Overture: Blade Symphony Now On Steam Early Access

By Nathan Grayson on May 1st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Blade Symphony is the sort of name I can’t help but appreciate. It is blunt yet majestic, giving us a crimson-flavored taste of exactly what we’re going to get (swords!) paired with a certain high-class flourish, an alluring suggestion that this is far, far more than mere cyber-ninjas dueling each other into awesome giblets. One day, I will name my child Blade Symphony, I think. That way, no one – and I mean no one – will mistake what he or she is all about. For now, though, the videogame of my future offspring’s namesake is available for all to play via Steam’s early access program. The Jedi-Knight-II-inspired showdown sim will run you a few bucks, but it looks quite intriguing, to say the least.

Hm, the action looks a little robotic in places (not entirely surprising, given that it’s highly influenced by an older game) yet powerfully meaty. The way blows linger for just a moment – as if to say, “Hey, I totally just stabbed you, jerk” – is practically poetic.

Apparently, however, Blade Symphony is about as a far from a simple hack ‘n’ slash as you can get. Puny human developer Puny Human explained:

“Forget button mashing. This is the skillful duel game you’ve been waiting for.┬áPair your character up with a sword type to completely change your way of approaching combat. Fencing foils and sabres are great for parrying, feinting, and thrust attacks. The mighty Katana can slice up your opponents handedly by cutting multiple times over a single attack.”

“Every attack has openings that are determined in real-time and efficacy is entirely up to you. Did you start an attack too early? Turn away and end the attack in a safe location. Did your opponent stupidly use a lighter stance? Go in and punish him!”

Also of note: all unlockable upgrades are cosmetic only. Everything that plays any hand in match outcomes – swords, styles, stances – is yours from the get-go. The plan, then, is to create as even of a playing field as possible. Balance willing, only skill will prevail.

It’s hard not to like the sound of that, but lofty promises only mean so much until they can be tested with cold, unfeeling steel. Or your delicate and handsome hands, I suppose. Will you be taking up your blade and/or symphony and giving it a go?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fenixius says:

I’ve picked it up, but being an Australian, ping is an issue. Thankfully, there are a handful of Aussie servers! Now I just need some people on those servers to play against.

• baby snot says:

Buy me a copy and I will :p

• 123kings says:

You got yourself one more Aussie player, I just bought a copy.

• Starayo says:

I have too! Now I just need to find some time away from all this uni work…

• markelven08 says:

up to I looked at the bank draft that said $5552, I be certain that my mom in-law truley making money parttime at there labtop.. there brothers friend has been doing this 4 only about 17 months and just now paid for the morgage on there mini mansion and got a great Volkswagen Golf GTI. read more at wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

• Lazarus_Soma says:

Was going to pick it up next week when i have money and hopefully am no longer under the yoke of intenet cap D: But yes over here, yet another Aussie gamer to join you in the dance of blades :D

2. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Not really my cup of tea, but I wish the artists formerly known as Team Dystopia the best of luck. Can’t say I would have picked source for a multiplayer melee fighting game, but it seems to work alright for them.

3. defektiv says:

Sharp yet harmonius

4. Calabi says:

They say it isnt button mashy but it looks very button mashy.

• bees says:

Honestly, the opposite is the problem. Button mashing players are easy to punish, but players who are passive (only doing a thrust attack before running away) are usually very successful.

• The_Hunter says:

If it’s anything like the source version I played a year ago, it’s mouse gesture based so there really aren’t “buttons” to mash.

It’s could still be a twitch fest….

• Calabi says:

I dont know, the combat, just doesnt look right. There’s no tells or openings for the moves. The combat is fast paced but it doesnt look as if it has any flow or rhythm.

5. Delixe says:

Reminds me a lot of Bushido Blade. Colour me interested.

• SooSiaal says:

Hm, doesnt remind me of one of the best sword fighting games ever. If only there were some more sword fighting games where a chop to the head or heart instantly kills, and that reminds me…Whatever happened to that sword fighting kickstarter with people actually working on a sword controller?

• makute says:

Man, I played a lot of Bushido Blade back in the days. I hope this ends being half as good.

6. yesterdayisawadeer says:

Hm. Looks kinda meh. Try Warframe if you want high-paced ninja-guyver-with-katana action.

7. Feferuco says:

What song is that? Is that music from the game or somewhere else?

8. joelreyes says:

I simply got paid $6784 operating off my laptop computer this month. And if you’re thinking that that is cool, my unmarried friend has twin toddlers and revamped $9k her 1st month. It feels therefore sensible creating abundant|such a lot|most} cash once others have to be compelled to work for thus much less. this is often what I do, http://www.hdcash1.com

9. The Random One says:

Blade Symphony if it’s a boy, Symphony Blade if it’s a girl.

10. DanMan says:

I don’t like how the camera is glued to the ch. shoulders and how turning makes the whole world turn instantly. Ego-shooter controls don’t fit this type of game IMHO. Gotta say i’ve never liked Jedi Knight’s controls either.

11. Oshikai says:

Kinda bad game. You dont know what your sword will do when you press your mouse and theres no tutorial yet to help you learn. You basically depend on other players, which will most likely rape you on duels.
    Also theres the lag issue that makes you need to predict what will happen when you play.
    All in all, not like bushido and i wouldnt recommend this game.

12. CoryFuller says:

I further than doubtfulness revalue your articles and blogs.
    steam wallet generator