NaissanceE Is Ambiently Atmospheric Architecture

By Jim Rossignol on April 22nd, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Regular readers of the Sunday Papers, among others who have suffered my music tastes, will be unsurprised to learn that I am extremely interested in nightmarishly ambient first-person experiment NaissanceE. Developed in UDK, this is a sequel to a previous mod series with a deeply worrying aesthetic. The game is “an adventure taking place in a primitive mysterious structure,” and will appear some time this year. It’s creator says: “the game mainly consists to explore and feel the deep and strong ambiance of this atemporal universe but platforming and puzzles sections will also enrich the experience. Loneliness, confrontation to gigantic architectures and imagination provided by philosophical journey in this lost area should enjoy players waiting for this kind of disturbing trip, lead by contemporary meditative music.”

A disturbing trip. It goes all a bit End Of 2001 In A Tomb, below.

1. Pliqu3011 says:

Looks amazing.
    I love it when games embrace the fact that they’re just games and don’t even try to look realistic.
    Where can I pay for this?

2. staberas says:

So antichamber wasn’t enough mindfuckery the market demands more abstract level design… i say no, thank you.
    Also WarfacE

3. webwielder says:

Kairo is a much better name.

• DarkFarmer says:

This is not by the Kairo guys is it? Just kind of name-dropping another textureless explorer? Looks awesome. I also bought Kairo and loved it.

4. Caiman says:

Incredible trailer, utterly compelling and now I’m ready to throw my money at it, which is odd as 5 minutes ago I’d never heard of it! Such is the power of dark ambient drones. I’m so glad to see gaming diversify and mature these days, there’s some great stuff coming out.

5. DickSocrates says:

The sound design and the visuals don’t match in my opinion. It doesn’t look all that nightmarish or weird, it looks like Quake 3 with the textures turned off. I thought this would be right up my street, but there’s a lack of awe. Walking around in these places might be better, but zooming through them means it’s impossible to get a sense of scale.

Also, I hope there’s some semblance of a story or mythos. Doesn’t have to be a plot exactly, but some philosophy to back it up. Antechamber was: Here are puzzles. That’s not really good enough.

• Zyrxil says:

It felt nightmarish enough to me. Don’t think Saw, think Cube. You wake up in a strange environment which is utterly lifeless to an antiseptic degree. The place is so empty, even your voice does not echo. You are utterly and hopelessly alone.

• sabrage says:

Think House of Leaves.

• Samwise Gamgee says:

Cube is exactly what came to mind when I as watching this! Although the structure is quite different it gave the same feeling of fear and claustrophobia and not knowing where you are, what the structure is or who made it, or how to get out, if there even is a way out.

I am very interested and quite freaked out too.

Sinomatic says:

Thoroughly appreciated (if not exactly enjoyed) that trailer. I’m quite interested in trying it, though not sure if it will be my sort of thing (screenshots would no doubt be numerous, however).

7. Delirius says:

megastructure from Blame!

• Niko says:

It is somewhat similar, although in the end it shows that’s there is outside of this structure… I think.

• ChrisGWaine says:

The City of Blame has an outside, shown in the one-shot Blame!²

This looks very interesting.

• noom says:

Instantly brought Blame! to mind for me too. I really need to re-read those.

• Ravenholme says:

Wow, it really is. I swear parts of it are almost identical to some of the wide, structural show-off pages in Blame!

AlwaysRight says:

Reminds me of “Blame!” I had an idea to make a procedurally generated exploration-survival-roguelike that looked alot like this. My attempt to make it was foiled only by my utter lack of talent as a game dev. UTTER.

Edit: Delirius also made the distinction as I was typing this out

• YogSo says:

Heh, I just logged to strongly recommend Jim to check out Blame! Even if he’s not into manga, I think he’ll really dig Tsutomu Nihei’s vast, cyberpunky landscapes.

Ah, I see Delirius has also made the same Blame! connection. This project is very reminiscent of it, indeed.

• Ulaxes says:

Actually I’ve been also thinking about this for quite some time, cool to see other people
      share my dreams :)
      Maybe it’s time to write a concept and kick a starter on web.

Something like:

- Procedual generated worlds with different phases and implemented storyline
      - Plattforming and climbing
      - Stats and Skills, augmenting Killi’s body
      - different factions that follow specific goals (stop the mutation of the megastructure / enhance the chaos / build structures)
      - destructable enviroment (but Killi’s Megagun should not have the power like in the Manga, at least not in the beginning)

Could be 2D or 3D, preferable 3D to have the vertikal and horizontal freedom.
      Would be so awesome!

9. Terragot says:

Yes, but can you talk to the architectures?

10. smiddy says:

It all looks and sounds incredibly unnerving, which I’m not too keen to experience, but any game where the focus is on exploration, with minimal contact of any kind always appeals to me. So I hope there really is exploration and plenty of it. The last game that got me all excited like this was Journey and while that turned out to be a fantastic game it wasn’t at all what I was hoping for.

11. CutieKnucklePie says:

I love the sound, but the visuals are a bit plasticky. I hope the text/story puts that terrible isolation and dread to good use, sort of like a House of Leaves game should.

• KilgoreTrout_XL says:

I love that book. Is there a House of Leaves-genre I’ve missed?

• CutieKnucklePie says:

I wish! Would make for a very interesting setting.

• sabrage says:

You might want to check out Yellowbrickroad. It’s awful, but the premise is similar.

SpakAttack says:

This was exactly what I was thinking.

• realitysconcierge says:

Totally checking this book out of the library now.

12. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

Very cool. Reminds me of the citadel in HL2.

13. vivlo says:

sometimes videogames

14. dcalogue says:

I registered only to say:
    Why does nobody remembers this???

ok, it was 5 years ago, but I think that anyone that played thismod would remember it.

waiting for the release (you should update the tags so both posts are linked)

• realitysconcierge says:

That’s a really good memory there lol

• AaronLee says:

That mod looks awesome. Very bizzare machinery is at play in that mod’s setting. That ‘siren’ at the beginning before the ‘elevator’ springs to mind.

15. Fluka says:

That trailer made me very nervous, but also made my fingers involuntarily twitch towards my wallet.

Cardinal says:

ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn

17. Dreforian says:

To me, at least for the first minute, it looked a lot like textureless architecture from a star wars game (think jedi knight’s nar shadaa and some other more imperial locales). The rest of it has more abstracty stuff (and the soundtrack makes it creepier) but otherwise I get a Tron 2.0 vibe minus the neon.

18. trout says:

Looks AMAZING! Also, fantastic drone audiotrack! This, and Memories of a Broken Dimension, are shaping up to be my most anticipated games currently!

19. AaronLee says:

Veeeery eerie.

I definitely appreciate the minimalist approach, there’s no terror like; “The @#$% am I even looking at?! WHAT IS THAT?!” Gotta love surrealism and formless alien tones.

20. bluenine says:

I love the 2001-like music and the vast scale reminds me of the Blame! manga. You could do SO much with this kind of setting, lets hope they have good ideas