Merc With A Release Date: Deadpool

By Adam Smith on April 29th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

The last time we mentioned the Deadpool game, we weren’t even sure that it was going to come out on anything other than soon-to-be previous generation consoles, but the recent announcement of a release date also confirmed a PC release. The game is out on June 25th or 28th – the exact time you can play it is dependent on your geographic position. Deadpool can saunter across the fourth wall with ease but it takes him ages to cross an ocean. He’s probably riding an inflatable rubber duck and using his own severed arm as an oar. It’s a third-person action game and I’ve popped a couple of videos below, one of which is a ‘gameplay trailer’, except it isn’t, because haHAHAHAHHA.

I’ve enjoyed comic Deadpool in the past but I do worry that the game might end up more Duke Nukem Forever than destructive superhero deconstruction. Daniel Way is on writing duties though – I haven’t read his Deadpool work. Any fans?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. TheDoctr says:

Being a old Deadpool fan Daniel Way’s Deadpool Writing is really weak. i turned him from a Truly Messed up Psychopathic that we know and love into LOLIMSORANDOM. That may have got Deadpool the huge following hes gotten recently but i personally am not a fan.
    Not looking forward to Waypool the game.

• InternetBatman says:

I stopped following at the end of Cable / Deadppool. It began really well, but the end was a mess. But yeah, this definitely wasn’t Gail Simone.

• deathchuckles says:

TheDoctr is 100% right. DP comics of late, and this game apparently, rely too much on fourth-wall breaking and random humor. Diehard fans will tell you that those things are the garnish to the character, and diehard chefs will probably tell you not to eat plates of garnish.

• Kaira- says:

Yeah, not a big fan of Waypool either.

• blackmyron says:

I didn’t get that at all – in fact, the last run of Deadpool could be rather bleak. I mean, there’s that whole bit where Deadpool finds out someone apparently can kill him so he concocts a rather complicated scheme to make it happen. There’s the insane doctor who was collecting former pieces of Deadpool. And then the end…
      “What’s going on inside that head of yours? Let’s find out.”
      Yeah, a regular laugh-a-minute…

2. Wednesday says:

I was in Waterstones with my little boy the other day and made the mistake of thumbing “Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe”.

Perhaps I’m just getting sentimental in my old age, but I thought it was disgusting.

3. Lagwolf says:

Deadpool in Marvel Universe Online (currently in beta) is the best one to play if you want to be self-sufficient.

4. mattevansc3 says:

Saw the trailer and the interview over on Eurogamer and the interview was worse than the trailer. It seriously sounds like their idea of Deadpool is Wolverine with Stifler’s personality

5. ZIGS says:

They’re trying wayyy too hard

6. Radiant says:

I know the default position is to turn your nose up at this but I do really want to shoot some dudes and this had at least 3 good jokes in it.

7. RedViv says:

Any non crappy Wolverine film, or non-character Liefeld incarnation, Deadpool is fine with me.
    I have low standards.
    And my kitchen looks similar on a Friday.

(Maybe I can step up a single digit on the brow ladder if I say that it’s crêpes and not pancakes, buuuut…)

8. JiminyJickers says:

I have heard of Deadpool, but have never seen anything about him until now. I feel a little bit dirty saying this, but I like the Ryan Reynolds version of him better from the Wolverine movie, shudder.

• skorpeyon says:

It’s alright. Ryan Reynolds actually IS the perfect actor for Deadpool. They just screwed up his character origin VERY badly. The elevator scene in that movie, however, is dead-on Deadpool personality and even his voice works great for it.

Deadpool even once compared himself to Ryan Reynolds (personality) crossed with a shar-pei (appearance) so when Reynolds was cast as Wade Wilson I laughed my ass off.

• HadToLogin says:

You sure he didn’t said that only because Ryan already was on-board, so they just made another 4wall joke to get people accept that decision?

9. Discopanda says:

Considering they laid off the majority of the development studio after the game was completed, I have low hopes for this game.

10. TheBarringGaffner says:

I love what I’ve read of the Deadpool comics, but this is just completely unfunny. The writing and voice acting seems really bad.

11. drcancerman says:

Well, it could be worse… Like the Doom movie was for Doom, and doom the Deadpool game into some barely recognizable crapola and leave it dead in the water of your neighbors pool full of piss from his slightly moronic, and hyperactive son.

See what i did there? See? See? seeeeeee? God damn it! SEE IT!!!

12. Strangerator says:

That was awful. I generally get a kick out of Deadpool humor, I have some vague impression of some spider man game where his level was extremely funny. Shattered Dimensions was it? I didn’t even mind the movie incarnation of Deadpool. This looks just plain horrid.

• Creeping Death says:

Could be. In Shattered Dimensions his level was an oil rig he had setup to use as a reality tv show.

13. strangeloup says:

Gameplay-wise it might be pretty good, given that High Moon made the pretty damn fun Transformers: Cybertron games.

On the other hand the voice actor had me grinding my teeth after half a trailer, the character design is typical insipid Rob Liefeld crap, and the humour is the sort of thing that’s probably pant-wettingly hilarious if you’re 14.

14. Matzerath says:

Yikes, those trailers are awful. Big studio attempts at wacky are like watching multiple people stepping into the same pile of dogshit.

15. mihor_fego says:

… and this is why I stopped reading marvel comics 20 years ago. I dunno, maybe I’m too old and grumpy and this character doesn’t seem ridiculous to 12-year olds.

16. DestructibleEnvironments says:

That is the voice of Nolan North, everyone. I much preferred the voice they had in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Now that was a guy that could play crazy and funny right.