Big Is Beautiful: Monster Hunter Online Trailer

By Craig Pearson on April 19th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

WHAT?
I think that’s a giant squirrel in the screenshot. I could find out if it is, but to be told it’s not would only make me sad. And the cropping is odd because I refused to chop the tip off that magnificent sword the player is wielding. The two together can only mean one thing. Monster Hunter Online! It’s the newly announced MMO based the Capcom console game that everyone on my Twitter feed seems to scrabbling around in. It’s currently only planned as a Chinese free-to-play title, but we know such distinctions are meaningless and arbitrary in the world of PC gaming. If enough people want it, it will happen. Just ask publishers Tencent to run it through Google Translate.

It’s running in Cryengine 3. Sorry, it’s been “achieved” in Cryengine 3, and the general theme is that you hunt or capture a collection of monsters that appears to be a mix of dinosaurs, real-world beasts, and fantasy creatures. Hence the terrifying monstro-squirrel thing. I’m betting there are hit-points.

Ooh, it’s a beaver, not a squirrel. Though I’d argue when they’re armoured and huge that the distinction becomes meaningless. Are you playing the console game? Does the small leap it’s made to the PC excite you?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Sheng-ji says:

Oooh, monster hunter on PC, didn’t see that one coming! Yes please

2. Goodtwist says:

Slothface

3. El_Spartin says:

I can’t read any of the things, but it’s monster hunter so that’s ok.

4. gjrud says:

I really want a monster hunter title for PC, I don’t care if in Chinese, Japanese or Pirate Speech.
    I would prefer it being the “classic” game, but I’m ok with a f2p game if this is the only way that I will see it happen (without some software able to modify the space-time continuum in such a way that my PC is suddenly a WII). BTW, I’m pretty sure that the game was supposed to be “Japan-only”, not Chinese, is this a little mistake by Craig or did I miss something?

5. TechnicalBen says:

“Cryengine 3″ Wow, that looks gorgeous. Eat that Gamecube/wii/PSP!
    Though I had one of the PSP versions, and truthfully found it clunky and boring. But the atmosphere was nice, and it had some nice ideas in there (crafting seemed ok).

6. Gap Gen says:

I’d feel kinda sad killing those things. They’re just out in the forest, harming no-one. Unless the point is that the biggest monster is man.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It all depends on how you measure it. By extinctions the greatest monster is undoubtedly Man. Historically it may be Adolf Hitler, Ghengis Khan, or John Major. By human bodycount it may the deceptively weak and fragile mosquito. Still others claim it is that tiny fish that lives in South American rivers and swims up a stream of urine to lodge itself agonisingly in your urethra. But Science has proven that the greatest monster of all is Dracula.

• Gap Gen says:

I do not want Dracula lodged in my urethra, that’s for sure.

• Smion says:

While Dracula has held the title for the majority of the last century and the one before that, recent findings have proven Moray Eels are very likely to claim the top position in the next centennial election, due to the fact that they seem to be the Xenomorph from Alien but real (Seriously, google moray eel jaw and prepare to whimper in fright!). Conservative supporters of the current holder, as they are prone to do, blame Twilight.

• Gap Gen says:

Twilight is super pro-vampire. They’re all hot young guys with no big capes, coffins or sunlight conflagration. It’s like vampire revisionism 101.

• RedViv says:

Hidden behind that is insidious propaganda that only furthers the ages of oppressive stereotyping of vampires as ghastly beings that only go for their own goals, only that they are in this book included as mostly Oppressive or Passive-Aggressive Boyfriend types, instead of the far less relatable quasi-Eldritch goals of the true undead.

• -Spooky- says:

Stalin, Mao – you name it ..

• Kefren says:

You beat me to it, my thoughts exactly! Groups of wildlife killers merrily chopping away at everything that moves (or just stands there eating grass). I just can’t imagine having any fun with this. Maybe if the monsters were scary… but no. And it looks pretty bad with those silly big swords. At one point the character’s arms were passing through his own blade as he walked along. Still, back to the so-called monsters. It was definitely the posturing humans back at camp.

• Grargh says:

Women can be biggest monsters just as well, you privileged chauvinists!

• Widthwood says:

Looks like the guy on the screenshot is holding a giant feather, so maybe tickle fights are an option too..

• Feferuco says:

I liked the part when he gratuitously attacked the grazing pig. Just ran up to it and sworded the thing.

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

Well, I played the Wii one for a while and there are some missions where you don’t actually have to kill any monsters and can just collect resources and run errands and things…

This of course doesn’t stop the monsters from lumbering out of their lairs and trying to kill YOU in the most obnoxiously dogged ways possible. You get over the “Oh, the poor dears…” thing really quick and will doubtless find yourself wanting to build a house out of Rathian skulls in no time just for pure spite. :p

7. Hanban says:

You have my gunlance!

8. Shepardus says:

I wonder what sort of F2P model they’re planning for a game like Monster Hunter.

9. Chelicerate says:

i’m hyperventilating right now i want this so bad pleas omg please

10. RedViv says:

Monster Hunter Online: Get yourself some huge beaver, today!

11. Voon says:

I’d be ecstatic about another, possibly better PC entry for this series but Chinese-release only?! Oh great, Capcom. You just made this game in gorgeously realized in Cryengine3 but you just have to lock out from the rest of the world just like Frontier. Just fucking great

12. Niko says:

Monster Hunter games have been the only reason I’ve got a PSP. So hoping for this to be released, er, outside China.

13. bigjig says:

If only PC gaming was bigger in Japan and more Japanese developers ported their games over to the PC.. A man can dream..

14. DestructibleEnvironments says:

That is obviously a Sloth/Guinea Pig merging! If the game is free to play then I will look at it twice. If not, go away.

Edit: And it luckily is F2P.

15. ninjapirate says:

So this is like Pokemon for “adults”?

I had a sour taste in my mouth after reading “odd cropping is odd” though. I wish that tautology meme would finally die off.

• Niko says:

Uh, not quite, you don’t breed monster and they don’t (usually) fight between themselves.

• Grargh says:

What in Horace’s name was adult about that? “Here, we made some majestic peaceful and rare creatures, so go buy the most ridiculous gear from our store and slaugther them for no apparent reason.” Can you get much more immature with your setting?

• Don Reba says:

The monsters are metaphors for the demons within. Expensive weapons represent sacrifice. And co-op battles stand for becoming a better person through teamwork and individual excellence.

• DeZako says:

I always thought it was about slaughtering innocent wildlife.
          Inocent here being used in the most loose definition, since you can only apply it to a certain extent to a murderous monster full of claws and poison, and fire, not to mention its murderous intentions.
          Also, the game has a certain… “backstory”. You kill those monsters because they might be blocking a trade route, or they have killed someone, and a relative of that someone has put up a reward for it…. In the end, though, its about killing it, skinning it, and using its skin to make a bigger sword with which to kill its relatives.

• Grargh says:

Don, you might have read too much of that Yohalem interview.

• Don Reba says:

I read the Yohalem interview just now and it is wonderful. Thanks for the pointer.

• Flappybat says:

So you’re saying it’s a normal video game.

• Craig Pearson says:

Actually, that wasn’t supposed to happen. I have fixed it.

16. Don Reba says:

Phantasy Star Online 2 got some serious competition.

17. Aaarrrggghhh says:

I really wanted to get into Monster Hunter, as it seemed to be a thing that I could like, but the incredibly long, repetetive and mostly dull fights kept pissing me off. Fighting the same thing for 30 minutes, die because you did not know the pattern, eat, craft, rinse repeat. No thank you. Not for me.

• Niko says:

It does require some getting into it, and the fights could are long indeed, but when you finally learn all the monster cues and your weapons, the victory feels real great. At least I can’t really compare it to any other game where a big monster fight is usually all about reflexes or just smashing the buttons as fast as you can.

• Hanban says:

I think if you find the fights dull and repetitive, then you’ll probably not ever enjoy Monster Hunter. Speaking only for myself the grind of monsters is part of the appeal. It can get frustrating if you’re trying to get some very specific drop but for me there’s always a sense of achievement in perfecting a fight.

• Oozo says:

How does the combat compare to the one in “Dark Souls”, “Dragon’s Dogma” and “Shadow of The Colossus”?

I always thought that a game with the basic structure of “Monster Hunter” and the combat of either one of those games might be fantastic. (In fact, that’s pretty much how I imagine the game to be.) But is it comparable at all?
      (I guess “Shadow of The Colossus” is out, because it’s more a moving platformer in a way, but the other two?)

• Niko says:

It’s kind of weird, but Monster Hunter Portable 3rd on PSP has better monster animations than Dark Souls, and the game which combined strong sides of those two would be really great.

18. Grargh says:

By the way, Craig, you should get outside more often. Those water-loving critters with flat tails are totally not squirrels.

19. Don Reba says:

I have not really thought about it before, but watching this trailer, it strikes me that plate armour is actually terribly poor defence in a fight with fire breathing dragons and flame throwers.

• Niko says:

I don’t know about this particular game, but usually in the MH series armour strength isn’t really THAT significant. Well, it might mean a difference between death in 1 or 3 hits, but if you are really good, you can do without it.

20. StranaMente says:

I’m quite sure that in the screenshot they’re trying some choreography for a synchronized dance.

21. Dowr says:

Monster Hunter is a fantastic series, glad to finally see it coming to the PC. Shame it had to be in MMO form.

I’m curious if the developers will readjust the controls for M&K or if the game will recommend a game-pad for maximum hunting.

22. Mooglepies says:

Not sold on this, yet.

Monster Hunter already treads a very fine line between good-grindy and obnoxious-grindy and even now it doesnt always land on the right side of that line, with some armour or weapon sets requiring multiple items that have a 1% drop chance from monsters. I can see numerous ways of translating the game into the F2P model and very few of them, to my mind at least, translate into a structure I’d personally be willing/able to put up with

Also they seem to be using 2nd generation animations in this – surprising since the animations in the 3rd gen games are much better (less robotic).

Need more information or gameplay footage, and certainly some more knowledge of how they want to port across the crafting requirements to the traditionally grind-heavy focus of the Asian F2P MMO market.

Still, mustn’t grumble too much. It’s pleasant to see MH with a bit more graphical fidelity and it probabpy won’t make it to the West anyway. I suppose I’ll keep an eye on it, I am rather fond of the series.

23. SkittleDiddler says:

That’s Cryengine 3? Wow, ugly. Maybe the trailer is just lo-res.

24. Alextended says:

To the experienced player’s eye it looks like a shoddy 2nd rate outsourced effort. Hopefully it will improve but given it’s made by and for China it will probably have unfriendly for us payment models. When/if Capcom ever make a PC/next gen Monster Hunter it will look and animate (and play) 1000x better than this by artistic merit and talent alone. Until that happens you’re better off getting a 3DS for your Monster Hunter fix. Even if the textures aren’t high resolution on that, everything else makes up for it despite the difference in processing capabilities. It’s even ahead of this game’s flat environments and what not, it’s as if they based it on Monster Hunter 2 which has been outdated since 2010 (Tri). Well, even before that, but since those games were PSP ports of the PS2 games they were excused for it.

25. Zankmam says:

Pretty cool, I wonder how it will shape up. Too bad that it is Tencent, though.

26. Wolvaroo says:

This comes right after the announcement that the current official Monster Hunter Online (Frontier) is getting a G-rank expansion.

Unfortunately it is against their EULA to spoof your IP to Japan and then give them your money to play it. They will ban you for it too. There was a chinese f2p knockoff MMO that was a complete rip of monhun with the same animations/movesets/monsters called Hunter’s Blade you can play though. Not sure if it ever got shutdown.

As someone who bought a psp/3ds/WiiU(/and a PSVita but we all know how that panned out) solely to play monster hunter, I’d really appreciate it if they’d just localize one of these so I can give them my money and stop accumulating consoletoyfunboxes.

27. squareking says:

Dinosaur Slicing Simulator 2013

28. Lemming says:

An MMO in Cryengine 3? Wonder how they managed that?

29. sz2000 says:

Hi, as I know the news which not 100% confirm.
    The Trailer is record at a early time, and just use a medium level computer to run the game.

(I am a Chinese from HK)

30. Deviija says:

Oh my goodness, I want a Monster Hunter PC game so much. I’d prefer a regular multiplayer-type persistent game, or server/instanced. Like how MHTri on Wii was? As long as it plays like the console and handheld games rather than an MMO F2P model. The money shop and price gouging would likely send me into the abyss, sulking. I think it’d become less about hunting and adventures and more pay-for-grear/pay-for-currency to get the best items. And I imagine the drop rates would constantly be changed or made even more difficult for a F2P model due to need for the business to turn profit and sundry. And I’m definitely not knocking that — businesses need money to run and should be paid for services provided — but I’m less enthusiastic about what kind of game it could be reduced to over a product that is released as a whole game in itself and that people can just multiplayer in.

31. Koozer says:

Could someone please explain Monster Hunter to me? I tried the demo on the Wii U and it felt like a poor man’s Dark Souls. What am I missing?

• arccos says:

From what I’ve heard, that’s generally true. It’s about preparation and then execution of a plan, rather like Dark Souls. One of the big draws and why the Wii U version is getting big press is because the multiplayer is apparently rather good.

• SeismicRend says:

Dark Souls has better atmosphere and foreboding sense of danger as you explore. Monster Hunter lacks that world-building in favor of more involved boss fights.

The fights in Monster Hunter are more involved on several levels. Monster behavior includes more attack animations with the pace of combat varying due to the monster going into frenzy, becoming winded, and fleeing in panic. Monsters are more complex with hit zones and multiple breakable parts. Players must use utility items in addition to their weapon of choice (which very significantly in play style and each require their own mastery) to combat monsters. Finally battles are longer with failure a result of healing pot attrition instead of insta gibs.

Comment on this story