Neverwinter’s Open Beta Live – Help Start The RPS Guild!

By John Walker on April 30th, 2013 at 5:30 pm.

Town centre on a Saturday night.

Update: Well, that was a disaster. It turns out the silly game only lets you start a guild if all members of your current party are over level 15, or bought a Founders pack, or transferred Zen into the game. So it didn’t happen tonight. However, if those who tick any of those boxes want to email me either via above, or in the game (jennifer@bothererer), we can try to organise something soon.

Sorry I wasn’t able to respond to everyone’s questions in game – that tiny little chat box and the sheer volume made it impossible.

Cryptic’s Neverwinter has just gone live into open beta, not half an hour ago. Which means that now all and sundry can return to the Sword Coast to swash, thieve, bludgeon or feyly dance through it’s grrrrr-based adventures. And so it is that it only seems appropriate for there to be an RPS guild within. If you’re interested in joining, we’ll need some help getting it going – details below.

I’ve been playing all weekend, and I’m almost bemused to report than I’m hooked. I’ll have some much more detailed thoughts on the game tomorrow, but I can tell you that it’s superbly well made (which shouldn’t be a surprise, since it’s Cryptic), while quite surprisingly generic. Everything’s within the canon of those Forgotten Realms, and the story takes place after what I am told was a large even in the D&D tales called the Spellplague. While it’s packed with dungeons, which are the highlight, there’s also a really rather silly volume of “Kill 10 of them” quests, far more than I remember from my first encounter a few months ago. But despite that, it’s worked for me, which is the first time I can say that about an MMO in many years. And since it’s free (and it’s remarkably free – I’ve played to level 28 and haven’t needed to spend a single virtual-penny), I’d certainly say it’s worth a look. And that’s before I even mention The Foundry, which should be ha-uge – more on that tomorrow.

So, why don’t we all stick together, eh? If you’re interested in gathering with other RPSers, you’ll find us on the Dragon server. And my character is called Jennifer, because she’s a girl, and no one else had taken it yet. The reason I tell you that is because to create a guild, we’re going to need a party first. Is that normal? I’ve no idea. But it’s what it wants. Thus, the plan:

If a group of interested people want to turn up this evening at 10pm BST (9pm GMT, 2pm PST), add me as a chum in their friends list, then when I’ve got enough for a party I’ll start a guild. And publish the results for everyone else in this post, and in tomorrow’s feature.

So friend jennifer@bothererer at 10pm tonight, and we’ll be away! If you’re likely to be there, let me know in the comments below, so I don’t just stand around like a sadsack with no one coming to my party.

(If the servers go titsup because of the influx of new players, I’ll post here cancelling, and we’ll try again soon.)

, .

1. Splynter says:

Well I’m in, and ready to create a character. Did anybody else find it odd that at one point in the intro movie the rogue cuts off her shoulder armour? Surely she wouldn’t throw away AC just to show a little skin…

• TheLavitz says:

I’m guessing she had to get rid of it because it was too heavy for her to do that sweet shadow step thingie.

2. Lagwolf says:

Well spotted Splynter….

3. sharmopy says:

Guys What Is The Queue Position ?

4. strangeloup says:

My download speed is a bit rubbish (3 megabit) and I only saw this post at 9pm so I’m afraid I’m going to miss seeing you guys, but on the other hand might also miss some early teething troubles. I have set phasers to Cautiously Optimistic in any case.

It certainly looks promising, but I’m wondering if this means that Dungeons & Dragons Online (which, oddly, got distinctly better when relaunched as F2P) is going to be phased out. Or is that by a different company? I’m confused.

5. Arglebargle says:

My que position is not quite infinite. Yet. Guess they are having a bit of a first day rush. Maybe catch you all later.

6. yoggesothothe says:

Good lord, even if I had made the download on time, figured out the blasted difference between username and display name, made it through the queue, and the guild creation thingy had gone right, I would never have gotten in from spending freaking two hours in character creation.

Does anyone else do this every time they start an RPG?

• yoggesothothe says:

And then of course, after getting past start zone, the face still wasn’t quite right. Delete, reroll, spend another 40 minutes tweaking sliders again. Is this abnormal?

7. Devilturnip says:

I am in, Amali@devilturnip

We should have a forum thread about this.

8. evenflowjimbo says:

Alright. I tried downloading it from their main server, that was slow. So I got it from filefront, which was way better. After that, I tried to open the game, but like most, I got the error from the launcher. I then looked it up on the forum and got the neverwinter.exe from one of their mods. I finally got the launcher to work and updated .. only to log in and stand in a queue of 7000 …

I’m not gonna cry about it because it’s day one.

9. Sarkhan Lol says:

Ahaha, what a disastrous launch. At least there’s entertainment value in watching the $200 Founder’s Pack crew melt down on the forums and literally blame Obama for the ‘freeloaders’ ruining their experience.

10. Tacticalbacon says:

hey guys, add me at – tacticalbacon@syluus89. Willing to help form the guild.

11. ShineyBlueShoes says:

The queue is wildly shooting between ~2000 and 107882…

12. Palindrome says:

I tried to log in at 0715 and apparently I am number 1632 in the queue.

13. ekuurh says:

Damn it, didn’t see it in time!
    Thank goodness I happen to be on the Dragon server as well :P

14. Tei says:

tei@teilaxu friend me, you dirty powindah.

15. Nickypoos says:

Okay so how long are you chaps having to queue, I’m somewhere between 109522 and 10000 or so?

Okay so over 3 hours passed and it kicked me for being idle for 15 mins, I know I’m bone idle but how did it know???

16. Akia says:

Well looks like Dragon shard died on us. But the maintenance seems to have sorted queueing out.

17. Nickypoos says:

Yeah, no queue tonight when I logged on after 9pm. Game seems okay so far, a few bugs with queueing to do whatever they call instances, which was odd since we had a full party and still had to try and queue.