Deus Excess – E.Y.E. Gets Free PVP Update

By Nathan Grayson on April 24th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

In a lot of ways, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy strikes me as the old-school conception of PC gaming in its purest, roughest form. No, it may not be particularly great in the traditional sense of the word, but it aims right past the stars and clear into the infinite beyond. The end result? A sprawling, hyper-complex co-op RPG/FPS hybrid with a crazy neon aesthetic, tomes of lore, and broken bits galore. Fortunately, while it launched some time ago, the ambitious (and paradoxically itsy bitsy) squad over at Streum are still patching, soldering, and electrostitching away, and the genetically engineered fruits of their labor are entirely free. So, in addition to, er, stability, you’ve now got two modes in which to shoot, slice, and viking leap to victory. Trailer and details on the pleasantly titled Blood Games expansion after the break.

For all the (perhaps overly) ambitious madness E.Y.E.’s campaign contains, its two new competitive modes are actually rather tame. I’m sure the game’s arsenal of stabby sticks, shootytrons, and augment warlock sorcery spice things up quite a bit, but the basic objectives will probably sound pretty familiar. Battle Royal is basically deathmatch, except with points to purchase powers. Team Artifact, on the other hand, is at least a little more intriguing:

“Team competition. In this mode, Jians confront Culters for the artifact control. To do that you need to: Take the artifact and carry it to the enemy area. If the artifact is in the enemy area, the round ends. A new one will start and players will return to their initial positions. Each team starts with an amount of resurectors. You win the round when the other team runs out of resurectors.”

So it sounds kind of like Counter-Strike, except I’m pretty sure both sides are fighting over one bomb. OK, so maybe it’s not really like Counter-Strike at all. Regardless, it goes a bit outside the box, though whether or not it compliments E.Y.E’s cybernetic jungle of interweaving systems remains to be seen.

Still though, nostrils is nostrils and free is free, and the update also includes four new co-op missions and a billowing list of fixes. And all this for a game that’s been out since 2011. I can’t honestly say exactly how much it’s improved, but you can’t knock Streum’s dedication.

, .

1. 1Life0Continues says:

On sale on Steam for $4.99 until Monday.

I’ve always been curious about this, but at the same time a little put off. Does anyone in the Hivemind have a decent recommendation/warning about the game? Is it worth it? I enjoyed Deus Ex but is EYE even in the same galaxy? I know it’s cheap, but I have a tonne of cheap games in my Steam list that turned out to be utter crap (I bought Shadow Harvest, judge away).

G-Lord says:

That’s a really tough one. While it can be confusing at times and lacks polish I still found it to be strangely absorbing. As you did enjoy Deus Ex I would say give it a try. Just be ready to be tolerant to some quirks.

• Haxavier says:

I personally would recommend EYE if you’re willing to embrace what the game is – a highly complex, rough-around-the-edges, poorly localized PvE stompfest using a variety of abilities and guns. It’s a very hardcore take on the FPSRPG dynamic. There aren’t any of those skill trees with nodes or like in Deus Ex, where you purchase mastery levels using experience points. It’s like hardcore RPGs of yore: gain xp per level, dump xp into stats which influence your usage minimums and performance.

As a result the game experience is a trickle of reward rather than ebbs and flows like you would expect from a Borderlands game. You shoot a bunch of dudes in the face and complete some crazilly-written mission involving gang infiltration and water supply poisoning, you level up, and then you poke points into stats. So now you have the minimum hacking skill to buy and use Scarabuillor drones? Cool. What do they do? I have no idea.

That’s another thing about EYE – it has a really out-there aesthetic and old-school RPG trickle-reward gameplay, and it almost NEVER holds your hand, ever. It has the most confusing story I have ever tried to understand. Part of that is because the universe it takes place in is so weird, and part of it is because the 3-4 man team that built the game are French and can’t afford a good localization team. Thankfully, fans have released a total overhaul of the UI and flavor text localization so that it’s very clear in English. I also HIGHLY recommend going over the EYE wiki as you play, as it explains a LOT.

I must admit though, the weirdness, occasional bugs, and rough edges really start to grow on you after a while. I keep the old localization just because it’s so bizzare I find it amusing (“You gain brouzoufs!”). So I guess at the end of the day I can say this: if PvE co-op using FPS mechanics but with a slow-burn RPG model sounds interesting to you at all, go ahead and buy it. $5 is also a steal considering the extremely sandbox gameplay model and the number of maps it comes with. You may be disappointed or put off by how weird it is, but who knows, you too may learn the allure of Brouzoufs.

• BlackAlpha says:

Here’s the link to the English overhaul mod. It’s on the old Steam forum (EYE devs don’t seem to have any official forum), so not many people know about it:

No idea if it still works with the new patches and such, though. I really hope it does, took freaking forever to finish that mod.

• theRayDog says:

I spent a lot of time playing the game when it first came out and I’d say your review is pretty spot on. If you know what you’re getting into, there is a lot to love in this game.

• calibypolege says:

Blake. if you think Martin`s c0mment is amazing, I just purchased Citroën 2CV after I been earnin $4172 this last month and in excess of 10 grand this past munth. it’s by-far my favourite work I have ever done. I began this eight months/ago and pretty much straight away began to earn at least $70, per-hr. I use this great link wow65.com
        (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

• Geen says:

The plot is crazy, and that’s the whole damn point. By the end, I wasn’t sure if my character was himself, god, or the dude he just killed. Then, I just decided to stop worrying and love the Brozouf. The game is fucking awesome.

FunnyB says:

E.Y.E is really an odd game. You should definitely be aware that most missions pretty much have “horde-mode” activated, with an endless spawning of enemies. But the shooting is meaty and feels well done. The backstory is intriguing but extremely hard to follow with aliens appearing and disappearing and weird wolf-spirits representing…. something… And this cult is based on that cult but they’re both the same but not really and so on and so on….

Stealth is pretty much impossible, and there are a multitude of skills, powers, attributes and such, but no explanation of what anything does, or why you should use it. You can hack people, but I seldom found the time to do that without someone shoving a shotgun in my face while doing it.

In closing, it’s really…. special… Just be aware of this before buying it.

• Fenixp says:

Now the game actually allows you to reduce the reinforcements via game options which helps a lot, also there’s a ‘Limit reinforcements’ checkbox as of the latest patch which does … A thing.

Also, in AI options, you can choose ‘Stealth’ preset, which actually makes stealth to be a viable playstyle approach. Kind of.

… what do you want, some definite information on EYE!?

FunnyB says:

Yeah, I noticed the reinforcements button, and limiting that was pretty much necessary, but the gameplay still remains a lot like horde-mode or an arena game.

Did not know about the stealth switch though.

Believe me when I say, I don’t think this is a bad game, only a very different one. :D

phlebas says:

Don’t expect it to be Deus Ex. But it’s massive, oblique to the point of incoherence, overambitious, overcomplicated and basically mad and I love it a bit. Go on, give it a try.
      (stealth being impossible seems to have been many people’s experience. It wasn’t mine. Stealth was bloody hard and involved a lot of running away. Finding a good hiding place within wifi range to hack nearby enemies felt good, especially if you could hack a sniper.)

• sinister agent says:

I agree with the above personages, and have written about it in a bit more detail here. The short version is that it’s one of those interesting games, mainly because it’s so absurdly ambitious, but also confusing, poorly explained (and seems badly written to boot), and broken all over the place. Its influences are clear but it is also utterly unique… and it’s bloody fun a lot of the time. If you can tolerate its flaws, it’s one of the most memorable games you’ll ever play.

strangeloup says:

I was just going to link to your post about it :)

I really like E.Y.E. because it reminds me of utterly mental, flawed-but-still-wonderful games from the late 80s/early 90s like KULT: The Temple of Flying Saucers (aka Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess) and Captain Blood.

E.Y.E. is very much in the same vein of characteristically French sci-fi deep weirdness, and I really wish there was more out there like it.

(Edit: I’ve just realised this is kind of the same reason I like Fahrenheit and The Nomad Soul. Flawed games, but wonderfully mad — the latter more than the former, as Cage seems, unfortunately, to be moving somewhat towards realism in favour of strangeness.)

• Arach says:

EYE: Bovine Hyperdancey…

I think I like you.

• Low Life says:

I’ve had the game sitting on my Steam account for a couple of years now, and I finally spent about an hour with the game today . Sadly I don’t think I am able to tolerate its flaws, but I still appreciate for what it’s trying to be (and what it is), so I don’t feel bad for paying for it.

• 1Life0Continues says:

Okay. My curiousity has been suitably piqued, so I gave in an bought it.

At the very least, I can say I supported a unique title (albeit late). I wonder if the game has been a learning experience for the developers and we’ll see something much more polished coming from them in future?

Anyway. Now to wait for the download and see how far I get into the game before I lose my mind.

Thanks all.

2. Lord_Mordja says:

I disagree with the assessment that it’s “not be particularly great.” I enjoyed EYE much more than Deus EX: HR (which I did like as well) despite, or perhaps because of how completely mental it is.

Plus it has the best gunplay I’ve seen in any Source game.

Petethegoat says:

Seconding the gunplay comment. It’s probably a toss up between EYE and No More Room in Hell, which also has excellent feeling guns.

3. kud13 says:

ooh, perfect timing. I finish finals tomorrow!

E.Y.E. is super fun. Its RPG elements (aside from character progression’/builds) are quite superfluous, and it’s story is a mess, though there is a mod that fixes the dialogues, while maintaining the quirky French feel, supposedly, (haven’t tried it yet)

What the game is though, is FUN, with a capital F. It’s the ultimate dystopian cyberpunk power fantasy. Gunplay is great, the starter dual-wield pistols are perhaps the most satisfying weapon ever fired in a Source game, and since you always have a sword, you can actually carry a sword and a gun at once. Shoot people, then chop them to bits with a power sword. Oh, and same sword can block bullets (until you are out of stamina)

on top of this weapon-y goodness, it has one of the best, most tense hacking systems ever made in a game–it’s a full on game unto itself, and it’s in real-time so at any point one of the many enemies can walk up on you hacking and blow your head off, which makes it tense. Not to mention failure means YOU get hacked

Then there are the psi powers. and tech augments (different types of scans, super-jump, cloak, nothing groundbreaking, but it works). And the layers of aug upgrades/stats that all blend together into a crazy, needlessly complicated, but beautiful system. Think Arcanum, but 1.5 times more complex than all those stats. If you stick with it, you can become a one-man army in so many diffrent ways. This is a game where you can jump as high as helicopter gunship and DESTROY IT WITH A SWORD. OR A WARHAMMER. you can kill things with a medkit, ffs!

So yeah, as you may be able to see, I really like E.Y.E, it’s my go-to game when I just want to mess around in-game, and the aesthetics on some levels are breathtaking (New Eden… Electric Sheep). I bought the game full-price on release day, and even though in some ways it was horribly broken, I don’t regret my decision. I want more devs reaching for such insane ambitious heights.

• Fenixp says:

Or you can use cloack (your typical invisibility thingy), drain enemies which tunnels their energy into you so if you do so often enough, you will never become visible, and remotely hack their cyberbrains to possess them or just explode them.

If you’re worried, you can place a few deployable turrets around you.

Seriously, which other game allows you to do that!?

• Unruly says:

I found the hacking to be extremely easy, to be honest. Basically every hacking encounter went like this – AI decreases my defense to be lower than their attack, so I decrease their attack. Eventually their attack hits 0, so I then start pumping my attack and hit them with an ocassional attack-decrease when they try to rebuild. Once my attack is higher than their defense, I hit them and win. The only real difficulty was when the AI had a faster cooldown than mine. Eventually it made me extremely mad because it seemed like my cooldown capped out while the AI was still able to be faster than me, which seemed to make some things unhackable.

It actually reminded me of the hacking in the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun, and it was just about as simple. But I had tried to build myself solely for hacking and drones. When I couldn’t hack the gunship I went and found what was basically an XP cheat map to max out everything. I had my skills relating to hacking as high as they would go and still couldn’t hack some things, which I felt was wrong. I could hack a Deus Ex at that point, but I still couldn’t hack a gunship. And it didn’t matter if I shot the gunship down, because a new one would just spawn as soon as I turned around.

I did like hacking all the different soldiers and making them follow me around as a personal army though. Even if they were half-retarded. The game as a whole just wasn’t my cup of tea though. I might give it another shot eventually, but I’ll probably have to use the fan-made localization so I can better understand just what the hell is going on. A lot of times it was just a case of guessing what I was supposed to do rather than actually knowing anything.

4. Haxavier says:

BROUZOUFWAR

• Gnoupi says:

You gain brouzoufs.
      You gain brouzoufs.
      You gain brouzoufs.

• 1Life0Continues says:

Waiting for fan-mod: EYE: Divine Ponymancy — “You gain bro-hoofs”

Ugh, I feel dirty just saying that.

• Haxavier says:

The funny thing is, the game’s files are so open you can literally open a .cfg file and change dialogue lines. That’s how one guy made a total overhaul of EYE’s English localization.

I was very sad, however, when he replaced “You gain brouzoufs.” with “Kill confirmed.” So bland.

• Scumbag says:

You killed a Junkie

• Geen says:

Legs are broken.
        My legs are ok!
        Legs are broken.
        My legs are ok!

5. SkittleDiddler says:

I was hoping for some significant gameplay improvements, or maybe some desperately-needed bug fixes. Or perhaps a rewriting of the nonsensical campaign storyline. I suppose it’s a good sign that Streum On are still paying attention to the game, but PvP modes? That’s weak sauce, fellahs.

• Fenixp says:

They did introduce much needed bugfixes. You can finally attack with a sword right after blocking. 2013, year when swords became more viable in EYE!

6. Jim Rossignol says:

E.Y.E. is cheerfully insane. I don’t think it can really be described as a good game in any normal sense, but it’s so full of stuff, and so weird, that it’s worth toying with.

RedViv says:

Precisely. What it lacks in quality, it more than makes up for in terms of creative madness.

7. Zaftrum189 says:

There’s an amazing level of depth to E.Y.E., so much so that it’s hard to compare it to other games, but arguably it has some of the worst gameplay of anything I’ve ever played …or atleast it did the last time I played it, which was around release.

I guess I should give it another try.

• Fenixp says:

Why? I mean, the gunplay is really good, it was since the release. The core FPS mechanics are just really, really solid, and if you want, you can more or less ignore the RPG bits and just shoot stuff, which should give it a solid gameplay base at any rate. Or maybe I’m just really weird in what I consider ‘good gunplay’.

• Arach says:

You´re not wrong,the gunplay was definitely good

• MarcP says:

Admittedly, I gave up on the game about two hours in, but reading the gunplay praises make me wonder if my version wasn’t replaced by some other game entirely.

My own experience: walking in giant-sized environments, more often than not literal corridors. Sometimes, a few enemies pop up and run in a straight line to me, shooting hitscan stuff. I shoot them with my own hitscan stuff. They die.

And then my leg breaks. My leg always breaks.

• Arach says:

It depends on the difficulty setting and the enemy respawn level,on the highest settings(for both) there were so many guys it was ridiculous,so I ended up decreasing it,plenty of shooting to be had though.

But I agree regarding the environments,some of them were really large with lots of actual corridors to them,yet somehow I really liked the level design because it was different than most games,I don´t know,I really liked the overall feel of it.

The Temple HQ though? Yeah,don´t get me started on that,biggest love/hate relationship ever…

• Fenixp says:

Arach: Well I do believe that the highest difficulty settings were meant for coop play – it’s quite a different game when you have someone covering your ass.

• MarcP says:

Arach: I didn’t mean to complain about the enemy count specifically. Rather, , the gunplay seemed brainless to me (as much as I hate the word applied to shooters I like and I feel have deep underlying mechanics). From what I can recall, the few enemy types I met all seemed to use hitscan weapons or melee attacks, and the few layouts I’ve been in were for the most part horizontal, with very long straight lines and angles, so there wasn’t much thought beyond point and shoot, and eventually duck for cover behind a corner as needed, and maybe lean and shoot.

Perhaps this perception was caused by picking the wrong difficulty level, perhaps increased challenge would have forced me into more tactical play. At the time, I mistakingly assumed difficulty settings would be standard “enemies have more HP and hit harder” modern tripe and didn’t bother with it.

Really, the game got me so confused overall (I didn’t even understand the inventory, so I basically stuck with my first gun) I’m probably being more negative about every aspect of it than it deserves. I can agree the environments had an eerie, unique feel to it. It just seemed like it was twice as big as it should have been for running around not to be a tedious affair (but this being a cyberpunk RPG, perhaps you can get faster running speed later?).

• Fenixp says:

MarcP: What you’re talking about isn’t really gunplay tho, it’s just overall enemy variety and tactical options. Now EYE is very odd in this respect – if you go ahead and play it as a straight-up shooter, I do think you’re gonna have fun on higher difficulties. However, if you grab a sword in one hand, pistol in another, pack a couple of grenades in your backpack and use the spell that telekills an enemy by teleporting you in his exact location, well… Suddenly you have both, satisfying combat and tactical approach. The problem is that the most optimal way to play the game is also most likely the least fun way to play. You really need to be willing to toy around to enjoy EYE.

8. Arach says:

I loved EYE when it came out,one of my favourite 2011 games but tbh,pvp is not really the kind of content I´d want,some new,good single player stuff however would be great to get me back into the brouzouf addiction.

It´s free though,so I might check it out,though I doubt there´s going to be anyone playing(maybe in the first couple of days),I tried a ton of times during 2012 and it was almost impossible to find any servers going,sadly.

Would be pretty cool if RPS had a EYE game night,I´d join on the action for sure. :D

9. Scumbag says:

One thing I notice most people seem to gloss over:
    Some of the best shooting mechanics and weaponry of any RPG/FPS hybrid made thus far. Something really meaty about shooting a bandit with the BK.444 and watching him do back-flips / watching his torso explode and limbs fly everywhere.

• kud13 says:

Given how many people use the words “gunplay” and “good” in the same sentence, i’d disagree that it’s being glossed over.

But, yes, gunplay is really super-fun. I’m not a shooter person by any stretch really, but seeing people flip 3 times after a headshot mid-range from a sniper rifle is sooo satisfying…

Also, dual-wielding. It rocks. And if you get swarmed, use a pistol and a sword. At once.

• Scumbag says:

In the replies here, yeah that is true. For a good while after the game was released a lot of people were just slating every element of the game. The again a lot of the people were min-maxing it for efficiency I think and just sticking with the minigun (which is stupidly overpowered), though that kills most of the fun in this.

• BlackAlpha says:

The minigun has never been the best weapon, though. I also wouldn’t call it overpowered. The high caliber weapons you need to unlock/buy are much better because they can pierce shields and armor. You need such weapons in the later levels or you will get slaughtered, especially on the higher difficulty settings.

• Scumbag says:

I agree on the minigun not being the best gun in a manner, but I don’t think there is a best gun for myself. The Sulfatum is rather powerful at the start of the game, and for the most direct route on the early levels you could just use that and pick the heavy armor for a largely straightforward plough until Mars. Dunno how people coped with that playstyle when the Interceptors and Deus Ex appeared.

• dE says:

They probably died cursing and screaming, time and time again. Which would explain the amount of rage this game gets at times. In some earlier post about this, someone literally suggested I should die for recommending it. :D

10. Dominic White says:

One thing that doesn’t seem to be mentioned much is that this big update doesn’t just add competitive multiplayer. There’s the usual suite of tweaks and improvements (balance tweaks and bugfixes, mostly) , but there’s also four more skirmish co-op maps on top of the six competitive ones.

particlese says:

While I’d say that video looks more like some sort of Crysis-flavoured Bombing Run than Counter-Strike, I also say: How the heck did I miss this game?! It looks like tons of crazy fun, and the comments here seem to back that up…

psepho says:

My EYE experience can best be summed up by the fact that I still haven’t worked out whether the start-up blurb about logging on etc is a reference to the real world or the game world.

It is crazily over-complex and incomprehensible both as a game and a narrative, but also a classic. It’s an example of the special magic you get when creators don’t realise that they have bitten off more than they can chew and plough on regardless.

There is, however, one problem that really put the brakes on for me way back when. That was the lack of a coherent and reliable save system. The missions are big and it was quite possible to lose all progress on a mission (or even be bumped back to before the mission start) because of quitting at the wrong time. Quick save, or at least regular and predictable checkpointing, would have kept me playing for several tens of hours.

• sinister agent says:

Yeah, the save system is a big hurdle, and it, like most things, fails to explain itself.

HOWEVER.

I’ll sidestep around spoilers, but say this: it doesn’t matter that you can’t ever reload an old save / quicksave, etc. It’s a game that never ends, and you just keep on going and trying again, with even death not ever stopping you (it appears to: it doesn’t), getting more powerful, trying to figure out what’s going on, however many mistakes you make. Stick with it. Even if you get killed nine time in a row and your stats are taking a kicking.

The downside is that you can’t save and bugger off you have other stuff to do, but it sort of saves your mission progress when you log out. Sort of.

13. solymer89 says:

Looks like it’s time to download this bad boy again. I do recall the joy of hacking a couple of turrets to draw attention away from my stealthy doings. That was awesome. But even better is targeting a sniper on his perch and teleporting to him, destroying him in the process, gaining his high ground advantage while picking off his friends with my own sniper rifle.

Nothing made sense when I first started playing this game. Little has revealed itself since. I didn’t like the dystopian feel of the game and it’s maps/objectives at first. Then I did a bit of grinding and unlocked some more abilities. Still don’t know what the hell is going on story/lore/purpose wise, but it is fun sniping a Deus Ex Machina from halfway across the map while controlling a hacked gun ship that would otherwise shred me to pieces.

I almost liken the feeling of this game to the first few times I played Myst. Really eerie setting coupled with the feeling of not knowing anything that is going on and being overly cautious with everything. Except in this game, there are… things… that want you dead…

…and Brouzefs to be had

14. Machinations says:

Always thought this looked interesting – this might be the catalyst that gets me to try this game.

Deus Ex: HR was underwhelming, and I think the lesser production values of EvE wont bother me if I am slaying dudes with friends.

15. Lagwolf says:

The game these people originally release was a broken, buggy mess of a game. It should never have been on Steam. I would be wary of giving them any of your money considering how they treat their customers.

16. Professor Paul1290 says:

The thing that a lot of people misunderstand about E.Y.E. is that it is NOT meant to be a Deus Ex or a System Shock 2 and it was never meant to be. It takes some inspiration from those games, but it was never supposed to actually be one of those games.
    In fact if you look at earlier interviews and info that came from the dev before the game was released, the idea that E.Y.E. was supposed to be like those games was something that was shrugged off or dismissed on more than one occasion, but the gaming public and press wanted another Deus Ex so badly that they kept interpreting it as such and I guess at some point the dev decided to just roll with it.

While there are a lot of genuine bugs and issues with E.Y.E., at the same time there are also a lot of things in E.Y.E. that, because of the above misunderstanding, a lot of people mistake for flaws and/or issues when they’re the way the game is meant to be.

I guess if for some reason you wanted to understand why E.Y.E. is the way it is, then there is an old little-known Half-Life 1 mod from the same dev called Syndicate Black Ops you’ll want to try for a bit. It’s old, clunky, and primitive compared to E.Y.E. and probably wouldn’t be that enjoyable nowadays, but after playing that it starts to make a lot more sense why E.Y.E. is the way it is.
    (Amusing side note, there’s an odd setting in some of E.Y.E.’s difficulty options called “SBO”. If you were wondering what the heck that is, see above.)

Barring that, the thing to remember is that E.Y.E. is that it is a fast paced action game first and foremost, and a lot of it’s rather complex mechanics are but means to that end.
    Essentially, it’s a game where you kill tons of enemies, and you have lots of interesting, elaborate, and fun ways to kill tons of enemies.
    Understanding that, the game starts to make a lot more sense.

A lot of people complain about stealth in E.Y.E. not being viable, but it’s mostly because they misunderstand what stealth is supposed to do in E.Y.E. Stealth can be very powerful and effective once you get the hang of it in E.Y.E., but it’s NOT for ghosting the level without killing anyone. Stealth is what you use to move quickly from cover to cover without being shot at or for getting around your enemies and attacking them from better spots.

A lot of people also complain that the game has re-spawning enemies, but if there weren’t re-spawning enemies you’d run out of enemies to kill. That might sound rather stupid but it’s true.The game is about combat, and in this case combat involves killing tons of enemies.
    In this case you have lots of interesting and elaborate ways to kill tons of enemies, but in the end you’re killing tons of enemies.

Those are just a couple examples, but I think you get the point there.

The game does have rather interesting lore and back-story to it that isn’t quite explained at first and some of the mechanics can get rather deep.
    However, at the same time it’s also a game that has pot-smoking afro bandits with monacles, magic werewolves, swords that can reflect machine gun fire, and “YOU KILLED A DUDE THAT LOOKED LIKE YOU!!!” It has some serious elements, but overall the game isn’t quite as serious as some people make it out to be.
    If you’re not slaughtering tons of enemies in crazy and elaborate ways and enjoying it then you’re doing it wrong!

• sinister agent says:

Absolutely. It’s very much a game about fighting, and stealth only works insofar as it lets you choose when and where the fights start. If you play it to be efficient, you’re a boring, boring person and will have a boring time, which you totally deserve.

You’re at the top of a stairway, right, and agents are coming to kill you. Efficient: Hide at the top and kill them as they come up. BORING. Fun: Leap off the stairway with your cyber-legs, spin around 180 degrees in mid air and drill two of them before you land. Then CHARGE.

• derbefrier says:

Okay you just talked me into giving this another go. I actually forgot I even bought it.

17. sinister agent says:

EYE Stupidname is one of the most broken, weird, badly written and poorly translated games ever.

And it’s one of the most entertaining, crazy, fun, memorable, utterly mad and ambitious games ever. I couldn’t possibly recommend it to everyone, and the people expecting it to be Deus Ex are in for a shock (though the influence of Deus Ex and about a dozen other games, novels and films is very clear). But it is very special in its own bizarre way.

That said, while I respect the devs for making the expansion free… multiplayer? Seriously? That’s just about the least interesting thing they could possibly have done.

18. Rinimand says:

It’s continued developer support like this that make me want to buy a game. I might go buy EYE just for what I read here.

19. nmarebfly says:

You have killed a corporal
    You have killed a special ops
    You have killed a general
    You have killed a corporal
    You have killed a loving father

…. wait, what?

20. kud13 says:

I hav ejust finshed Law School

Tonight, I’m getting epically drunk with a bunch of my classmates.

Guess which super-fun, largely brainless shooter i’m gonna load up tomorrow to clear hmy epic hangover?

Yes, damn straight it’ll be E.Y.E.