And Homeworld Went To… Gearbox?

By Jim Rossignol on April 22nd, 2013 at 8:18 pm.

Seems unlikely, but it is apparently true. The rumour that the announcement would be today turned out to be actuality! The Borderlands developer said: “Brian Martel, Gearbox Software’s Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic’s brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition. Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox’s interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today’s leading digital platforms.”

So that’s a remake or re-release. But what about that sequel? Gearbox have opened discussion on their forums.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. fish99 says:

Off topic, but the animated ads on RPS just kill my laptop, to the point where browsing the site becomes a nightmare of freezes and delayed scrolling.

2. Duke of Chutney says:

“making them accessible on today’s leading digital platforms.”

so does this mean Z axis movement and a free camera are out?

3. Caiman says:

Gearbox’s statement sounds oh so similar to their initial excitement for Aliens: Colonial Marines, and yet they soon grew bored of that in favor of their beloved Borderlands franchise.

I will never buy a Gearbox game again after the way they lied to us about Aliens: Colonial Marines, and how totally incompetently they managed its outsourcing. Lest we forget.

4. Jad says:

I guess I just don’t have this incredible hatred for Gearbox that everyone else seems to, probably in part because I never pre-order games and wait for reviews and word-of-mouth before I buy anything (Borderlands was actually one of the few exceptions to that, pre-release Steam sale and tons of hype made me cave).

I liked Opposing Forces a bunch, thought the first Brothers In Arms was great, didn’t play the other ones, and got somewhat burned by Borderlands, but could see that it was more that it wasn’t the game for me, rather than a terrible game. I, like basically everyone else, could tell that Duke Nukem was going to be a clusterfuck — the fact that it was playable start-to-finish seems like a miracle approaching water-into-wine, and Aliens: CM had terrible buzz leading up to its release, and the reviews told me everything I needed to know.

Now Homeworld is very close to my heart, so I will be pissed if they screw it up, but I’m not immediately dismissing Gearbox out of hand.

• Upper Class Twit says:

I’ll back your optimism, or at least, your lack of pessimism.

Never played Homeworld myself. I’m sure its a great game and all, and it would suck for its legacy to become that of crappy shooter, but can we at least wait for some footage, or hell, even some concept art to come out before we all pass judgement? Its not like Gearbox is asking you to back their kickstarter, or pre-order, or anything like that.

And for what its worth, I thought Borderlands 2 was a fine game, regardless of its ugly, bastard step-child brother in development.

5. MeestaNob says:

This is basically the worst news ever.

Consider this a preemptive “fuck you” to Gearbox for when they inevitably make a pigs ear of this.

6. Hypocee says:

Though there’s all sorts of magnificence in Homeworld, I think it’s safe to say that at this point it’s mostly the story that’s lived on – and not the retcons of the sequel where they made the Kharak/Hiigarans space Nazis whose enemies banished them with an invaluable unique warp engine deeerrrrp. That story was penned by Arinn Dembo (under the pen name Marcus Skyler, #1reasonwhy), who now builds lore and theme at Kerberos, makers of the always interesting, variously clusterfucked Sword of the Stars games.

In terms of dreamcasting a worthy successor… a Kerberos Homeworld?
    What a dilemma!

7. Rufust Firefly says:

I’d still like to play Dust Wars. The most anticipated game of 2003!

8. DiFiasco says:

Gearbox just jumped the second shark.

9. Canisa says:

As long as it’s closer to Borderlands than Duke Nukem Forever, I’m pretty much okay with this.

10. Schiraman says:

Well, Homeworld was a beautiful but flawed game.

The atmosphere and the music were incredible, I loved the ship design and the world, and the full-3d RTS was interesting and fun, but wasn’t really great. The story was hit and miss, although built on stunning foundations, and the plot of Homeworld 2 in particular was actually pretty crap.

In many ways, Homeworld: Cataclysm was actually the strongest Homeworld game, and wasn’t made by Relic at all. It had a simple but decent story, well told, and better actual gameplay.

And yeah, I think Borderlands 1 &2 are pretty amazing games – distinctive, smart, solid and fun. Just because the characters in that world are shallow and stupid doesn’t mean that Gearbox are, and IMO the unique look and feel they pioneered for BL actually bodes well for them doing something distinctive and appropriate with Homeworld.

• dmoe says:

“tl;dr – Homeworld isn’t as perfect as we like to remember, and Borderlands is proof of genuine, innovative talent. Let’s not give up hope just yet.”

I just started replaying Homeworld again this past weeked and you couldn’t be more full of shit if you tried.

“Borderlands is proof of genuine, innovative talent.”

Are you serious? You have to be Randy Pitchford’s character account. Giving Gearbox Homeworld is like handing over Dark Souls to Zynga.

11. dangerman77 says:

“…with the intent of making them accessible on today’s leading digital platforms.”

What about the leading analogue platforms? WHAT ABOUT THEM???

12. Laythe_AD says: