Bruce Begins, Conroy Ends: Arkham – Origins Gallery

By Adam Smith on April 30th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

We all love origin stories here at RPS. Who could forget Doom: Origins, in which it was revealed that Doom Guy’s actual name was Wallace Burgerstance, a man born from the unholy union of a lady Archvile and a nervous sprite-faced man? And what better example of the form can there be than Half Life: Origins – who could have guessed that the G-Man was both Gordon’s MIT post-grad professor and his brother from another dimension? Arkham: Origins may not tickle our fancy in the same way though because it is out of Rocksteady’s steady hands, doesn’t have Kevin Conroy’s Batman voice and actually exists. Let’s have less Origins and more Oranges. Loads of screenshots below.

It’s Christmas Eve in Gotham, which confirms my theory that Batman is also Father Christmas and bat-stealths his way down chimneys to leave unconscious thugs in the pantry. As a sort of justice gift, you understand. He’s essentially like the pet cat that keeps leaving dead things on your kitchen floor and expects some kind of reward.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. RedViv says:

Oh well. Then let us at least have Ron Perlman as Slade.

• Unruly says:

Don’t you mean Deathstroke? This isn’t the aimed-at-kids Teen Titans cartoon. Then again, I guess his real name is Slade… But still, I think they’ll probably go for Deathstroke since they can actually use it this time around without the suits getting worried that it’s too violent or whatever.

Also, not trashing on the Teen Titans cartoon. I loved it.

• RedViv says:

It’s still his first name. :P

I don’t know what’s so horrible about DEATHSTROKE THE TERMINATOR. Seems cuddly enough.

• frightlever says:

Deathstroke even made it into the Young Justice toons. Not the best use ever, but at least he was there.

Shame they canned Young Justice, to replace it with Teeny Tiny Titans or whatever the hell the new show is.

• Unruly says:

I think it’s called Teen Titans Go! I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard it’s supposed to be the sequel to the first Teen Titans cartoon. If it sticks to the way the old show did it, it should be good. But from the wiki page that I just now looked up, they’re trying to make it a comedy show I guess? Not a smart move.

• Fomorian1988 says:

It’s not a sequel, and they turned it basically into a colorful sitcom with the characters as wacky roommates. It’s crap.

• wererogue says:

Y’see, when you said Slade, I thought “Ron Perlman as Noddy Holder… that has some mileage”.

2. Amstrad says:

Oh hey, I wondered how they were going to handle minimizing the number of civilians and restricting the playable area of the city now that the game isn’t going to be restricted to just the prison or the Arkham district. Snowed in works for me!

3. int says:

Bruce Wayne is Batman!

4. Universal Quitter says:

No Conroy? The 90s child in me is crying. That could be the systemic abuse and neglect, though. I’ll get back to you on that.

• Slurpy says:

I was on the fence about getting this until I read that tidbit. Never mind. I’ll just play through NG+ of Arkham City instead.

5. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

And so the War on Christmas enters a new phase.

6. Anthile says:

No Conroy, no Hamill, no Rocksteady and no Dini. I’m not exactly sold on this.

• Earl-Grey says:

No Hamill? But, but…awh, this just ruined my morning, some, a little, slightly. I need a hug.

• gwathdring says:

AC was supposed to be his last recording as The Joker. I think it was a worthy last performance. :)

• Simon Hawthorne says:

Yeah – this is less to do with poor publisher decision and more that Mark Hamill has found that doing the Joker voice is straining his voice more and more. He’s been the Joker for so long, it was a great exit. Also I’ve heard rumours he may be involved in another project now to do with some small cult film he did when he was young. What was that called again?

• Unruly says:

Hamill has said that a couple times already. I think that the first time I heard about him saying something along those lines was with the release of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. But then he did The Joker for Justice League. The next time I heard him say he was going to retire from doing Joker was when Arkham Asylum released. Then he did Arkham City as well. Now he’s saying he’s done again, but also that he’s more than willing to reprise the role if they ever do an animated version of The Killing Joke.

I won’t believe he’s retired from doing Joker’s voice until he’s dead or he just plain can’t do the voice any more. But considering that Frank Welker is still doing just fine, and that he’s actually a few years older than Hamill, I think we’ve got a while to go before the strain gets to be too much. Also, I think that he enjoys doing The Joker as much as we fans enjoy him doing it.

• thegooseking says:

No Sorkin, either, but that was also true of Arkham City.

I mean, Conroy and Hamill certainly made Batman and the Joker their own to great effect, but Harley Quinn was Sorkin’s from the start. The character was created for her.

• BatmanBaggins says:

This is pretty much how I’m feeling. Makes me a little sad that so much of the talent that made the first two games so great is going to have nothing to do with this one.

7. BreadBitten says:

Well it makes sense since this is a prequel and all, but the way I see it the new guy that eventually gets the part better do a hell of a job sounding like a younger version of Kevin’s Bruce/Batman. Imagine how jarring the transition from Origins to Asylum/City would be if that were not so!

8. Ross Angus says:

No embiggen? I’m clicking as hard as I can.

9. ripper_hugme says:

We all know that DooMguy’s name is Flynn McTaggart which is the most badass name I have ever heard.

Seriously that’s what he was named in the DooM books.

• BatmanBaggins says:

Those books got pretty insane, didn’t they? I barely remember them, since I last read them some time around the mid-late 90s, but it might also be because my teenage brain checked out around the time they introduced two talking space gorillas named Sears and Roebuck.

10. Simon Hawthorne says:

The concept art looks remarkably like Arkham City…even down to the costume. Surely as a ‘origin’ story he should have a rubbish costume and not be as badass to begin with?

The best thing about the Arkham games is that they made you feel like you were Batman. I’m not sure how that will work for a game that is about you not-being Batman until half way through.

It could still be fun although I’m expecting this to be more derivative of Arkham City than Arkham City was of Arkham Asylum.

• woodsey says:

He is Batman all the way through. Its The Dark Knight’s early-in-the-career Batman, not Batman Begins.

• BatmanBaggins says:

He looks pretty much the same in those screens as he does in the first two Arkham games. The notion that he’s much younger sounds like a pretty flimsy excuse to not use Kevin Conroy again. What, is he supposed to be a squeaky voiced teenager?

11. kud13 says:

So, for villains we have BlackMask, Penguin (again), and whomever the red and black dude is.

• NailBombed says:

….. um, it looks pretty obvious that’s Deathstroke.

• Simon Hawthorne says:

Pretty sure that’s Deathstroke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathstroke and he should be yellow and black but all the lighting is red so it looks red and black! He’s currently in the TV series Arrow as Slade Wilson if you watch that.

• gwathdring says:

He’s known simply as Slade in the Teen Titans TV series, and has a red and black costume. I believe the name Deathstroke comes up, but I might just be saying that because I remember that he’s called that in other canon.

• Unruly says:

I don’t think they ever called him Deathstroke in the Teen Titans cartoon. I remember hearing something about the name change being because the suits thought that Deathstroke was too violent of a name for a character in a show that was predominantly meant for kids. So they kept the general design but just used the character’s “real” name instead.

Also, in both the comics and the Teen Titans show his costume is orange and black, not yellow or red. Though in the TV show it often appears to be more of a reddish-orange color because of how he’s always stepping out of shadows.

• gwathdring says:

Riiiiight. I do remember that. I always thought it was weird because Bruce Tim isn’t exactly shy about traumatizing children. But Deathstroke is too much. :P

• Unruly says:

Well, Bruce Timm didn’t have anything to do with the Teen Titans show. It’s not even a part of the wider DCAU. This despite the general character designs being obviously influenced by Timm’s style. Well, except when they pull the anime-inspired stuff like the chibi faces and all that.

But yea, Teen Titans isn’t actually DCAU or I think they probably would have fought harder to get Deathstroke in as the name. But then again, I don’t think they ever referred to Deadshot by his name in Justlce League or JLU when he made appearances, so maybe the executives would have put their feet down on him even if it was under Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett. Paul Dini had pretty much parted ways with WB by the time Teen Titans came out, I’m pretty sure. It was either then or shortly after the series started up.

• gwathdring says:

He’s not credited as a creative contributor, but he was a producer on the show. I also feel like the show was, Bruce Timm or no Bruce Timm, very much in contact with BTAS and JLA. My comment stands in any case, even if Bruce Timm is the wrong name to drop; Teen Titans got a lot of shit past the radar, and had plenty to more horrifying things than the name Deathstroke. I can’t remember specific things at the moment, but while watching I remember lots of little changes and such like this. It’s clear that whoever was in charge of the studio or the TV channel had some really weird ideas about what was and wasn’t child friendly.

I mean … I’m glad the shows got made! But how the kind of producer/studio/channel that cuts out the name Deathstroke can include domestic abuse, suicidal ideation, pretty much everything related to raven, and so forth into one show? The logic at work is baffling. :P

• DestructibleEnvironments says:

It’s Deadpool!

Internet fight commence!

12. Zogtee says:

But will it be *enhanced for the next console generation*? And how many graphics does it have?

13. DickSocrates says:

I love Conroy and Hamil, and they are the definitive voices for Batman and Joker, but they aren’t the only people who’ve voiced them and they won’t be the last.

I’m quite surprised by Conroy not being in it though. Claiming it’s because Batman is younger doesn’t make sense because he still looks more or less the same as he did in the previous two games, and Conroy has played younger Batmna/Bruce Wayne before, it’s not exactly a stretch for an actor to sound a bit younger. And I doubt Conry turned the part down, he’s voiced Batman whenever asked including many times where Hamil said no. He in Injustice.

14. MeestaNob says:

No Conroy? NO CONROY?

That’s it, I’m out.

15. Zekiel says:

So it’s Batman… at Christmas… sounds like Batman Returns! Yay! Can we have Christopher Walken please?

16. Temperance says:

Psst, Ben McKenzie is the best Bruce Wayne.

17. Solidstate89 says:

A Batman game with no Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill is no Batman game at all.

I know Hamill isn’t doing Joker anymore – period, but it’s still depressing nonetheless. Those two ARE their respective characters in my opinion. Each the best voices I have ever heard for both Batman and the Joker.

18. Jackablade says:

This would seem to have been the ideal time to do an Adam West Batman game.

• Cruzer says:

Just caught an episode of the old Batman for the first time in years while channel surfing the other day. He beat Mr. Freeze by wearing his Bat Thermal Underwear. It was amazing.

19. tyren says:

I understand their reasoning for not using Kevin Conroy’s voice but I don’t really agree with it. In early TAS there are mentions that Batman has only been active for a year or two, and that was where Kevin Conroy got his start as Batman, so it’s not like his voice was always intended to reflect the Batman that’s been around forever.

Still, as long as they get someone who can do the role justice, I can’t complain.

20. lordfrikk says:

Man, if this is not going to suck I’ll be very surprised and it will be the most pleasant surprise indeed.

Comment on this story