The Brothers Gibs: God Mode Released

By Jim Rossignol on April 22nd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Old School Games’ “retro”-TPS God Mode, which was announced last year, has suddenly appeared on the short-range radar of release. The game is on Steam, where it asks: “Do you like running? How about gunning?” Well, okay. But actually I like sitting and drinking tea quite a lot more.

There’s a gameplay trailer below, so you can raise your eyebrows, make some kind of judgement. It does look pretty exciting. It’s got power ups and everything. Oh I dunno, I am so full of mucus. And so old.

Yeah. I quite like zombies armed with what look like farming machineries.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Spoon Of Doom says:

I’m not entirely sure about the game. Looks like a third person Left 4 Dead with a dash of Painkiller, which may be good or bad, depending on how good the moment to moment gameplay is.

But what I do love is the old man and his enormous Competition Pro in the company logo splashscreen.

• Kobest says:

Same here, not sure about the quality of this one. Watched Totalbiscuit’s video last night for a bit and it looked like a dull and repetitive shooter.

• your evil twin says:

I’ve already done another reply further down saying this, but TotalBiscuit got a lot of stuff INCREDIBLY wrong in his video.

I recommend watching this video instead, to get something more representative of normal gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaL9wZfpazg Unfortunately it is another singleplayer video rather than multiplayer co-op, but at least the guy actually knows how to play the game and how to use the various systems and upgrade mechanics.

Literally 8 out of 10 criticisms that TotalBiscuit had about the game are pretty much invalid. He completely misunderstood how the levelling and weapon upgrade mechanics work and was playing matches using shitty weapons that he was supposed to have upgraded already.

2. Text_Fish says:

Look’s like a third person shooter in the video. Boooo.

• The Random One says:

I have no problems with third person shooters, but a game named God Mode oughtn’t be one.

3. Yuri says:

Trailer doesn’t really look appealing at all, to be honest.

Also, Warframe is currently scratching my 3rd person Coop itch.
    It’s astonishingly good for a F2P game still in beta and they’ve added a ton of stuff in the last couple of patches.
    Update 8 should be arriving soon, I’d love if RPS would cover the game a bit more, it definitely deserves it.

• Maniac says:

WORF RAYME!
      -That is all.

• mechabuddha says:

I downloaded Warframe yesterday on a whim. I had no prior knowledge, as I had been ignoring it because of the name. 3 hours later, and I’m begging my wife to play, too.

“Is it free-to-play?”
      “Yes, but it’s fun!”
      “Is it pay-to-win?”
      “Yes, but it’s fun!”

• Low Life says:

Seeing how the game is entirely cooperative, pay-to-win might be the wrong term. Or at least it shouldn’t matter a bit, as long as it’s not pay-to-have-fun.

• mechabuddha says:

You’re right. But pay-to-be-better-than-your-teammates-but-it’s-cooperative-so-maybe-it-doesn’t-matter-as-much doesn’t have the same ring.

strangeloup says:

I had a go of Warframe but uninstalled it after about 3-5 missions. I personally found that while the visuals were really good from a technical point of view, aesthetically (in terms of art direction and such) they were dull as ditchwater.

The missions too — though they may of course change later in the game — seemed quite dull and repetitive, and I just couldn’t be bothered with it.

• nrvsNRG says:

been playing godmode and warframe and warframe is the definately the best out of the two (but that doesnt mean much).

• Phendron says:

Wharf Rem really suffers in replay value. Endgame content is just ‘boss farming’, and the fights (particular Grineer bosses) are pretty uninspired.

I know it’s mostly lack of content due to the beta status, but they have a long way to go.

4. maximiZe says:

The announcer was enough to completely put me off the game. Writing and voice acting don’t get much worse.

Earl-Grey says:

Is it just me, or do some of those maps look quite reminiscent of maps from God of War?
    -and some of the enemies too.

6. Niko says:

Third-person? That’s, like, totes not old school. Me not approve.

7. Lurid says:

Me and some friends played some this weekend. Although, when we were going to play a second map, the game started de-syncing like mad. Restarted and the same thing happened. We retried again and one person only half-joined. (He couldn’t press Ready).
    Hopefully it’ll be fixed soon, was fun to play.

• Lurid says:

Oh, and you’re not allowed to bind the keys as you want. I couldn’t use any of my mousebuttons.

8. kud13 says:

Now, you can call me old-fashioned if you must, but doesn’t FPS mean all you see is a gun and the stuff in front of the gun, to point the gun at?

this may good, but as a “gameplay trailer for an FPS” it is a failure.

JB says:

It’s a TPS – third person shooter

E: Ah, reading below, I see that it was a typo in the original news post. Carry on.

9. realkruste says:

Here’s what TotalBiscuit had to say about God Mode: http://youtu.be/2zu4G3haPUA

• your evil twin says:

I’m usually a big fan of TotalBiscuit’s videos, but he got some straightforward facts seriously wrong in his “WTF is God Mode” video. For a rather more useful “first impressions” video that gets its facts straight, check out this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaL9wZfpazg

TotalBiscuit complained that there were no co-op abilities such as group healing, despite the fact that the very first ability you can unlock is a group heal ability. He said that levelling up is a ludicrously slow grind, without realising that he had already levelled up (you start off at level 0, not level 1). He had already earnt enough gold to buy several upgrades for the SMG and the double-barrelled shotgun, but he didn’t buy them, and then complained at the poor accuracy of the SMG and the slow reload speed of the shotgun, despite the fact that he could have upgraded those exact things. (Buying just one upgrade for the shotgun reload speed HALVES the reload time, and upgrading it again halves it yet again!) He also said it was a shame the upgrades don’t cause any visible change to the weapons, but if he had actually bought the upgrades he would have seen that they do cause visible changes.

He moaned that the game was completely unbalacned for singleplayer… which is not surprising as the game doesn’t HAVE a singelplayer mode. The onyl way to play singleplayer is to start a “custom game” for friends and then not invite any friends. The normal Quick Game mode puts you into a 4-player co-op game, which is the way it is supposed to be played. He based his opinions on 45 minutes of playing singleplayer, which unsurprisingly was tedious and unbalanced, and then he tried to play multiplayer and the game froze near the end of the match, so he never even got to see the cool final boss or the “gold room” at the end where friendly fire is turned off and you get to run around collecting vasts amount of gold, killing your friends to try and steal even more. Beating one match in co-op gives you enough experience to level up (at least it does for the first 4 levels) and enough gold to buy all the upgrades for one weapon.

There’s also the fact that the Silver and Gold difficulty settings provide a far more exciting challenge, and give you more experience and gold, and there’s the interesting oath system that allows you to gain XP and gold even faster at the cost of some handicaps. There are 8 oaths to choose from. For instance, reduce the effectiveness of health pickups, get a 10% increase, reduce the size of ammo pick ups, get an 8% increase, disable your special ability (shield, group heal, etc) and gain 30% increase. Of course, this makes things much riskier and reduces your chance of beating the match – especially as you may be screwed over by one of the random Tests of Faith like fog covering the battlefield or enemies being bigger and stronger. But if you survive, you get massive rewards.

The game isn’t great, but it certainly isn’t bad either. It’s fun (especially with friends, and especially if the Test of Faith cause something unexpectedly awesome/random/horrible to happen), and has an interesting graphical style with great looking monsters, and it is £7.

I understand that TotalBiscuit’s “WTF is” videos are supposed to be “first impressions” videos, but I he normally plays for a good 3 hours or so before starting his video, rather than one hour. And he spent 45 minutes of that hour in singleplayer (which the game isn’t designed for) and 15 minutes multiplayer, and completely dismissed it without understanding the level-up system or weapon upgrade system at all. Very sloppy indeed.

10. Echo Black says:

Old School Games’ retro-FPS God Mode, which was announced last year

TPS, surely?

EDIT: You fixed it just as I posted this

11. staberas says:

I’m still waiting for a competitive old school tea drinking death match game… >:(

Sinomatic says:

Godmode: The game with the voice-over that not even a Knightmare baddie would use.

13. Calabi says:

I’m not very good at choosing oaths, so I might as well not play the game.

14. Michael Fogg says:

This could have been a very nice Painkiller/Serious Sam-inspired shootfest if they created it as a properly old-school single player game, with optional co-op. Instead they ruined it with the upgrades treadmill nonsense, it’s just sad.

15. webwielder says:

Jim’s always mentioning how old and sick and weak he is. Is he suffering from some chronic illness, or is he depressed? Or just a mildly discomfiting running gag.

16. vash47 says:

This doesn’t look oldschool at all. Instead with all the xp garbage it looks like any other modern shooter.