Somebody Bought Homeworld, But Who?

By Jim Rossignol on April 22nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

An update to the Homeworld Touch and Homeworld 3 Kickstarter announces that the teamPixel bid to obtain the Homeworld IP has failed. They explain: “The auction for the Homeworld license ended April 15, 2013, and while we reached qualified bidder status for the bankruptcy auction, we were unable to raise the necessary funds to remain competitive against the other parties at the auction.” teamPixel will be offering refunds, and starting their own space game. We don’t know who got the license. It wasn’t Paradox or Stardock, although they were both bidding.

Word on the street internet is that we might find out later today, or alternatively not until mid-May. We’ll update when we know something. (Presumably it wasn’t RPS-chum Robert Yang.)

, .

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

RPS Fantasy-O-Tron: Activate!

Who would you like to have the license?

RedViv says:

Valve.

• Low Life says:

Wasn’t there some concept art floating around for a space game by Valve?

• killias2 says:

Valve? Releasing the third game in a series?

Unpossible.

Crimsoneer says:

Tim Langdell

• RobinOttens says:

How about those guys working on Hardware: Shipbreakers. Blackbird? Would seem the most logical choice from where I’m standing. Doubt they’d have the budget for that auction though.

Valve would be really interesting also. After seeing them tackle DOTA2 I have faith in them making non-FPS games.

• staberas says:

T2 and they will make a great job into transforming it into an FPS

• Jams O'Donnell says:

I suspect you’re being silly, but a non-RTS take on the Homeworld license could be interesting. It’s a shame the space shooter genre (X-Wing, Freespace, etc) has died out.

• staberas says:

So if they made a Homeworld Poker Night you wouldn’t rage?

• Keasar says:

Thanks to Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Limit Theory and others I would say that space shooters is finally in a potential upswing again. :)

• Lev Astov says:

I would play a Homeworld shooter SO HARD. Man the guns!

• Parge says:

Wargaming – then they set Chris Taylor to work. Oh and its not FTP.

Cinek says:

Jeez… not Wargaming. It would be as bad as EA or Ubisoft buying IP.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Agreed, Wargaming would be terrible.

In Soviet Russia, Intellectual Property buys you!

FhnuZoag says:

Dum dum dum

• Tolkfan says:

Ummm… Relic?

Crimsoneer says:

NOTCH. 0x10c renamed to Homeworlds Adventures

• Andy`` says:

Blackbird Interactive would be the dream but…reality is never what we wish :(

• Loyal_Viggo says:

North Korea.

FriendlyFire says:

Sega, and it’s probably Sega who got it too.

Hopefully they do better than THQ with it and actually get Relic to make something with it.

• Tssha says:

Bohemia Interactive. With their strong emphasis on location research, they’ll send up some folks to take pictures of space and then get arrested for taking photos of the ISS.

2. Subject 706 says:

Well, good thing both teamPixel and Stardock failed to get the IP. Paradox would have been interesting though.

Hanban says:

I too am really glad that neither of those two parties got their hands on the franchise. Paradox I admit I would have been interested to see what they could do with it, but ultimately I’d rather see them make more space games of their own.

Who owns Relic these days? I know many of the old chaps who worked on Homeworld 1&2 are gone now, but perhaps they’ll get their hands on the IP again.

• Captain Joyless says:

Paradox may have been interesting but ultimately it would have been another crappy release that may have become a playable game a year after release.

• Werthead says:

Relic are now owned by Sega.

• BobbyDylan says:

Who make the Total War games…. so a Sega owning Homeworld might not be a bad thing….

Cinek says:

“I know many of the old chaps who worked one Homeworld 1&2″ – almost all of them are gone by now. I know of one concept artist that remained in Relic, but noone else.

FriendlyFire says:

I’d be worried Paradox would’ve turned the game into a turn-based strategy game with broken multiplayer and more bugs than you can shake a stick at.

Stardock could’ve given the IP to Ironclad, remember.

• killias2 says:

Haha, just as I submit comment, I see you also mentioned Ironclad. I didn’t think of it initially, but that actually could’ve made sense. Stardock + Ironclad.

• killias2 says:

I’m not sure any of the three would’ve been right for Homeworld, even though I actually like Stardock and am a huge Paradox fan. Paradox’s main strength are its PDS games. If they made a HW-clone, it would be farmed out to some random third party, and God knows how it would end up. I like Stardock, but, again, they just don’t have the infrastructure in place for this. However, I guess I could’ve seen Stardock and Ironclad teaming up on this (like Sins of a Solar Empire)? Come to think of it, that actually makes more sense than I realized. Still, I’m not sure Stardock is ready to handle HW, with or without Ironclad.

Team Pixel, meh, I don’t trust random people with HW either.

Overall, I hope it went to a company that’s big enough to give this a proper release but small enough not to be fucking douchebags about it and ruin the property forever.

3. lordcooper says:

I, for one, welcome our new intergalactic, hat trading overlords.

4. Arach says:

Well,hopefully someone that will actually do something with it and not just sit on it for a decade.

Wouldn´t mind if it was sega tbh,having Creative Assembly and Relic onboard and with a strong focus on the PC market in the last few years,they would probably do something with it sooner rather than later.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Reportedly wasn’t Sega or Relic.

Random idea: Valve.

• Captain Joyless says:

Also my random idea! Wouldn’t it be grand?

• dE says:

If it were Valve, I’d abandon all hope. It’d be the third installment in the series.

• Gnoupi says:

We might build the real Mothership before seeing Homeworld 3 coming, in this case.

tigerfort says:

Thus making an interesting test case. After all, we don’t yet know whether Valve are incapable of making the third game in a series, or (subtly different) incapable of making three games in the same series. If they’ve bought Homeworld, we might get two new HW games before Valve seize up on it!

GiantPotato says:

Maybe, but I’m not really looking forward to Valve getting a renewed interest in making games. That’s what Stardock did, and I ended up with a Gamestop-branded digital download app as a result.

• Maniac says:

… Renewed? Left For Dead is still being updated with content, and they’re still busy working (quite excellently, too) on Dota 2, and then theres Half Life 3…
          Those are just the ones that’re obvious, mind you. I wouldnt be surprised if they’d already started some sort of ground-work on a new Left For Dead or something. Valve never stopped making games, mon.

FriendlyFire says:

I’ve seen that Paradox, teamPixel and Stardock didn’t get it, but I’ve seen nothing about Sega.

Where did you hear that from?

• Arach says:

So yeah…Gearbox…

I dont know how I feel about that.

5. talon03 says:

Someone’s paid money for it, which means someone will be looking to make that money back. Hopefully by making a new Homeworld game.
    I call this a win then

• RobinOttens says:

Or at the very least by re-releasing the old games to be fully compatible with modern PCs.

Hanban says:

Indeed! Now maybe I can finally stop making wistful sighs as soon as HW1&2 are mentioned!

• Rich says:

Careful what you wish for. Those wistful sighs may soon become angry grunts.

• Yosharian says:

Look out for the new Homeworld First Person Shooter reboot, coming soon in 6 months (or sooner if the publisher can get the devs to rush it even more).

GiantPotato says:

I’m hoping for a casual indie roguelike with a steampunk aesthetic, personally.

6. Calabi says:

Why do people need these IP’s?

Cant they just make up their own instead of rehashing the past as if no one can do any better anymore.

• Spacewalk says:

Because we require a new Homeworld. Promptly.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Yeah, I don’t think there was anything particularly special about the Homeworld IP. It was always about the gameplay, and you require no license to clone and improve that.

Gap Gen says:

The story was fairly powerful, as far as game stories go. But sure, I’m unsure whether the universe particularly supports a sequel – the power of Homeworld was in the plot arc of the original game, not necessarily in the universe. As much as I liked Homeworld 2 and whatever the Homeworld expansion was called, it wasn’t nearly as powerful as Homeworld.

GiantPotato says:

You can make a fantastic game but that doesn’t mean anyone will hear about it. Without an established IP to draw attention to yourself you’re taking a gamble that people will be aware enough of your game to even evaluate it.

• Reapy says:

Didn’t homeworld sell poorly and it was considered an under appreciated game? So in this case the IP isn’t even particularly widespread. I just think what blew me away about homeworld was the Z axis working in the game, big fighter formations and all that stuff, really a lot of room for variations on that gameplay, a shame to never have seen that.

7. Yosharian says:

I heard it was Disney

8. Hillbert says:

GOG, moving into developing games.

• GamerOS says:

GoG is owned by CD project RED, and as far as I know they already make games :P

• Hillbert says:

I refuse to let your facts stand in the way of my baseless and idle speculation!

9. Servizio says:

It was me. I’m an eccentric millionaire who likes to buy beloved intellectual properties just so I can rub my butt on them. *rub rub*

10. Iskariot says:

I have always been a huge Homeworld fan. And I have been rooting for Homeworld 3 from the moment I played HW 2. But no more. I lost my faith. I have no confidence at all that this will ever come to fruition while I am still alive. I consider it a dead IP. I still play HW 2 though.

11. hitnrun says:

It was me, you guys. I never played Homeworld but trust me, you’re going to love this.

12. Duke of Chutney says:

its interesting to see such a resurgence in interest in these sorts of games. It wasn’t that long ago i was always reading talk of the lack of a market for a HW3, and now the licence is worth gold dust.

13. Maxheadroom says:

Maybe it was EA.
    Perhaps by Christmas we’ll be seeing Homeworld: The Always Online FPS

14. Tei says:

Worst case scenario: A koren F2P game makers.
    Best case scenario: Anyone else.

I think we probably are on a best case scenario (the best scenario).

15. bigjig says:

All I really hope for is that the new IP owner puts the games on GOG, much like what happened with System Shock 2. A third game in the series probably wouldn’t capture the magic of the original anyway.

Gap Gen says:

Activision.

17. jussipe says:

It was…

Sgt. Pepper, bedroom, a car

18. Keasar says:

For me, any company is allowed AS LONG as they re-release Homeworld 1 and 2 on GOG.com, and then as a added bonus fund the development of Homeworld 3.

19. Stelly says:

I hope its not Blizzard! :(

20. Lev Astov says:

How did I not know about this Kickstarter campaign? HOW DID I NOT KNOW? I would have given them much money. The gaming community’s word of mouth has failed me.

• Maniac says:

Useless devs whom have never made anything but apps (none-gaming ones, mind you.), and the kickstarter was a “we take whatever money we get”, and thus it was quite shady.
      Oh and their ideas for a new game sounded ridiculous and horrid. So thats why, I think.

FriendlyFire says:

The gaming community heard of them and wisely decided not to help them.

Their primary goal was to port the games for touch devices. With less than 100k. They were utterly deluded.

21. nimzy says:

If System Shock 2 was any indication, an insurance company probably bought Homeworld’s IP and has no idea what it is or how to exploit it. It’s just an asset on the books.

22. MOKKA says:

Whoever owns the rights, I’m sure they have ‘Top Men’ working on it right now:

• Bolegium says:

Oh dear, I am pre-emptively abandoning all hope of playing a good new Homeworld game. Sorry for being so negative, I’m sure Gearbox will do their best, I just don’t see how that would be of any help in making a good Homeworld game that lives up to the IP that they’ve taken from the carcass of THQ/Relic.

SpakAttack says:

Better not be EA. They’ve fucked up too many beloved game series already.

24. WrenBoy says:

If you start watching the recent planetary annihilation video at 14:10 and squint your ears very very hard, its clear Uber have bought it.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Lies

• WrenBoy says:

Well someone said Homeworld 3 and then someone else laughed knowingly / at something completely different. Good enough for me.

Edit: Stupid grindy gearbox mutter mutter mutter

25. MOKKA says:

this went just in:

edit: damn it and here I thought I was faster then anyone else…

• PatrickSwayze says:

Can I be the first to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

26. Reapy says:

Is the homeworld IP really that important? I mean I enjoyed the story and music/mood etc but certainly their ship designs and the like weren’t so amazing that you have to buy the license to make a 3d space RTS game with a Z axis…and that is really what we want when we say we want another homeworld, right? If someone wants to make a ‘spiritual successor’ it’s all in the clear I would think.