Neverwinter’s Open Beta Live – Help Start The RPS Guild!

By John Walker on April 30th, 2013 at 5:30 pm.

Town centre on a Saturday night.

Update: Well, that was a disaster. It turns out the silly game only lets you start a guild if all members of your current party are over level 15, or bought a Founders pack, or transferred Zen into the game. So it didn’t happen tonight. However, if those who tick any of those boxes want to email me either via above, or in the game (jennifer@bothererer), we can try to organise something soon.

Sorry I wasn’t able to respond to everyone’s questions in game – that tiny little chat box and the sheer volume made it impossible.

Cryptic’s Neverwinter has just gone live into open beta, not half an hour ago. Which means that now all and sundry can return to the Sword Coast to swash, thieve, bludgeon or feyly dance through it’s grrrrr-based adventures. And so it is that it only seems appropriate for there to be an RPS guild within. If you’re interested in joining, we’ll need some help getting it going – details below.

I’ve been playing all weekend, and I’m almost bemused to report than I’m hooked. I’ll have some much more detailed thoughts on the game tomorrow, but I can tell you that it’s superbly well made (which shouldn’t be a surprise, since it’s Cryptic), while quite surprisingly generic. Everything’s within the canon of those Forgotten Realms, and the story takes place after what I am told was a large even in the D&D tales called the Spellplague. While it’s packed with dungeons, which are the highlight, there’s also a really rather silly volume of “Kill 10 of them” quests, far more than I remember from my first encounter a few months ago. But despite that, it’s worked for me, which is the first time I can say that about an MMO in many years. And since it’s free (and it’s remarkably free – I’ve played to level 28 and haven’t needed to spend a single virtual-penny), I’d certainly say it’s worth a look. And that’s before I even mention The Foundry, which should be ha-uge – more on that tomorrow.

So, why don’t we all stick together, eh? If you’re interested in gathering with other RPSers, you’ll find us on the Dragon server. And my character is called Jennifer, because she’s a girl, and no one else had taken it yet. The reason I tell you that is because to create a guild, we’re going to need a party first. Is that normal? I’ve no idea. But it’s what it wants. Thus, the plan:

If a group of interested people want to turn up this evening at 10pm BST (9pm GMT, 2pm PST), add me as a chum in their friends list, then when I’ve got enough for a party I’ll start a guild. And publish the results for everyone else in this post, and in tomorrow’s feature.

So friend jennifer@bothererer at 10pm tonight, and we’ll be away! If you’re likely to be there, let me know in the comments below, so I don’t just stand around like a sadsack with no one coming to my party.

(If the servers go titsup because of the influx of new players, I’ll post here cancelling, and we’ll try again soon.)

, .

1. barelyhomosapien says:

Assuming I manage to login I’ll be there!

• Shinikake says:

Attempting to load the game up brings new meaning to its title ‘neverWINTER’…

UPDATE: They are working on it: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?162831-Launcher-issues-Updated-here

• barelyhomosapien says:

Damnit, wish I read that before uninstalling the beta client thinking it was fubar’d!

Looks like I’ll miss guild creation but I’m still up for it, I’ll be @barelyhomosapien

• Borklund says:

I am in-game, Beldak@borklund

• barelyhomosapien says:

Been seeding at up to 2mb/s all night/morning so hopefully helped out an RPSer or two.

As for the game, I didn’t think much of it when I tried it during one of the beta weekends but something seems to have clicked with this “open beta” version. I am playing a different class to the two I tried then so that may well be it.

2. Muzman says:

… is than a giant armored spider?
    Oh goody.

• Azhrarn says:

Looks like a Blade Spider pet, probably a Ranger nearby then. :)

• Skhalt says:

There is the same kind of spider available as a mount, for those crazy enough to buy the 200$ founder pack.

3. Bostec says:

I am downloading this right now. My name will be Bostec and I shall be playing as a male something if it all goes according to plan and I don’t forget. That is if it downloads by 9pm, the servers are taking a beating.

4. EPICTHEFAIL says:

Sure why not (TM). Assuming the servers don`t cave, I`ll likely be there.

EDIT: No such luck, it seems, thanks to PW`s servers being run by monkeys banging on keyboards. Shame, as I really wanted to try it out after TB`d WTF Is… , but perhaps I`ll have better luck some other time.

5. Synesthesia says:

What’s the Nyx Assasin doing on NWN?

6. Screwie says:

John: “And my character is called Jennifer, because she’s a girl, and no one else had taken it yet.”

I admit I’ve not been following Neverwinter closely, but Cryptic are probably re-using their clever account system which allows players to have the same name – their full name in the database is of the form, “charactername@accountname”. This worked a treat in CO and STO.

• nrvsNRG says:

this is true.

• unangbangkay says:

Speaking of clever account systems, Cryptic’s is such that your friends lists and even custom chat channels are preserved across games. You can hold a convo with people who are playing Star Trek Online while playing Champions Online and vice-versa. Not sure if the same holds true for NW while it’s in beta, but if it does there’s a lot of potential for weird “cross-dimensional” shenanigans.

7. Brun says:

I’d love to jump in but being from the US the time difference (and potential ping/regional lockout issues) will likely kill it for me. If the RPS guild becomes a thing I might drop by when I have more time.

(Posting since I’ve read and commented on RPS for a year or two now but haven’t ever really played games with RPS people before. Note to self – do this more).

• Larkington says:

Ah, didn’t think about region locks. D’oh!

• vanosofmanos says:

If there’s region locks and stuff, and us US players can’t play with our chums across the pond, we can always just do a US contingent somewhere as has been done with other games in the past.

• katinkabot says:

Happy News! No region locks. I’m on Dragon server on the US – had early access. All sorts of folks on the server from all over the globe.

• Brun says:

Lovely. I’ll try to get the client tonight, if I can’t make it today hopefully sometime later this week.

• Brun says:

I’m in. Brun@brun5, if I understand the handle system correctly.

• tungstenHead says:

As far as I can tell, there aren’t any oceans.

8. Larkington says:

I’d love to join. I believe 10 p.m. will be 5 p.m. EST, for those of us an ocean away.

9. Vorphalack says:

Considering i’ve been binging on Borderlands 2 recently, I might just be up for some kill 10 of them and take all their stuff action. Frankly, when you are tiered of repetitive loot generators, you are tiered of life.

10. nrvsNRG says:

servers are down :(

11. Commander Gun says:

How’s the game in comparison to the usual suspects (WoW, GW2, maybe LotrO)? There are so many of these games coming out i kinda lost track of this one.

• vanosofmanos says:

It’s fun. I played in Beta Weekend 3, and had a really good time. It’s probably most similar to GW2 in game play, but the setting’s cool (full disclosure: I’m a huge fan of the Neverwinter D&D setting), and the companions switch things up a bit. I actually really like the implementation for dungeons and their mini-dungeon skirmishes. Plus: the player-created Foundry content could add a bunch of longevity to the game.

12. vanosofmanos says:

If the game wasn’t broken, I’d be playing it right now and trying to join up with as many RPS people as I can. As it stands, it looks like it’s going to be a long day indeed.

13. grable says:

Id love to play it. but perfectworld has a not so very perfect login portal. or should i say SEVERAL. all of which connect back to perfectworls portal, yet it still wont work for me.

Another game i wont play i guess.. bye bye neverwinter!

14. GamerOfFreedom says:

I’ll be there!

15. Sp4rkR4t says:

Oh go on then, Suppose I’ll have a look.

I really don’t know why I keep trying MMO’s, the only one that ever really captured my heart for more than a week was City Of Heroes.

16. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I’m currently running through Storm of Zehir in a full NWN 2 replay, and if you don’t like generic, than anything having to do with Neverwinter is probably something to steer clear of.

However, as NWN 2 shows, you can compensate for a generic setting with likeable characters. Alternately, you can expand into Rashemen (which is just Skyrim with ghost animals everywhere) or Chult (Dinosaurs! Snake-men!), or presumably several other region and remind people that there are some interesting areas kicking around the Forgotten Realms setting.

• vanosofmanos says:

They actually did a great job with Neverwinter when they updated it to 4th edition tabletop rules. They kept the focus on interesting characters, while changing up the setting just enough to make it more interesting and a bit less generic. While I’m not exactly sure how much of the awesome characters will end up translating to the MMO ( I only got past Helm’s Hold, which is about midway to cap), they did do some pretty cool stuff with the locations and environments. There’s a couple of areas I have some problems with where they took some serious creative license (The Graveyard), but all in all, it’s pretty neat to look at, and there’s a lot of difference between the zones.

17. StuJ says:

Yep, will give it a go. Been looking to try a new mmo but none of the recent crop have held my attention

18. kaloth says:

If I could get in the game, I would so be there.

19. kael13 says:

The closed beta client doesn’t seem to be behaving, so I’ll have to redownload that and I’ve just started playing EVE again, but I should be there!

• vanosofmanos says:

The closed beta client should work fine, as it applies a patch to update it to current. They’re having problems with their servers, so the launcher whites out and gets stuck. And occasionally crashes.

20. vecordae says:

If things go according to my needlessly complicated plan, I shall be in and among you when I get home from my daily toils. I look forward to meeting you all, though I apologize in advance that my presence in the game will subtly dilute the overall quality of the player base.

21. Tei says:

And my AXE!

downloading is incredible slow now. 0.7 % already downloaded.

22. Jerodar says:

Ooh I’ve been itching for another mmo. Let’s see if this will do.
    Will there be some voicy thingy going on as well?

EDIT: Seems the torrent is rather slow but the direct download got slurped in at 3MB/s so try that.
    Then again, I’m now starting at a blank screen of what is probably supposed to be the launcher, so don’t get your hopes up.

• DrScuttles says:

Odd, for me the torrent downloaded in no time while the direct download struggled along at shameful speeds.

23. amateurviking says:

Fair do’s I’ll give it a whirl. What’s the worst that can happen?

24. burben says:

If I can download in time I’ll be there

25. derbefrier says:

Didn’t realize this was f2p. Will deffinately give it a shot. But being from ‘merica andhaving a job means I won’t be able to play with any rps’ers.

26. suveraan says:

I’ll try to be there, just got into the game.

27. Simbosan says:

Downloading at… 23 kb/s. Be on sometime next week!

• Martel says:

I wish I could get those speeds, seems to hover around 10k for me.

• Vorphalack says:

Try the .rar download from Gamefront. The direct download and torrent options aren’t making any progress for me, but i’m getting 500k-1mb/s from Gamefront.

• Martel says:

Thanks, I’ll switch to that one and report back.

• Martel says:

That one is working much better than the torrent or the direct download from them. I suppose I should have tried that at first, not sure why I didn’t.

28. Bahoxu says:

I’m going to be part of this beta and if i like it i will most likely buy it at launch. Then i’ll arrange to have the day off work for the opening day and play all day and all night.

I just don’t learn from my mistakes. I’ve done this for almost all big MMO releases and it has always been a disaster. All the way from login problems to Anarchy Online actually deleting my entire harddrive.

If i was even a little bit sensible, i would ignore the game and try it at least six months after release when most of the really serious bugs are fixed. But i’m not.

• katinkabot says:

This is launch – sort of. It’s open beta because Cryptic still plans on releasing a few more things like another race and class. Frankly, I don’t know speficially what that means. They will likely comment on that in the coming days. It’s a F2P game but you can purchase “founder” packs – the most expensive being $200.00 for nice in-game things. Nothing gamebreaking for those not purchasing it, just stuff to make leveling and moving around the world easier.

• Bahoxu says:

Oh, this is launch? Well, perfect. I’ve got tomorrow off work. I’m sure this launch will be better :-)

29. deadfolk says:

If I can log in, I’ll be there with bells on.

Not literally, of course.

30. killmachine says:

john, i really like reading your texts. or, latters combined to words, building paragraphs, forming chapters… nah, unable to copy your style. but i’m going to download this game now. if i find the homepage.

31. Lacero says:

you know there’s something wrong with a torrent when you have higher upload than download speeds.

32. Lagwolf says:

Will be there and the name… shocking enough is Lagwolf.

33. darkChozo says:

Won’t be there (clearly RPS should cater to my US-living and work-going needs), but may be interested in any future forays.

34. Rumpel says:

probably wont make it till 21gmt with these serverspeeds. 23 could be possible though

35. Kab says:

I really want to be there – and by coincidence started to download the game before reading this – however, as I live in the benighted northern borderlands where broadband is powered by 3 legged leprous red squirrels on hamster wheels, the Old God Windows is saying I still have 3 hours of download time left :( Which puts me at 11pm (or so) BST.

Sadface.

36. Choca says:

Definitely check out the user made content in the Foundry quests, I’ve done a player created dungeon this week-end with two other people and it was fantastic, far better than all the “official” ones so far. Long as hell (around 3 hours) but incredibly well made, I’m pretty sure that guy must have spent weeks building it during beta.

37. Splynter says:

Good lord that torrent is not doing so hot. See you in… 1y1w apparently :/

38. TomxJ says:

Well, if it works intime i’lll be one as tomxjrps

39. Mabb says:

I’ll be around about that time, so I’ll add you to my friends list. (Mab@kesri)

40. scorcher24 says:

How much do you guys get paid for that endorsement?

• darkChozo says:

I hear that they gave him access to the game for free. For shame.

41. Kronikle says:

I am so pleasantly surprised by the lack of negativity this time around. It seems like every RPS post about Neverwinter is just spewing with hate in the comments. I’ve been playing this game all weekend and have been having an absolute blast. The combat when playing the Control Wizard is some of the most fun I’ve ever experienced in an MMO.

• nrvsNRG says:

“The combat when playing the Control Wizard is some of the most fun I’ve ever experienced in an MMO.”

so…………its just average then?

seriously tho, the wizard and rogue do have pretty fun combat.
      just a shame that the servers are shit and we cant play. it was laggy as fuck in beta w/ends and i wouldnt be surprised if it stays shitty, (even past the initial day or two).

42. darkChozo says:

Reply fail, sigh. Has the comment system been bugging out for anyone else lately? Like, more than usual?

43. TheLavitz says:

Count me in. I’ll be ____________@xthexlavitzx

44. AnotherGamingEnglishman says:

Mmmm another MMO launch day… Time to once again run the gauntlet of gigabytes of client downloads and login issues, see you on the other side!

45. Drunsul says:

Why do MMO’s never update their initial download to include all that patches. How asinine is it to make you download a massive file and then download massive patches. Why not just patch the initial download and save everyone time.

46. Jerodar says:

Soooo, apparently a full group (5 people) need to either be a founder, bought Zen (their rl money thingy) or be level 15 to form a guild. So no guild for now at least it seems.
    Also offcourse, there is maintenance currently :P

I gotta say though, even with all the launcher errors, and the massive lag at first, the communication from Cryptic has been really, really good. A lot of mmo producers can learn from that.

The lag seems to have been fixed so let’s see how the actual gameplay is after the maintenance.

EDIT: the maintenance is done, they didn’t even bring the shard/realm offline after all

47. kael13 says:

First thing I did was change the font size and size of the chat box! It’s customisable, dontchaknow.

48. xannash says:

Queue position 2258…yeah not gonna happen

• caff says:

4308 or something. Though it seems to have gone up since I alt-tabbed out.

• Rumpel says:

2258 you say? i just jumped UP from 4427 to 9829. so there is that.

• Splynter says:

I just jumped from ~3900 to over 10000. Sigh.

EDIT: Oh, there’s back to 3366

• KiwiRed says:

I’ve been at everything from 350-ish to (currently) 94155. It’s kind of like playing an old microsoft file transfer dialogue window.

49. Lagwolf says:

Gotta say… played this a bit today. Colour me completely underwhelmed. Looks good, plays not really that well. Server just went down in the middle of a battle too… how nice. My queue number after I got punted over 4400.

50. Salinko says:

I\d love to play but they have disabled my region! Perhaps I’ll VPN in…