Relic Foresees ‘Strong Possibility’ Of More Dawn Of War

By Nathan Grayson on April 23rd, 2013 at 9:00 am.

And then they met in the middle and hugged, and there was no more war ever again.

It’s been one of those days. And by that, I of course mean what everybody does when they say that: a day during which basically everything you read somehow relates to THQ’s slow, withering dismemberment at the vulture-like beaks of hungry publishers. But that goes without saying. Some things, however, aren’t quite as simple as months and months of studio and license sales, culminating in more questions than answers. For instance, what happens if a series gets tangled up in the crisscrossing webs of multiple owners? Sure, THQ’s now history, but that still leaves Relic, Sega, and Games Workshop to figure out the logistics of bringing Dawn of War back from the brink. And yet, while it won’t necessarily be the easiest thing in the world, Relic game director Quinn Duffy is confident that it can – and probably will – eventually happen.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Duffy was quite upbeat about the modern Warhammer RTS classic’s chances of rising again. Fortunately, it turns out that Sega was right for Relic on a number of levels, allowing the planets to align for more Games Workshop collaborations. Duffy explained:

“Dawn of War, because it’s a license and it’s owned by Games Workshop, they have the opportunity to work that license with whoever they want. I would hope it would be us again. We had a great working relationship with Games Workshop. Sega is establishing one now with the fantasy license for Creative Assembly.”

“There’s a strong possibility we’ll all be working together again on Dawn of War.”

He did, however, note that he’d want to take a serious technological leap before letting a new Dawn of War see the light of day, especially in regards to Relic’s current in-house game engine. “Whatever’s happening has to take that into account,” he added.

And then he did a bunch of coy smiling and teasing, which is akin to signing contracts and confirmation papers with my heart. This had better come to fruition, Duffy. Otherwise, I will break, like a lone marine against a Carnifex. What will your sly looks and pleasing words be then, huh?

Oh god please don’t hurt me I’m so frail right now.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Crosmando says:

Hopefully they return DoW to being an actual RTS, with base-building, a more zoomed-out camera with higher unit cap, bigger battles etc, I personally hated the squad-based thingy DoW2

• Grey Poupon says:

I actually prefer DoW 2 quite a lot. The single player wasn’t much fun, but the multiplayer is a lot more complex than the unit spamming that was DoW 1. Part of this might be because I like the micromanagement that comes with loads of activatable skills. It’s like a MOBA/RTS hybrid. The units are often about as complex as the single one you control in the DotA-like MOBA games. (God I still hate the MOBA -abbrevation)

Dawn of War 2 was quite different from the mainstream, so it’s easy to see why it splits opinions so much. Still, I find it to be one of the most enjoyable pvp multiplayer RTS games.

• slerbal says:

Yeah I far preferred DoW2 for many reasons, but mostly because it felt much more 40k. Starcraft style base building isn’t something that happens in the Warhammer 40k background, fiction, wargames or rpgs.

But also I have never enjoyed base building amd tank spamming whereas drop pods and whooosh-bang jumppacks were so much more fun.

I enjoyed DoW2 both single player amd with friends :-)

• BoobyTrap says:

I agree that base building isn’t necessary for WH40K game, but I hated how small scale the battles were in DoW 2. The original DoW had the perfect army sizes for me.

• RedViv says:

Indeed, it felt closer to smaller battles in the TT. I would certainly love to see what they might come up with if they went down that route further, making the factions handle even more differently. Which might open the possibility for bigger battles, but in a different way than pure squad-based standard RTS.

• Scroll says:

Smaller battles on the Table top? Are you mad. The average 40k match had twice as many troops and armoured things than DoW2. Yet I do agree creating a greater difference in factions but that’s pretty hard to do with 40k since every faction has equivalent units as of the most recent rules.

• RedViv says:

What I meant were smaller battles, but done in such a way to more closely resemble the TT. As opposed to traditional RTS plus squads in DoW1.
            Confusingly phrased. Early morning. I apologise.

• Grey Poupon says:

If you’re still keen on playing it, check out the Elite Mod. They first aimed at balancing the game out and removing bugs, but now they’ve added Grey Knights as a faction and a few new units for all the old ones. The quality of their work is pretty good too. I’m pretty sure the multiplayer scene for the Elite Mod is bigger than the vanilla DoW 2 multiplayer scene. Almost every cast posted on gamereplays.net is of Elite Mod.

• Voon says:

I prefer to think DoW 2 as an experiment seperate from DoW. It’s actually pretty good but disappointing when the scale of the battles are small. They’re probably trying to opt for something CoH-like with this but it didn’t really satisfy me that much, even when I thought it was quite fun to play. Plus, the made Eldar much more fun to play as than in DoW

• DerNebel says:

I like both! Dawn of War is really one of my favourite RTS series.

The first one was a great little RTS with a really nice sense of scale, there were a LOT of units in your army, but never unmanageable numbers. In my opinion the main thing it suffered from was a lack of tactility and responsiveness from your units. It made micromanagement feel kind of hamfisted compared to Starcraft and Command and Conquer games. I really, really loved the dynamics of the different races, especially the necrons (once they balanced the goddamn necron warriors). It really felt like you had hundreds of thousands of robot zombies just below the surface, slowly awakening at your call.

Dawn of War 2 was brilliant. There are no two ways about it. While purists may dislike the levelling and lack of base-building, and w40k diehards would hate the tiny scale, I really liked it. The game simply felt really nice to play, and the choice to forgo chaos in favour of tyranids in the base game showed a dedication to solid gameplay compared to lore-catering. Oh, and it was really, really pretty.

If Relic can get their hands on the IP, I’d trust them to make a worthy successor to the series.

• Bhazor says:

But DOW2 was objectively bad in many ways. An incredible amount repetition, easily exploitable retreat mechanic and a unit count so small that it basically prevented you from any real customization. Maybe they improved on it in the expansions but I thought the base game was rubbish. Multiplayer was slightly better but only because it was DOW 1 HD.

• RedWurm says:

That’s not what objectively means

• Bhazor says:

The game has more repetition than a Korean MMO with about three missions repeating forty times. How is that anything but objectively bad?

• mouton says:

Bhazor, you are blowing things way out of proportion. Sure, there was some repetition but it was differentiated by strength levels, attack approaches and opposing force types. I finished Dow2 three times and all I could hear was choirs praising the Emperor.

• Bhazor says:

Opposing forces didn’t matter because there weren’t enough customisation options to allow novel ways to fight different enemies, approaches didn’t really factor in as most missions lead you from one fight to the next and strength level is just MMO style level scaling. It was the absolute classic example of style over substance, bombastic noise, flashy effects and great voice work around a very shallow experience.

You can complete the whole game using a single tactic with a single squad layout. Over and over and over again. In terms of strategy it was a big step back from CoH or DoW.

• mouton says:

“style over substance”

So it is like Warhammer 40k?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I’ve started to really dislike “awkward action games”, which I define as pretty much any game where you control multiple units and twitch is important. This includes everything from Grimrock to Starcraft.

I like games where I’m not wrestling with the controls and madly clicking all over the fucking place. In an RTS, that means more strategy and less real-time. SupCom was ideal.

• Rhodri2311 says:

I think it was a very Marmite game as it was such a departure from standard RTS games at the time. I personally found the multiplayer aspect of it much more engaging than the first and sank countless hours into it, due to the depth and complexity of mastering the races and gameplay.

• int says:

Is it too much to ask to want both modes?

• Fenixp says:

As in optional basebuilding and squad-based only? It is too much to ask, actually. But from what we’ve seen in the past, I think that DoW 3 is going to be something completely different yet again.

• Snidesworth says:

I’d like to have a fusion of the Risk-esq campaigns from the later expansions of DoW1 and the characterful psudo-RPG nature of DoW2.

Not sure what would be best for multiplayer since I barely touched it, but DoW2 was definitely the more distinct game.

• Bhazor says:

Yes. Because that is two entirely different games.

• unitled says:

I personally loved the lack of base building, and i could focus on tactics and strategy rather than optimising build orders. Since when do space marines build bases in the middle of a warzone anyway?

I really hope they build on the Last Stand mode, I loved that, probably the only real time strategy game/mode I’ve played online for any length of time.

• Syra says:

DOW 2 IS BETTER GO PLAY STARCRAFT YOU BASE BUILDING WHORES

• Soulstrider says:

I am going to be an Heretic and say that I enjoyed both styles.

Though I wouldn’t mind seing an EPIC scale game, there is a sore lack of Titans in videogames

• mouton says:

Both were excellent games. Both deviated from the boring twitchy Starcraft pattern in various ways.

Add Supreme Commander’s interface and tactical zoom and my head would explode.

• Archonsod says:

DOW 1 actually felt like a 40K game. DOW2 felt like someone had put Company of Heroes in 40K drag. Scaling it down didn’t help.

• Cutter888 says:

Why does an RTS necessarily NEED base building for it to be classed as an RTS? Personally, I find the likes of Starcraft, and the old but beloved C&C and Total Annihilation to me more of an exercise in resource management and build orders than actual strategy. DOW2 was more of a chess like game of counters and micro management, not just a case of who ever has the most units wins, but instead how you use the units you have. There are plenty of games more focused on base building and build orders, leave DOW as the brilliant micro management strategy that it is.

• poohbear says:

i love DoW2 the way it is! basebuilding is so lame and a waste of time! i wanna get right into the action!!! can’t stand spending 5-10minutes just building bases! how lame is that???

2. Arcalane says:

But what about Space Marine?

• Snidesworth says:

I’d like to see another 40k action game too. If they’re going to stick with Space Marine then they could contrive some reason for Titus to end up working alongside the Deathwatch. Or just sideline the plot from the original and focus on new characters. Jolly Co-Operation should be included either way, because what fun is there in playing as a space marine if you can’t fight alongside your battle brothers?

There’s also the game that once was Dark Millennium Online. Apparently that was getting retooled into a non-MMO, though who knows where it is now.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I’d like a Mass-Effect-With-Good-Combat (Of Grey Knights), about an Inquisitor landing on a Chaos-infected planet, managing his team of weird-ass retainers, tracking down the evil, and eventually taking on the demons with Grey Knight terminators.

• Kevin says:

DMC/Bayonetta-style action game featuring a Harlequin Solitaire. My hopes for that to come to fruition wasted away when Valhalla games left THQ, unfortunately.

• iniudan says:

I admit never thought of that one (most likely due to been more a Squats person, thus holding a grudge from fantasy counterpart =p) and I admit that would be awesome.

• tormos says:

I feel like squats people should really hold more of a grudge against Tyranids than anything else, given, well, you know…

• vecordae says:

How ’bout a casual game called Munitorium Dash where you match military supplies to mustachioed Imperial Guard Commanders. The better you do, the lower your score. Your score represents the number of lives lost due directly to your own incompetence. Sometimes Commissars show up. If you don’t get their order right, they kill you.

• Salix says:

Dark Heresy with action-type combat? Hell yes.

(actually, just a Dark Heresy game would be great).

• Gap Gen says:

And the choice between Paragon and Renegade becomes Virulent Bigot or Insane Demon-worshipper.

• strangeloup says:

Due to xkcd, I can’t help but read that as “weird ass-retainers”, which given some of the artwork and how long some inquisitors live, doesn’t seem completely out of the question.

• BooleanBob says:

Damn it all, I only just trained myself to stop doing that!

• massey says:

I would love a Warhammer 40K Big Boss: WHHHAAAAAAAGHH!!!! edition. :)
        (and some Eldar stuff maybe)

3. Skeletor68 says:

I much preferred DoW2 actually. RPG elements were a lot of fun.

4. guygodbois00 says:

I foresee another crappy sequel in the future, where I cannot bloody save my bloody campaign in action. Argh.
    “…Serious technological leap” – how about serious gameplay and UI leap first, eh?

• Fenixp says:

Well every single mission in the original DoW 2 was about 10-15 minutes long, and lack of in-mission saving prevented save scumming, which in turn made you improvise. I would like to see a bigger punishment for getting defeated in battle than losing a day, but … eh. At any rate, Chaos Rising actually added in-mission save feature.

5. GeminiathXL says:

Well this is weird. I somehow recalled a sort-of announcement to DOW3, though they were vague. Even found the article:

6. zontax says:

I still want a turnbased dawn of war game.
    I really enjoyed the strategy part of DOW2 but hated the twitchy gameplay.
    Looking at you, bossbattles. : (

• wodin says:

I have it on good authority we wont see a turn based PC game similar to the WH40K tabletop game. GW is to protective of it and think it will damage their tabletop sales..

• TheMick says:

But what about this?

I’m desperately hoping your good authority is wrong, I can understand why people would say GW is worried about losing TT sales to an identically structured pc version, but what about the legion of gamers that never will even attempt to break into TT? Or others like myself who tried but stopped due to lack of interest from friends and local gamers? I would hope that that group would account for themselves well in sales. IMO it does not seem likely that one fully invested in TT with those hours spent painting, assembling, and playing, would suddenly shelve it all for the digital version.

• DarkMalice says:

You have read my mind Zontax.
      Unfortunately now I must inform the Inquisition of your mutant-psychic heresy.

7. Scroll says:

I’d love a DoW3 to be a mix of the old first game in the series with what worked well in DoW2 but right now CoH2 does a lot of those core things pretty well and the state of the 40k lore is pretty dire these days.

8. Ultra Superior says:

DAWN OF WAR

MUST

PREVAIL !

9. sovietmisaki says:

If Relic can work together with the Creative Assembly provided Sega has the rights, I do hope for the day when they can put both of their strengths into one game and allow for epic battles with thousands upon thousands of units fighting each other, though thousands of Lasguns firing at once might prove to be overwhelming on system resources.

10. Gap Gen says:

Re: the alt text – In the grimdark of the far future, there is only d’aww.

11. Kevin says:

I really don’t understand the attachment to base-building for a Relic-style RTS. Even back in vCoH, base-building was extremely periphery (in a high-level match that would last for 45-60 mins, you were lucky if you built all the buildings on the tech tree) and I’m honestly surprised it made a return in the CoH 2 beta (except maybe to give differentiation between the two factions).

Either way, I need a new Dawn of War game yesterday. I’m having an absolute blast with the CoH 2 beta (I received XCom as a Steam gift at about the same time, and invested more than 60 hours into it to XCom’s 15), but it made me remember how much I love the 40K universe. And bring back Harlequins next time so I can turn those pesky Assault Terminators into Space Marine purée.

• mouton says:

People are attached to old patterns. They will whine incessantly that nothing new is ever made and then they will claw out your eyes if you change anything. Heh.

12. Earl-Grey says:

When I heard Sega had purchased Relic I started having very grimdark wet dreams of Total Warhammer 40K. That would surely be multiple orgasms made digital.

But I’ll very gladly take Dawn of War III in the meantime.

• LordMidas says:

Oh god yeah. Just imagine thousands of Space Marines and Orks beating the living b’jeezus outta each other on some war torn battle field, in a Total War stylee.

Replace Marines and Orks with Tyranids, Eldar, Necrons, etc. Drool.

I’d be shit at it, but god it would be fun.

13. HisDivineOrder says:

Sega doesn’t exactly have the best track record with games not made by Creative Assembly.

14. vanosofmanos says:

When it comes to Warhammer 40K, I really want a turn based game again. Strike that, what I really want is something that plays like Chaos Gate. While I’ve always wanted a computer game version of the table top rules, I can understand why Games Workshop wouldn’t: why bother buying hundreds of dollars worth of Space Marines that you have to build and paint when you can just plonk down $20 for the Blood Angel DLC? Something smaller scale, like the older SSI 40K games, would be awesome though.

If they had to do a RTS, though, I want one with base building elements again. While I enjoyed DoW 2 for it’s game play and RPG mechanics, I did miss many elements of DoW1 base building, especially in the single player. I’m not entirely sold on the idea of a 40K version of Total War: I always thought that Fantasy fit the Total War game play better.

Still, it’s kind of nice to get some clarification on where those rights stand!

15. Michael Fogg says:

DoW, along with Winter Assault is an RTS which I genuinely enjoyed, despite really hating the RTS genre. Really, grouping the units together into squads makes it *so* much more managable. I still think W40k is rubbish for 13 year olds.

• Low Life says:

“I still think W40k is rubbish for 13 year olds.”

I agree, it’s much better for 20 year olds. Sorry, I’m a bit tired…

16. 4th Dimension says:

I really liked the first Dawn of War because I think it nailed perfectly the setting and the atmosphere. On top of large scale battles and excellent animations it had all those awesome unit replies that really that fit their side. They really did make the game play more imersive since they mae game more atmospheric. So a bunch of crazed cultists were not only different by stats but by personality from a bunch of calm and precise Tau.

17. Iskariot says:

I hope the single player of DoW 3 will just be as dumbed down and boring and with a bad AI as in DoW 2. That will save me a lot of money. In the meanwhile I will keep enjoying myself with the first DoW series.

18. LordMidas says:

I think I’m going to spew with excitement!

I want a DOW3 (currently plowing through Chaos Rising) sequel so badly… with all the technological wizzbangery that comes with a game made for current tech.

AND I’m also excited for Slitherine TBS version of W40K. I want them all. So what if one has base building and one doesn’t… it’s all fun :)

19. poohbear says:

There is NO basebuilding in the DoW universe, that was such a lame carry over from other RTS like Starcraft and warcraft. Glad they ditched that and let you get right into the action!!! basebuilding is really just a waste of time, no reason for it at all for a fast paced RTS.

Comment on this story