Consortium Wins Its Space Race On Kickstarter

By Craig Pearson on April 18th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Sir! We're pushing the FoV as far as we can. She can't take much more!
What would happen if you popped a party popper in space? That is the question that Interdimensional Games will have to tweet at Commander Hadfield, because their impressive space RPG Consortium has just achieved warp speed (was funded) on Kickstarter. The Source Engine game of space intrigue on a fully-realised space ship should be arriving in July of this year, ahead of all the other space games that are coming out. In celebration, they’ve released a video showing the visual history of the game, and I have placed it on the other side of this event horizon.

Consortium tickled Adam in all the right places (mid-torso, on the left or right) when he wandered its decks and halls not all that long ago. It’s one of those rare Kickstarters that will have a short hop between being funded and being released. Those are all too rare. Here’s the celebratory video that tracks the development, all the way from mod to something more ship shape.

It turns out there are a few videos of the game in action that we’ve yet to publish. I’m loading the torpedo shaft with a volley of them right now. Pewwwww! Here’s a look at the game’s diplomacy in action.

Zaaaaap! And here’s how they managed to cut their animation budget, by making all the characters telepathic.

And here’s a bonus video of the Psygnosis space station sim, Sentient. It got a whopping 6/10 in Official Playstation Magazine, which was where my first job in games writing was. Do I have some stories about that place, let me tell you! Ah, my lawyers are doing that throat-cut hand movement. Fine! I’ll just show the video. You’ll see why I’m dropping it in here when you watch it.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobbyDylan says:

Backed this one. It’s pretty ambitious, and I’m looking forward to toying with it.

• Teovald says:

I backed it as well. I want to see more smart shooters.
      I hope that they will get to the 70k$ stretch goal. Decompression events would add a lot to immersivity.

• Kiya says:

me too – 4 hours left and they still need about 3.5k *crosses fingers*

2. Koshinator says:

“What would happen if you popped a party popper in space?”

Well fairly sure it wouldn’t work at all in a vacuum. They would work pretty effectively in a zero-g oxygenated atmosphere though.

• BobbyDylan says:

Why wouldn’t it work? Gunpowder works in Space, it contains it’s own oxidiser, so I can see no reasonw why a poper wouldn’t work.

• TechnicalBen says:

but would you hear the “pop”?

• Koshinator says:

In a vacuum, no… But i was more wondering about the ignition temperature of the explosive charge in the popper, and if the friction trigger in the device could overcome the temp differential to ignite the powder. Granted, there are party poppers using a compressed air charge that would work perfectly well in a vacuum.

• BobbyDylan says:

Oh right… I dunno, so long as it’s dry, the temprature shouldn’t supress the flash or ignition….

Damnit, aren’t these the fundimental questions we pay NASA to answer?

• Samwise Gamgee says:

and would there be a party?

• elevown says:

Yes a poper would work fine in space. The string would just go alot further :)

If by in space you mean not in a ship but outside in the vacuum, it would still work (gunpowder dosnt need external oxygen) but you’d have to do it before the poper got too cold if it wasnt in sunlight. This however would take ages.

Im guessing it would take months to years to get down to 3K – space is a great insulater (i.e thermos flasks) since it has so few particles. I’ve heard spacesuits have a much harder time getting rid of excess heat to keep cool (in sunlight) than they do staying warm.

This is why they are white to help stop overheating.

MajorManiac says:

Its an odd thing when a new game comes out and I can’t tell what genre it belongs to from the trailers.

I missed it first time round, but Adams article is a really good read. I’m looking forward to this.

4. Koozer says:

Wait…the CMC is used to avoid having to animate talky talkies, but they’ve already got at least one animation in there for Captain Woman. Talking as an armchair modeller, shouldn’t it be relatively easy to apply one stock mouth animation to everyone’s head?

Crimsoneer says:

This looks awesome…so backing!

EDIT: And managed to snag an “early bird” copy – I guess somebody cancelled their pledge:)

6. Iskariot says:

Never heard of this. Looks like a game I might enjoy.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I missed backing this and now I has a sad :(

8. adonf says:

Re. Sentient, keep in mind that the PS1 only had 2MB of RAM + 512 kB for video. I’m really impressed by what I saw here (It seems almost unplayable by modern standards though. That interface, uuuugh!)