Imp-rove Impire With Some Free DLC

By Craig Pearson on April 18th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Cheese!
Did you dig Impire? Are you still delving deep into Paradox’s dungeon management game? Then this story is for you. Paradox are releasing an ore-ful lot of DLC for free, and they demond you play it. There’s a vein of new single-player, multiplayer, and customisation content being released for Impire. Please don’t take it for granite.

That last one was ‘granted’, FYI. The trouble is that I don’t know whether to aim for mining puns to cover the dungeon carving and building, or demonic puns to cover that side of it. Can you help me RPS readers? One thread for each, I reckon. Anyway, Impire’s new DLC digs into all of the game’s shafts. There are two new multiplayer modes: Hell on Wheels, where you’ll escort a wagon into the enemy base while protecting your own, and Survival, a co-op mode where you’ll protect their own unit from incoming heroes while attempting to build up a base of power. There are also a bunch of fiddles riddling the game, with new runes bringing additional powers, and customisation options to help your demon look just so. I don’t think it’ll be enough to improve it in Alec’s eyes, but if you enjoyed the game then there’s now more of it for you.

At 6pm tomorrow evening, Paradox will be hosting a live-stream of the game hosted by producer Joe Fricano. I actually really love that they take put the game and the producer live in the firing line like that. There’s nothing more appealing than a blooper.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. lordcooper says:

This is like when your grandma comes round and gives you a pair of horrible socks and the same book she bought you last year. Thanks for the nostalgia Paradox!

2. Rao Dao Zao says:

I think I’ll sit this one out, my puns tend to be imp-erfect and I get demonised for it. Load of schist, really.

3. strangeloup says:

It’s also still half price on Steam for a bit longer, if you fancy giving it a try.

I don’t, it looks pants, I’d play Dungeon Keeper again instead.

4. PopeRatzo says:

Wait, this is like a game I can go buy right now? It looks wonderful!

Why didn’t I know about this? Did RPS review it?

5. SirMonkeyWrench says:

It was being told that the cut scenes and jokes were so painful that made me chose not to buy it; I’ll eat up a dungeon keeper clone but I’m not going to choke down awful, unavoidable comedy, life is to short.

• Mr Coot says:

Well they are kind of horrible, but… so horrible that they transcend and become awesome. A bit like the movie Eating Raoul. Also the imp is voiced by John Pinette who I love. The VA itself is pretty good. The humour is dodgy… but I audibly guffawed at times. Yea, verily, I did chuckle. Totes cult classic B grade stuff. I actually have been doing all the side quests and look forward to the cut-scenes!

You’ll be unphased by the micro-management if you are someone who voluntarily manages every single city in Civ. The graphics are clean and cute. I’m getting my money’s worth. It aint DK (I have all 3 boxes on my shelf) but it is sufficiently amusing.

6. iridescence says:

Glad I saw Totalbiscuit’s review of this before buying it. He made it look about as fun as shoving hot knives under your eyeballs. I love to support Paradox but really can’t give them money when they publish turds like this.

7. Rollin says:

This game was terrible.

• Malibu Stacey says:

It’s developed by Cyanide. Anyone who expected anything else is the greatest optimist the world has ever known.

It appeared on Steam in mid-February & was 50% off exactly 2 months later for 4 days. No prizes for guessing why.

Comment on this story