Shock And Rah, Rah, Rah – Call Of Duty: Ghosts Is Real

By Nathan Grayson on May 1st, 2013 at 10:30 pm.

This is now probably the world's wealthiest lower jaw model.

The moon follows the sun, the early bird gets the worm, the alienated orphan becomes a vigilante superhero, and there is a new Call of Duty. These are all natural processes that feed the cacophonous, utterly meticulous system that is life. Do not fear them, for without their clockwork-like churning, we would simply cease to be. So then, what exactly is Call of Duty: Ghosts? Well, it’s not Modern Warfare 4, for one. Infinity Ward’s developing again, but this time, it’s headed into sorta kinda vaguely new-ish territory I guess. Utterly insubstantial teaser thing (because ghosts, obviously; or the obnoxious, backward-building nature of hype cycles) and a scant few details after the break.

Gotta say, those other masks were a lot cooler than the cadre of codmen’s slapdash Halloween costumes. Then again, I suppose a giant colorful array of super sweet feathers or a full suit of plate armor would make for a rather obvious target. Kinda counterproductive to the whole “ghost” motif. LOOK AT ME I AM HAVING A REAL DISCUSSION ABOUT MASKS IN A VIDEOGAME TRAILER THIS IS MY LIFE.

Anyway. Activision and Infinity Ward are billing Ghosts as an “all-new world, story, characters, and experience,” in spite of the fact that these guys definitely look like they’re related to Ghost from Modern Warfare. The whole thing will also be powered by a brand new engine, seeing as it’ll be attempting to cater to both current and “next-gen” consoles. Obviously, it’s coming to PC too, but it probably won’t love us very much.

Apparently the real big reveal – like, with an actual videogame and stuff – will be held on May 21st to coincide with the new Xbox coming online (and maybe never going off). Until then, though, we know this much: Ghosts is launching on November 5th, and it’ll have men in masks. Will they dance? Will they do a series of hilarious celebrity impressions? Will they battle inner demons in an attempt to accept their own appearances, riddled with scars and shame though they might be?

Oh fine. They’ll probably shoot dudes. But can I at least hope that you’ll also be able to equip their guns with tiny masks of their own? Is that so much to ask?

, , .

1. Ultra Superior says:

Show me your WARFACE!

(There are those, who wear masks, to fuck anonymously)

Geez everything about this game is so unbelievably stupid.
    ‘Protect us all’

Go die in Syria, ghostfucks.

2. lijenstina says:

Spooky.

3. Brun says:

Masks are clearly Activision’s answer to Valve’s hats.

4. TheIronSky says:

Let me boot up BioShock: Infinite so I can ask Elizabeth to open up a tear to a universe where I might actually give a haply crap. Or at least one where Call of Duty doesn’t exist.

I can’t wait to listen to people who enjoy watching 6-hour animated gorefests that involve minimal player interaction try to tell me how real guns work.

I’ll stop getting myself worked up and listen to Jazz Boatman again.

DrScuttles says:

But what if Call Of Duty is a kind of arbitrary constant that exists in each and every universe? The horror.

• Pew pew LAZORS! says:

“6-hour animated gorefests that involve minimal player interaction”
      Oh man THIS, I totally agree BioShock: Infinite was sooooo overrated

• The Random One says:

I would resume playing CoD if my wartime slaughter was constantly stopped by Dapper Mysterious Gentleman and Dapper Mysterious Lady offering profound-sounding but utterly inane commentary.

5. Alexander says:

GHOSTFACE

So it has to include some form of drone warfare, because that’s the current norm. But what else? I guess we’ve passed the war on TERROR and nuclear war. What else is left? A, wait a minute… north korea, Iran and when these are done (after about 3-4 games) the occupation of US territory by its own gov. Or did I forget some other major threats? Oh, shit, I forgot China… so, yeah, I guess they have material for at least 6 more games. Those aliens should attack already, or the cod series might start feeling redundant… oh wait.

• Ultra Superior says:

Yup. ‘Civil war’ aka mowing disobedient Americans with machineguns mounted on DHS armored trucks. Don’t worry about ammo, DHS stock piled billions of hollow points.

It’s gonna be better than zombies!

But – first things first. There’s an unfinished al quaeda takeover in Syria and then there’s Iran – send for the ghosts.

strangeloup says:

Somehow I parsed that as DHL trucks, and imagined parcel logistics getting to be serious business in the future.

Gap Gen says:

I bet the NRA would sponsor a game where an evil US government is defeated by people with assault rifles that the government tried to ban.

6. SpoiledToast says:

It’ll be interesting to see what they will do with the new engine. About time too, really.

JiminyJickers says:

Oh dear.

8. Ny24 says:

Isn’t a discussion more like when people, you know, talk back?

9. Dowr says:

Usually I would give some snarky response to a Call of Duty reveal, but honestly folks I’m tired and getting old.

darkChozo says:

To quote the press release:

“Everyone was expecting us to make Modern Warfare 4, which would have been the safe thing to do. But we’re not resting on our laurels,” said Mark Rubin, executive producer of developer Infinity Ward. “We saw the console transition as the perfect opportunity to start a new chapter for Call of Duty. So we’re building a new sub-brand, a new engine, and a lot of new ideas and experiences for our players. We can’t wait to share them with our community.”

11. Larkington says:

The narrator’s voice sounds awfully familiar. I can’t quite place it, though. If I had to pick, it would be a poor man’s Nicolas Cage.

12. Paul says:

Must be so much fun cranking out the same game every year 6 years in a row.

13. Choca says:

Hey you never know, it might be a modern reenactment of Grim Fandango.

You play Chief Officier Manny Calavera.

Soldier.

Lover.

Grim Reaper.

14. Mephz says:

heh so they will be selling masks now ingame? :Þ

15. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

But does it have dedicated servers on PC……hmm let me guess!

16. Scumbag says:

One thing that seems to be a change:
    New Engine apparently? May look at it for that.

And that’s look at, not play.

• Lenderz says:

It’ll likely just be a slightly more heavily tweaked Quake 3 engine, don’t get too excited.

• Dave L. says:

Yeah, I sincerely doubt that they’ve had time to build a next gen engine from scratch AND a full game to go with it in the two years since MW3.

• Scumbag says:

I’m not sure where I read it, but it is supposed to be the tech powering this:

I know Nvidia showed this off and I REALLY doubt it’ll look like that in game, but it should be interesting if they finally do step away from that old Quake III tech.

17. noclip says:

The “pre-order now” at the end elevates this to a brilliant, scathing meta-commentary on the game industry.

18. Lucifa says:

Why has YouTube disabled dislikes of promotions from big corporations? Noticed this on a couple of profile videos now, the rating system but all have tens of thousands of likes vs zero dislikes. Pretty shadey stuff.

• Lucifa says:

Uhhh hang on, appears they load after the video finishes. Still, they become absent again if you refresh.

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s Google, so I’m not quite sure what you’re expecting.

19. Upper Class Twit says:

ruh roh

20. Caiman says:

This news is about as exciting as the announcement of the new Die Hard movie!

*crickets*

• kud13 says:

Well, if the Die Hard movies follow the current trend, Die Hard 6 should see John McLane be reunited with his estranged ex-wife. That would be a good way to end the series, before the inevitable reboot without Bruce WIllis

I have some slight interest in that. As opposed to none wrt CoD

21. Beernut says:

Somehow, I don’t think that this is going to be a game about the ghost division (which would bring the series back to its WW2-roots). But I certainly wouldn’t mind. :D

22. Josh W says:

I really wish this was actually called “Call of Duty: Ghosts is Real!”

23. rspade says:

I can’t believe no one’s said it yet? Well here goes… MASKFACE!
    There we go.

24. junglist 69 says:

I mask not fall for the inane and predictable hype that is about to take place for this game!!!!

• The Random One says:

Unfortunately, millions of people war going to.

(Wow, that’s an incredibly awful pun. Whatever, CoD deserves no better.)

25. Syphus says:

So wait…Starcraft: Ghost is real?

26. Srgramrod says:

Being an old Call of Duty fan (i really only played cod 3 & 4, and stopped buying them after black ops) this game quite intrigued me. With the announcement of a new engine (hopefully a full restart from ground-up and not just a reboot of a previous one like they always do) and a story line involving Ghost i am already deciding on whether or not to buy this. From the teaser I got an impression that Ghost as we know came from a ‘Ghost’ Squad before joining with Soap and the crew from MW2, if that is so, then this will be a VERY interesting storyline to play through.

Henke says:

Yeah I liked the Ghost character in MW2. Kinda hoping this entry will focus on more stealthy gameplay actually.

27. Slinkyboy says:

Was the Samurai a white guy? That shit was stupid

28. Phasma Felis says:

That trailer wasn’t supposed to make me laugh, was it?

29. Milky1985 says:

Was that teaser meant to be saying that theses Ghosts are some form of special task force in an army, maybe they are focused on recon, or was it implying that in this game you will be shooting a bunch of people who can’t fight back and are armed with swords and spears, because that is kinda the impression I got from it.

The series fans would probably love it either way tbh :/

Jackablade says:

What’s that scary monster mask guy with the long fingers? I’m assuming he’s some kind of historical combatant like the rest.

maninahat says:

“In this trailer, we’ll show you a bunch of exciting, colourful and multicultural warriors…and in the game, you’ll be playing yet another merkin soldier…but this time, he’s wearing a children’s balaclava…like in the previous MW games.”