Chapter & Verse Of Space Hulk

By Alec Meer on April 30th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

ephemeral jazz hands!

Rummaging my empty head for games I was particularly excited about in 2013, I largely came up worryingly blank. I think, though, that’s got a lot to do with the fact that a lot of the most exciting upcomers are happening via Kickstarter, which means ‘twould be foolish to presume any of them will actually happen this year. Also because The Mainstream is all bound up in those new XStation things due out in the back end of the year, and of what we do get from that on PC, we probably won’t be shown much of it until Microsoft starts talking about its next big, ugly, advert-spewing box. One thing my brain did burp up without much prompting, however, was Space Hulk. I want that on my PC and I want it now. (I also want it on my tablet thing, but that’s primarily for when I’m not, erm, sitting on a chair). I haven’t seen it myself yet, but I am so far convinced by dev Full Control’s enthusiasm for it. In the following video Q&A, there’s a bunch more of that, plus some very pleasing hints about what they’ve got planned post-release. Maudlin, semi-traitorous hands in the air, fellow Dark Angels fans!

Here you go:

If you can’t/won’t watch a few minutes of a softly-spoke Dane answering fan questions, here are probably the two biggest takeaways-

They are “looking into your favourite characters and chapters” of Space Marines post-release, and while Thomas Lund here stops short of promising, he does say that Full Control have a big Deathwing fan on the team. The Deathwing are the Dark Angels’ Terminator company, Fine news for anyone who finds the Blood Angels a tad vanilla.

As well as (or probably related to) that is talk of expansions. “New chapters and campaigns”are planned “for as long as it is feasible”, and perhaps even better is a level editor. That latter will even work cross-platform. Fiendish, trap-filled, labyrinthine death-ships is my kind of self-flagellation.

In further Full Control news, their Jagged Alliance: Flashback Kickstarter continues, but in the hope of moving the current $107k needle closer to the $350k target, they’ve announced that anyone pledging $5 or more will receive a DRM-free set of original JA games if/when the funding’s completed. The classic pack contains agged Alliance, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, Jagged Alliance 2 and Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business, which will be made friendly with Win 7 for the first time (apparently) and delivered via Humble Bundle (as will Flashback itself). You can do that here, if you so wish.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Nick says:

“anyone who finds the Blood Angels a tad vanilla.”

Um, what is vanilla about Blood Angels? Ultramarines maybe..

• Mirqy says:

And thus, the eternal war continues…

• tormos says:

in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only interchapter flame war

Stellar Duck says:

Which is silly as we all know that the Imperial Guard is better than all of them.

• tormos says:

Orks (or more specifically their fantasy brethren, Orcs) will always have a special place in my heart. Not least as a result of the Goblin Doom Diver. What do they load their catapults with for maximum effect? Goblins!
            also if i remember correctly in the older editions of 40k orks in power armor could negate terrain penalties by squishing goblins

Continuity says:

Yes, IG are the undisputed masters of being cannon fodder.

I played Blood Angels back in the day, so I have a soft spot for them, but I guess they could be seen as “vanilla” as they are the most commonly portrayed space marines, though Ultra marines certainly have the market cornered on bland.

• King_Rocket says:

Did the Doom Diver Make it over To 40k? I thought it was only in Fantasy.

• Geen says:

There’s no Doom Driver, but there is the shokk attack gun which can fire anything from a squig to whoever pulled the trigger at the enemy.

• Ricochet64 says:

All that matters is that we are loyal to the Emperor… and are not cannon fodder.

• vanosofmanos says:

Yeah, there’s nothing vanilla about Black Rage, Red Thirst cursed maniacs who only paint their armor red to help cover up the vast oceans of blood covering them from the legions of foes they’ve laid waste to with their chainswords and powerfists.

• vecordae says:

Any fantasy universe where someone can be named Lord Sephiroth Thanatos Von Hellking Wolfcry and be taken seriously is basically as vanilla as it comes.

2. captain nemo says:

Part the 1st : Space hulk :D

Part the 2nd: ‘Ugly advert-spewing box’ -> :D :D

Part the 3rd: Now have a Linux Mint up and running -> :D :D :D

(apologies for self – indulgence)

3. Michael Fogg says:

What’s this talk of expansions when we don’t know if the base game from these newcomers will be worth anything?

• Werthead says:

They are showing confidence in their product, which hopefully encourages confidence from potential customers (in theory).

They’re not exactly going to be saying, “Actually, it’s looking a bit crap at the moment so we’re not going to do any expansions or anything like that. I wouldn’t even bother with the base game, to be honest,” are they?

4. nimzy says:

I can’t get over the resemblence to Tim Schafer in that picture. It’s gotta be the eyes and goatee. Ever think about doing a point and click adventure game inspired by Space Hulk, Mr. Lund?

5. Rumpel says:

i wish to god they’d have waited with the JA kickstarter until after space hulk is released.

• WrenBoy says:

Look at his trustworthy, Tim Schafer-like face. Your Space Hulk dreams and potential Kickstarter pledges are safe in his honest hands.

Pay the man.

• Rumpel says:

i did pay the man, but 107/350 is not how i hoped it’d go

• WrenBoy says:

Well, in terms of making their goal its not bad. Not sure how much extra they can reasonably expect though.

• Werthead says:

I’m presuming this is the same deal as the inXile thing. These guys are fully into production on SPACE HULK, so their pre-production team can either start work on JAGGED ALLIANCE right now (which requires funding) or be made redundant for a few months until SPACE HULK comes out.

• ThomasLund says:

Yep! Nailed it. Its a huge issue that we independents have to try to deal with, as we are putting every last $ into making Space Hulk as good as possible. And then you dont start seeing money from sales until 2-3 months later – that gap is deadly for smaller independents.

And Jagged is a game we loved and played a lot – and the chance to do a new story there was too tempting a combination to not go with as a bridge between Space Hulk and “next after JA”.

Right now our Kickstarter can still go both ways – but we are not giving up without a fight.

• jalf says:

So… you guys hiring? ;)

• Rumpel says:

i assumed this was the motivation behind the decision. my concern wasnt so much overlap of projects, but reputation of full control. having an awesome game under your belt as a studio would make many people more comfortable investing i think.
          if the kickstarter doesnt go your way, i just hope you try again shortly after space hulk is on the shelves. there definitely is an audience for your games, we’re just a careful breed.

6. MuscleHorse says:

“One thing I my main did burp up”

I, urm, what?

• Runty McTall says:

Strange, I read that as “mind”, but you are quite right. Look for a magical edit in the next few hours, I guess.

• stoner says:

This comment is addressed to MuscleHorse.:
        Apparently, you don’t speak Gibberish. This example is a rare dialect: Incomprehensible Gibberish

LOL

Stellar Duck says:

How exciting! Sign me up for Deathwing!

Also, as a fellow Dane, I just got reminded of our weird English accent. My toes wanted to cringe.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, at least it’s not a Dutch accent..

• ThomasLund says:

Especially when dead tired running a Kickstarter at the same time :-D

I can find my US accent sometimes – but not this time. MOAR BEER might help!

8. Dog Pants says:

Quickly scrolling past this article I thought I saw a greying Richard Cobbett.

9. Lemming says:

Sign me up for the Wolf Guard!

10. LennyLeonardo says:

He seems like a lovely man, and he seems to be making a lovely game.
    By the way you don’t need to bother with Imperial Fists, because they are stupid and yellow.

11. Reapy says:

I feel like something is lost with the dice roll as log. There is an inherent suspense to a dice roll, need to roll X, dice hit the table, waiting, reading, YES! This can be done in a game, but a log window usually doesn’t convey that sequence. You see something like Roll: 6 ( -2 +3 -2 ) = 4 or whatevever show up post results.

I think the best way to do that is as you hover or are about to click, you see “need 3″ or something, click, see the number you rolled floaty text by, then animate the results. I guess xcom did this a bit, percent chance for success, click, wait for result.

I think of bloodbowl, how it was hard to see what you were rolling, and I think a big thing about a dice game is knowing if you needed a 3, but rolled a 6, while it doesn’t matter that it was ‘way over’ what you needed, it is still psychologically pleasing. The experience of it being a 4 vs a 6 is different, WHEW I JUST MADE IT vs Well over!

I think while it is a subtle thing, the joy of dice rolling can still be captured along side animated results.