Stay Awhile And Listen With 40 Seeds

By Alec Meer on April 24th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Listen, we’re all angry about something. Right now I’m angry that my cat knocked over a wooden minimalist gorilla statuette I keep on my bedside table, which bashed me on the head and woke me up at 3am, leaving me feeling terrible all day. (I still love my cat, though. She can’t help being a moron). Maybe you’re angry about something more important, or less important – the important thing is that it made you angry. Put it to one side, just for a bit. Sit down, sit down, breathe the air slowly, calmly, gently through those stressed nostrils of yours, and spend awhile with 40 Seeds, a charming, ambient browswer game about wind, life, propagation and nothing.

Oh dear, I can see your face is already turning purple, and I can your mouth start to form the words ‘not… a… game…’ as your eyes bulge and the veins on your forehead throb.

Sssh, ssh, it’s okay, everything’s going to be alright. Just because someone else might call it a game doesn’t mean you have to if you don’t want to. Just… just play it. Just wave your mouse around to control the direction of the wind, press space to slow things down if you’re struggling to make the glowing seeds spread, or if you just want to see the skies turn from day to night to day more gradually, more prettily.

To what end? It doesn’t matter. None of it matters. It doesn’t have to be about anything. Not if you don’t want it to.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DrMcCoy says:

Unity3D webplayer plugin? WTF?

/This/ is apparently one of the many things that make me angry.

• Dan Puzey says:

It’s pretty common among indie games, pretty lightweight install, and makes for an easy way to distribute Unity-coded games. You could ask the authors to produce an executable version of their game if you feel strongly, though.

• DrMcCoy says:

Yeah, nice lightweight install that say it’s “not currently compatible with the operating system that [I] appear to be using”. Bravo, I say.

Flash is already a cancer on the web; Silverlight is fortunately just a bad joke. I don’t want more proprietary and unportable crap in my browser, thank you very much.

• Kitsunin says:

You can hate browser plugins as much as you like, but they get waaaaay more people to play your game. I know I feel less iffy playing on my browser than downloading game, and having to remember to either delete it or get things organized afterwards.

• Cioomperkoi says:

Not sure if trolling…

• Jeremy says:

I’m not sure that’s a reasonable place to draw a line in the sand. Plugins are fairly compact and create an instant platform for indie developers.

You can check the requirements here if you want to confirm whether your OS should be compatible or not. Maybe try installing the plugin direct from that site?

• DrMcCoy says:

I’ll give you one hint: I’m on GNU/Linux. Trying to install the plugin directly from their site won’t help jack.

• Jeremy says:

Oh, well I gave you the wrong requirements link anyway, that was for development. Unity 4 brought linux support though, so I’m still not sure why it wouldn’t work for you.

• Kitsunin says:

So…you’re telling me that them giving you a .exe would solve your problem? It seems to me that would be even LESS compatible.

• solidsquid says:

It’s possible the demo was done in pre-4.0 Unity, in which case it might require the old version of the plugin. Otherwise not sure why you can’t get the plugin working in linux

• DrMcCoy says:

Kitsunin: I never said nothing about an EXE. Ideally, I’d like the source code released under a copyleft license. Also, them not using Unity in the first place would be great too. Or portable HTML5 stuff instead.

solidsquid: AFAIK, there is no Unity webplayer running on Linux. At all

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Shit, I want a pony

• Kitsunin says:

See, I know you didn’t say .exe, I was just saying .exe because it’s basically the file type games use, nearly every time. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be nice to also have .tar (Or whatever it is, I seem to remember using .tars back when I ran linux) but it’s a lot of work, basically unfeasible depending on what you coded in, and not something you can expect everyone who makes a little project to do.

• DrMcCoy says:

tars are just archives (basically a bunch of files pasted one after the other into one file). Binaries on Linux commonly have no extension at all.

Staying portable it not that hard, at least not if you figure that in right at the start.
            And hell, I’d be still moderately happy with a code dump released under a copyleft license, even with Unity usage still in there.

• bitcrusher says:

If you bothered to check the instructions… for a linux person I would at least hoped you would of done that, there is a .tar included.

2. Dubbill says:

It’s good but it needs a leaderboard and achievements and pay2win options.

• calibypolege says:

If you think Susan`s story is cool…, last pay-cheque my cousins girlfriend also broght in $4583 putting in a seventeen hour week from there apartment and the’re best friend’s step-mother`s neighbour has done this for six months and made more than $4583 in their spare time at there computer. use the guidelines here wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

3. ClockworkTiger says:

The cat’s the moron? You’re the one who put a heavy object directly above where you lay your head while sharing the space with a member of a species known for its fascination with watching stuff fall.

4. Pippy says:

Somebody should make a game where you are Alec’s cat knocking things onto his sleeping head.

5. Ultra Superior says:

You can my mouth start !!!!!

6. Kitsunin says:

Uhhh…trying to play anything in Unity seems to be crashing my flash player, and creating a frozen window which can only be force-quit. Weird.

7. NothingFunny says:

Whoa, you seem to be really annoyed that people want proper gameplay from their games.
    Should we (and that includes you as well) stop to criticize the games that fail to deliver decent gameplay mechanics, be it an AAA movie-wannabe with QTEs or a humble indie that has nothing but some basic controls? Should we now be content with no-challenge creations that have about as much interactivity as a videoplayer(it has more interactivity than QTEs or Dear Esther btw) ?
    And “game” is rather vague word for sure, but there are other words like “toy”, “presentation”, “visual novel”, “video”, “multimedia art” “engine demo”. And some people seem to confuse those for games.
    Do you call a website with badly designed interface a “point-click adventure game”?
    Next week on RPS “Wot I Think: Youtube redesign”

Btw this thing ‘failed to launch Unity player’, freshly updated, tried in 2 browsers. So I cant call it a non-game, too bad.

• Dominic White says:

You seem to be That Guy that he mentioned in the article. You know, the one with the throbbing veins and the irresistable urge to become completely insufferable whenever someone mentions something that might not be a ‘proper game’.

You should probably relax.

• Kitsunin says:

Here we consider something used via computer, created for the purpose of entertainment (And occasionally education), using a medium alternative to (Purely) video, audio, or book, a game. This is because those projects which aren’t created to be ‘games’ in the traditional sense still deserve to be reported on. There are a small enough amount of them that you can ignore them if you aren’t such a big fan, like you might ignore Shooters if you weren’t into those.

So chill.

• RaveTurned says:

Read what was written. You might want to pay particular attention to the line:

“Just because someone else might call it a game doesn’t mean you have to if you don’t want to.”

8. communisthamster says:

I like games with this kind of [usually pixelly] simulated growth. See also: dan-ball jp’s Powder Game.

Kinda makes me want one that’s not just a browser flash toy, but I guess there’s no market for that.

9. kinzybw says:

Wow I am blown away with this.
    Uh, sorry about the Unity WebPlayer incompatibilities!

I have a Google version?

also a Linux Version! (Hopefully it works)

10. eruvalar says:

Hm. Really wanted to try this.
    Sadly, Unity Web Player completely crashes Chrome; even independent tabs. When trying to reinstall, even the download page of said player crashes. The only way I can load those sites is with the plugin deactivated, which kind of defeats the purpose. The reinstall changed nothing. :-(

11. AngloFile says:

Is this in any way related to the team that made Proteus? The art style and music seem very similar.

Comment on this story