Brock And Fold: Poker Night 2

By Adam Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Here’s a trailer for Telltale’s Poker Night 2, which has been loaded into the release cannon and launches today. I still hadn’t processed the fact that the announcement wasn’t an Early April Lie so this is the first time I’ve properly acknowledged its existence. The inclusion of Brock Samson is most pleasing, although it has mostly led me to crave a H.Jon Benjamin character. Archer vs Brock would be great no matter what the context. Heck, I’d gladly take John McGuirk. Claptrap’s voice is like a cheese grater ravaging my ears but Sam is soothing and dry, so perhaps they’ll counter each other. But Ash could be the real disappointment. Look and listen.

Without Campbell’s voice, Ash is about as much use to me as a Thermos flask made out of digestive biscuits. Or, indeed, as much use as an Evil Dead film without Ash. Not that I’ve actually seen the new one yet but is it really time reconstruct a cabin in the woods already?

Here’s some McGuirk.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dr I am a Doctor says:

The new Evil Dead absolutely rules and go watch it right now

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Okay!

Wait, how do I know I can trust you? Are you really a doctor?

• Gnoupi says:

Well, it says so on the calling card.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

I got my medical degree at a real doctor school

• colossalstrikepackage says:

So it was a doctored doctorate?

• DrScuttles says:

As another person claiming to be a doctor, my opinion is probably backed up by Science. I would have to disagree with Dr I am a Doctor; Evil Dead doesn’t rule. It is however a technically efficient if ultimately forgettable film lacking in the charm and cheapness that makes the original a classic.
            It’s worth watching, it’s just sadly not great.

• Gap Gen says:

Wait, Real Doctor School? No way! Do you know my friend Doctor Doctorson? He’s a really real doctor too. He has a big white coat with extra long sleeves so he can tie them around his waist when he’s tired of holding his arms out and everything.

• The Random One says:

I like how no one dares to question Lord Custard
        Smingleigh’s lordship.

2. Rikard Peterson says:

The previous trailer got comments saying that they’d picked the wrong one from Sam & Max, but as this one places Max as Sam’s sidekick instead of a player, I think they made the right decision there.

Don’t know about anything else, though.

• Gwilym says:

Absolutely; it just seems intuitively true that Max would not manage to play an entire game of poker. It’d be insane to have him anything other than an offsider

• thegooseking says:

Except he was a player in the first game.

Not that that makes what you’re saying untrue; just that you should probably say “it was insane” rather than “it’d be insane”.

• Dominic White says:

Max played poker pretty much how you’d expect. Betting completely at random, going all-in on cards he doesn’t even understand, and generally acting like an ADD-riddled rabbity thing. He’d either bet himself out of the game in the first couple of hands, or somehow last until the end on pure dumb luck.

3. MeestaNob says:

I just don’t understand why Ash is even in this without Bruce Campbell being involved.

Hopefully if they are going to start including Cartoon Network characters they get Stephen Colbert to do Ken Sebben, I’d buy that one.

And Sam’s voice is (still) terrible compared with the one back in Hit the Road.

• RedViv says:

On the note of Colbert: Why is there no Tek Jansen game yet? Seems like a solid foundation.

• Nick says:

Totally, you can’t have a character as iconic as Ash and then have the worst fucking impression of him ever as the voice actor, its just shitty.

• thelongshot says:

Colbert stopped doing Phil Ken Sebben soon after starting the Colbert Report. I know it wasn’t him doing the voice in the video game, and I think he was replaced late in the TV show run. So, I don’t think it is likely you’ll see Colbert doing it any time soon.

4. Screwie says:

Coach McGuirk! Of course RPS would be acquainted with such a fantastic and forgotten show. :)

For a video gaming alternative, I honestly think Duke Nukem would be amazing in this kind of role.

• manveruppd says:

Is Duke actually capable of conversation though? I’ve only ever heard him spout catchphrases, never dialogue.
      (Could he be suffering from some strange neurological disorder that forces him to conversion using action movie-esque catchphrases? Is all his killing of aliens also a symptom of the disorder, or merely his attempt to steal their technology and develop a cure? Does this make him the unlikeliest disability advocate ever? WHATATWIST!)

• grundus says:

I can’t hear you, my hovercraft is too loud.

5. thegooseking says:

It’s funny that I was thinking of buying this, but now Adam has made me sad that Sterling Archer is not in it and my enthusiasm has waned.

6. Gap Gen says:

There needs to be a proper Brock Samson game, one where you have to knife everything. If you’re not disembowelling a minion every second, it’s not a real Brock Samson game.

• Fenixp says:

Click on Shank icon on your desktop and rename it to Brock Samson Game. Done.

• Fomorian1988 says:

The best idea would be to base a game on that dream sequence from season 1, from the machine Doc Venture built that made your greatest desires come. The audacious awesomness and awesome audacity of Brock’s desires would make a wonderful game.

7. Delusibeta says:

Thanks to the magic of the Steam Community Market and people who really want to pay money for hats, I’ve pre-ordered this, because a) I enjoyed the first one, b) it looks like more of the same and c) it’s not my money I’m spending, and I can’t buy food with Steam Credit.

8. manveruppd says:

The mere suggestion of Archer vs Brock in a game of poker was enough to blow my mind so hard I’m currently scraping it off the walls! Telltale missed a trick there!
    (Archer woul;dn’t stand a chance btw)

• Underwhelmed says:

Yeah no kidding. Now that it has been said, I keep imagining the exchanges in my head, I will probably like this game a lot less because of that.

The real surprise here though, is that anyone remembers Home Movies. I thought I was pretty much the last person on Earth that still remembered that show.

9. bantamsam says:

I am sincerely hoping that there is a Kronk mod for Brock Samson, because that is all I can hear when I hear Patrick Warburton’s voice.

10. strangeloup says:

Despite a somewhat less desireable cast of characters than the first (though I’d say Claptrap and Tycho are roughly at the same point on the punchability scale) I’m still tempted to pick this up, because a) cheap, and b) hats.

11. maninahat says:

Shame about Claptrap – I’d have gone with one of the dozens of more likeable Borderland’s characters. Hell, Tiny Tina would have been more tolerable.

This game could do with more than four, to give a hand to each.

12. Mbaya says:

I know I have terrible taste, but I can’t be the only person in the world that actually likes Claptrap, can I? :’(

13. The Random One says:

So, RPS, what would be your perfect roster? Mine would be Karkat, Othar Thrygvassen GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER, Peter Molydeux and Lord Custard Smingleigh.

Comment on this story