the tunnel with Bourbon, etc…) breaking my suspension of disbelief far more…

• Widthwood says:

Probably this omission is specific to Russian origins of the book and has roots in oppressing of religions during socialist period in Russia. There was a strong rebound after USSR’s fall towards religion as a better alternative to fill the void left when communist ideals became obsolete. Criticizing religion is becoming more and more taboo nowadays (which in turn began a rebound in the opposite direction, but much weaker for now), and this is not some government-forced policy but pure choice of majority of people supported by people in power as cheap means to gain popularity.

I haven’t read the books so I can’t say whether this omission was made because of authors own views, or out of fear/misgiving. But if there were “positive” supernatural themes (not necessarily christian, russian religion often is about as much christian as is pagan), I’d say it’s the former.

termit says:

I am from a former Soviet Block country (not the USSR), and the Orthodox church is the official state church here as well. Majority the people are either indifferent, or downright disapproving of it, as schisms are common, prominent clergymen are proven to have worked with the former communist secret police and/or behave more like rich criminals. All in all, fertile grounds for sects, and in the last decade or so there has been an influx of those. I am not familiar as how the Orthodox church is positioned in Russia, but it would really surprise me if things are much different there.

• Widthwood says:

Well nowadays only about 10-15% of people in Russia are non-religious even though we don’t even have an officially declared state religion. And the overwhelming majority of the rest are identifying themselves as orthodox christians, though strict adherence to official church is much less popular.

Anyway, my point was it is not very realistic to expect a popular work of fiction from Russia to contain strong commentary on religion nowadays, as to be of any meaning it has to hit too close to home of very vocal and active majority. Sure, some random non-christian cult like scientologists would most likely be ok with everyone, but that would not be honest and relevant to current stiuation here.

termit says:

I didn’t know that, thanks for the explanation. Agreed then, in this context it really makes sense that there were no cults in Metro…

• rei says:

There are cults in the books, though, and actually very overt ridicule of religion in 2033.

termit says:

Do you mean the cannibals who kidnapped children?
            I was thinking more in line of religion wars between major cults…

• Cirno says:

Dont know about government-forced policy but by the looks of it Russian government take more and more interest in the orthodox church, starting from archbishop being at most major government meetings to creating some dumb law (for political reasons) that involves religion. Its like Russia is going back to medieval.

• Widthwood says:

That is exactly what I meant. People push government toward using religion as their tool, which in turn imposes religion back at people. And the sad thing is the whole process is actually kind of democratic. Recently government has been loosing confidence votes, so further steps to win religious people are not surprising.

• lijenstina says:

That is because religion is often a part of national identity. Many people will declare adherence to the religion as being a part of their part of a nation even though they are not particularly religious themselves.

Religions are ideologies as communism or any other ism in society are too. There is the connection. Ideologies do have a lot of common the main problem is tribalism – the us and them divide that plagues the world.

The same mechanism that works when football hooligans when they fight the supporters of an another club.

The underlying ideology is just an insignia, a banner under which a a group is identified. If the deeper problem of the tribalistic destructive mechanism is disregarded removing religion doesn’t solve anything – it will just get replaced by an another ideology as just a symbol under which people march into future conflicts. In international affairs the whole deal is quite visible – a democracy can have an imperialistic foreign policy which only at first sight looks like a paradox, but in the light of the group vs group fight for dominance, it is not.

• Kynrael says:

It’s actually quite common to see an extremist surge in political tendencies during difficult times, so it does make some sense to have people unite around strong ideas (“We are stronger together”, “No mutants, only Russians”…).

4. athaleos says:

Cant wait for this game..books are so great.

5. Velko says:

Ha-ha! The title changed, but the url is still the same!

6. BobbyDylan says:

And It’s now bundled with Nvidia 660 and upwards cards.

7. Smion says:

By the way, did I read the website right and the ultra-hard mode is tied to preordering/DLC? Are they fucking kidding?

Herzog says:

Hope my laptop with a GT650M can run this well!

9. InternetBatman says:

I loved the first one. Definitely my favorite linear shooter by far. I didn’t watch the video because I want to be surprised by the second one too.

10. Dowr says:

Not purchasing this until they remove the Ranger mode pre-order bonus

• captain nemo says:

yes – “paying for difficulty levels” is kind of sucky

11. vanosofmanos says:

Just finished the first one over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. There were times when I got sick of the “tour guide” approach to things they took, but overall I’m glad I played it. Now I’ve really got to read the books… does anyone happen to know how many of them beyond 2033 have english translations?

12. Geen says:

Firing full auto, in Metro? Who the hell does that? Shots are too damn expensive to waste.