InSpired: Tower Of Guns Trailer

By Craig Pearson on May 2nd, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Blammo times 1000
I’ve had a soft spot for towers ever since John’s dad built one for our house cat, Dexter. Dexter would stand atop this tower of terror, swiping at passing people and planes, imagining himself as a terrifying, scarifying monster. So Tower of Guns has a small advantage, in that it just reminded me of my cat. But the rest, a randomly-generated FPS aiming to be the FTL of shooters, is worth paying attention to as well.

There’s a neat atmosphere in the short trailer. It reminded me a little of Tiny and Big (particularly those enemies at the end that run up and, er, ‘love’ at you) mixed with Borderlands in a Quake environment. It has a nice, sketchy style. The Borderlands connection is stronger in the game, which is apparently filled with random enemies, powerups, levels, and of course the guns. It is a tower of them after all, and you’re able to tweak your arsenal as you see fit. Find a “shotgun” modifier while you’re carrying a rocket-launcher? The game won’t stop you combining them. Though it wouldn’t be proper to do so, you scamp.

Everything is random because everything is fleeting. It’s being designed to be played in a single-sitting, with subsequent returns providing different challenges. I know it works in FTL, but wonder if it works for a shooter?

Apparently it’ll be out sometime before the next Thief game, to allow the developer to take time off to play that without feeling guilty about it. It’s a one-man developer, so he can do that. It’s also on Greenlight, should you wish to encourage him there.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

On the one hand, I think this is an excellent idea for a game.

On the other hand, I now want a game about a cat on a tower. Possibly featuring my own cat, Earl Grey.

2. Larkington says:

This game seems to really step it up.

3. Dominic White says:

It looks/sounds a lot like Gentrieve 2, only with real art and design instead of trying to bodge through with procedural generation and programmer-art all the way.

4. devlocke says:

YOUR cat? I was under the impression Dexter was John’s cat. Has he been misleading the Rum Doings/botherer.org audience all these years? :)

5. NothingFunny says:

Looks and sounds awesome. Put it on my wishlist right away!

6. Terragot says:

Ah, similar design concept to my own She Saw Valkyries http://www.indiedb.com/games/she-saw-valkyries). Although I’m redesigning how the procedural genration works, as the last bash at it was more Smash TV and now it’s more Quake.

Look forward to seeing how he balances the weapon system!

• tangoliber says:

Looks cool, and I hope you finish yours. (As I hope the Tower of Guns developer finishes his.) Quake is a great foundation for roguelike FPS gameplay. Curious about the quote in one of the screenshots… is your procedural generation pulling random quotes from some text?

FPS/roguelike hybrids are what I really look forward to in the future. I love to play Doom with randomly generated levels, and Paranautical Activity is great as well. Can’t wait to see more projects get released.

7. Eclipse says:

The fact that there are traps and you look quite tiny reminds me of the good old Montezuma’s Return.
    That game was GREAT, it was very arcade-y but still had a great indiana jones atmosphere, and very good graphics for the time (I’m talking about 3dfx era).

8. Siimon says:

That trailer was odd, maybe it was the humdrum music and the lack of SFX… But the biggest issue is: I can’t even tell if I’m attacking and buying allied robots to help me attack, or if I’m defending from attacking robots in this game? Most enemies seemed to explode on random and that was little shooting at anything.. Someone enlighten me?

9. frightlever says:

FTL is basically resource management, as are most rogue-likes. Here the resources will be, presumably, Health, Armour, Stamina and ammo. Possibly power-ups. I can see that working. Hmm.

There’s an element of resource management in Shootmania, with limited energy for shots. Works well there.

Comment on this story