Limit Theory Prototype Shows Space RTS Awesome

By Jim Rossignol on April 29th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

You know how you are always wishing that there were more space-based RTS games? Well, there’s at least one happening thanks to the Kickstarters, and its backers will no doubt it abundantly pleased that the game now has a playable prototype. It’s looking particularly fancy, given that it’s basically the work of one man, and that man – who I previously spoke to here – has put out a tutorial video for his prototype-users. This video conveniently acts as twenty minutes of gameplay footage for everyone else, and you can see it below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. RedViv says:

A wonderful sight. Both the game, and fact that those who did not back with at least 75 units of United States currency do also get to see something official.

2. AshEnke says:

(Speaking of space strategy, is there going to be a Wot I think of StarDrive ?)

3. soulblur says:

[Indeed, a Wot I Think on Stardrive would be excellent. I need to know more of those loveable, murderous SpaceBears]

4. SuicideKing says:

Nice! He’s taken stuff i liked about FreeSpace 2 and taken them a step further, not to mention all the customization and other new and original stuff he’s come up with.

Wonder what’ll happen to joystick support? No way in hell am i playing with a mouse, aim assist or not.

5. Claidheamh says:

I always thought this was more of an Elite type of thing, and not really a space-based RTS. Well, it looks very appealing either way.

6. Lt. Leslie says:

Looks nice but why do 90% of all space games take place in or close to some shiny nebula?

• Brun says:

I would guess that it is to contrast the ships with the background so that you are better able to determine what’s going on.

• Prime says:

I commented the same several months ago on another forum – I prefer my Space to look like our night sky (for those lucky rural-ites that can still see it), not like an explosion in Wonka’s paint factory.

Josh Parnell himself replied that the final game will be much more balanced in those terms and you’ll even have an option in settings to determine how foggy a system is; he’s just a huge fan of foggy, glowy star systems (check out his Thesis entry – it’s a beaut) so that’s what he’s working within during development.

Besides, they make for arguably prettier screenshots, perfect for promotional purposes.

• SuicideKing says:

Descent: FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2 had both, open space and nebulae.

Of course, there were a lot of them as background bitmaps but then that was just to make it look pretty (hint: they succeeded).

7. Triplanetary says:

The RTS bit is the only part that looks compelling. If it’s not the primary focus (and it only shows up in the last three minutes of the video, so it’s hard to be sure), I can’t imagine why I’d bother.

• Moe says:

“RTS”

• Muzman says:

Call me hyperbolic, but people who don’t want to fly around in their own pew pew space fighters and only want to be god/general/spreadsheet operators have no souls.

• Moe says:

I’m not saying I don’t like the game – in fact I think it’s looking very promising, I just think we should label it properly. It’s a First-person, RPG, Space-sim surely?

• Muzman says:

Oh not you, the other guy. But yeah, it’s not an RTS, it’s a space combat and exploration game with fleets.

• Rich says:

So it’s basically an X clone.

Not there’s anything wrong with that. I’d just prefer either a Homeworld or a single-player EVE.

• Muzman says:

Eh, could be. Depends on how the content creation works I guess (it’s supposed to be like a contemporary Elite, with fleets). Anyway, wouldn’t a single player Eve be an X clone, give or take?

• Rich says:

I’ve heard people say X3 is like a single-player EVE online, which is why I bought it. However, I was expecting to be just pointing and clicking where I wanted my ship to go, rather than piloting it myself or sifting through endless menus.

Mind you, I am looking forward to X4, which claims to be more accessible.

• cptgone says:

do drones have souls then?
        what do they dream of, electric bees?

• Muzman says:

Queens, dear. Queens (let’s all imagine every permutation of Electric Queens now shall we. I got a warmup act from Headvig and the Angry Inch or something similar)

• P.Funk says:

There are so many games that let you pew pew in your own ship, new and old. Very few let you be Rommel in space.

Forgive those of us who want a space RTS, but we don’t get many of them.

8. daphne says:

Said it then, still preaching now: This guy is a genius, and this is — IMO — the most promising Kickstarter project on the internets right now. Provided he stays in good health, I’m sure we’ll be hearing more of this fellow in the future. It really doesn’t matter if he succeeds or fails any longer, because he’s got the perseverance down pat.

Also posts daily development logs, unlike everyone else.

• Moe says:

To be fair the good people at UBER post regular dev blogs on the Planetary Annihilation Forums and they’ve released a development engine for the community to play with. Plus Jim regularly updates the Sir, You Are Being Hunted backers on his blog and on Kickstarter. I’d say both these projects (and many others) are incredibly promising, keeping to their deadlines and keeping supporters abreast of developments.

• Muzman says:

Indeed. He churns out remarkable stuff at amazing speed like it ain’t no thing. (plus I can look at it for more than ten minutes at a time unlike Love, to compare to another indie madman)

• Moe says:

Love is insanely deep though – it boggles my mind that one person (ONE!) can create such a massive and content rich world – and then release it for free.

• Thurgret says:

Genius indeed. That’s rather an impressive prototype right there. Is there any way to back the thing now, despite the Kickstarter being over?

9. Lawful Evil says:

I am not quite familiar with the game, but if this is at least partially RTS, then…

IT PROPERLY USES ALL THREE DIMENSIONS, UNLIKE ANY OTHER SPACE RTS OUT THERE (except Homeworlds of course). I thought I would never come to see such miraculous achievement (no sarcasm) again, after Homeworld 2. Amazing!

• cptgone says:

our brains aren’t made for 3D. if god had wanted us to play in 3D, he wouldn’t have made the Earth flat.

• Lanfranc says:

“He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking.”

• P.Funk says:

Silly logic. It comes down to the two styles of distraction and entertainment people tend towards.

1. Pure distraction. No real challenge. Fits inside a comfort zone in order to satisfy some need for relaxation or distraction from what ails you.

2. Challenge based recreation. For people who thrive on challenge and like to push themselves to learn. Gaming, or reading, or doing anything tends to focus on things which are new and explore unfamiliar skill sets.

#1 can’t think 3D because they convinced themselves it isn’t possible or isn’t fun. #2 already understands 3D because he’s played IL2 online, War Thunder, Homeworld, KSP, or any other number of games that deal with it.

People love fighter pilots, then say we can’t think in 3d. Strange.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident* says “hi”. By strange coincidence I had just “Why aren’t you playing”-ed it this morning.

Actually it probably says “RAUGHAAAR SON OF ROGHAAAR THE SLAYER OF VARDRAGS SAYS CRUSH THIS HU-MON FOR THE GLORY OF SHAGLOK!”

• Rich says:

Nexus has horrible 3D navigation. Homeworld is probably the only game to do it right.

• P.Funk says:

Actually Homeworld had an arbitrary horizon people could use as a crutch. Most resources were also locked into these plains in most cases with a few outliers. In the end it hinted at 3D, but gave out enough crutches that it was hardly more than 2.5D.

True 3D space involves no such thing as arbitrary up or down.

If you really understand zero G combat, then you really understood why Ender said “The enemy’s gate is down!”.

10. kud13 says:

Wow, how did I miss this KS?

The control scheme for flight mode sounds just like Freelancer (a good thing), the power distrubution stuff reminds me of an old shareware game called “Solar Winds” that I played to death, AND it has RTS bits on top? With proper 3D space?

My money. Please, take it.

11. Paul Bryant says:

So those that missed the kickstarter are SOL for getting an early taste of this game?

12. Yargh says:

Looks very nice.

I’m somewhat surprised that no one here has thought to compare this to the X series of space sims. While they are much more complex than this (in its current condition) the similarities are plain to see.

13. neonordnance says:

A wonderfully run kickstarter (by a genuine, likable bedroom programmer), a fresh take on a proven concept, fantastic graphics, and steady (and playable!) updates.

Limit Theory should be an example to anyone contemplating Kickstarter. Bravo. I will certainly pick this up on release.

Comment on this story