The RPS Bargain Bucket: Get Round The Back

By Lewie Procter on April 20th, 2013 at 6:26 pm.

I’ve got something for you. It’s bucket full to the brim of cut price games! The bucket may be metaphorical, but the discounts are very much real. If you just can’t get enough of buying games for slightly less than you might have expected to pay for them, I recommend you visit SavyGamer.co.uk for a constantly updated record of gaming savings for all platforms.

Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster, Icewind Dale II, Planescape: Torment & The Temple of Elemental Evil – £4.83/€6.44/$6.44
Apply coupon “elder-geek.com”.
That’s a lot of RPG for your money. Here’s what some bloke called Kieron said about Planescape Torment back in 2007:

While we’re a long way from the videogame equivalent of a Tolstoy or a Dostoevsky, for what it’s worth, Planescape is as close as we’ve come, and worthy of real literary consideration. Of course, such dry analysis always turns people away from the Great dead Russians – when it should be remembered these are works full of life and joys and – yes – deep sadness. The same is true here. It’s a philosophical buddy-hatey road movie based around the search for the self and the endlessly reiterated question “What can change the nature of a man?”. And you find yourself lingering on that. Not just what can change the nature of your character – but what made you and what manner of man are you anyway.

More here.

Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII: The Beginning – 67p/€0.67/$0.99
A pair of excellent lo-fi comedy RPGs for next to nothing. These are great examples of games that parody their own genre tropes and traditions, whilst also innovating around them. Sidestepping the cinematic tangent that JRPGs seemed to go off on after Final Fantasy 7, with elaborate cutscenes and battle animations, these games focus on a rapid battle system where you’re never waiting around for your next move. Dungeons, too, have a limited number of forced random encounters, and once you’ve beaten enough enemies you can explore unimpeded. I’d say these are an essential purchase if you’ve got any interest in Japanese RPGs, or even if you’ve been put off by the flabby baggage that goes along with lots of the other games in the genre. It’s no surprise to me that they were asked to finish off the Penny-Arcade game series (and their entry in On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness is on sale too).

FIFA 13 – £6.56/€7.65/$9.99
This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address. Registers on Origin.
The thirteenth entry in EA’s long running pong clone series. After the cliff-hanger ending of FIFA 12, no doubt everyone is eager to find out if the angry man really did kick the ball into the back of the net, or if the other angry man stopped him by catching the ball in his hands. Foot-to-ball! Gripping stuff, eh? Did Newcastle United’s Samuel Ameobi ever get his likeness accurately portrayed in the game, or is he still just “Standard Black Guy“? Since this is more a simulation of odious Sky Sports coverage of football than people kicking a ball around a field, it’s plastered from head to toe in adverts. You may want to disregard everything I have said about this game, since as you can likely tell, I’ve not played it, and I’m probably never going to. Everything know about Foot-to-ball I learnt from New Order.

Dead Island [A Game That Came Out This Year Edition] – £4/€4/$4.
Apply coupon “GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA”. Registers on Steam.
A stupid game about zombies, because there are no other interesting game design challenges left.

Good lord, it’s weird. This is a world in which it costs over $1000 to fix a broken baseball bat. Who is charging this money is never explained, and exactly what it’s being spent on is never made clear. But so it is that when it comes to repairing your favourite augmented weapon, the bill can be staggering. It’s damned strange enough that people are selling you the bare essentials for survival as it is. After all, you’re the only person who dares to go outside, and you’re working to save their lives. But still, they want over $3000 for that machete they have. But that you have to pay money to fix or upgrade your equipment is mind-boggling.

More here.

Deal of the week
Portal & Portal 2 – £4.49/€6.24/$6.24.
Or get the first one for £1.74/€2.24/$2.49 and the second for £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
individually.
Is Portal the best game of the last decade? I think it might be. I reckon most of you have probably played it by now, but for those of you who’ve spent the last 50,000 years sealed in a stasis chamber, Portal is a masterclass in interesting systemic puzzle design, technology led game design, ridiculously efficient storytelling, and comedy in games. Portal 2 is as good a sequel as we could have probably hoped for, and it’s sure got a lot more content than the original, but despite giving it their best, Valve didn’t quite recapture the magic of the original for me. I think the shorter campaign of the original game, and the fact that it was a brand new idea, played in its favour. Both are essential though, and you’d be silly to miss out on this price.

Also of note:
Guns of Icarus Online – Pay What You Want. Registers on Steam.
AI War: Fleet Command, Fortune Winds: Ancient Trader, Sanctum, Underrail & Zigfrak – £5.22/€7.12/$7.59. Apply coupon “elder-geek.com”. AI War: Fleet Command & Sanctum register on Steam.
AI War: Fleet Command – £1.74/€2.49/$2.49
AI War: Alien Bundle – £2.99/€4.24/$4.24
A Valley Without Wind & A Valley Without Wind 2 – £2.37/€2.87/$3.74
Shattered Haven – £1.74/€2.49/$2.49
Tidalis – 99p/€1.24/$1.24
Edge – £2.74/3.49/$3.99
Battlepaths, Beast Boxing Turbo, Croixleur, Dawnstar, Diehard Dungeon & Out There Somewhere – £3.03/3.53/$4.62
Gimbal, Kill Fun Yeah, Mass Effect 2, Shadowgrounds, Shank 2 & Zombie Driver HD – £3.93/€4.58/$5.98. Shadowgrounds, Shank 2 & Zombie Driver HD register on Steam. Mass Effect 2 registers on Origin.
Telltale promo at GOG.

For all the cheap games, all the time, get over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Forral says:

Still can’t believe that Mass Effect 2 is an indie game. Anyone would think AAA given the graphics. EA, the indie of the future.

welverin says:

It is a Canadian game, which is the point of that particular bundle.

• KDR_11k says:

Kinda silly that it’s still called Indiegala though. The Humble THQ Bundle wasn’t called indie.

• MSJ says:

If the point is “Canada”, wouldn’t ME1 be more appropriate since that’s where you see more of Proud Canadian Kaidan Allenko? He’s only in ME2 for a bit (and only if he survived Virmire/you play as FemShep).

Always love that scene in the Citadel DLC for ME3, where Kaidan finally admits to his Canadian-ness (“The food of my people”).

• Shuck says:

Given that there’s a Polish-made game, a couple US-made games, a Swedish-made game and a Finnish-made game in that bundle, I really don’t get it.

• Delicious Narwhal says:

It might also be worth mentioning that the bundle is, in part, a fundraising effort for a Canadian political candidate.

(You’ll need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to find out about that bit)

• Harrington says:

Woah. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve supported the NDP in the past, but that makes me kind of uncomfortable – and it’s hard to not send revenue his way, since he’s lumped into the developers category. Gross. Guess that’s a pass.

2. misterT0AST says:

Am I the only one having problems with Greenman Gaming?
    Here on RPS it says that Dead Island is 4€, but on the site it’s 4.99€, and it’s not the first time: even from “isthereanydeal.com” they usually show a price, then I get to Greenman Gaming and it’s actually more expensive. I tried purchasing two games from them over the years and both times “an error occurred” and I didn’t manage to get them.
    Maybe it’s a matter of “price regions”? I live in Italy, and I’m not even sure if we’re supposed to get the prices for Western Europe, or lower ones, like in the Balkans.
    Is it Greenman Gaming? Is it my country, or is it just a series of mistakes and coincidences?

• x1501 says:

“Here on RPS it says that Dead Island is 4€, but on the site it’s 4.99€…”

You should get another 20% off that €4.99 when you use the coupon code mentioned by the article (GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA).

• dE says:

With Greenmangaming, it’s usually a case of “let’s see who actually reads stuff”. They’ve got this very odd habit of throwing out voucher codes for just about everything. These are often hid away on their Blog or some corner of their storepage. A bit counterintuitive as it means you’ll need to scavenge for these things everytime you do business with them.

Anyways, try this one, it might just work with Dead Island (from the blog and the article ;), one of their odd catch almost all vouchers):
      GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA

Those transaction things? Rumor has it that happens when they run out of keys. Not sure about it as I rarely deal with Greenmangaming.

• CantankerousDave says:

Actually, it seems more like they just keep selling them regardless. During their recent Bioshock Infinite preorder sale, they sold hundreds of people keys that were already activated, or failed to send out keys at all for the game itself, as well as the extra games that were part of the preorder bundle, *and* didn’t send out the $14 cash back that was part of the bundle for those of us who chose that option. *Then* we were treated to the laziest, most pathetically incompetent customer service on the face of the planet. Some people are still waiting. Do you know they *hide* how to open a support ticket? And when/if you do hear back, it’ll just be a copy/pasted response, and your ticket will be closed without actually solving anything.

Apparently, the same thing happened during their Borderlands 2 preorder sale, so they pretty clearly don’t have any intention of fixing anything. They also aren’t showing any interest in making it up to the affected parties. Ignore the problem and hope it goes away, that always works.

Anyway, I owe the good Mr. Procter an apology. I used to think he was being paranoid back when he ignored GMG sales.

• AngoraFish says:

Still waiting for my Bioshock cashback here. In hindsight, should have gone with store credit which I would have already spent by now.

• CantankerousDave says:

I’m not about to spend more money at a service that have shown that they can’t be trusted. A company run by adults would have made a public mea culpa, explained what went wrong, what they are doing to both fix it and ensure that it doesn’t happen again, what they intend to do to make their customer support system actually work (it was so broken that they told people to post their user names and support ticket numbers in a thread on their ludicrously privacy-invasive forum – it reached 19 pages in length before they locked it, even though complaints were still coming in on their twitter and facebook pages), and offered something to the people affected to earn back their trust. Not a *single one of those things* has been done. They clearly intend to go on, business as usual, fundamentally broken systems still in place. Geez, even the “Most Evil Company in the World” made a token gesture to SimCity users. These guys? Nope.

• fish99 says:

Thanks for the warning, I’ll think very hard before using them again.

• CantankerousDave says:

And now there’s a kerfuffle over invalid codes for Crysis: Maximum Edition, a bad Dead Island preorder deal, a payment system that only works half the time, and may charge you multiple times either way. *And* their support system is still… not. It’s genuinely like a bunch of kids trying to run a business while the adults are out of town.

3. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Foot-to-ball!

GUFFAW!

Never gets old, that one!

4. mbp says:

Don’t forget that Portal 2 has sublime 2 player co-op. Easiest way to do this is to use two PCs and the interweb thingy but it is possible to get two player split screen co-op on a single PC. A bit of hacking is required and at least one XBOX 360 controller is needed but it is worth the effort.

• patstew says:

It has been patched in properly now, no hackery required.

• Tau Psi says:

The coop is the main reason for Portal 2 being as good as Portal 1, but in a different way. Valve <3

5. Zenicetus says:

Just noticed Steam USA is showing Far Cry 3 at 40% off ($29.99), today only. I still don’t know if that’s low enough to tempt me, but it’s the first price reduction I’ve seen. Seems a bit early, no?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I angered the God of the Comment Box and it ate my comment. I think I might’ve used too many apostrophes. I’m just going to start sacrificing animals until it is appeased.

• tobecooper says:

Why appease it? It’s clearly a trollish monster.
      Anger it more, I say! Punch a microwave! Spit at your PC tower. Harass other robots. Let it know, we are not to be trifled with, sir!

• The Random One says:

I agree! Have at thee, beast!
        ”””””””””””””””””””””””””’
        ””””””””””””””””””’
        ”””””””””””””””””””””””’
        ”””””””””””””””
        ””””””””””””””””””””””””””’
        HOW DO YOU LIKE THESE APOSTROPHES NOW?

• Shadowcat says:

> [A Game That Came Out This Year Edition]

Ha! I like it :) It’s also far less distressing to read than [Goatse Edition]

7. Woodwork says:

At indiebundle.org , there is an interesting collection of Dungeon Crawlers/Rogue-likes:
    The Hellish Dungeons Bundle:
    99 Levels to Hell by Zaxis Games And B-evil, Guy vs. WNL by Cog Monkeys, & Rogue’s Tale, by EPIXX.ORG for $5.
    Or for $7, add Claustrophobia by TheIndieForge & Dark Gates, by DFour Games.

99 Levels is $9.99 by itself on GOG so quite good value overall.

DrScuttles says:

Good grief that’s 9 gig of classic role playing click-n-ponder-a-thons for under a fiver. I only ever played a little of Baldur’s Gate on a friend’s computer and with the recent Kickstarters for Project Eternity, Torment and to a lesser extent Wasteland 2, this seems to be a great opportunity to catch up on some history. There appears to be some good guides on GOG to mod Baldur’s Gate a bit closer to the standards of space year 2013, but I must admit that the whole process seems slightly impenetrable

• Noburu says:

Seeing as the site is slow-to-load/not loading for me at the minute, do any of these register to Steam by chance?

• cptgone says:

as the GG page doesn’t mention Steam, and says it’s DRM free, i guess not.

DrScuttles says:

Yeah. it’s DRM free and downloads through a Gamersgate installer. No Steam keys. Maybe takes about 18 gig; one of the things I really like about Steams draconian DRM is that it doesn’t make me download the installation files first and then install them as my very very poor management of hard drive space means I often have little space and nothing I want to sacrfice).

• Noburu says:

Okay thanks guys. The page still isnt loading for me so I couldnt find out myself and I have never used GG before.

The thing I like about Steam, and the reason I use it mostly for my games is the not needing to store tons of file and/or game discs. I install and uninstall a lot of games and Steam really makes it easy and convenient.

• iridescence says:

You can use GamersGate the same way usually. I have tons of stuff sitting on there that I’ve bought but haven’t downloaded yet. I guess this package forces you to DL all the games at once if you want to play any of them but that is a pretty unique thing for them.

• Triplanetary says:

, but I must admit that the whole process seems slightly impenetrable

Nah, just download the files and install them in the specified order. Take it step by step and I think you’ll find it straightforward enough. You don’t really have to worry about mods like the one that ties BG1 and 2 together into one big-ass game. It’s a nice perk but by no means essential.

All told, I highly recommend this route over buying the bullshit “Enhanced Edition.”

• Choca says:

I actually would recommand this particular mod (BG Trilogy). It’s easy to install, pretty much free of major bugs and makes BG 1 that much more enjoyable with BG 2’s engine, classes, kits, mechanics and spells.

I actually just started a rerun of the full saga yesterday using this mod (and a couple others, widescreen mod is also easy and cool) and really think it helps making BG 1 seem a little less old.

• Jason Moyer says:

Using BG1 with BG2’s engine is nice if only for the ability to highlight interactive items.

emertonom says:

It has admittedly been a few years, but the mod I used for that purpose was BGTutu, which ran bg1 in the bg2 engine, but didn’t merge them into a single game in any particular way. The installer was a bit confusing, because it gave you hundreds of poorly explained choices, but it really worked fine, and was rather an improvement over the basic game. I assume that’s what Choca was referring to as the alternative to the Trilogy mod.

• Jason Moyer says:

I used EasyTutu to run BG1 in the BG2 engine, and it was pretty painless/simple to setup. You just install Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2, install EasyTutu, then install the Widescreen Mod to the EasyTutu folder and you’re pretty good to go. The Baldurdash bug fixes are also probably worth installing as well (I like his Morrowind and Oblivion patches, haven’t tried the BG ones).

• bill says:

It’s a great deal that i’ve almost bought many times. But it’s not the price that’s the issue, it’s the time investment. It’s basically adding 500 hours to my ‘not played yet’ pile of games.

Given how little time I get for gaming, that’s likely to take me until 2020 to finish, assuming no other games are played, bought or released in the meantime.

I think I’ll skip it again. I already have BG1 and I am hopeful i might finish it within the next 12 months.

9. malkav11 says:

Dead Island may be a stupid zombie game (and really, it is quite dumb), but it’s also a fantastic one. Meaty, visceral melee combat, genuinely threatening zombies, up to four player drop-in-drop-out coop, and plenty of loot gathering and crafting delights, plus a pretty well realized resort island semi-open world to explore. Don’t expect immersion – the writing’s terrible and some of the mechanics are, as demonstrated above, kind of illogical – but it’s a great deal of fun. I’m eagerly looking forward to Riptide.

• Captain Joyless says:

“meaty” in the way that a vat of week-old gravy is meaty.

Dead Island was terrible, buggy, and a crappy grind through repetitive zombies with shoddy scaling mechanics. It is not a good game. If you like it you are a bad person.

• grundus says:

On the one hand, it’s Borderlands with zombies and melee weapons rather than guns, but on the OTHER hand… It’s Borderlands with zombies and melee weapons rather than guns. I loved Borderlands and quite enjoyed what I played of Dead Island but I haven’t really had the urge to go back, I’m dead tired of all these zombie games.

• Dr. Shenanigans says:

Maybe Riptide will reanimate you to this particular genre.

• malkav11 says:

It’s a little buggy, sure. Mostly not in ways that were gamebreaking, in my experience (though it did hurt my enjoyment of the throwing character), and sometimes in ways that are hilarious. But if you don’t enjoy cleaving limbs off zombies with an electrified meat cleaver, I think you may be dead inside. And it does that very well indeed.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I played the holy hell out of Dead Island, yet I still consider it one of the most technically incompetent games ever made. Just full of half-assed coding and sloppy design. I’m pretty sure Riptide is going to be more of the same, but it will assuredly sell like hotcakes because consumers love buying the same shit over and over again.

Dead Island is the first (and only) game I ever owned in which I spammed co-op matches just to actively grief-kill other players. I suppose I was venting my frustration with the game out on the rest of the poor suckers who bought it. I formally apologize here and now to anyone who was caught in my malicious hail of incendiary grenades.

Malibu Stacey says:

I was very tempted to buy it at this price but after reading the Walker’s semi-review of it as linked above, it convinced me otherwise.
      I then recalled the whole “Zombie Bait Edition” thing with Riptide which doubly convinced me not to.

Earl-Grey says:

I would just like to say that I’ve come to love the bargain bucket more and more over the years.
    At first I was quite indifferent, didn’t really give it much thought or attention.
    But these days I look forward to browsing what’s on sale in the weekend and snatching up the occasional gaming treat on the cheap.
    Stellar work, Lewie, much appreciated.

• cptgone says:

wait till you reach the point where you already own most bargains, cause you read the Bargain Bucket. soon, you’ll end up hating weekends. let’s see how much you’ll like Lewie then!
      ;)

• Lewie Procter says:

Thanks. It’s nice to know the work I put in is appreciated.

• Tiax says:

It sure is, thank you for time !

• Jason Moyer says:

Thanks for these roundups and also for your site. If I type “s” into my address bar in Chrome it autocompletes straight to savygamer.co.uk/category/deals/pc/dd/

11. Triplanetary says:

A little tempted by Valley Without Wind 1/2 for less than four bucks. Do people enjoy these?

• dE says:

It’s mixed. Some People will tell you it’s great. Other people will tell you it’s utter garbage. This one, you need to check out for yourself as it is really quite a bit too niche to talk about in general. The base games without a cd key, will work as a limited Trial Version.

AVWW1:

AVWW2:

• KDR_11k says:

With the extra funny bit that some people only like 1 and some only like 2.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

People who love AVWW 1 often hate AVWW 2 and say that 2 is “dumbed-down”, “overly-twitchy”, and “linear” when compared to 1. They think that AVWW 1 is better because they think that it is a more “open ended” and “complex” game than AVWW 2.

People who love AVWW 2 often hate AVWW 1 and say that 1 is “confusing”, “directionless”, and “grindy” when compared to 2. They think that AVWW 2 is better because they think it is a more “focused” and “coherent” game than AVWW 1.

Interpret that as you will.

12. Shadowcat says:

> [A Game That Came Out This Year Edition]

Ha! I like it :) It’s also far less distressing to read than [Goatse Edition]

• Dr. Shenanigans says:

I always read it as Gotye Edition.

• bill says:

It truly shows that games have entered the mainstream when a top selling pop star is named after a gaming acronym.

Malibu Stacey says:

It didn’t even come out this year. It’s been out since September 2011.

Also the commonly used pun round these parts is Goatee edition. As in the facial hair. If you misread that as something else, I suggest you seek professional help.

13. James W says:

Which game is pictured at the top, there..?

• KDR_11k says:

Gabriel Knight. 3 I think? The one that was blamed for killing the adventure genre with ts infamously terrible moustache puzzle.

• Harrington says:

It is indeed GK3. In fact, that screenshot is the direct result of having successfully solved that godawful, stupid, inane puzzle. The moustache on Mr. Red Hat? Cat fur and maple syrup.

14. SamfisherAnD says: