I Need To Be Playing Rogue Legacy Right Now

By John Walker on April 18th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

GAMES!

My arrival to Rogue-likes was a late and timid one. I’m a wimp, and fear the ASCII. But games like Spelunky and Dungeons Of Dredmor are my happy place, so the sight of Rogue Legacy has me biting at the screen to get to play. A 2D procedurally generated platformer, packed with dangers of death, but this time should you die, you pass on your knowledge to your children. Children who are… unique.

So it’s certainly not perma-death, as you might expect for the genre. But wow, it’s an interesting idea based on it. Each new generation is born with specific traits. They might be colour blind (game goes black and white), dyslexic (you struggle to read the signs), have gigantism (extra big, obv), near-sighted (the screen gets blurry farther away from you) or, er, suffer from flatulence (fart jokes!). Alongside that, there are classes to choose from that change how you approach things, a spell system, and puzzles to solve. WANT.

And it’s from the people who brought us Don’t Shit Your Pants.

So, as I seem to be typing in every post now, it’s stuck in the Greenlight queue, and will be released when/if it’s voted out of there. Anyone in Seattle who fancies kicking Valve in the shins and telling them it’s from me, please do.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

AlwaysRight says:

I watched the trailer to this last night, when I finished watching it I took my headphones off (I was wearing headphones at the time), stood up (I was sitting at the time), scrunched my brow, nodded my head and said out loud –

“Yes”

2. Niko says:

It looks like it’ll require a lot of those… how are they called… reflexes.

• Warduke says:

Yes, that’s what I was thinking.. That looks like the kind of game I would have enjoyed as a 12 year old but now would probably find it incredibly frustrating..

Hodge says:

Yes, that does look splendid.

4. Zaboomafoozarg says:

Why is everyone waiting on the Greenlights? Why don’t they just sell it themselves?

5. pakoito says:

I am a colorblind and I am terribly offended by this trailer. I’m not a dog to see in black and white.

• PiIsExactly3 says:

Dogs don’t see in black and white. Just think of how many dogs you just offended!

• Rete says:

We actually call it Monochromacy in the game’s details, but most people don’t know what that is which is why we use the generic term colour blindness.

6. Slabs says:

Subtle eugenics propaganda.

Seriously though it looks and sounds amazing.

• Captain Joyless says:

Evolution is subtle eugenics propaganda, but I’m not bothered.

7. Shookster says:

Platformers are my weakness. This looks like a ton of fun, although I’m pretty sure they stole the coin sound effects from Sonic the Hedgehog.

• pakoito says:

As soon as I heard that sound, something was triggered in my brain and wanted this game. And I don’t like sonic games that much.

• Rete says:

We actually call it Monochromacy in the game, but most people don’t know what that is which is why we use the generic term colour blindness in the trailer.

Malibu Stacey says:

The coin explosion sound does sound suspiciously similar to the sound when Sonic gets hit & vomits rings in all directions.

• arccos says:

It’s removed in another version of the trailer, but in that case there’s no sound for the hit at all. My guess is it was a holder sound that they didn’t replace yet.

• Somerled says:

To be fair, it does have “(Sonic Sound)” in the title. Let’s hope these nice gentlemen don’t get hit with a C&D for its use in the trailer.

8. InternetBatman says:

This kind of reminds me of Unepic, which I thought was pretty nifty.

9. Koozer says:

I hope it’s not RACIST against near-sightedness and includes far-sightedness too. Claustrophobia and agoraphobia might work well/be horrendously annoying/hilarious in this too!

10. Discopanda says:

Don’t Shit Your Pants, one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played.

• Nurdell says:

For me Cellar door games is Villanous: Tower attack and You have 1 day. Bullet audyssey and my first quantum translocator come to mind next. All top notch games, Don’t shit your pants is a mocking of a game, I prefer to think it never happened.

11. rxyz says:

So, it really doesn’t have much to do with Rogue at all?

Why is it suddenly popular to be called a rogue-like?

• joshg says:

It’s procedurally generated and emphasizes dying a lot and starting over. That’s gotta count for something.

RedViv says:

I think we need to come up with some new name for this in the future, but for now “roguelike-like” should be enough.

darkChozo says:

I suggest SOBA – Singleplayer Offline Battle Adventure.

</definitely serious>

• rxyz says:

How about “game having permadeath”? Seems much more descriptive to me.

Edit: I could accept “”almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Rogue”

• Kitsunin says:

How about we call it “Roguelike” and for the games that are actually based on Rogue, rather than its concepts “Rogue Clone”?

You snide people need to remember that it’s damn hard to change or invent a name in a way that will be accepted in culture, and unless you can suggest a name that at least sounds good, no one will care about your suggestions.

jrodman says:

I suggest “your mum” for this genre of *repeated failures*.

• Kitsunin says:

I’m on board!

• El_Emmental says:

Hm… wouldn’t fit the bill, “Roguelike” are games inspired by Rogue, not just ‘clones’. Just like there were Doom clones, and Doom-like games.

Roguelike-like (Roguelike² ?) may sound a little bit stupid, it’s actually rather accurate: a derivative genre of a derivative genre.

• Kitsunin says:

It wouldn’t be perfect, but it’s better than the alternative…well, you can disagree with me there, but it’s definitely more realistic. “Roguelike-like” sounds stupid, therefore it will never ever catch on. Also, when you say it, it makes you sound like an elitist, like these games don’t even deserve their own (Real, not stupid sounding) genre.

I say Rogue Clone is accurate, in the same way “WoW Clone” is fitting (Or at least, not unfitting) for hotkey based MMORPGs. The point is that you are starting with with the gameplay of one game, then building upon it, rather than building towards the concepts that made said game, but using unique means to get there. I’m saying that Dungeons of Dredmor is a Rogue clone because, at its core, it was derived from rogue, whereas FTL is a roguelike, because it invokes the same feeling, (Hence like) but its gameplay mechanics are basically unrelated.

The best though, would be to think of a real name for this genre, as it really needs one, given its newfound popularity.

• rxyz says:

But the thing is that “roguelike” already has a longstanding well defined meaning. It should be up to these new games to create a new genre for themselves, not hijack an old one.

Also, what is wrong with simply calling this game a platformer?

• rxyz says:

So nothing more than “dying a lot” and “start over on death” is required for a game to be called rogue-like? That would include an awful lot of old games from the 80s and 90s.

• Zulthar says:

I consider a game roguelike if it has:

– Gear/stat progression.
          – Permadeath.
          – Procedurally generated map.

If it’s closer to nethack than that then it’s actually a clone.

• KirbyEvan says:

I consider any game that requires you to die with permadeath, to learn and to win, and that has random generation a roguelike.

Nethack? Permadeath: check
      Random Generation: check

FTL? Permadeath: check
      Random Generation: check

Rogue Legacy? Permadeath: check
      Random Generation: check

• Kaira- says:

Nethack: Turn based: check
        Deep mechanics: check
        Tile-based: check

The other games you mentioned… not so much.

Harlander says:

Rogue Survivor probably is tile-based, but along a different plane to Nethack.

(And Nethack only has ‘deep mechanics’ if ‘deep’ means ‘deliberately obscure and often based on puns’. Didn’t stop me playing it for 13 years until I finally finished it, though)

• Kitsunin says:

I don’t see any of those aspects as being necessary to make something a roguelike. Why does it need to be turn based or tile based? I guarantee you that those are not the aspects most people care about when they think roguelike. Or are you telling me someone looking for a roguelike would be satisfied playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, just because it plays very similar at any given time?

And deep mechanics? How does Nethack have deeper mechanics than FTL? Just because it’s more confusing and harder to play doesn’t make it deeper. Besides, this is neither an objective criteria, nor do I think it’s one that applies.

jrodman says:

nethack definitely has deeper machanics. Whether you think they work effectively to make a good game is a debatable matter.

• rxyz says:

I’d say turn-based is very important to roguelikes. One thing with roguelikes is that every move is really important and you should think through each and every move. That is not something well captured when you go to realtime or do a platformer etc.

1. When you say “most people”. Are these people who have actually played classic roguelikes (Rogue, Nethack, Angband, etc.)?
            2. [citation needed]

• Kitsunin says:

Nope, probably not, because that’s not how it works. Just because a name was originally established and used for one thing doesn’t mean it can’t, or shouldn’t, change. However, I’m not debating what the term -should- be used for, though I am debating that some ideas are bad.

“Platformer RPG” would be a much more fitting name for this game’s genre, no doubt, but that’s actually irrelevant, because it has the elements that your average person associates the term roguelike with. Because of the way roguelikes are treated nowadays, that we have hugely popular games like FTL and Binding of Isaac, games that call themselves roguelikes to take advantage of this new niche, despite that name already having an established meaning, it’s too late to save the name. Unless everyone decides at once to accept a new name for this genre of “Roguelike-likes” which they probably won’t, any game developer who doesn’t call their roguelike-like a roguelike, will be shooting themselves in the foot.

jrodman says:

Considering rogue didn’t have deep mechanics, that’s stretching it quite a bit.

• DerNebel says:

This is probably the most fitting answer I have ever seen.

Smite is still definitely in the same category as LoL and DotA, even though the perspective is different and the item icons are terrible (zing!).

This game, along with Binding of Isaac, Faster than Light (etc etc) are the Smites of roguelikes (roguelikelikes?), weird games with clever mashups of genres, but still at heart captures the same principles and tension that makes the genre tick.

jrodman says:

Well, I don’t think this game is in any way a roguelike. permadeath is a quite independent concept.

• rxyz says:

Torchlight in hardcore mode checks those. A Civilization version with no save button would check those. Are those also roguelikes?

Let’s look at the defining features of Rogue:

1. It’s an RPG
        2. It is turn-based
        3. It has randomly generated dungeons
        4. It is grid-based
        5. It has perma-death
        6. It has (ASCII-)symbols for all in-game aspects
        7. It has wide variety in monsters, items, character creation, challenges, etc. (although this might arguably be something that came in roguelikes rather than in Rogue)

Of these I think that (1) and (2) are most important (note that turn-based is really important since you should be able to really think through all your moves in advance to maximize the probability of success). I’d say (5) is mostly mandatory and that (3), (4) and (6) are usual but not strictly required. And then (7) is important because that is what makes the games fun and not too repetitive.

To say that games that only have (3) and (5) is making a too big leap imo.

I’d say that to even start considering something a roguelike it should be an RPG and has at least 4 out of the other 6.

• noodlecake says:

Nope. It just needs 3 and 5. When people say roguelike they mean games with procedurally generated maps and random loot and usually but not always random elements for the characters, and often but not always permadeath. It doesn’t really matter whether people argue about how much like rogue games that are branded as roguelikes are because this is becoming standard. It seems pointless to argue about. I have played a few proper roguelikes but when people say roguelike now it does tend to just refer to a very broad range of game genres with emphasis on procedurally generated levels.

12. engion3 says:

I’ve put probably 300-350 hours in “Dont Shit Your Pants” so I’m looking forward to this.

13. Phendron says:

Well that beats the pants off of Infinity Blade’s endless generic lineage.

14. Mdnthrvst says:

Roguelike isn’t spelled with a hyphen, and including such a mark is a telltale sign of one’s ignorance with respect to the genre at large.

Which you admirably cop to, but still.

15. Jupiah says:

I love how the assassin and ninja classes are wearing the same platemail armor and giant sword as the knight class.

16. Cloudiest Nights says:

My first thought when I saw this was this: http://riskofrain.tumblr.com/

And they have a Kickstarter up now. booYAH!

17. Bweahns says:

This looks sick. The added bonus is it should run just dandy on my girly’s netbook in the lounge room so I can sit my arse on the couch and play it there.

18. BurningPet says:

I think it would be great if they borrow our Buried towns mechanic so that you will not only explore randomly generated castles, but also other people built castles that are now are buried and partly ruined.