Zantor The Barbarian’s: Dark Quest

By Jim Rossignol on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Look at that screenshot for a moment.

Anyway, Dark Quest looks – as Blue notes – not unlike resplendent boardgame classic HeroQuest. Something familiar about those fonts (see below)… Anyway, it’s currently on the Apple FingerScreen, and heading PCwards as we speak. You can see it in action below. It’s like a boardgame made all electronic, or something.

See if you can tell which game Dark Quest is inspired by:

(Hint:)

1. BooleanBob says:

Skulls of fate always say that, though.

• Yor Fizzlebeef says:

But… even the scary ones?

lowprices says:

Especially the scary ones.

• calibypolege says:

Blake. if you think Martin`s c0mment is amazing, I just purchased Citroën 2CV after I been earnin $4172 this last month and in excess of 10 grand this past munth. it’s by-far my favourite work I have ever done. I began this eight months/ago and pretty much straight away began to earn at least $70, per-hr. I use this great link wow65.com
        (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

Gap Gen says:

Fine then roll, roll through the gates of Hell!

2. TillEulenspiegel says:

Yes! More ripoffs of decent tabletop games, please. There are so many interesting mechanics and whole types of games that have been lost in the transition to the All-Electric Personal Computer format. Most of them, like HeroQuest, really don’t require any kind of human intelligence to implement.

I shall be prodding at this with my fingers tonight.

RedViv says:

Indeed, more of that is welcome. Especially when the official versions are turning out rather… peculiar.

• Beartastic says:

I agree, this looks like tons of fun and I would love to play more remakes of my old favourite tabletop games.

That said, I think they need to work harder to not simply lift art from Hero Quest: http://i.imgur.com/cQ2ZnJm.gif

3. Snidesworth says:

I might have to turn my coat and get this for my Android DigiSlab, seeing as it’s already available for it and currently being sold for a maddening 69p.

4. apocraphyn says:

Oh wow. This is like a proper blast to the past. May very well have to consider getting this.

5. Haplo says:

Here now, was that skull at the Barbarian’s feet filled with gold?

-Or- he keeps his gold in skulls, which is impractical yet kind of badass.

6. Soapeh says:

Looks like great fun, although I can’t stop visualising the characters swimming through water.

7. DarkMalice says:

I bought HeroQuest off ebay last month, it’s awesome with a few friends. This, however, I think I will pass.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

*envy*

Hero Quest was awesome.

JB says:

I still have my (much loved, much battered) copy from when I was a wee lad. What I need to do is find a crappy boardgame with a similar sized box, throw the crappy game out and reskin the box for HeroQuest. As a protective storage option, the original box is no longer very useful. (It’s basically 2 large flat pieces of cardboard now)

• DarkMalice says:

Probably find a proper box on ebay if you’re set on it. I was fortunate to find a set so untouched the skeletons were still on the sprue.

JB says:

Also, regarding Dark Quest’s obvious inspiration, check out the wizard in the sky above the village (about 0:48 in the video) just like the one on the DM’s screen in HeroQuest (was that meant to be Mentor, the heroes’, um, mentor or was it meant to be Morcar, the evil wizard?).

• mechabuddha says:

I noticed that, too! It’s almost a perfect ripoff. I love it.

lowprices says:

Man, Hero Quest was great. I’m going to buy that again.

Thanks for the inspiration, Dark Quest!

JB says:

I already have Arcane Quest (which is very much based on HQ too) on my Android phone but this looks tempting. Cheers for the heads-up.

10. MadTinkerer says:

Snifff… So beautiful. Here’s hoping the sequel goes Warhammer Quest-y (more heroes, bigger dungeon, more monsters, more modular, proper thick Roleplaying Rules book almost as heavy as a D&D book).

11. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

They’re using the same music theme from the old Speccy/Amiga version.

12. Jimbo says:

You should really have a link to the HeroQuest intro music, because it is good and I like it.

Faldrath says:

Has anyone played the mobile version of this? Do you get the full game when you pay, or are there microtransactions? If so, the good or the bad kind?

• Snidesworth says:

Nabbed it and played the first quest. No microtransactions that I can see, but one review says that the game is only 5 quests long. Might be that more will be patched in later, possibly with a cost attached.

I’ve somehow failed to play Hero Quest at any point during my life so I can’t compare, but it’s a simple and fun game so far. I’ve also started to develop my hatred of the Skull of Fate. All it ever did was rob me of my gold and my life.

14. Beefeater1980 says:

Good grief I recall playing HeroQuest (Board game) when I was…8? 9? It was a Good Thing. More of this is needed.

15. NathanH says:

I always wondered why on the HeroQuest box the Elf was about to stab the Dwarf in the back. Fortunately Dark Quest has avoided this confusion by replacing them with a busty archer who doesn’t appear to be in the game. Good call.

16. Inzimus says:

I’ll just put this here for everyone’s amusement:

(a homebrew conversion of the table-top game done [right] with editor and several new dungeons, etc., etc. as true to the original as they come)

• Baines says:

I haven’t played that in years. And wow, it had an update last year? I thought it was an abandoned project.

Hodge says:

I’LL USE MY BROADSWORD.

Also, there’s the old kind-of-good PC adaptation from 1991, which is probably more famous now for being the reason Sierra had to change the name of their RPG/adventure series to Quest For Glory.

My old copy of the boardgame is still in my Dad’s shed, where I see it covered in dust every time I visit. I’ve never dug it out because I’m pretty sure it won’t live up to my memories, though I’ve often thought of repurposing it as a drinking game.

• Panda Powered says:

I played the Amiga version a lot with three friends in my teenage days. The mouse broke at some point and we had to play it with a joystick. Not ideal for a mouse-based interface, but at least it was easier to pass around. The save-disk got corrupted several times too… The good old days.

• sophof says:

Wow, I thought my memory was deceiving me, but it is simply that the amiga version is far superior visually to the PC one apparently. I’d almost go so far as that it looks better than this new game. I don’t understand why they didn’t go for the isometric view.

Andy says:

This will never get finished. Games Workshop will have to cease and desist these guys when they see this. It’s identical!
    I think it even has some asset theft in there, look at the guy in the sky at 0:48 – he’s right off the cardboard shield for the evil player in the boardgame (modified slightly to replace spellbook with lightning fingers).

• malkav11 says:

I was about to correct you – HeroQuest was totally a Milton Bradley game and nothing to do with Games Workshop as far as I knew…but apparently it was a joint production and in theory HeroQuest is set in the Warhammer Fantasy world. Which seems like a giant stretch to me but…okay.

19. Moraven says:

Its also on Android.

Despite being only 5 levels it will probably be worth the $0.99 asking price.

On Steam Greenlight.

Multiplayer, Archer update:

Due to popular demand multiplayer has been added to the game. In addition to the single player campaign players can now play random generated cooperative adventures with each adventure having a specific set of goals players must achieve.
    You can either play together with your friends or play with random people from around the world.

NEW HERO: The female archer featured in the main cover will also be a character you can select when playing multiplayer with matches ranging from players 1-4. The single player campaign will continue to use 3 characters as is.

• Moraven says:

Now if they also added an campaign/scenario editor instead of randomly generated scenarios.

20. Dranadoo says:

Looks worse than the original and that came out in 89 lol.

21. Wonderboy2402 says:

Awesome. I do wish that would do a faithful vesion to the table top. But add new quests, a quest creator, new classes and more expansion. Also, this could have been awesome as a virtual table top with zoom in and out and rotate the screen… or what the tabletop become more detailed if you zoom in or become more like the boardgame when you zoomed way out.

I still have the boardgame with the witch king and kellars keep. I break it out and play with my cousins and nieces / nephews and it always blows their little minds.