The Long-Lost Bunnies Of X-COM

By Alec Meer on May 3rd, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Next week, the missing sea monkeys of Terror From The Deep

I need to set aside a couple of hours to have a thorough read of Julian Gollop’s ongoing design plans for his Chaos remake – he’s sharing a remarkable amount on his Gollop Games blog. Today though, I take the easy route – monkey see previously unrevealed concept art for the original X-COM/UFO, monkey must post about it. Because said concept art features, as well as some very different looks for X-COM’s familiar rogues gallery (e.g. what I think might be an Ethereal design has big thighs) there are some never-before-seen additions. Including what appears to be a giant mutant rabbity thing.

Julian Gollop doesn’t provide too much detail on the what, why, whatever happened for these creatures, although apparently there was GDC talk in which more was explained. Oh good, now I have reason #456546541351512513 to be depressed about not going to GDC. In comments he does provide an explanation for the less monstrous type of bunny on show, however:

“John [I am guessing Reitze, one of X-COM's artists] made some animations of bunnies being squashed with showers of blood and guts. Maybe he has a thing about fluffy bunnies.”

I think I’m glad X-COM didn’t feature bunny mutilation, in hindsight. The cows were more than enough. I’d have loved an expansion which contained some of the other unused aliens, however. Modders, the gauntlet is thrown.

There are two more screens of new/old aliens on Gollop Games’ site, which you should most certainly go eyeball if X-COM is one of ‘your’ games.

Also, is that a… Lemming on the lower left? What a crossover that would have been, eh?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. LionsPhil says:

The presence of Lemmings™ just makes me think of some kind of Lemmings 3D-style game where you have to tactically direct bombers into aliens, or capture them by surrounding them with blockers.

At least if they panic the only thing they know how to do is keep walking straight ahead.

• jesemain06 says:

If you think Patrick`s story is impressive…, five weaks-ago my son in law earnt $8989 workin 40 hours a month from their apartment and the’re neighbor’s mom`s neighbour done this for 3 months and made more than $8989 parttime on there pc. apply the guidelines on this site wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. Hodge says:

Happy to see that Guile Haircut Guy was present and correct right from the start.

3. Captain Joyless says:

Bunnies are evil.

Just sayin’

4. Vurp says:

If you never played the original x-com it is a game that I can still recommend. Nowadays there is a source port of the game that is really close to reaching “stable” version.

5. MadMatty says:

interesting blog, yes youre right Gollop. Caught me thinking of the experiences ive had with Magic The Gathering, vs Spectromancer… spectromancer is a randomized deck thinghy… magic is, pay 100$ for cards each year or die

6. Wahngrok says:

Here is the GDC X-COM post mortem: http://youtu.be/LP7VjbuNEzg

7. MattMk1 says:

Looks like they had Robocop in there as well.

8. Frisky Dingo says:

The bunnies can go pound sand. What about the nude women? What are their special abilities? What sort of vessel would they frolic about in?

So much is lost to time, so much.

Comment on this story