Schtick Fury: Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

By Adam Smith on April 18th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

The only Angry Video Game Nerd clip I’ve ever seen was a trailer for the movie. I don’t remember anyof it because after four seconds my brain assumed the whole thing was an in-joke and switched itself off. I recovered twenty hours later and now there’s a hole in my memory where that day should be. Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures is a platformer that mimics the appearance of many of the games that The Nerd throws swearwords at, with references to classics thrown in as well. In the trailer, I saw a deer doing a poo, which made me think of Castle Crashers, and the horrific moon from Majora’s Mask. What else is in there?

Riding a bleeding Santa Clause down a slope, as if he were a snowboard? Is that from Yoshi’s Island?

The footage is pre-alpha and there’s no release date yet. The game is appealing for your Greenlight support is already basking in the greenlight of Steam.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ulix says:

Doesn’t need our Greenlight support anymore, it has already been greenlit.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

Wow, that was quick. He does have rather a large and loyal fan base though. I like Mr Rolfe, seems like a nice chap.

3. Strangerator says:

Hmm, let’s see here.

0:12 Background with smiling hills is very Mario, while the heads the character jumps on are from Mega Man 2 or 3.

0:15 The flying surfboard is probably a reference to the Silver Surfer game, which is one of the ones most loathed on the show.

0:48 The rockets flying past are clearly cock-and-ball shaped, probably a reference to several games he’s reviewed that had similar, only this time on purpose.

Santa corpse sled is probably from some holiday episode I am not recalling at this time.

darkChozo says:

Mega Man 2, Air Man’s stage specifically. Only they were drills on the side then, not spikes (because it matters).

0:21 was rather Castlevania.

4. Dana says:

So if I replaced main character’s sprite, would you be able to tell it’s related in any way to AVGN ?

5. chiablo says:

Does anyone actually still like AVGN? It was funny at the beginning, but now it seems like he’s trying too hard.

• thegooseking says:

I’ve never found him funny, but I find him… oddly comforting.

• tobecooper says:

I think he’s tired of the angry nerd persona and would just prefer to talk about the games he enjoys.

But I’m with thegooseking I liked to watch him because he’s entertaining, not because he’s funny.

• Strangerator says:

Yeah, I’m pretty much in the same boat. Originally I watched for the laughs but over time you start to realize you just like watching his videos, some of which aren’t trying to be funny. It’s strange, even though I don’t even enjoy some of the things he does (e.g. old horror movies that are decidedly bad) I still appreciate watching his videos because he explains so well what he loves about said movies. You find yourself kind of agreeing. Apart from the Angry Nerd, he does some pretty genuine stuff.

• stirfry says:

His style is very entertaining even though the curse laden rants are a predictable feature. He does due diligence with his research and the analysis of bad game mechanics is extremely specific and well done. I’ve heard some viewers complain that they would just like the facts without his skits and cursing. He does calmly explain the history behind various games and publishers in depth for long stretches so there is a balance. Without any attempt at humor or the silly persona the videos would be like bland wikipedia articles and I wouldn’t be interested in watching that.

• killias2 says:

I know you said it would be bland, but, for anyone curious, Chrontendo basically does AVGN on steroids without the silliness. Basically, this guy is playing through EVERY NES/Famicom, Genesis/Megadrive, and Turbografx16/PCE game.. chronologically.. and talking in-depth about the history of console gaming.

Honestly, I like it a lot more than AVGN, even though I’m still a big fan of AVGN. Chrontendo is definitely one of my favorite gaming commentators on the internet.

http://chrontendo.blogspot.com/ – Website

• Minsc_N_Boo says:

I really like AVGN & the Cinemassacre website. I stumbled across “The Nerd” a few years ago. I started to watch them for the nostalgic value, but I do enjoy Rolfes slapstick comedy too.

The AVGN was something Rolfe got into by accident. He is a big fan of movies, and making his own videos. The Nerd was just another crazy video idea he came up with, but it got such a lot of love on youtube that it has become his main focus lately.

I love all the old horror movie reviews Rolfe does, and if you are a fan of horror or B-movies you should check out the Monster Madness reviews on his site

• Dowr says:

I did find AVGN’s earlier videos amusing and a little fascinating (old, rubbish games are interesting too me) but after a couple of years, his shticks got old.

• Mentalepsy says:

I feel the opposite. I find his early episodes much less watchable, because to me, those are the ones that seem to be trying too hard to sell the nerd persona. His later videos tend to be longer, more in-depth, and more critically precise, as well as featuring a broader variety of humor than just diarrhea-themed word salad.

Plus, persona or no, he definitely knows what he’s talking about. Many of his videos go into some pretty interesting video game history.

Henke says:

A couple of years ago when I had a spell of insane back-troubles and was bedridden (or rather, sofaridden) for a couple of weeks I discovered AVGN. I thought the movie and horror parodies were cheesy as hell at first, but he won me over after a couple of episodes. Ended up watching almost every single episode of the show. :)

6. greg_ritter says:

Not a fan of AVGN at all, him being an obnoxious potty-mouth, but, God help me, I LOVE Rolfe himself. I strongly recommend his look at old horror-movies and pulp culture. Highly informational and higly entertaining. Mr. Rolfe is a true nerd and I love him for this.

strangeloup says:

I have admittedly never watched this guy’s videos (the whole Ranting Guy In Front Of A Webcam thing is horrible and needs to die) but this looks worryingly like one of those cases where they think relying on shitty game tropes is okay if it’s a parody of them.

8. eclipse mattaru says:

I couldn’t care less about whatever this is (it being related to AVGN is reason enough to steer clear for me), but I just realized that RPS is the one site in the whole internet that hasn’t said a word about the recently revealed (and quite tasty, may I add) Dark Souls 2 gameplay trailer.

As the one person with good taste in this whole website (i. e., the one who included DS in that advent calendar thingie), you have a responsibility in this regard, mister Smith. So, if you could go ahead and keep up with the program, that would be terrific.

9. Danda says:

His videos are very well researched so even if you don’t like his persona, they are genuinely interesting.

Other people have tried to rip off his shtick and have failed miserably because they don’t get that it’s not the best thing about his videos. The insane, over-the-top profanity is just the payoff, not the whole point.