Satan Your Curiosity About Techland’s Hellraid

By Nathan Grayson on April 30th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

He looks terribly upset. In fairness, however, he does live in hell.

Over the course of my many years as a game-enjoying human fleshcreature, I’ve been on many adventures that could be described as hell raids. I cannot, however, claim to have experienced the Hellraid – which might also be some kind of lava-themed rollercoaster/water slide/burrito. But now, with Dead Island and Call of Juarez developer Techland claiming hell and the raiding thereof as its professional purview, that’s all about to change. And by change, I of course mean “bear a rather strong resemblance to either devil-thwacking Dead Island or first-person Diablo.” Here’s hoping for more latter and less former. Details after the break.

In short, Hellraid’s a first-person hack ‘n’ slash that rewards both cooperation and a little friendly, no-hard-feelings backstabbery. Either one represents a viable pathway to precious, precious loot, but be prepared to bash, smash, mash, crash, dash, splash, gnash, and gash everything in your pashth regardless. Oh, and slash, I guess. “Our combat system is also far more advanced than simple repetitive clicking as it needs precision and good timing when striking enemies and parrying their attacks while the blood splashes all around – that’s why we use the term slasher,” Techland wrote on Hellraid’s website.

The game’s overall structure, however, probably won’t leave you feeling too terribly homesick for, say, Diablo’s ashen pastures.

“The armies of Hell brought pain and destruction to the realm of man, and only a select few have the fighting skills necessary to confront the devilish monstrosities. Combining elements of hack & slash RPGs, first-person shooters and online multiplayer games, Hellraid features an advanced, immersive combat system with melee, ranged and magical weapons. The engaging Game Master system makes each game a different experience, placing loot and enemies while generating random online challenges.”

Aaaaaaaaaand breathe. There’s also an entirely separate single-player mode, so I doubt we’ll see any always online shenanigans. It has a story and boss fights and crafting and presumably hell and raids (note: neither of these have actually been confirmed), too! Top analysts speculate that it might even be a videogame.

Honestly though, there’s always been promise in the idea of first-person Diablo. We just need someone to get it right. Step one: probably don’t set it in Neo-Future-Ultra-Janky-Technosuit London. Step two: repeat step one until game is good. Step three: stop getting game development advice from some guy on the Internet.

Hellraid will be out sometime this year.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ankh says:

This sounds awesome. I’m glad they are using their excellent first person melee combat gameplay (from dead island) for something more interesting than hitting zombies over and over.

lhzr says:

>>>something more interesting than hitting zombies over and over.

yeah, enough with the zombies! i say bring on the skeletons, the ghouls, the draugrs and the.. revenants?

• Reapy says:

Still agree with the OP that their melee system seemed like much more interesting things could be done with it, hope they do so here.

• Triplanetary says:

They may also be undead, but they appear to move and wield weapons much like a living person, as opposed to a shuffling, moaning zombie. So I agree with the alternate-universe, non-sarcastic version of your point.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Obviously I respect your opinion, wise sir, but I think we all know that the timely introduction of NAZI ZOMBIES is what this game needs.

Then, and only then, will the majesty be complete.

• Docm30 says:

Draugar, not draugrs.

• Beemann says:

Clearly there needs to be a game in which you play as zombies and hit marauding groups of murder-hobo adventurers over and over
      You have business in the land of the living and you’ll be damned (more so) if some group of young upstarts with nary a century of experience under their belts is going to stop you

2. Javier-de-Ass says:

I hope this is techland’s take on heretic, optionally hexen.

• BTAxis says:

Indeed. I haven’t played a proper game like Heretic since Heretic.

• Dana says:

Dark Messiah.

• Kobest says:

Exactly! Any word on how that game is though? Saw my cousin play it, looked pretty good.

• Claidheamh says:

Quite buggy, but possible the best melee combat system I’ve ever played. Overall, it’s really enjoyable.

3. maximiZe says:

So Dead Island in a castle?

“Here’s hoping for more latter and less former.”
    Neat.

4. donmilliken says:

This looks neat. Given Techland’s track record I probably won’t be buying it on day one, but they’ve definitely got my attention.

5. squareking says:

This sounds like a thing I would play and enjoy.

6. BobbyDylan says:

Want.

7. onodera says:

This screenshot has so much of that Thief 3 vibe, I want them to take over the development of Thief 4. Don’t you just want to snuff that candle out?

8. Thoric says:

Sounds like DMoMM with co-op. Do want.

9. Shooop says:

I wasn’t impressed with Dead Island’s melee combat for more than 10 minutes. Now if this was being made by the Dark Messiah team…

10. laddyman says:

Oh gosh. I want to be excited by this but I’m terribly afraid that it will turn out to be a hare-brained combination of Dead Island with another, better game. This is, after all, the company that spent a seemingly massive part of its budget on an extravagant CGI trailer with precious little relation to the game it was advertising. That disappointing train of hype makes me more than a little wary of any new title by them.

11. Sordarias says:

I cannot believe I am about to say this, but:

Dead Island is fun as hell until you realize you cannot die — just keep throwing yourself at the horde. Tiresome after awhile. But a medieval, even generic-first person slasher fantasy game using their pretty great combat system? Maybe minus the awful gamey repair system?

Day one purchase. Day, fucking one.

12. Shadowcat says:

Screenshot. Painkiller. Heavy metal soundtrack kicking in. Stake gun at the ready. Bring it on.