Anomaly 2 Deviates From The Common Rule

By Alec Meer on April 30th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

‘Anomaly’ remains a word my brain doggedly refuses to spell right, but fortunately the little red squiggly line in my word processor always knows what to do. One day we’ll hire that guy, or girl. We’re equal squiggly opportunities here, you know. ‘Anomaly’ is also the first word in the name of the upcoming sequel to 11-Bit Studios’ inverted tower defence game, Anomaly: Warzone Earth. The sensibly subtitless Anomaly 2 arrives in just over a fortnight, on May 15, and while we usually don’t post about preorder incentives because it’s a slightly different weapon or a stupid hat or just being bullied by the man in Gamestop, when it’s a free extra copy of the game it’s rather less slight, stupid or bullying. It’s still bloody preordering, of course, and you wouldn’t preorder a car. You wouldn’t preorder a handbag. You wouldn’t preorder a television. You wouldn’t preorder a movie. Actually, people probably do pre-order all those things, don’t they? Political correctness gone mad, I call it.

But, yes, if for any reason you are already determined to tie yourself to Anomaly 2′s mast – and it’s shaping up to seem a reasonably solid one at least – ‘buying’ it now bags an extra copy to give to a friend. Or two of you go halfsies on the $13.49 price to get a copy each. This is not the first time 11-Bit have attempted attention-grabbing pre-order stunts, they being the studio who recently offered blind pre-orders at half price before they’d even said what the game in question was.

Unfortunately the deal expires before the release date, so I doubt we’ll be able to run a Wot I Think while the two-for-one thing’s still on. You never know, though. See if these trailers, one on the game’s -aheh – story and the other a dev walkthrough of the rather more important multiplayer, are of any help to you.

__________________

« | »

, , .

• colossalstrikepackage says:

It’s confirmed. I’m having an off day today in Tokyo. Or as my friends would say 馬鹿ぽい! It took me a full two minutes to figure this out. :(

1. MuscleHorse says:

I pre-order films, but then I’ve generally already gone done and seen it in a cinema.

I also sometimes pre-order games, because I am a dumb. Brink still hurts.

• Gap Gen says:

I can’t remember regretting a preorder, but I probably have once or twice? Battlefield 3 maybe – the single player was awful and I didn’t play the multiplayer enough to justify the £35 – but then the multiplayer was the important bit and it would have happened had I bought it post-release, too.

• Easy says:

‘Brink’…. yeah, I still punch myself in the face for that.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Likewise.

• Winged Nazgul says:

Brink pre-ordering face-punching club checking in.

After resolving never to do it again, I pre-ordered both Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite this year. Guess more face-punching is in order.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Yep, I too fell over the Brink.

I also preordered Bioshock Infinite, but that was because they had a very good offer going: for my £24, I got Infinite, Bioshock, X-COM, and Civ 5. I already had the last three (well, I thought I didn’t have Civ 5, but I did), but I ordered knowing I could give away Bioshock and X-COM to friends. So I have no regrets on that preorder, despite my feelings about Infinite itself.

• Koozer says:

The only game I regretted preordering was Hitman: Subtitle. Luckily Gamersgate let me cancel it the day after release \o/

2. Gap Gen says:

You wouldn’t preorder a policeman’s helmet and go to the toilet in it.

3. ShrikeMalakim says:

They’re also tossing another 10% off for owners of Anomaly: Warzone Earth. At least they are on Steam in the US. So I’m looking at $11.99 for two copies. That’s pretty darned reasonable, and considering how much I’ve enjoyed A:WE on PC and my phone, I’m willing to put aside my usual distaste for preorders for this one.

4. colossalstrikepackage says:

This post reminded me. The days of preordering films is upon us. Following Veronica Mars, Zach Braff of Scrubs and Garden State fame is definitely making a crowd sourced film too. Here is the link for your viewing pleasure/pain/:

• DrScuttles says:

How much did Zach Braff get paid on Scrubs? Yeah, he claims to be putting some of his own money into the project but still.

• eQuality_Ninja says:

hmm… It’s hard to tell. He earned big bucks from Scrubs and the other projects (internet tells me about $22million). But according to the Kickstarter page, he says:

“I am absolutely contributing my own money to the funding of the film, but I actually can’t afford to cover the entire cost of production. With a combination of my own personal funds, backing from my fans and the sale of some of the film’s foreign rights, I will be able to make the film I intended to make which I am hoping is a film you want to see. ”

I guess it boils down to whether you trust him when he says he cannot make his ideal film without Kickstarter money. In either case, he got his money within the first couple of days, so no one need to make further pre-orders!

5. DestructibleEnvironments says:

I still can’t believe that they only made the expansion for cell phones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomaly:_Korea

• Gap Gen says:

It’s interesting how it’s different from the PC version but still works. You don’t have a little guy running about, but otherwise it’s basically the same. I played it on a tablet, but unsure whether it’d work on a smaller screen.

6. trjp says:

When I worked in a garage, all the customers ‘pre-ordered’ new cars.

If you’re buying “white goods” cars in vanilla spec you might get one from stock, but almost every customer we had ordered bespoke item, paid a deposit and waited upto 5 months for it!!

Can’t speak for handbags but I guess there’s someone out there who simply must…

7. Mirqy says:

I don’t feel very strongly about pre-ordering either way, but isn’t ‘Sir, You Are Being Hunted’ open for pre-orders? How do we feel about that? Speaking for myself, I’m both conflicted and slightly dizzy.

8. onyhow says:

Pre-ordered it…enjoyed the first game, enjoyed the beta of this game (which means I actually get to experience this game somewhat, so I can make judgement about it), and extra copy means I get to trade it with other people for even more games…

9. onegear says:

You also get another 10% off if you already own the first Anomaly on Steam.