A Jurassic Lark: The Stomping Land Trailer

By Craig Pearson on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Dino-corrrrrr
You know me. You know I love games with dinosaurs. I think I was born in the wrong time period. I’m more of a late-period cretaceous type of guy. Don’t believe what those “scientists” would have you believe. People and dinosaurs did live at the same time, as evidenced by the totally fact-based multiplayer dino-hunting game, The Stomping Land. See those hunters? See those dinos? I rest my case. Games One, Science Zuheero. Take a look at the trailer. It has traps, and at one point the guy pole-vaults a stegosaurus.

Let’s play the ‘ignore the alpha assets’ game, shall we? Those dinos might look like they’ve been made of the same material as Army Men, but there’s only so much a prototype game can do. Instead I’m going to coo at the hunty bits, where the buff scavenger uses his bow and arrow to drop a dino, then has to yank the meats off before the bigger lizards come in. How to stop that from creating a dino-feast while you get naught?

Traps.

There aren’t enough games with traps, so seeing the menu pop up in the trailer made my finger hover over the ‘Yes’ thumb on Greenlight. Then the hunter ran into a herd of dinosaurs, leading a flock into a larger flock as a distraction. And then he vaulted a stegosaurus. I mentioned multiplayer: it’s a tribal game, so the other way to survive is to raid other tribes for meat and supplies, while growing your own. I bloody well clicked that Greenlight button. I can only encourage such historically accurate stick-wielding.

I am currently preparing a loincloth for cosplay.

, , .

1. jesemain06 says:

If you think Patrick`s story is impressive…, five weaks-ago my son in law earnt $8989 workin 40 hours a month from their apartment and the’re neighbor’s mom`s neighbour done this for 3 months and made more than $8989 parttime on there pc. apply the guidelines on this site wow65.com
    (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. toastie says:

Grand Theft Dino

3. Bobka says:

Actually looks surprisingly slick, for a random indie game. Multiplayer’s not my cup of tea, but I’ll keep an eye on this one.

I can’t wait for people to start making more paleontologically correct dinosaur movies/games, though. I wants me some feathered dinosaurs!

• Mollusc Infestation says:

More feathered dinosaurs! If this game lets you walk about and gawk at a functioning mesozoic ecosystem, then real life can do one. You’ll find me elbow deep in virtual hadrosaur dung.

Simplisto says:

Yeah… I’m buying that.

I’m hoping the final game with feature some more accurate depictions of dinosaurs though. And fire. Lots of fire.

5. spunkify says:

Shouldn’t be called a flare. That sounds way too modern. Flame arrow or something like that would sound better.

6. Antsy says:

Looks like it’s going Turok!

• Revolving Ocelot says:

I hope not. Possibly the worst next-gen reboot that’s ever been made. A real cerebral bore.

7. guygodbois00 says:

Looks original and very playable. Alas, it is not single player and I’m not much into multiplayering shenanigans these days. Nevertheless, hope it succeeds. Best of luck and all that.

• GriffinPuncher says:

I’d actually be quite surprised if this did not have a single-player mode. It would be foolish not to have on. It seems similar to terraria ore minecraft in that way.

8. Curundir says:

I smell a creationist plot. You’ll see, this studio’s next game will probably be about shooting scientists.

• Syra says:

Creationists wouldn’t make a game about dinosaurs, don’t be silly, they didn’t exist – the devil just put the bones in the ground to test your faith… and you have been found wanting!

• PoLLeNSKi says:

It seemed so plausible – damn prankster god fucking with my head.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Oh, but they do confirm their existance! They can even explain precisely how they got extinct and why there are so many legends of fire-spitting dragons all over the world. Because dragons are remnant dinosaurs who have trouble breathing properly!

The whole truth right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9w26JXXpWU

9. derbefrier says:

a survival game that isnt about zombies but dinosaurs!!!! I cant vote for this fast enough.

10. TsunamiWombat says:

awww yis

11. Brad Grenz says:

Better change your headline before you hear from Patrick Klepek and CBSi’s lawyers!

12. KirbyEvan says:

Looks great, but where’s the feathers?

If there’s two things I cherish in this life it’s 99 cent cheeseburgers and feathered dinosaurs!

• KwisatzHaderach says:

And huge dino-burgers! They should taste like chicken!

13. SuicideKing says:

Someone should make a game called Dinos in Space.

My favourite would be the Lunasaur.

• Frisky Dingo says:

Only if David Bowie did the soundtrack. Then the lunasaurs would have the power of ten thousand suns and rule the galaxies and stuff.

14. Rollin says:

But where are the female characters in loincloths!? RPS missed a chance to uncover blatant sexism again.

15. davorschwarz says:

i dont care untill i see some real creativity like something truly unique like say ZOMBIE NAZI DINOSAURS how awesome would that be rotting dinosaur corpses with tiny armbands for their tiny arms with tiny nazi svasticas wearing black boots – are you listening ubisoft? i want blood nazi zombie dragon
    come on kick starters

16. DestructibleEnvironments says:

IS THIS LIKE THE GAME B.C. BY LIONHEAD? THE ONE THAT GOT CANCELLED.

Edit: The fact that it’s a MP game makes me sad. BC sounded like the best game of all time.

17. GovernorOstrich says:

Hey guys, the Kickstarter went live today. If you like what you see here, show your support!