A Sorry Blight: Riptide’s Torso Returns

By Adam Smith on April 22nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm.

A purely hypothetical scenario. I announce that I’m writing a new feature on RPS and, if you so desire, you can buy a physical edition of the post. Naturally, it will be printed on a bloodied replica of a woman’s trunk, limbs lopped away, but bikini and breasts thankfully intact. I say ‘naturally’ because the story is about a game with zombies in it and I say ‘thankfully’ because the chest is more important than the zombies. Discerning readers can pop the disfigurement on their mantle. If the notion disappoints or offends people I’ll apologise, but I won’t change my ways because I certainly don’t want all of these torsos sitting in my basement. People might get the wrong idea! So, please buy my bloodied figurines and their contents. NINETY POUNDS IS ALL I ASK!

This was the line that Deep Silver attached their zombie bait to in January: “For now, we want to reiterate to the community, fans and industry how deeply sorry we are, and that we are committed to making sure this will never happen again.”

I guess what they meant was something along the lines of: “It’ll never happen again but it will still happen three months from now because that’s not really again as such because it hasn’t actually happened yet.” There’s a lesson here. If you plan to do something that may offend and alienate people, why not let them know in advance? That way you can use their reaction to bring more attention to yourself before the act, apologise and then change absolutely nothing. This is how a toddler might behave while bawling about the state of porridge or pajamas, except the little tyke wouldn’t waste any time on an apparently empty apology. What I’m saying is that an infant throwing a tantrum is, in comparison, a model of efficiency.

As far as I can see (and I’m not inclined to look very far) the Zombie Bait edition is always packaged with the 360 version of the game, so perhaps it isn’t strictly relevant to my interests. But we did say we’d keep you posted and I’m always interested when people find new definitions for words like ‘sorry’, ‘committed’, ‘never’ and ‘again’.

Thanks to Bargain Master Lewie P for spotting this.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Nick says:

They probably already had a shitload of them made and paid for, so what should they do, piss that money away?

• simoroth says:

Bury them in the desert to confound and terrify future archeologists.

• MacTheGeek says:

They were going to do exactly that, but five million copies of the Atari 2600 version of E.T. filed a restraining order to keep the zombie filth out of their yard.

• Bhazor says:

Yes. It might actually teach them a lesson to directly lose money on outrageously dumb decisions.

• Drake Sigar says:

Could sell them to Deadliest Warrior? They’re always in need of fresh torsos.

• RedViv says:

Resin torsos are certainly up on their level of accuracy, sure.

• Dowr says:

I’ll buy ‘em as my friends would love these!

• CitizenDickbag says:

YES. That is exactly what they should do!

2. Turin Turambar says:

Technically , “again” means they won’t do it again (next time), not that they wouldn’t do it this time.

3. LTK says:

Um, where exactly did Lewie spot this? Is it up for sale again somewhere?

• Adam Smith says:

Game and Amazon both have it available. Possibly more.

• LTK says:

You’re right, there they are, but they’re only available in the UK it seems. Did they think it was only Americans who complained about it?

• Stellar Duck says:

Wasn’t it always just a UK thing?

Anyhow, wasn’t gonna buy it before. Still not gonna.

• Screwie says:

As far as I recall, it was only ever planned as a UK (or at least, EU) promotion – the Americans have been promised a little ‘hula girl’ doll in their special editions instead.

• LTK says:

That explains it. I was wondering why I could only find the zombie hula girl edition. The official website doesn’t list the zombie bait edition at all, so I guess that means someone cocked up somewhere down the line.

• andytt66 says:

Pretty certain Amazon have never stopped having it on pre-order.

Am half-tempted to pick one up if the terrible reviews of the game drive the price down to “duke nukem balls-of-steel edition” levels… I am irrationally amused that they went to the trouble of having region-specific flags on the bikini…

• F3ck says:

…the strangest part about the flags (at least to me) is this: who openly wears the flag of their own country?

Even here where everything is so star-spangled fuckin’ awesome you are generally looked upon as a rather magnificent (if painfully less than self-aware) douche…wearing a (US) flag to anything other than a military funeral is asking for ridicule.

So who’d want one of these (arguments of taste aside for a moment) with their own flag on it? Nobody, I’d think…

…except really shitty countries. It seems if you’re from a relatively awful place it is okay to sport your own flag. You know…Brazil and such…

• TomA says:

I see what you mean, do you have a blog or something where I can access an ignorant comprehensive list of all the countries you consider to be ‘extremely shitty’? because it sounds just fascinating.

They’re trying to bundle as many torsos out as they possibly can to make money back on a stupid decision, you’ll see them popping up all over the place soon enough, your doctors desk, retirement homes, prizes in boxes of cornflakes etc.

• Ovno says:

That’s quite amusing I have to agree with you that the wearing of flags is rather tasteless, however I’ve always considered that the strange obsession with flags and wearing flags to be very american (from a brit point of view) though I suppose that’s telly and tourists for you…

• myelbow says:

Explain the Union Jack topped Mini of yesteryear. I don’t remember one American car that’s ever been painted in a star spangled motif so I don’t think we’re alone here. I think a ton of us humans tend to believe that our own people wouldn’t do that *gasp*…whatever that may be relative to the conversation.

4. stump sock says:

Well, that promise was a bust.

5. Kamikaze_Tutor says:

Great news, my Alma statue was feeling pretty lonely.

• Stellar Duck says:

Having only played the first FEAR game, I gotta ask: what the hell has been happening in those games since I left?!

• Nick says:

Since you ask.. Alma rapes your character in the second game and is preganant in the third.

• Stellar Duck says:

I kinda regret asking now.

• Dowr says:

We regret knowing the answer to your question.

• RedViv says:

The question that has been asked and has been answered is a question that Viiiv regret being reminded of Viiiv having had knowledge of before.

• SirKicksalot says:

It looks like they took a model of that Alien 4 hybrid, melted a bit of plastic away and added some hair.

6. Humanji says:

With all the free advertising Deep Silver are getting over this, they must have saved a fortune.

7. Hungry Like the Wholphin says:

Come on now. If Deep Silver didn’t put it out again, what would you have to be outraged about?

Sexism in Super Mario Bros? The sexualizing of Lara Croft’s grunts?

This is so much better and should be good for three more essays, a kickstarter and a protest rally.

• Nest says:

I thought we *had* all agreed to be outraged about sexism in super mario brothers?

8. Hungry Like the Wholphin says:

Can we get the Transgender Incest Survivor take on this very pressing matter as soon as possible?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

The only funny thing about this is that you think you’re funny.

• YogSo says:

Are you also this bothersome in real life, or you just save it for the times when Internet anonymity grants you total impunity?

• killias2 says:

I’m going to blame the anonymity. Wholphin seems like a typical troll to me.

• Ny24 says:

Why do you hate everything so much? When you don’t care about that, I wonder why you even play it. Or do you just need something to complain about so that you feel better?

• iucounu says:

Really trying hard to work out what the satirical point you’re making is. It seems to be that the views of people who are transgender or the survivors of incest are worthless and/or over-represented, and that we should mock and exclude them. But it couldn’t be that, right? One wouldn’t seriously go on to a website and make disparaging jokes at the expense of people who were raped as children by their parents?

• Nest says:

It’s not that hard to understand. Transgendered incest survivors are an obscure and highly specific segment of the population, and Wolphin is mocking the notion that discussion of any topic could not possibly be complete until their unique voices have been heard. Also mocking the notion that a transgendered incest survivor would of course want to sound off on every topic and represent themselves as a voice of the Transgendered Incest Survivor Community first and foremost, rather than just as themselves. Also probably trying to irritate you.

• Tagiri says:

Wholphin is making fun of an actual transgendered incest survivor who authored an autobiographical game featured in this week’s Live Free, Play Hard. Stay classy.

• pipman3000 says:

can we get the boring unfunny dude who thinks he’s hilarious take on this oh wait there it is

• SkittleDiddler says:

Aaaaaaaaaaand now, direct from Kotaku’s forum pages, we have Hungry Like the Wholphin‘s take on the controversy!!!

9. Beefeater1980 says:

I like the tags although Ambrose Bierce had the right of it in 1911: “Apologize (v.i.). To lay the foundation for a future offense.”

What I want to know is, what would anyone *do* with one of the things? Paperweight? Novelty garden gnome? It’s hardly going on the mantelpiece of anyone who isn’t a serial killer, and anyone who is a serial killer probably has his or her own supply. I can’t really see a use for it outside of the threatening/hate mail sector.

• derbefrier says:

heh its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

also it will go on some 15 year olds shelf or in his closet. rocket science this aint man. people like this kind of stuff. who are we to judge?

• Bhazor says:

There’s obviously a market for white supremacist merchandise. Who are we to judge?

• Ultra Superior says:

I have my Angela Merkel statue proudly displayed in my office – it’s almost a torso too, with just right hand sticking out, heiling the ‘ein welt – ein volk’ policies of EU.

• Cryo says:

They are going to fondle it while masturbating. I hope this answers your question.

• Nest says:

I know plenty of people who have like a million collectible plastic toys on multiple shelves next to their game consoles. I’m sure these torsos will find happy homes in between the Power Loader from Aliens and 9 SPAWN action figures.

10. slerbal says:

That is pathetic. I’ve met a few folks from Deep Silver in my former life in the games industry and I am very disappointed with them.

I think that just added Deep Silver to my list of games companies I won’t be buying games from.

So no Saints Row 4 for me…

11. Utsunomiya says:

Selling things to people is outrageous!
    Truly, truly outrageous.

12. Tasloi says:

They shouldn’t have boxed themselves in like this in the first place. If you’re gonna release a prop like this then stand behind it aswell. Plenty of ordinary people with no stake in their company did so. If you don’t have the fortitude for that then I guess you can always take some lessons from EA’s PR people. Apparently silence seems to work well for them. Or better yet, don’t bother with this type of thing to begin with.

13. Thurgret says:

Ah, what the hell?

Much as I loved Metro 2033, I’m suddenly on the fence regarding Last Light.

• slerbal says:

Agreed. But honestly, I was moving fenceward for a while…

14. antimisopseudomisogyny says:

I love how every article regarding this is consistently more outraged at the body being female than it being dismembered. I can tell you this much: throughout my life I have masturbated to many things but a dismembered corpse or a depiction of such is among ones to which I probably never will.

• derbefrier says:

dont knock it till you try it.

ok i am done i’ll go away now. I just cant take this seriously.

• antimisopseudomisogyny says:

“ok i am done i’ll go away now. I just cant take this seriously.”
        My thoughts on the article, exactly ;D.

• iucounu says:

No, you’ve got that wrong, I think. I don’t think I’ve read a single article where it hasn’t been discussed as being both those things. In fact if you go and read Adam’s post again you’ll see him refer to it thus:

“a bloodied replica of a woman’s trunk, limbs lopped away, but bikini and breasts thankfully intact.”

a “disfigurement”

“bloodied figurines”

So basically I can’t see where there’s more outrage about one than the other.

• antimisopseudomisogyny says:

Well – he does mention that the chest is “more important than the zombies”.
        Furthermore – the original article calls the bloody stump a “(…) text book example of the most extreme ends of misogynist fantasy (…)”. I’m not making this stuff up, you can look this quote up. It’s like they can’t comprehend that a game about bloodied corpses can come with a collectible bloody corpse. The suggestion is that this is either targeted at necrophiliacs or chainsaw-wielding psychos.

• jorygriffis says:

You’re not giving the outraged much credit by making this an issue of their “comprehension” of the product’s intent. Don’t get me wrong, a male torso would be insanely creepy too, but think about why the people at Deep Silver would specifically choose this design as the one that was most desirable. It is a murdered woman’s disfigured corpse that is intended to be sexy. That doesn’t seem like a problem?

• Archonsod says:

Call me weird, but I think it’s much more likely they opted for a female figure because it’s incredibly bloody hard to tie “beach based” to a male torso, given that men’s bathing costumes have tended to lack any kind of torso component for the past two centuries or so. Which is the main reason a lot of companies tend to go for female figures when trying to evoke a beach or pool setting.

How precisely were they going to do this without opting for a woman? A dismembered crotch in speedo’s? Wouldn’t that be even worse?

• Bhazor says:

@Archonsod
            …. you think thats why they use women in bikini’s? Seriously?

• Eddy9000 says:

Oh bless you archansod, you have so much to learn about the world.

• Josh W says:

As was mentioned at the time, a dismembered crotch in a speedo probably would be a lot better; imagine putting that on your mantlepiece.

• El_Emmental says:

“but think about why the people at Deep Silver would specifically choose this design as the one that was most desirable. It is a murdered woman’s disfigured corpse that is intended to be sexy. That doesn’t seem like a problem?”

Congratulation, you pointed out exactly what this torso is about: shocking, by putting together 2 things not related to each other at all. Californian bikini and dismemberment

What is Dead Island ?
            A heavily touristic island resort, full of western tourists living a “dream” holidays – suddenly turned into a gory zombie apocalypse, exploiting the gap between the two worlds to create a cheesy (funny, if possible) light criticism of the former one (the island “dream”).

A very common trope found in all form of entertainment/art: you take the “perfect” world, put it in a different situation, to point out its weakness, flaws and what it *really* is.

What is that ugly plastic torso ?
            The flagship of that “dream” island holidays, which is “girls with silicone-filled boobs in a skimpy bikini of terrible taste”, gorily dismembered to the point of being a little bit “too much” (even for a zombie apocalypse) – exactly what Dead Island is about.
            * It’s a real shame they haven’t pierced one boob, revealing a silicon bag (with “YOLO” or something like that written on it) inside, with one of these silly “beach” tattoos – or a cockroach coming out of it.

The fact they haven’t made a male version, with a six-pack, “spiritual”/plastic shark teeth chain/necklace and terrible speedo/shorts, and a kinda-sexist/utterly stupid tattoo (with a part removed by a wound, making the quote even more stupid – the potential is infinite), is indeed very disappointing.

Just going with a simple (= without any sign of sarcasm, humour) bikini torso is cheap and can be perceived as sexist (with very good reasons).

Deep Silver should have took that terrible mistake as an opportunity to make a male one and improve the existing design (even if it costs money), sadly they’re just trying to get rid of these monstrosities gathering dust in storage depots.

• CitizenDickbag says:

Thanks for the information about your masturbation habits, though, that really brought the discussion to a new level.

• Garad says:

Well, imagine the reaction of most men if they were to walk into their girlfriend’s house and there was a statue of a dismembered male body wearing an extremely tight speedo sitting on the mantle. Oh, and this statue consisted of only the waist and thighs. I don’t know about anyone else, but I would be slightly freaked out :)

My question is, what would need to be done to the current statue to make it acceptable? Add a head and arms so its more like a bust? Get rid of the bikini top? Include the entire body?

• Shuck says:

“My question is, what would need to be done to the current statue to make it acceptable?”
        I think we covered this – bury it in a hole where no one would ever, ever see it.

15. cptgone says:

does anyone here remember ?

• cptgone says:

…Cynthia Plaster Caster?
      (reply box gods ate the title of the URL i posted above, and ran off with the Edit button)

• SkittleDiddler says:

Nobody remembers her name, but her artwork remains immortal…

16. Artist says:

Cant understand the hamster riot against the torso. It looks fantastic AND definatly fits the setting.
    Completly misplaced prudery, dear sirs?!

17. Dances to Podcasts says:

“Sure, when the Chapman brothers do it, it’s art, but when we do it, noooooo.”

18. NathanH says:

Clearly this is a commentary or satire of the AAA industry. That makes everything fine.

19. gibb3h says:

I get that this is rather gaudy and in bad taste, but I can’t seem to understand the massive (in my mind) over reaction, yes its tacky and stupid, but I don’t think its quite worthy of torches and pitchforks

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Well sure, but unless a mob has formed somewhere without my knowledge we’re still at the level of “Angry on the internet” and “Notably less likely to trust/buy products from this company”.

• Vinraith says:

I tend to agree. It’s tacky, stupid merchandising for what is, after all, a tremendously tacky and stupid game (and I say that as someone that enjoyed the first one).

• RedViv says:

The question is: Do you want marketing people ACTIVELY approaching your group as the one that has a demand for sculpts of dismembered but still ridiculously stereotypically sexy female torsos?

• cptgone says:

what “group” are you talking about? the fans of horror slasher movies, who this product and it’s marketing is aimed at?

• Vorphalack says:

I know a lot of my friends are into cheesy, gorefest ”horror”, hell i’ve indulged some trash with them on film nights, but I can’t imagine any of them wanting something like the torso in their homes. It’s just supremely tacky and serves no purpose as a free standing object.

• Thurgret says:

The statuette was/is tacky and in very poor taste.

I’m more disgruntled with their issuing of an apology followed by going right ahead with distributing the thing anyway. While I had no interest in Dead Island to begin with, it’s enough to give me second thoughts about Metro: Last Light.

20. nrvsNRG says:

cant wait for this!
    dead island was one of my favourite games the last few years.

• Eddy9000 says:

Then you’ll be pleased to know it got exactly the same score on Eurogamer as the first one.

• nrvsNRG says:

I’m not gonna rely on reviews for DI:R. I think they’ll be some bias being thrown around.
        The reviews for the first game were unfair and it was enormous fun; may have been a sorta guilty pleasure, but fun.
        But if eurogamers review is accurate then a less buggy DI sounds great to me.

21. NotToBeLiked says:

Just an idea:
    Perhaps a commercial company will keep doing dumb immature shit like this because every time they do something stupid like this, attention gets drawn to the game by articles complaining about it.

So perhaps the solution might be to just ignore this company and their game entirely until they grow up…

• Michael Fogg says:

Blogs are not the best platform to ignore things, you know…

22. evenflowjimbo says:

I wonder if RPS would’ve cared if it was a man’s torso? I mean, if any horror fans are on here, wouldn’t they love having props from certain movies that might just be torsos or so?

• cptgone says:

they’d prolly reply that the woman’s torso is sexualised cause it has “bikini and breasts thankfully intact”.
      which makes me wonder how they feel about Cynthia Plaster Caster’s replicas of famous people’s penises.

• Tagiri says:

Are the penises designed to look maximally attractive while also looking like they have been torn off of a victim? Many people’s issue with the Dead Island bust is the creepy conflation of sexuality and violence.

• cptgone says:

if there really are people who find that bust “attractive” or “sexualised”, they don’t need it to be sick in the head.

• SkittleDiddler says:

If the sculpture had been based on a male torso, RPS wouldn’t have bothered pitching a fit.

• Eddy9000 says:

I’m sure they would if we lived in a misandrist matriarchy where men were frequently objectified as sex objects or carers for women and weren’t valued further than their ability to fulfil this function, a society where women dominated in positions of wealth, status and power over men, a society where men hadn’t been able to vote until recently and the majority of sexualised attacks on them by women were not prosecuted, a society where the creators and consumers of games were over 90% female and creating computer games where the player character was overwhelmingly of female gender and most male characters were shallow, passive and functioning only to be sexually desirable to women.

Yes, I’m sure under these circumstances RPS probably would be outraged over a dismembered male torso with the bulging crotch and washboard abs designed to female norms of sexual desirability left untouched and prominent amongst the gore and violence. However we don’t live in this society and as much as you’d like to pretend that men are hard done by it is very difficult to argue against gender inequalities favouring men to the deficit of women.
        Yes there are difficulties caused for men by notions of power and dominance inherent in masculine discourse, particularly if they are unable to attain these, however having difficulties because you have membership to a socially dominant group is a much better position to be in than having difficulties because your group is marginalised, subjugated and used.
        If I was given a choice between my difficulties being due to empowerment and my difficulties being due to disempowerment then I know full well which I would be better off with.

• El_Emmental says:

Are you saying we should compensate the sexism in our societies, by basing our judgement of the sexism issue with an unequal approach, based on sex (female/male) ?

Because most women suffer from discrimination because of their gender, done by some men and women, we should discriminate all men to make it even ?

Positive discrimination can very easily be hijacked and exploited by unscrupulous people (it happened before, it’s happenning, and will happen, until all life forms disappear), only works for short term gains, is a disaster when it’s not clearly identified and accompanied with a clear explanation of the long term goal of equality.

According to your reasoning, female bodies should be more protected than male bodies, because of sexism, violence, inequalities, directed at women.
          - What about transgender people ?
          - What about a male body with dark skin vs a female body with light skin ?
          - What about a starving male body, or overweight male body, vs a ‘healthly’ female body ?
          - What about an old male body, vs a young female body ?

Now mix all these things, and see if you can still single out “female” as the ultimate criteria, ruling in or out discrimination.

If you base your judgement on an inequality, you’ll always end up unfairly discriminating a group of people, becoming the racist, sexist, ageist, sizeist you were trying to fight.

If you make a hispanic dismembered torso, you’re hurting the families/friends of all the victims of the drug cartels in South America. If you make a ‘black’ dismembered torso, you’re hurting all the victims (and their families, friends, descendants) of slavery during the colonial period. “Even” if these torsos are male.

You should criticize the lack of a male torso (making you wonder why) and the use of the hypersexualized cliche of the bikini girl, but not jump to the conclusion that a male torso wouldn’t be shocking (or less shocking).

By doing that jump, you’re turning the issue of sexism into a fight between genders and not a fight between equality and inequality. The gender war is unproductive (it has been fruitless for years now), it is the main reason why feminism is currently struggling to reinvent itself and actually matters in today’s politics.

• Eddy9000 says:

A sexualised, dimembered male torso has not happened for a reason and if it did it would not be as offensive because it does not propogate harmful discourses and prejudices. It is also not as harmful to call a white person a ‘honky’ in a white dominated society as it is to call a black person a ‘nigger’ – do you see why? One propogates a harmful attitude that has subjugated a race of people for hundreds of years, one (whilst still an insult) does not. You are not arguing for equality, you are arguing for people with privilege to be treated the same as people who are marginalised, essentially arguing for the maintainance of this inequality. This is why we have parking spaces reserved for disabled people and not able-bodied people, it’s not about treating people the same because different groups of people have different needs, it’s about treating people differently so they have equal access to privilige. This is not ‘positive discrimination’, it is simply challenging harmful attitudes towards one group of people that do not exist for another group.

• SkittleDiddler says:

You missed my point, simply because I did not elaborate on exposition. It’s not your fault.

The sculpture is based on a game where the primary activity consists of violently dismembering, gutting, and decapitating human beings. Laser-focused rage over a provocative portrait — one that just happens to be of a female figure — seems a bit hypocritical to me when the overall context is taken into consideration.

• Eddy9000 says:

“one that just happens to be of a female figure”

It doesn’t ‘just happen’ to be a female figure, and it certainly didn’t ‘just happen’ that it was designed to proportions commonly found sexually attractive by men. If the game is about killing zombies then why not a dismembered zombie torso? Why not a fat man’s torso? Why not an elderly torso? Things never ‘just happen’ mate, they are always products of discourse; you should check out Zizek’s (tongue in cheek) deconstruction of European toilets for a humourous example.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Again, you’re missing my point, this time intentionally.

Where’s the RPS debate about Dead Island’s gratuitous violence? Why is it all about Boobs and Bikinis? Where’s the journalistic balance?

• cptgone says:

“Why not a fat man’s torso? Why not an elderly torso?”
            because we care more for women, because we care more for good looking people, because the ironic shock value is raised by the juxtaposition of beauty, frailty and attractiveness with death, because screaming attractive girls are the staple of the genre, etc.

these things are engrained in us on a biological level.

• Nogo says:

You and I both know that would never ever happen, so what kind of point are you trying to make by asking “if everything was different would things be different?”

But hey, prove me wrong Deep Silver: market to that lucrative demographic of women who like videogames, Eli Roth and objectification by making a bloodied man-crotch in a speedo.

23. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

I don’t know if I’m in the minority, but I’m still ultimately left with the feeling of: “It’s a weird item. I guess some might like it, up to them I guess”.

I just can’t get that outraged over it. It’s a thing that people will either buy or not buy. If they all get snapped up pronto by people who want it, then so be it.

It’s questionable (as has been discussed endlessly), but I’ve always had an open mind about people making things that other people might want (within the law), however distant it is from my own tastes.

• gibb3h says:

agreed.

• Eddy9000 says:

Sounds to me that rather than having an open mind you actually have a very firm belief that this kind of think is morally justifiable, should continue to happen and that people are wrong if they say otherwise. I don’t mean it personally, I just think that appeals to a balanced viewpoint often belie a rather solid opinion. Sitting on the fence is as much a position as being in either of the fields on each side of it.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Yeah, I just chuckle at that kind of righteous response tbh.

Full of random assumptions and guesses about me – to try and fit an agenda. You’re overthinking things too much.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yup, the whole thing was completely overthought and blown out of proportion. The amount of articles and comments trying to portray the company and everybody in it as a group of vile misogynists determined to marginalise women blah blah blah.
        NO, take it for what it is, a really stupid piece of marketing that SHOULD have fallen flat on its face, instead it probably became the most well know collectors edition of the year, people will buy this now BECAUSE it is the dismembered torso that caused so much uproar. The plastic figure didn’t do that, people like you did because you try and force your agenda on everyone and everything you can take a swing at.

24. Greggh says:

“What I’m saying is that an infant throwing a tantrum is, in comparison, a model of efficiency.”

GENIUS PHRASE HERE!

25. WhatKateDoes says:

Divisive subject is divisive… into the 70% who get it, 20% who dont, 5% trolls, 4% spam… and mercifully only 1% utter twattery scary people….

26. fredc says:

Ordered, thanks!

27. HisDivineOrder says:

It’s like you’ve never seen a near replica of a woman’s limbless corpse before. Gawd.

I don’t get what the hubbub is about. It’s a fake. Would it be better if it was a man’s limbless body? Perhaps they should offer both options? I mean, I take it that women’s bodies can be smaller without it seeming like a cop-out. Video games will stereotypically have women as tiny with perfect breasts while men are massive v-shaped monstrosities who seem as neanderthal as possible. Think about how much more money all that plastic would cost…

28. harbinger says:

I think the “apology” was more along the lines of getting the oversensitive people to shut the hell up.
    Then they probably sold a metric ton of the things through the increased promotional value this fabricated “controversy” of yours caused, and they realised it wasn’t such a bad idea after all through the power of commerce.
    At this point RPS sounds a lot more like the bawling toddler throwing a tantrum that it didn’t get its way/what it wanted.

29. OdinsAuge says:

I can’t understand why so many people (Deep Silver called them community) are upset by this torso. Everyone of them shuold have played Dead Island. So what do people do when they play the game, they kill zombies and thats not like hit them somehow and they fall down or dissapear like 10 years ago, no, the zombies get slaughtered and blood and bodyparts are flying around. So a torso like this, you could see around every corner.
    I think there is no reason to be upset and no reason why Deep Silver had to apology.

[EDIT] As I saw this edition is still avaiable I ordered it emediatelly and it arrived today.