Mods And Droxers: Drox Operative SDK Released

By Adam Smith on April 18th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Every single person who has ever complained about ARPGs being pinata-popping clickfests should play Drox Operative, or indeed any of Soldak’s previous explorations of the genre. A dynamic world, diplomacy, warfare and randomised quests all combine to make a game that avoids the tedium of gathering loot for loot’s sake. A few days ago, Soldak released an SDK for the game, containing documentation, examples and tools to assist modders, which means the universe should become even more interesting in the coming months. If you haven’t played Drox yet, consider this post a timely reminder to try the demo, at the very least.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Pryde says:

Why the hell it’s still not on Steam by the way? Soldak published their games there before but stuck now in greenlight-hell. It’s rather suspicious.

2. merc-ai says:

Looks like it’s a good time to go back to Drox and play some more toward lvl 100.
    The SDK might be awesome, especially if it could provide insights in game’s simulation system.

3. Uglycat says:

Din’s Curse was so much better imo.

4. BobbyDylan says:

I’ve head loads of good things about this… but it just looks like something I’d rather play on my tablet than my PC.

5. derbefrier says:

Fun game my major complaint is how slow your damn ships are. Never made it very far because of it. Its excrusiatingly slow and I get sick of it and quit after a few minutes.

• lordcooper says:

You can make your ship faster.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

Yes adding a better engine increases your speed, and bigger ships need more powerful engines for the same speed.

As long as you put a decent amount of points into helm it’s not that hard or expensive to keep at or near the maximum speed of 200 even as you go up in ship size. The max speed is fast enough to dodge non-homing projectiles and at that speed you’re almost as fast as most missiles and can shoot them down as they trail behind you.

You can exceed the max speed temporarily using thrust boosts and with that you’ll move fast enough that anything that isn’t a beam or AOE will have hard time hitting you, though you’ll also crash into minefields pretty easily if you’re not careful.

6. serioustiger says:

“Mods and Droxers”?

Cruel and unusual punishment, Adam.

7. Silva Shadow says:

Going to try out Drox Operative because I’m looking for a game that’s similar to Space Rangers 2.

It’s criminal that no one has made a true sequel to Space Rangers 2, but maybe Drox can fill the gap until Space Rangers HD is out in english.

8. Professor Paul1290 says:

Amusing things I’ve learned playing Drox Operative:

-The Shadow sometimes give the worst gifts, the nasty kind that seem nice at first but start rebellion when you unwrap them.

-Be careful of pulling Dryads into your alliance early if you intend to wage a lot of war, as the darn tree huggers are sometimes so peace loving and nice to everyone it can be hard to keep them on-task when you are at war.

-Relations between races may advance slowly if diplomat ships can’t make it between them without getting killed. Consider this a potential unmarked escort mission.

-Do not underestimate the power of technology. If your enemies seem like they are too tough and your allies seem like they can’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag, nine times out of ten your allies have a tech problem. In that case try some espionage to even things up a bit.

-Bounty Hunters are the most evil jerks in the galaxy.

-When deploying Gray Goo, DO NOT sit around and ask “Is it working?”, DO NOT panic and fly towards your co-op friends yelling “HELP ME!!!” if you see the goo on your ship, and above all do DO NOT run to a friendly planet for repair if you’re already infected!

-The first item in the above applies to doomsday devices in general.

9. The Random One says:

I can’t believe I have the bloody thing sitting on my hard drive (actually, I may have changed computers and brought it to a new hard drive) and haven’t played it since the time I couldn’t figure out I could press W to keep moving while shooting.