Rash Decisions: Ride To Hell – Route 666

By Adam Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Apart from a recent trailer for Ride to Hell: Redemption that failed to put the ‘grin’ in grindhouse, I hadn’t seen any information at all about the Ride To Hell games, so imagine my surprise when downloadable spin-off title Route 666 turned out to be a real-time game of tactical motorbike combat. I didn’t even know motorbikes were capable of such things. As they travel down the highways and byways, the gangs of Route 666 arrange themselves, almost like tiny thundering fleets, so as best to counter the attacks of rival gangs. The formations can be switched to use each class to the best of their ability, protecting medics (apparently ‘sultry’) with burly chain-wielding brutes riding the chunkiest hogs in the land. That sort of thing.

Route 666 doesn’t look like a great road, but there have been some fine ones in games over the years. Interstate 76, for instance – although I’m not sure that was ever actually a road. The one that Gordon Freeman drove his buggy down, along the coast, ending with that big ol’ bridge? That was a good one.

I’ll take the M62 any day of the week.

, , .

1. staberas says:

Inevitable Full Throttle comments in 3 2 1 …

RedViv says:

Given that this would also be counting as a Full Throttle comment, the countdown was to the point where you clicked the Opinion, Away! button, right?
      Well done.

• hudson82 says:

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job Ive had. Last Monday I got a new Alfa Romeo from bringing in $7778. I started this 9 months ago and practically straight away started making more than $83 per hour. I work through this link, mojo50.com

• Michael Fogg says:

Does it have horrible arcade sequences?

2. Guvornator says:

OK that’s clearly a Trucking song and therefore should not be within 500 metres of a motorbiking story on principle. Try something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgxbCnqCyKA (FOLK ROCK WARNING: should you be allergic to older white men in berets play acoustic instruments whilst pulling faces that suggest some form of gastric distress, song characters with names like “Red Molly”, the ’60s or the phrase “fiddle-dee-dee” DO NOT CLICK ON LINK)

• frightlever says:

Huh? There used to be, maybe still are, plenty of truck stops exclusively for bikers and truckers. Probably because of a shared love of speed and meth.

Also, while the Vincent is a thing of beauty it was typically ridden by gentlemen in tweeds, rather than leathers.

3. Taidan says:

Really unfortunate final line there, considering this happened earlier today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-22305575

RedViv says:

The F2P version offers all the features, but only the M25 scenario. P2Unlock.

• The Random One says:

I remeber when that used to be called a demo. Nowadays, oh the stigma!

5. Pryde says:

WOW. Those girls on the bikes are portrayed in a really insulting and objectivating way. Jeez.

• Christo4 says:

Yeah i demand they put muscly, fully clothed women riding bikes and skinny men only in their boxers instead of those hot girls.

• trout says:

safety firsty! fully clothed makes sense on a basic level, given that if you ever crashed, you’d be torn to ribbons otherwise.

• MacTheGeek says:

Maybe they’re just priming the pump for the bloody decapitated “Extreme Road Rash” figurines that will accompany the inevitable expansion.

• The Random One says:

Every time someone replies to someone making a point about sexism by describing an elaborate scenario in which roles are dumbly inverted or equalized, I imagine that scenario and unerringly think to myself “Yes. That is a thing I would like to see.”

6. Fenix says:

From the screenshots it looks quite like Borderlands.

7. frightlever says:

So this is a tactical outlaw MC management sim? Where do I pre-order?

Anyone remember Roadwars 2000? I loved that game. DON’T go look it up, it is not the way you remember it.

• drvoke says:

Don’t need to look it up, my memories of playing it are fond and include last week booting it up in WinUAE and having a short, fun game. Its worth noting that the Amiga version is really the best version to play. The only bad thing is that the abstracted combat is better than the actual turn based combat. Meaning you actually have a chance to win with the abstracted combat. Would like a similar game with functional/balanced turn based tactical combat.

8. Jerppa says:

Hmm…I’m drunk, but looks interesting.

9. PopeRatzo says:

Sultry….mmmm.

10. Geewhizbatman says:

I would buy this if they made a total gender swap option. If I could portray the epic road battles of “The Hefty Helgas” and their plucky, scantily clad boy toys I would be one happy monkey.