Duke Nukem Forever And Ever, A Mod

By Alec Meer on May 1st, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Remember Duke Nukem Forever? No, not that one with the poo-throwing; the other one, the one people were excited about 12 years ago. The one in the 2001 trailer which appeared to offer endless impossible, fantastical things. By today’s standards, those things no longer seem impossible and quite a few them seem deeply unsavoury, but it remains a shame that the DNF we got was something entirely different. A group of modders have been busily attempting to rewrite history – by recreating the game that 2001 trailer suggested in good old Duke Nukem 3D. Given they suffered aa degree of 3D Realms-esque hubris in their struggle to finish the thing, are these the first Method Developers?

Compare and contrast this, from 11 years ago:

With this, Duke Nukem Forever 2013, which came out yesterday:

If you have indeed been waiting for a game with that stuff in since 2001, you do indeed now have it. I have played it. Those things are in it. They are only in it for as long as they are in the trailer, because DNF2013 can use only what voice clips already exist for. The rest of the game is, well, Duke Nukem 3D, with all its speed, magnificent level size and absurdity. It’s entertainingly ridiculous and brutal, in the way that DN3D is entertainingly ridiculous and brutal. There’s a whole lot of Vegas to run around being a psychopath in, and there are absolutely no minigames.

It makes some annoying boo-boos in terms of where it hides doors and vent shafts, but other than that I enjoyed myself 412% more than I did in 3D Realms/Gearbox’s grinding, sneering chore of a thing. DNF2013 is no work of wonder, but it is a romp – and that’s probably what bruised Duke fans want right now. It is, of course, fairly retrograde in its values. Whether it’s pastiche enough to get away with it isn’t something I want to be the adjudicator of today, it’s that ok.

You’ll need a copy of Duke Nukem 3D, or at least the DUKE3D.GRP file from it, and you’ll need this 30MB mod.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. kyrieee says:

Looks more fun than DNF

2. WoundedBum says:

I played some earlier and it’s fun.

I miss running and ridiculously high speeds and actually having to hold a button to go slower, rather than faster.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Play Warsow.

• markelven08 says:

up to I looked at the bank draft that said $5552, I be certain that my mom in-law truley making money parttime at there labtop.. there brothers friend has been doing this 4 only about 17 months and just now paid for the morgage on there mini mansion and got a great Volkswagen Golf GTI. read more at wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

3. PoulWrist says:

Best.

4. Rublore says:

Now when can we expect the 1998 version? (For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOPjBoClw0 )

5. Lagwolf says:

I was @ E3 for that promo & even have a pic with the “Duke Girls”. I remember waxing poetic about the new game for the site I was writing for…

Still we have Farcry 3: Blood Dragon.

6. Riaktion says:

I’ve only just noticed that Duke Nukem Forever is an acronym of DNF… which to me normally translates to “did not finish” in racing.

Quite apt.

7. Dowr says:

“When it’s done”. I paused the video and stared at that text for a few minutes, feeling depressed whilst doing so.

8. The Random One says:

The mod trailer didn’t show the donkey ride. If there’s not a section in which you shoot aliens from donekyback, they might not even have bothered.

9. Rao Dao Zao says:

And yet, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project was great fun. It had the right level of Dukism and sense of fun that DNF managed to squander on bad jokes, while playing as a great sidescroller instead of as a turgid regenerating-health shooter.

Those old trailers look immense, though. I think GoG gave me Duke3D for free so this might be worth a spin some time…

Anyway, DN:MP 2 plz.

10. phuzz says:

The first method devs would be the Black Mesa team, who finally managed to release after DNF came out.
    It’s funny how quickly you forget that “When Duke Nukem Forever is released” used to be the punchline to jokes.

11. engion3 says:

Every game I play I look to see if there is poo in the toliets. Not only did Duke Nukem have poo you could pick it up and throw it. Best game ever. (Doom 3 had a pretty meaty turd as well.)

12. ResonanceCascade says:

I would like to sue Gearbox because the version of Duke Nukem Forever was of significantly lower quality than the trailer from E3 2001.

13. TheIronSky says:

Oh man, I’ve been waiting for decades for this game to come out! You’d have thought someone would come by and try to make a modernized version by now… Oh well!

14. roryok says:

It’s a shame that Source Engine DNF Mod wasn’t allowed to continue. Imagine the marriage of this and that

15. sharkh20 says:

Oh how Booty Island has changed since the pirate days.

16. oldfart says:

The mod really looks fun, and that’s actually quite depressing, because I can’t help but think about what DNF could be in the right hands.

17. Razumen says:

Oh how I wished they had just finished the game that was shown in the 2001 trailer, damn that game looked fun.

Comment on this story