The Evil Within Trailer Is Within

By Craig Pearson on April 19th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Yes, this is larger than images on the RPS front page usually are, but when you have a brain wrapped in barbed wire with a house growing out the stem, then you bloody well post it
What do you keep your evil in, readers? Do you have demonic tupperware? Perhaps an armoire of awfulness? I have a drawer of despair that I open every now and then, just to make sure my pants are not being burned up next to my socks of suffering. Bethesda keep their new survival horror, The Evil Within, within the most evil box of all: IGN [Lightning, sound of booth babes screaming]. They have the ‘exclusive’ first look coming up next week, so all we’re left with is a live-action trailer that shows us nothing of the game. Enjoy!

It was formerly known as “Zwei“. You know, as in “Zwei are we letting only one website have a look at our game?” It is from Shinji Mikami, who made Resident Evil. Therefore I’m legally obliged to suggest he is some sort of aged relative to the entire genre.

[Clears throat]: “From an elderly neighbour of the survival horror genre, I present a trailer that has no game footage, and therefore adds no real knowledge to your understanding The Evil Within. It might resemble bits of the game, but that means they made the game then spent more money on recreating it, rather than just showing it to you. What’s all that about?”

I guess we’ll find out next week.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

nasKo says:

I hope the sound design improves in the actual game.

The concept of live action trailers/teasers that are not fan-/community-made is something I will never understand.

Anthile says:

At least it didn’t turn into Bachstep. Gods know there is no greater horror.

3. Brun says:

IGN [Lightning, sound of booth babes screaming]

Loving the Young Frankenstein reference. This is why I read RPS.

RedViv says:

Ah, so that’s what all that was about. No Fallout thing, despite 40s records spinning and worlds burning.

Let’s see if this is any good. Would be time for some proper big budget survival horror to be made. Has been a few years.

5. Saarlaender39 says:

So, another Game of Horror taking place in an (former) Asylum?

Jonfon says:

Don’t worry. I’m sure they’ll come up with something more original for the second level, like a hospital populated with stripper-nursers with tumours for heads, or some Deep, Dark Woods.

• Soldancer says:

Seriously, this.

I love horror, and I’m pretty easy to please/willing to suspend disbelief, etc. But ENOUGH of the scary asylum thing already. I can’t remember if the article was on RPS or not, but I recently read a really interesting article about why mental hospitals feature so heavily in horror ficiton/games, and it reached some rather uncomfortable conclusions about how most modern society still views mental health.

As someone who deals with mental health issues and has recently spent time in a hospital for treatment of said issues, I’m a bit more sensitive to the portrayal of archaic methods of both disease treatment and patient treatment. We’ve progressed past the 1900’s in terms of understanding and treating mental disease, it’s time our fiction started to recognize that.

I’m still a tiny bit interested, but honestly I’m a lot more excited about Among the Sleep. Originality and atmosphere working in tandem can go far in invoking true horror and dread rather than the done-to death Silent Hill formula of gore and weird monster design in stayed and overused locations.

• Doghaus says:

Ha, yes!

I remember watching terrible Halle Berry horror vehicle “Gothika” at the cinema with my girlfriend at the time. There is a scene where Halle Berry, newly admitted to the asylum, goes out into a yard of extras pretending to be “mentally ill,” including two extras comically belting a volleyball into the net over and over again. My girlfriend turned to me, rolling her eyes, and said “yeah, because mad people can’t play volleyball.”

I don’t know why our idea of an asylum is stuck in the 19th Century, populated by ridiculous shambling stereotypes.

Even mindless shooters get beautifully realised, imaginative environments (with such painfully limited possibilities for interactivity, grumble grumble), why can’t survival horror games?

6. Trent Hawkins says:

is this even a game trailer?

Reminds me of all those 90s game commercials that showed you anything but the game.

7. TheMick says:

I just logged in to give Craig props for his zwei comment. you have earned this lol sir.

Lol.

Oh also hooray survival horror, please be scary. I have faith in Shinji-san, after playing a good bit of RE6 I’m ready for pants-browning and less ” oh wtf was that” * slams mouse*

8. Zeewolf says:

Urk, that was kinda disgusting.

9. Bhazor says:

Those are some of the worst monsters I’ve seen in a long time.

I mean a guy covered in glass? A guy with a locked safe on his head and armed with a meat tenderizer? Fucking Sheeva from Mortal Kombat?

Jacob’s Ladder still looms over the whole dang genre and it seems the only developers (Team Silent, the Siren team) who ever actually made it work are long long dead.

• Adam Smith says:

Monster designs remind me of The Suffering.

• Archipelagos says:

I quite liked the “tentacles-in-a-box” dude, that made me giggle. Maybe they’ll go full Lovecraft.

• cauldron says:

Ah Jaccob’s Ladder…
      So many tried to beat that.

• Bhazor says:

I didn’t see Jacob’s Ladder until like 2009 and I honestly thought it was a Silent Hill movie. Just you know much much much much much much much much much better than the actual Silent Hill movies.

Its amazing just how many games and terrible films it’s inspired. It’s a mixed legacy. On the one hand we have SIlent Hill the game on the other we have Silent Hill the movie.

10. Calabi says:

Looks very 80s inspired, in a bad way.

• Bhazor says:

My theory is that the people directing modern horror grew up on the old 80s video nasties and now they’re trying to replicate it. Problem being there’s no gore taboo anymore so it’s like they’re trying to shock video nasty style but now we’re completely desensitised to it. Sadly the directors didn’t notice and so they just keep on doing it.

• frightlever says:

Just look at relatively mainstream (albeit premium cable) TV like Spartacus and Banshee. I needed a stiff drink before sitting down to watch Banshee – never knew what was getting snapped, torn off or chewed on next.

• Shuck says:

I think you’re right. The ’80s are a hugely influential period for game developers (even the ones too young to have experienced it), for some reason.

11. Hunchback says:

I refuse to watch this trailer. LARP trailers for games are about as useful as this comment

Jonfon says:

I found this comment very insightful and useful.

*checkmate*

12. Don Reba says:

Very nice music. I feel deeply shamed, but can’t for the life of me remember the name. Little help?

13. Tomo says:

Nice hover on the brain picture :)

14. JFS says:

How come the brain-and-barbed-wire logo looks a lot like Africa? Which then has “The evil within” written all over Sudan and Kenya? Hopefully not another shameful attempt at covert racism (boooh, RE 5, boo!).

15. Maxheadroom says:

The shockingly generic PR waffle is putting me off already and smacks of someone who doesnt know anything about it themselves:

““We’re incredibly proud to announce The Evil Within,” said Mikami. “My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of horror and action.”

or as it read a few minutes before the announcement:

“We’re incredibly proud to announce [Insert Title Here],” said Mikami. “My team and I are committed to creating an exciting new franchise, providing fans the perfect blend of [Genre] and [Genre].”

16. Parrot says:

Did J.S.Bach join the band Tool?

• Soldancer says:

That would just about be the most amazing thing ever. Ode to Parabola. Schism in D Minor.

golem09 says:

oh god, the ign player can be embedded?

The end of the world is near.

18. sonson says:

In which a brain looks like Africa, and the real monster is man

strangeloup says:

It’s as if they gave the producers of a trailer a checklist of horror cliches and challenged them to include as many as possible.

Either that or they made them watch either or both of the astonishingly shit Silent Hill movies and said “basically just copy that”.

(The game logo made me think of covers/posters for The Cabin In The Woods (the house, general style) and the Saw films (BRAIN WRAPPED IN BARBED WIRE BECAUSE FUCK SUBTLETY))

20. Shooop says:

Some OK monster design (except for glass-man – has there ever been a lazier design?), but horror and actions games have not mixed well.

All enthusiasm curbed until they show some footage of it actually being horrifying.

21. Outsider says:

I’m disappointed the game was not Fallout 4. I think it is a mistake to not be developing that next.

• Rosveen says:

The Evil Within is not being developed by Bethesda, they’re only publishing it. They still haven’t announced what’s that “new project” they abandoned Skyrim for.

22. serioussgtstu says:

Here’s some photos of what the game actually looks like http://imgur.com/a/k4RTn

• Wombats says:

Those screenshots looks properly scary.
      Some of those shots are straight out of American Horror Story season 2 and the intro to Season 1.
      Overall bastard surgeon reminds me of House on Haunted Hill.
      I’m not sure what all these negative posters were expecting.
      Maybe the only thing that could scare them is 20/20 vision of the howling chasm in their own souls.

23. dethtoll says:

Awful title, awful trailer, awful everything. The gameplay better convince me.

24. TaroYamada says:

Glad to see this come to PC even if I typically dislike horror games, Mikami is one of the most talented individuals in this industry. I’m still upset we never received a port of the game he worked on with SEGA/Platinum, Vanquish. I consider it the best third person shooter ever.

• engion3 says:

Yes, one of my favorite games on console. The controls actually felt good for a shooter.

25. S Jay says:

This trailer makes as much sense as the vine teasers.

26. Artista says:

Holy shit, graphics are looking so realistic. Can’t wait.

27. Obc says:

copypasted from a comment by /u/Accipehoc from the reddit thread (http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1co8d4/bethesdas_new_game_looks_horrifying/):

“This is what’s known so far:

Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls…

Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you’ll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you’re being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201304/19032216.html and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54573339&postcount=488

IMO, it sounds like a mix of Resident Evil 4, Haunting Ground, and Silent Hill.”

when you include this with the in-game images provided by the commentator “serioussgtstu” ( http://imgur.com/a/k4RTn ) in this article the game, it looks like it might deliver on these lofty goals. Even more so when you think about who is spearheading it all: Shinji Mikami. He did deliver two amazing survival-horror games that paved way to a many copy cats and started a few now standard game-mechanics.

on another note: since when is bethesda working with a japanese developer? or the other way around: since when is mimaki/a japanese DEVELOPER working for a western company and even doing something for a PC? (and can Bethesda release Vanquish on PC pretty please? its an awesomely stupid story with amazing action)

Also, is this the beginning of the rise of the japanese developers on the PC Market? I mean, even DS2 is coming straigh ahead on the PC. God, i hope so as this would benefit both gamers as well as the kinda-creativly struggling japanese developers. (e.g.: Konami tries making many games without their old-school team and it either turns shit or kojima has to step back in to deliver something noteworthy or as in the case of revengangeananana its totally given up on cause kojima doesnt want to do EVERYTHING. I think he hates the people he appoints as Director by now)

28. Dog Pants says:

Considering that is what appears to be a hospital, some of those people are receiving appalling health care. I don’t believe one of them has been to medical school.

29. SkittleDiddler says:

Glad to see I’m not the only PC gamer who’s lukewarm about this. I’ve never understood the strange attachment console players have to Mikami and his work.

• Obc says:

what not to like about him? His work on the RE series is amazing all on its own. The moment he stepped away from RE, the series went full retard. (His last official RE related job was RE4). Plus he did Vanquish which despite having a retarded plot plays sooo sooo well and looks good too. He hasnt produced a bad game either even though some it of it very weird (Killer7/Shadows of the Damned).

Also, most of the releases he has been attached to (either as director or producer) are console bound and thus console players are attached to him like pc gamers are attached to their mostly pc only developer/producers (e.g. Chris Avellon, Tim Shafer, Notch,..)

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s all entirely subjective, of course, but I don’t like his style of game design and I’ve always considered the Resident Evil series to be full retard from the beginning. Ultimately though, it’s the type of diehard fanboyism he attracts that really turns me off. The man just can’t make a bad game in some people’s eyes.

• Obc says:

well any rabid fanboys of anyone always say such things so it doesnt bother me and shouldnt reduce my fondness of said person.

but yeah RE was shlock from the get go but when the first parts of RE were released the B-Movie shlock was kinda endearing and even if the plot was low brow it didnt diminish my enjoyment of the game play which was something new at its time (atleast for me). Later Mikami reinvented the style of RE when it seemed it was getting stale. so props for that. i like mikami as much as i like kojima. both do horrible stuff narrative wise and have some poor choices redarging gameplay but the overall experience is still quite joyful and most of the time very different to what everybody else is doing.

so i dont know what i am even going on about. clearly you dont hate mikami but just dont liek this work much, which is totally acceptable so i dont even know what i am arguing for maybe just that diehard fanboys will be diehard fanboys so dont let your taste of someone reduce just because of them. (or else i’d have given up on so many other game designer or bands or directors xD)

30. derbefrier says:

/yawn

horror games are soooo boring. Well this is a disappointment.

• Davie says:

I hate to tell you this, but nobody cares if you have nothing to say. Really. You don’t have to waste your clearly valuable time expressing your apathy.

31. Crosmando says:

So I followed the link to the game imbedded in this article and it went to this “Sign Up to Facebook” thing. WTF is with these people, I have to sign up to that just to view information on a computer game?

pls stop trying to force this “social networking” garbage on people, it has nothing to do with games, kthnxbai

32. DanMan says:

Dear developers, stop calling your games franchises in front of us gamers! We’re not your shareholders! It sounds like you’ve already planned out the next 5 years of how to grab as much money from us as possible. “The Evil Within Flamethrower! – The kids love it!”.

Much appreciated.

Also, that 2nd pair of arms? Totally fake. *cough*

33. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Upon seeing the header image out of the corner of my eye, I thought this article was something to do with the new Evil Dead film.

I can’t decide whether to be glad or disappointed it isn’t. :/

34. Nest says:

Screenshots make it look like it will be exactly like Resident Evil 4 but without the Resident Evil characters, setting, or story. Which sounds good to me.