A Trailer For The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot For You

By John Walker on April 22nd, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

We had Craig wipe his grubby hands all over The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot last week, and he came away feeling rather positive. So that’s good. But what does it look like when all the screenshots come rapidly, one after the other, in some sort of “moving picture”. We have the technology.

Apparently the game itself is quite funny. This trailer doesn’t seem to hit that mark, but it does give a very good idea (eventually) of how the game will work. Seemingly The Castle Doctrine writ large.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. BobbyDylan says:

The epic quest for the epic loot in your wallet.

I’m not too interested in Freemium games.

• trjp says:

Thanks for sharing – it’s going to be a long day, what with you telling the whole internet what you’re not interested in and all??

I find, oddly, that some F2P games are OK in the way that some non-F2P games are OK – just like the fact that not every zombie or pirate game is shit (tho it’s easily to come to that conclusion).

Also Golf – it’s mostly played by idiots but not ENTIRELY – that’s the thing y’see, not everything is so easily labelled.

• BobbyDylan says:

You find it odd, do you? I find it odd that you lambaste me for stating a preferance, then do the same. Your preferance must be more valid than mine, so please forgive me.

• Dominic White says:

I swear, 90% of the comments on any F2P game here are ‘Won’t ever play, too expensive’.

HOW DO YOU KNOW!? Are you psychic or something? Or are you just making sweeping generalizations in an attempt to look like a too-cool-for-school internet hipster? Because it’s just getting tedious.

Seriously, it’s a free game. Try it and judge its worth based on actual experience, rather than weird gut feelings. If the business model is awful and practically requires feeding money in to enjoy (no, just offering things for sale is not automatically terrible – actually *test* things and see how it works), then sure, complain about that. Just after you’ve seen it, not before.

• Moraven says:

But a lot of F2P games are made to where someone could easily pay more than $30-$60 they would pay for the full game. I have not seen one F2P game where the most you can spend is $30 to unlock everything.

• Durrok says:

Uhm… ever played League of Legends?

• Zelos says:

Have you? Unlocking every champion with real money would cost hundreds of dollars. Getting to level 30 will only get you enough IP to barely afford one or two sets of runes, and that’s only if you don’t buy more than a couple champions. So you can either have a fraction of the champion pool and no runes, or no champions and a fraction of the runes.

I’m not certain exactly how long it takes, but it takes over a hundred hours of playing to hit level 30. That’s over a hundred hours of a glorified tutorial playing against people with downs syndrome. Over a hundred hours to unlock practically nothing.

League can be played for free, but every person I know who has tried to play without spending money has quit the game because the time commitment is fucking massive. They simply can’t ever get enough champions to be competitive.

Faldrath says:

Or Path of Exile?

• misterT0AST says:

Yeah! They charge you 5 bucks today, 5 bucks tomorrow, and after 10 purchases you almost spent as much as a retail game! What a ripoff!
      And they’re all pay-to-win! Look at Quake Live, Smite, Team Fortress 2 and Dota 2! What a mess!

• pagla says:

seriously dota 2 how is it pay to win pls explain
        and pls play the games u are talking about before commenting on them
        As far as i have played it buying anything does not change any ability whatsoever

• Dominic White says:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. But a lot of people do seem to dogpile any F2P article with reminders of how very not-interested they are in this game they’ve never played, and how they know it’ll bleed them dry without ever having looked at how much anything costs.

• drvoke says:

Is it better if I say I won’t play it because I won’t ever give Ubisoft another nickel? (Or another second of my time, more relevant in this case.)

• DerNebel says:

I heard they got those wotsits…. RARE items in dota2! In boxes, no less! And you have to buy keys to get them! What are they THINKING?!

This game looks fun. If the business model feels fair, I’d be willing to shell out for this.

• Calabi says:

I’ve tried nearly all of them and I’m getting that way.

2. trjp says:

Humour is a bit – erm

Textures look a bit ‘soft’ too – like they’ve not quite loaded yet – or is that just Youtube do you think?

I like the idea – sort-of – it might just scratch the itch that Orcs Must Die never quite did, of building defences and testing them out/tuning them (OMD often had one solution and lots of ways to fail)

Hmmmz

• Ultra Superior says:

I share your sentiments. Also I dont like how

THEY PLAY US AGAINST EACH OTHER IN ORDER TO BUY STUFF FROM THEM

what a sinister take on grind/freemium/social/envy addiction.

TAKE IT DOWN AND BURN ALL FACEBOOKS !!!!

thesundaybest says:

Someone has been playing a little bit of Deathspank…

4. MeestaNob says:

That video is trying hard, but it still made me smile.

One to watch. Ubisoft though…

Faldrath says:

It’s a bit interesting that I find that I might want to play this, whereas I consider The Castle Doctrine to be really abhorrent. Fantasy makes everything better?

• Dominic White says:

It’s a mixture of the setting, tone and art style. This is a world of magical cartoon jerks building flying castles and being jerks to each other, because that’s what they do. The Castle Doctrine is just quiet, grey and low-fi enough to make the subject matter of murdering peoples dogs and families to get their money all the creepier.

6. Lobotomist says:

The idea is great. But anyone considering to play this seriously will have his pocket drained.

I bet anything remotely good will be sold in cash shop. And people investing lot of money will just stomp over anyone who isnt.

7. Loque says:

For a moment I thought I was watching a Torchlight 2 gameplay video. Same graphics.

8. realitysconcierge says:

Learning about this game prompted me to delve into the classic dungeon keeper 2, which then spurred me into startopia while simultaneously piquing my interest in stronghold kingdoms. I want to play this game lol.

Edit: Though I do wish they tried a little harder to not rip off the aesthetics of TL2…

9. InternetBatman says:

That trailer is as bland and uninspired as the name. I like the whole dungeon building idea, but they are just not selling the game.