RunRabbitRun Is Great, Has Made My Hand Hurt

By John Walker on April 19th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Just look how great PC platform gaming is right now! We’re just inundated by lovely, interesting games. Yesterday I was being charmed by Ecotone, then hankering after some Rogue Legacy, and now I’m being challenged by the mad difficulty of the gorgeous RunRabbitRun. A completely free, entirely mad running-and-jumping game that is making me invent new swear words.

I’m not entirely sure if there’s actually a bad bug with the game, or if I’m just not very good at it, but I’m pretty sure there’s a delay on the jumping. That’s my excuse, anyway. The game is fairly simple – you play a small deranged rabbit, and you’re trying to get to each level’s exit flag in as short a time as possible. As a bunny, you’re very good at jumping, and can jump farther the more acceleration you have. Please now predict the ensuing chaos.

I mean, level 7 only took me 54 tries… It was around my 23rd go on level 10 that I hurt my right hand thumping it against the desk, because I DIED IN THE SAME STUPID WAY FOR A TWENTY-THIRD TIME AND IT’S OBVIOUSLY MY FAULT. Levels 8 and 9 were easy though.

At a certain point I lost track of whether my pretend sobbing was about to break out into a fullblown nervous breakdown. I fully recommend this game.

No, I really do, even though it now hurts to type thanks to my idiotic thumping. Every level is beautiful to look at – a perfection in simplicity. And they’re damned fun to play too, each grisly death at the teeth of a whirring blade entirely your own fault (unless the jump is a fraction delayed, and I’m clinging on to the belief that it is.) And heck, it’s all for free, from Russian developer Flat12. The music’s amazing too, and can be downloaded for free from the game’s site. However, he does accept donations to “keep alive”.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Sivart13 says:

Looking at the screenshot, which looks like a palette-swapped Meat Boy, and reading the text about “my 23rd go on level 10″, I thought this might be satire. Surely our international “masocore platformer” phase is over.

It includes a link to some other website, though, so I guess not.

2. Baddiekins says:

This is such a blatant Super Meat Boy ripoff, its ridiculous.

• Rapzid says:

Yeah, but it’s free.

• SuffixTreeMonkey says:

True. The article has me stumped though. Is Mr. Walker aware of the fact that it’s a huge ripoff, artistically, gameplay-wise and et cetera? My sarcasm detector can’t decide if the reading is positive or not. And if he is indeed sarcastic, are the other indie games in the series, which he mentioned in the article, also pure garbage?

I don’t think it deserves the publicity of being on RPS. Especially not with the mention of donations.

• Midroc says:

Maybe John just completely missed all and everything pertaining to SMB and thought this game was the first of its kind? A possible explanation might be that he was asleep all of 2010, and if so you can’t really blame him of being completely oblivious of it.

• padger says:

This.

He’s clearly missed SMB completely and is impressed with a lesser imitation. Easily done, I guess. THe RPS guys can’t play everything.

(I can’t be bothered to scroll back to see who actually reviewed SMB, but I bet it wasn’t Tim Stone.)

• SuffixTreeMonkey says:

It was Quinns, it seems.

• MondSemmel says:

Yeah. Art style, sawblades; even the first few levels are essentially clones of SMB levels.

This game does not serve the publicity RPS provides.

3. Ross Angus says:

OK, I’ll take up John’s suggestion to invent new swear-words: Butterscotch. Fisc-candle. Goblet-warmer. Crund..

• Shadowcat says:

Ooh. fun!

Scrag. Frangler. Worzelmunge.

• The Random One says:

Those are perfectly cromu- no, no, this won’t do. We need a new thing specifically for swears.

…Those are perfectly torpulent words.

4. RedViv says:

Super Meat Brian?

5. james.hancox says:

Wasn’t this in the Mumble Indie Bungle?

6. dr. crake says:

This article is pure sarcasm, right? It has to be… Even some of the levels are copied from SMB. Just look at the second level in the trailer.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Yeah, this article needs to be re-written… something seriously unethical seems to have taken place in the development of this knock-off.

• greenbananas says:

Used to be “imitation is the highest form of flattery”, now it’s “seriously unethical”.

Unless that was sarcasm. We do need some punctuation for this.

• dr. crake says:

I see your point, but there is a huge difference between drawing inspiration from or imitating certain elements of a game and just blatantly copying levels etc.

• Simplisto says:

Reading ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?’ and being inspired to write a novel about a dystopian future populated by androids – imitation.

Reading ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?’ and being inspired to write a novel about a bounty hunter named Dick Reckard (hehe), who is faced with eliminating six escaped androids – theft.

-EDIT-
          Unless it’s a parody, of course!

Let’s just keep it simple, shall we? STEALING LEVEL DESIGNS IS NAUGHTY!

• greenbananas says:

@ crake

Legally, the issue is whether or not he made the content himself or CRTL+C, CRTL+V’d SMB and try to pass it off as his own. From what I saw in the trailer of this and what I played of SMB, he didn’t. Morally…. how can I put it? You know what the furthest thing from your mind was before this post? SMB. What are you thinking about now? Right. This has been described above (and would be described by anyone who played it, I assume) as a poor man’s (free) version of SMB. Anyone playing it would be getting the feeling they’d rather be playing SMB. Anyone who didn’t know what it is will suddenly find out about a superior version called SMB. So on one level he place the platforms and the traps in the exact same place… so what? SMB is the beneficiary here (apart from the maker/musicians who get to show off their talents/lack thereof, and for no cost to you, I might add), so complaining about this seems… nitpicky at best. At worst, it’s publicly lynching some poor sod for making what still is a very obvious and honest imitation. What would you then do to modders?

@ Simplisto

Good for you for noticing the fault in your argument, but there’s only so many bandages you can put on an injured man before you turn him into a mummy. You might’ve noticed that jails the world over aren’t packed back to back with the people that write all those lousy fanfics because, fortunately for them (and unfortunately for the rest of the world), “what makes Simplisto angry” isn’t the legal definition of Theft. Naughty I can sort of agree with; unimaginative and mostly harmless would be my interpretation.

• dr. crake says:

@ greenbananas: You’re right with what you wrote – but my “problem” wasn’t the fact that some guy made a “SMB-very-much-like”. I was just wondering if the whole article was sarcastic, given the look, gameplay and level design of the game and the fact that Mr. Walker didn’t mention SMB anywhere in the article. Of course the RPS guys can’t play EVERY game, but I can’t imaging that he doesn’t know that SMB exists / how it looks like.
            It’s just… strange, you know?

• Simplisto says:

@greenbananas

It wasn’t a fault in my argument that I was covering, but the fault in that particular example I chose. Let me be clear – using content developed by someone else is plagiarism. I stand by that.

That’s not to say it’s a simple topic. The use of photography in non-profit artwork is a tricky one for instance. This however, is something else entirely.

The time, effort and money that Team Meat put into developing SMB’s concept, level design and superb mechanics has been snatched from right under their noses. You may argue that this is a free game so no harm is done – hey, maybe it’ll even help draw attention to the game it imitates – but as a graphic designer I don’t see it that way.

To give an equivalent example in my line of work; imagine someone copying a piece of infographics another designer has made. They may have used a different colour palette and imagery, but they nevertheless have an additional piece of work in their portfolio which would not be there if it weren’t for your research on the subject and your development on how that information should be displayed. That ain’t right, Mister.

Besides, although the game is ‘free’, these guys cheekily asking for donations on their website and it remains to be seen whether their ‘free’ Android and IOS versions will be ad-supported. I doubt they’ll ever get close to Team Meat’s profits, but they might still manage to make a bit of money out of this. We’ll see in time.

• MrMud says:

There is a difference between imitation and plagiarism

7. Pliqu3011 says:

It’s like Super Meat Boy, only with terrible controls, no brilliant wall-jump, confusing level design (the ones that aren’t ripped of completely of SMB) and none of the overall satisfaction of SMB.
    I was prepared to like this, since it looked pretty nice, but this game is just horrible. But it’s free, so there’s that.

• kyrieee says:

If you want a decent free SMB clone try “Skullface”.

• IanWharton says:

Skullface is great.

• David Bliff says:

PETA’s “Super Tofu Boy” was also good.

• Phasma Felis says:

Why not try Meat Boy? You know, the free Flash game that came before Super Meat Boy? Has everyone forgotten about that? I guess it’s hard to google for these days…

• Kobest says:

They probably looked at the wall-jumping mechanic in SMB, and thought “screw this, we’re just going to put a jump pad instead!”

8. EthanML says:

Wait, this isn’t a joke? I already played SMB, several times. It’s amazing, but I don’t need such a blatant clone of it. Taking the piss.

• Noburu says:

Yeah honestly it looks like a real rip-off of SMB. Really surprised they would even post this here.

If this is suppose to be some kind of joke, it failed. Its given someone who basically copied another game free press.

• Crazy Horse says:

I really don’t understand all this outrage. The guy liked a game, so what? This site is meant as an entertaining blog and not one of those sites obsessed with assigning numerical values to enjoyment of everything.

• Derppy says:

The issue is that John didn’t seem to even acknowledge how blatant and bad SMB ripoff this game is.

I’m all for using other games as inspiration and even making “clones” to some extent, but it’s just ridiculous to take assets and levels from another game and couple them with a lot worse mechanics. It’s like you took Half Life and replaced a few levels with terrible ones, then implemented your own shooting mechanics that suck. The game might still be enjoyable, but a review should acknowledge it’s a blatant ripoff and there’s a vastly superior, original game available.

It irks me a lot because I think Super Meat Boy is quite simply the best platformer game ever created and this is a sacrilege to it.

9. Rapzid says:

It’s a shame it’s not a better SMB clone.

10. fish99 says:

Taking a close look at that character, it’s literally just Meat Boy with some ears drawn on. The saw blades look like they were lifted from SMB too. What is this: Plagiarism :The Game?

11. august says:

I’ve donated to this site previously to make up for the fact that I use an adblocker.

Articles like this, and that artcile a year or so ago promoting an online game delivery service that clearly was pushing pirated material, make me question that decision.