The RPS Bargain Bucket: Cut Off

By Lewie Procter on May 4th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Have you all learned your lesson that you shouldn’t buy games unless you wait until I’ve told you to yet? Not if you want to get the maximum possible amount of games for your money, that is. As every other weekend, here’s my roundup of the best temporary discounts for you to consider purchasing, and you can rely on SavyGamer.co.uk for updates on the cheapest games across all platforms throughout the week. Here’s the RPS bargain bucket:

Civilization 5 & XCOM: Enemy Unknown – £11.42
Apply coupon “GFDMAY20UK”. Registers on Steam.
Pretty excellent price for two solid games here, although it’s a shame that neither of the Civ5 expansions are included. Here’s what Alec thought of Firaxis’s reboot of X-Com:

This isn’t a matter of a starving man grateful for the slimmest of pickings. XCOM is a bounteous strategy/roleplaying feast, and I’m not particularly dismayed that a couple of the side-dishes taste a bit suspect. It’s a triumph that XCOM even exists, so that it’s also bloody brilliant and thoroughly modern with it excites me to introverted core. X-COM’s tiny, precious world has seen many unwelcome invaders over the years, but trust me – this one comes in peace.

More here.

Sonic Generation & Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed – £7.99
Apply coupon “GFDMAY20UK”. Registers on Steam.
For my money, All-Stars Racing: Transformed is the more fitting tribute to Sega’s heritage in this package. It’s packed with characters, items and locations from a broad selection of Sega’s popular and lesser known games. It’s also a more than competent kart racer, with controls that feel somewhere between Outrun and Mario Kart. Sonic Generations, despite superficially resembling the 16-bit Sonic games half of the time, actually moves and plays more like the modern 2D Sonic games. Read wot Adam thought of Sonic Generations here, although I disagree with him because he likes it.

Scribblenauts Unlimited – £5.75
Pretty sure this registers on Steam.
Here’s wot John thought of this bizarre imagination-fueled puzzle platformer:

Unlimited is an odd title, as if anything this is the most focused series has ever tried to be. But let me clarify – it’s not restrictive – you can still make anything, at any point, and watch the purposes of a location collapse under the awesomeness of your daft ideas. But its intentions are more focused, the challenges it presents designed to inspire you to solve specific problems, as obviously or imaginatively as you see fit. The unlimited nature is really trying to hint that the game is now set in a sprawling, open world.

Read the rest here.

Dead Island: Riptide – £17.99
Registers on Steam.
Not played it. Don’t really want to play it. Luckily Jim has played it already, and he wrote down some words about wot he thought about it:

Dead Island: Riptide carries a mysterious virus that it is tough to cure: boringness. It’s a virus that it and its predecessor will no doubt transmit to other games, thanks to being so successful. Game designers will assume that This Is What They Want, and make more of its like. But I’ve killed a lot of zombies in my time, and this was no highlight in the struggle against the digital dead. I could say this in more flowery ways, and I could spend more time glossing over the bones of it, but in all honesty I feel like there’s so much else humankind needs to play. There’s so much else you could spend your money on. Yes, zombie slaughter is quite funny, and better with friends, but this game is not enough. Perhaps it never was.

Carry on reading here.

Deal of the week
Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri – £1.54/€1.82/$2.39
The best game? Maybe. Here’s what a handsome, strong and intelligent gentleman going by the name of Lewie said about Alpha Centauri in his retrospective:

On a hostile planet, the rest of humanity left behind, you forge a brand new civilisation in your image. You’re cut off from earth’s legal and justice system. There are no consequences for your actions beyond how your fellow factions respond. You’re a long way from home, and it’s up to you whether you stick to any UN agreements signed on Earth. It’s Lord of the Flies by way of Isaac Asimov. Anything can happen at the edge of space. Who knows what kind of weaponry your neighbour might be developing? Perhaps you’d better strike first.

More here. When originally released on GOG, this was missing the Alien Crossfire expansion, but between now and when I last checked they appear to have added it at no extra cost.

Also of note:
Back to the Future: The Game, Cargo Commander, Dungeon Hearts, International Snooker, Micron, Pid & The Sea Will Claim Everything – £3.71/€4.40/$5.77 at time of writing. Back to the Future: The Game, Cargo Commander, Dungeon Hearts & Pid register on Steam.
EA Promo at GOG
Damnation, Jericho, Maelstrom: The Battle for Earth Begins, Overlord & Raising Hell, Overlord 2 & Rise of the Argonauts – £8.02/€9.53/$12.49. Registers on Steam.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver – 99p
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 – 99p
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 – 99p
Legacy of Kain: Defiance – 99p
Final Fantasy VII – £4.99
Quantum Conundrum – £2.49. Registers on Steam.
Just Cause 2 – £2.49. Registers on Steam.
Sleeping Dogs [Limited Edition] – £4.99. Registers on Steam.
Cave Story+ – £3.49/€4.99/$4.99
Stealth Bastard Deluxe – £3.49/€4.49/$4.99
Borderlands 2 – £7.12/€9.50/$9.50. Apply coupon “elder-geek.com”. Registers on Steam.
Splinter Cell Collection – £8.30/€11.87/$14.24. Apply coupon “elder-geek.com”.
Bleed – Pay What You Want

For more cheap games, head over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. The_B says:

Can confirm Scribblenauts registers on Steam, got it myself last night. (In fact, requires it.)

2. Commander Gun says:

Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri (SMAC) is imho indeed the best game ever, barring none. It has good strategy combined with an excellent story. Some quotes are very memorable, and the different factions have a very good flavor to them. I once wrote a whole essay on why this game is the best there is ever was, but can’t find it on my drive atm :(
    Anyway, buy it, you won’t regret it!!!

• Fanbuoy says:

Question: Civ in space? Or is there more to it? Is it entirely different? I played a demo of it as a wee lad, said “Uh… what?” and left it. No recollection of the game.

• HadToLogin says:

Well, in most short words, yup. And while saying that, you probably couldn’t be more wrong :P

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Not in space at all.
        Civ on another planet.
        At the end of a Civ game you can win by creating a rocket and leaving the planet. SMAC is a sequel that starts when the spaceship crashes on a planet in the Alpha Centauri system, scattering leaders who start new Civs on this planet. So no historical stuff, everything’s fictional, which allows more of a story and more character for the leaders. It also has better units…tech leads to discovering components instead of new units, so instead of researching a new tank, you get a new cannon that you put on your tanks, for example.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Also the planet has a lot of character to it in ways that could never happen on Civ’s randomly generated “Earth”

• Tams80 says:

Ah yes, but the core gameplay is the same as Civ. If you don’t like Civ that much, CMAC may still not please you as at its heart the concepts are the same even though it is quite different.

• Grey Poupon says:

Researching unit components instead of static units changes the core gameplay quite a bit to the better imo. Though after you’re done with that, it’s pretty much the same.

Wouldn’t say it’s the best game ever, but it is the best Civ game ever. So it’s quite high up there.

• Yosharian says:

IMO it’s not as good as Civ 4, but it’s quite an interesting take on the genre, if a little dated now.

If you haven’t played Civ 4 I’d recommend that instead.

• Captain Joyless says:

It’s definitely not as tight as Civ 4; there are a lot of broken strategies in SMAC.

Nevertheless, no game ever did so much with a tech tree. It’s actually a game that’s about something.

• LionsPhil says:

I personally put SMAC and Civ4 both as different highpoints of the series.

If we ever get a SMAC2 to Civ4′s level of love and polish, I may never sleep again.

• Lanfranc says:

The entire EA promo is a rather tragic reminder of all the good games EA used to publish. O tempora, o mores…

• lomaxgnome says:

I thought sure Alpha Centauri’s terrain changing would become standard in the genre, and yet all these years have gone by and I don’t know of a single other game that has done it.

• guygodbois00 says:

This, verbatim.

• Setroc says:

Yep, I agree on this too, but I’d also add the unit creation to this. having modular units where you researched the individual sections was really fantastic fun, and didn’t break any unit strategy.

The other stand out thing is the story and of course the characters. I can understand why others have not attempted to recreate this part though, because (a) it’s obviously impossible in a historical setting and (b) they got it so right, it would surely be difficult to pull off, and maybe impossible to surpass.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I missed Alpha Centauri, so The Fall From Heaven (II?) mod for Civ 4 was were I first ran into a proper terraforming system. I now weep for every civalike that doesn’t have forest fires. :(

• KafFiend says:

SMAC feature I thought would become standard for the genre: right-click on build queue, choose to save or load.

It let you queue the buildings for a 50-100 city faction easily. And considering SMAC’s core mechanics favoured infinite city creep style expansion it helps a lot.

Oooh there’s another feature of SMAC – the encyclopedia detailed all the formulas used to work out everything from taxes to pollution.

• jekesheraf05 says:

If you think Patrick`s story is impressive…, five weaks-ago my son in law earnt $8989 workin 40 hours a month from their apartment and the’re neighbor’s mom`s neighbour done this for 3 months and made more than $8989 parttime on there pc. apply the guidelines on this site wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

• Guzzleguts says:

When the Spartans attacked me my Gaian allies helped to defend my land.
      In no other game have my allies ever truly helped me. At best they just don’t attack, and even then it’s usually only for a few turns.

3. Malibu Stacey says:

Just Cause 2 for £2.50 is impossible not to recommend. So much fun.

Bought Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole Deluxe earlier in the week, seems pretty fun so far but I’ve only done the first ‘tutorial’ chapter (8 levels) so far & haven’t got to any of the extra toys yet so I expect it’ll get even more fun as I progress. Great game if you like a platformer which relies as much on you thinking your way through as it does your reflexes.

• Loopy says:

Yeah I’ve had my eye on it for a long time, but at that price I finally couldn’t resist and went and bought Just Cause 2, it registered on Steam without an issue too. :)

• Yosharian says:

Just Cause 2 is ok if you can completely ignore the fact that the main story is complete and utter shite. The actual guns blazing, blowing shit up part of the game is quite fun, if a little purposeless.

• phelix says:

At least the story doesn’t take itself serious, and in fact it really fits the entire tone of the game.

• malkav11 says:

Entirely purposeless, more like. I mean, you can pull some fun stunts and the sheer chaos of destruction is fun for a little while, but it gets repetitive really really quickly. And the actual missions are sparse, poorly written, and not a great deal more interesting. It’s definitely worth a look on the cheap for the few hours of fun that can be extracted from it (I myself got ~15 or so), but in my estimation it’s not the joyous anarchic paradise some make it out to be and there are far better open world games out there.

• Yosharian says:

Yes, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I think it was interesting to play in a ‘hmm this gameplay would be great if it was attached to a proper game’ sort of way.

• The Random One says:

That’s exactly why this is a great price for it. If you ignore the story (as you should) JC2 is just a blowing up stuff simulator, and a blowing up stuff simulator is worth at least £3. So you’re getting it at a discount!

• dE says:

I must admit, I never quite understood comments like these. The story sets out to be a best off action movie and achieves exactly that. With the underlying over the top gameplay, what kind of story do you expect? I’m serious, do tell how JC2 could have had a “better story”, without it becoming an entirely different game?
          And I pray it’s not “more serious”, because if one thing can get the fuck out of gaming, it’s serious. Sam too.

• bigjig says:

Hear hear. I’m sick of everyone equating “serious”, “gritty” and “realistic”, as something that makes a game automatically better.

• malkav11 says:

Better writing and characterization, more and more elaborate setpiece encounters, etc. And by better I don’t mean deep or gritty. It’s the difference between -being- a bad action movie and -sending up- a bad action movie.

• LionsPhil says:

Gotta agree with dE. JC2′s missions are all “here is a situation straight out of an action movie, take the controls, go play it”. This is exactly what I want from such a game.

The whole “cause chaos” completion thing can become grind, sure, but just don’t do it once you’re bored of blowing up water towers and ter—scaring the local population into changing their political beliefs. Head to those side mission markers and go get embroiled in a car chase.

• Freud says:

Just Cause 2 is a game that becomes more fun by cheating so you can just focus on destruction. I used infinite ammo and a mod that did something about enemy reinforcement. I think it increased the threat level at a lower pace so you didn’t get swarmed by helicopters instantly.

4. Yosharian says:

“Have you all learned your lesson that you shouldn’t buy games unless you wait until I’ve told you to yet?”

Good god that is a horrible sentence

Very tempted by Sleeping Dogs.

• Fanbuoy says:

I’m still not sure if I read it correctly.

• misterT0AST says:

The problem is that it’s very complex in the tense of the verbs:
      “have you learned that you shouldn’t buy unless you wait until I’ve told you yet”
      have you learned (in the past)
      that you shouldn’t buy games(ever)
      unless you wait (present)
      until I’ve told you (a sort of future perfect)
      yet (implies a parallel between past and present OR future and present, depending on the sentence)
      It’s basically a rollercoaster of time.

Then there is the fact that it basically says “don’t buy UNTIL you wait UNTIL I told you to”.
      “Wait until you wait until we tell you”.

A simpler phrasing would’ve been:
      “Have you all learned your lesson that you shouldn’t buy games until I’ve told you to?”
      Ditching the whole “waiting” part.
      It sounds more authoritarian and imposing, but it’s ironic, so I don’t think it matters.

• Aardvarkk says:

The phrase “As every other weekend, here’s my roundup..” threw me off and had me thinking Lewie was going to publish the Bargain Bucket bi-monthly now.

• The Random One says:

No, no, the problem is semantical, not temporal. The first sentence is “have you learned yet” so you go down submissive clauses (or whatever the hell those are called in Englishe Grammare) and then at the end the word ‘yet’ brings you back to the first one and you stare at it dumbfounded while trying to understand its context. Notice how this small change improves the sentence: “have you learned yet that you shouldn’t buy unless you wait until I’ve told you?”

• sweetjer says:

Really, you’re both half-right. The best edit which would maintain the original intention of the sentence would be a combination of your analyses. The problem with The Random One’s version is that “unless you wait” is still made essentially redundant by “until.” The word until really does imply “unless you wait.” Therefore, I think the best edit would read simply: “have you learned yet that you shouldn’t buy until I’ve told you to?” That way we’re preserving the tone of the sentence while eliminating the strange contextualization of “yet” as well as the aforementioned redundancy in the original version. All in all, good show, though.

• Morte66 says:

Sleeping Dogs got cheap real quick for a game people seemed to like somewhat.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

They must be finished with support and patches? Is it an offline only single player game?

• Yosharian says:

I’ll pop back in a bit and let you know what I think of it, downloading it now.

• tobecooper says:

Well, yes it is offline only single player, but with a ton of various DLCs. They’ve got every possible type of it too. You want more missions? No problemo! More story? There it is. More cars, weapons, fighting styles, clothes, abilities and, of course, cheats. It must be quite lucrative. To be honest, I’ve been thinking about throwing some money on these DLCs too.

The normal edition of the game is extremely enjoyable, polished and well-rounded. It’s got combat like in Batman games, racing like in NFS game and running like in AssCreed, plus the storyline straight from a Hong Kong flick. I doubt GTA5 will beat it in the gameplay department.

• Tams80 says:

Couldn’t have summed it up better.

It doesn’t do anything brilliantly, rather a lot of things mediocre – well. Some consider the driving ‘mushy’ for instance, but as it is an open world game, it doesn’t need to have super duper, uber fantastic driving (or for anything else either). As long as, as a whole it all gels together well, which it does; then it’s a good game.

Offering more of the same experience is good as well.

• The Random One says:

A true sucessor to GTAIII, then?

• Tams80 says:

I haven’t played much GTA III, so my opinion may be wrong.

I’d say GTA III is more open, while Sleeping Dogs has a better story (not a great one, but good enough). The fighting in Sleeping Dogs is much better (one of it’s main selling points). Sleeping Dogs is more focussed, though still an open world game (it has hints of Just Cause 2 in it).

For under a fiver you really can’t go wrong with it and if you like Hong Kong crime fiction then you’ll have a ball.

• Martel says:

Good description. I loved it, even if there wasn’t anything about it that I would call perfection, but it all flowed together to make a good game.

• Yosharian says:

Ok so I’ve spent a few hours in the game, seems pretty tight so far. The story seems ok, the characters are quite interesting and the VA is pretty good, nothing special but not bad. The graphics are good and not overly demanding. Combat is solid, if a little easy at the moment (press dodge anytime anyone attacks you = god mode, essentially). It’s not quite the well-oiled machine that is Arkam Asylum’s combat, but it’s not far off, and definitely fun.

I’m hoping it’ll get a bit harder, but apart from that seems like a very solid investment for a fiver.

edit: One extra thing to note is that the FOV is really low and the camera sucks while driving

• HadToLogin says:

Well, SE has money problems, and they know when something doesn’t sell in digital world, you put -50%+ stamp on it and “here comes money”.

• Radiant says:

Should be:

“Have you learned your lesson? You shouldn’t buy games until I’ve told you to”

or:

“Wait for me bitchez; I’ve got knives, guns, gold watches, baby pee, passports all on sale. There not going cheap. We’re on a boat.”

• Eek the Cat says:

Thanks guys. What was I saying again? Oops.

5. Triplanetary says:

Wow, this is the cheapest I’ve seen Sleeping Dogs yet. I might actually buy it this time!

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Best to just let it lie.

• DarkMalice says:

Barking up the wrong tree with that one.

• Revolving Ocelot says:

Sleeping Dogs was £1-2 or so at the Steam Xmas sale. Was unfortunately an obvious error, but for the hour that SD stayed at that price my Steam friends activity feed transformed into a hive mind.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Be warned that Steam — for some bizarre reason or another — pre-installs all of the DLC packs even if you haven’t purchased any of them. That means you’ll be getting around 12GB of game regardless of what you can actually play. That’s also led to some content conflicts for some users where items like vehicles and costumes don’t even show up in the game. And the social hub doesn’t work for some people, if that’s something you’d normally be concerned about.

Fantastic game though, especially with the HD patch.

• Yosharian says:

“That’s also led to some content conflicts for some users where items like vehicles and costumes don’t even show up in the game.”

Can you explain? Why would DLC packs cause conflicts?

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’ve never experienced it personally, but apparently purchasing one of the “combo” packs (not sure which one exactly) causes random items from the other DLC packs to disappear completely from the game. Users who have blocked Steam from updating the game haven’t run into this problem, so it’s been surmised that the pre-installation process is the source of the conflict.

There are at least three threads in the Community forums highlighting the issue in greater detail, so you can check there if you’re interested in getting a more coherent description.

• TechnoJellyfish says:

“Be warned that Steam — for some bizarre reason or another — pre-installs all of the DLC packs even if you haven’t purchased any of them. That means you’ll be getting around 12GB of game regardless of what you can actually play.”

I cannot confirm this. My installation is about 6.8 GB in size and only the files that correspond with the 4 DLC’s that came with the Limited Edition are present.

• Davie says:

I kind of feel like that deal exists to teach us Americans the pain of region-locked content. Damn the digital oceans.

• Triplanetary says:

If you’re referring to the current deal on Square’s site, it’s on sale here in the US too. (I’m American, yo.) It’s $7.50 on the North American Square store.

6. Yosharian says:

You’d have to pay me to play Borderlands 2.

• Ross Angus says:

I’ve just bought it, because I liked the first one. Why is this a mistake? (genuine inquiry!)

• belgand says:

Personally I’d say it’s a mistake not to wait until the “version with all the DLC in” comes out. Especially since they’ve released DLC with extra characters and raising the level cap and such.

• Ross Angus says:

Good point. I was a little burnt out by the original by the end, so I didn’t miss the DLC.

• malkav11 says:

Which is a pity – Gearbox definitely got better at doing Borderlands as they went along, and while obviously engine limitations keep the BL1 DLC from being up to par with BL2, they’re mostly better than the base game. Except for the mysterious and unwise decision to have each of them based around a single teleport point. Since those are where you spawn when you load a save, this means significant ground retreading if you don’t play the DLCs in a single sitting. But really, the problem is the way Borderlands saving works, not the DLCs per se, and unfortunately that’s one element of the design (along with the equally mystifying decision to hold the skill tree until level 6) that doesn’t change between the two games.

• malkav11 says:

It isn’t. Borderlands 2 is everything you enjoyed about the first game, but better in pretty much every way. Funnier, more prevalent writing, more interesting and amusing quest design, much more varied and enjoyable guns, a wider color palette, a much more robust skill tree, more types of secondary gear, an arguably more sensible approach to upgrading your inventory, multiplayer connectivity that’s so much better I could kiss them, a much improved awareness of proper PC porting technique, level scaling that’s not as much of a PITA anymore…

• Ross Angus says:

Wow. I thought the RPS review was a little luke-warm, after their enthusiasm for the first one. But I’m looking forward to Anthony Burch’s writing. Perhaps the quest log will be worth while reading this time.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Handsome Jack gives some of the best taunts since GLaDOS.

• malkav11 says:

To an extent. But more importantly, all of the quests involve regular radio chatter so you don’t have to read the quest text to receive the majority of the humor. And yeah, Handsome Jack is pretty great in his own inestimable way.

• Revolving Ocelot says:

Borderlands 2 is good, sure. But it was made with stolen money. Gearbox don’t deserve any more.

• tormos says:

Howso? Is this about that time when their stormtroopers kidnapped you and forced you to buy Colonial Marines at gunpoint?

• Revolving Ocelot says:

I don’t own Aliens Colonial Marines, but the point is that Gearbox used the budget granted to them by Sega for BL2 instead of A:CM. And then the latter turned out to be shit.

• tormos says:

Evidence?
            EDIT for clarity:
            I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next fellow, but you, Mr/ms Ocelot, are the first person i’ve heard suggest this. Wouldn’t they be, you know, being sued if this had happened?

• WrenBoy says:

@tormos
            It was the talk of the internet at the time. From this article, http://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream-to-disaster-the-story-of-aliens-colonial-marines

On December 11, 2006, Sega announced that they had snagged the rights to the much-beloved sci-fi franchise Aliens.
            ….
            Just days after announcing their Aliens acquisition, Sega announced that they were making a first-person shooter with Gearbox, the studio then best known for developing Brothers in Arms

According to three people familiar with the project, Gearbox didn’t put a lot of work into Colonial Marines between 2007 and 2010. Instead, those people told me, Gearbox chose to focus on Duke Nukem Forever, Borderlands, and Borderlands 2. Colonial Marines was not a priority.

[In mid 2012] while Gearbox’s staff knew that they didn’t have enough time to fix this disaster of a project, according to one source, they felt like they couldn’t ask for another extension from Sega. Not after seven years.

“The game feels like it was made in nine months, and that’s because it was,” said a source.

• fish99 says:

Bit of a stretch to get ‘made with stolen money’ from that. To make that judgement you’d have to know how much SEGA paid Gearbox and how much Gearbox paid TimeGate Studios, and you’d also have to see the contract they both signed. Gearbox may not have been working on the game, but they were paying TimeGate to make it. You’re talking as if the game was never made.

I’m sure most of the money invested in Borderlands 2 came from either its publisher 2K Games or Borderlands 1 sales.

7. Yosharian says:

I never played an Ultima game, is there one I should play or has it had its day?

edit: Seems like Ultima 7 is the best one, I might pick it up I guess. Are there fan patches/mods? Looking at Exult right now but it seems that it hasn’t been updated in quite a few years.

• Lanfranc says:

Both Ultima 7 and its sequel Serpent Island are absolute must-plays. The version on GOG runs fine as it is.

U5 and U6 are good games as well, even though they’re somewhat more dated.

• fish99 says:

Ultima Underworld 1&2 are great games, by no less than Looking Glass Studios. Of course that’s assuming the GOG versions are fully functional.

8. YoungSeal says:

Can someone clarify what “Registers on Steam” means.

Is it that you can add the game to your library or does your purchase give you a code which redeems the game on Steam as if you bought it there?

Also the Borderlands 2 link goes to a page where it is 9.99 euro, what’s the purpose of the coupon? It gives you an extra 49 cent off?

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

It means you need Steam to play it.

• Shinan says:

It’s a coupon for 5% off. I mean it’s better than nothing!

• Yosharian says:

1) Pay for game

2) Get given code

3) Load steam

4) Select ‘Activate a product on Steam’

5) Enter code

6) You now own the game on Steam, and can begin downloading it

• YoungSeal says:

Ok, I bought the game and I now have my Borderlands pack available on Gamergate but I can’t see anywhere to get a code in order to redeem it on Steam?

Am I missing something?

I just noticed a timer on gifting it, hopefully once this has counted down I can get the code.

• Dr.Honeyslut says:

Hey, once you’ve purchased the game on Gamersgate, it will give you the option to gift it. You can just ignore the gift screen if you don’t want to gift the game. The game will then be added to your gamersgate library, visible on the left hand side of the screen. To get the steam key, select your game in your game library, and on the righthand side of the screen you should see a little thumbnail of the game cover, and under that will be the steam serial key.

9. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

F.E.A.R. complete pack for 8.99 is a good price for some of the best shooters ever made, with F.E.A.R. 3 thrown in too for some reason.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

I think it just must be added for contrast, not like your going to play it!, Fear 2 was the last true GREAT AAA shooter. Then deve..I mean publishers though we all wanted achievements and boxes/ low walls.

The music from F.E.A.R. still haunts my heeeed in a reeeeeet good way!!

• Yosharian says:

Fear 2 is a great shooter? All that I heard indicated it was nowhere near as good as Fear 1… And I loved Fear 1, especially the horror moments.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

The worst I can possibly say about #2 is that none of it quite lives up to the firefights or the OH HOLY SHIT moments (like when you encounter your first Heavy) in the first. But that’s setting the bar quite high, since I haven’t played any game that lives up to F.E.A.R. in that regard. The sequel is still amazing – combat is tense and varied, and the whole thing just drips atmosphere. For me, the levels in the obliterated city streets are still some of the most memorable sections of any game from the last decade.

As for FEAR 3, I prefer to think it doesn’t exist.

• Yosharian says:

Hmm. Ok. What about the expansion packs for F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2? Are they any good?

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

I remember all the expansions being equal in quality to the originals. FEAR 2′s may have even been in the same slightly-better-but-shorter territory as DXHR’s Missing Link.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate is good(and a FULL game), the other extraction point is a bit of a letdown(though still good due to the great game engine). F.E.A.R. 2 Reborn is short but playing on hard and not using the power armour is REALLY challenging! They tinkered with the reanimators and made them PROPER daddies!

God I loved F.E.A.R.!

• malkav11 says:

FEAR 3 fails miserably at being scary but it’s still a solid shooter that’s a lot of fun in its asymmetric coop mode.

• Yosharian says:

Fear 3 is an abomination, the less said about it the better.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Amen sir!, AMEN!!!! What made me give it up was the fact in F.E.A.R. 2 power armour was an option in F.E.A.R. 3 it was given as an option even though it really wasn’t! All of the good points from F.E.A.R. 2 were lost, like improved graphics over the original. The most average of below average consolised shooter!

• malkav11 says:

I’d never argue that it was on the same level as the first two. Like I say, it’s not as scary nor as clever with the level design. And the writing’s pretty terrible. But the shooting remains strong and the addition of the assymetric coop where a second player plays the ghost of Fettel really brings it up several notches.

10. Ianuarius says:

Borderlands 2 is actually 9.99€.

11. MrBillwulf says:

I’ve yet to find a 4X game that captivates me as much as Alpha Centauri does. It’s a fantastic IP that would make a good RPG, FPS, or RTS.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

You, sir, are history’s greatest monster. *glares*

• Berzee says:

Oh I dunno, haven’t you ever been playing some Alpha Centauri and thought to yourself, “This is great, but I wish I could press space to stick to cover.” ?

• LionsPhil says:

I want to be the gunner in a turret section on the back of a Recon Rover as it drives through an epic, cinematic conflict between good and evil where the fate of mankind hangs in the balance and I must survive to fulfil my destiny.

• MrBillwulf says:

I’m only moonlighting as history’s greatest monster. But think about it: SMAC is already part RPG, and it’s steeped in lore. As for being an FPS, think about fighting mind worms and other factions. Finally, although it may sound like madness, SMAC would make a great RTS with very different factions and play styles.

• Lanfranc says:

Jon Ziegler actually wrote a GURPS Alpha Centaury sourcebook for Steve Jackson Games. Although it was a bit thin on content, unfortunately.

12. Jupiah says:

I’d be careful about buying anything from the Square-Enix store. I bought Scary Girl from their store last week and the serial code they gave me was not a valid steam code. (the game requires steam.) Furthermore once I had closed the tab I could not find the code again – their website does not seem to have any kind of “purchase history” or “owned games” categories in the user account settings or profile pages. And they never actually sent me any email confirming the purchase or to give me the codes or even to confirm creating my account. (I made absolutely certain that the email address was correct when I registered an account to purchase the games.)

I only was cheated of $2.50 and I’ve had really bad experience with Square-Enix customer support in the past so I’m not even going to bother trying to get it fixed. Just giving a fair warning that Square-Enix sucks.

• Yosharian says:

Fair enough, I just picked up Sleeping Dogs with no problems at all, activated cleanly on Steam.

• trjp says:

Login and goto ‘My Profile’ – the keys are shown there…

When C+Ping keys, be careful you’re not entering a space at the start or end which some browsers will pickup

If that still doesn’t work, it COULD be because the game is region locked and you bought from the wrong SE store – but take that up with SE via their support link

• Jupiah says:

That must only work in the European Square-Enix store. The North American store does not give you any way to view your purchase history. In fact their Support page FAQ actually states that if you want to “look up an order, view your order status, obtain a tracking number, view shipping status and print your order invoice ” you have to do it through the support page.

Holy crap that is the most unintuitive and user-unfriendly website I have ever browsed.

Oh my god, I cannot find the “I need a copy of my invoice” button the FAQ told me to click anywhere on their support site. And apparently the account I created to buy games from their stupid online store is not the same account they want me to log into in their support website. I hate Square-Enix so much right now.

13. fco says:

there’s also the star wars sale on steam. which game from the dark forces/jedi knight bunch is the best one? and how does it hold up today?

• Low Life says:

I can only comment properly on Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, and I’d say they hold up quite well. They’re “modern” games so they control as you’d expect and while they certainly have dated graphics, if you can play any other game from the early 2000s without that bothering you then you should be able to play these, too.

Choosing from those, Jedi Outcast is the better game, but Jedi Academy offers dual-wielding lightsabers and twin-headed lightsabers (Darth Maul style) and gives you Jedi powers from the start, so if that’s what you’re after pick Academy. In Outcast you will spend the first few missions just shooting people.

• Vandelay says:

The original Jedi Knight is still the best of the lot by fair margin (the expansion Mysteries of the Sith is also excellent though.) Outcast is enjoyable, but suffers from having some abysmal weapons. The game does not get good until you receive the lightsaber. Even then, the next level throws you into a sniper ally, so you are still forced to use the other weapons. The game gets really good by about level 9 and the duels are some of the most fun you can have in any Star Wars game.

Academy pretty much ditches the necessity of non-lightsaber weapons, which is why I prefer it. Although there is a story, the levels are fairly independent of each other, which might put some people off, but it has the added benefit of allowing the devs to just chuck out any idea they have. Lightsaber dueling is more common here, but I recall the controls lacking some of the precision of Jedi Knight 2. The addition of double ended and dual sabers is cool though.

What I would like to know though is whether the Force Unleashed games are worth getting? I understand that they are not as good as the Jedi Knight games, but are they completely worthless?

• malkav11 says:

The first Force Unleashed game commonly gets a reception that is completely opposite of the game’s actual virtues. The story is dreadful “excuse to put you in this level now. okay, now this level” shallow nonsense and if you’re playing for that, or watching Youtube versions of the cutscenes, you will be disappointed. But, while it occasionally has its problems (and though I didn’t play it on PC I suspect it would be better played with a controller), the gameplay is very much mad Jedi power fantasy complete with plenty of knocking people off cliffs and rolling them around like ragdolls, far more so than the Jedi Knight games ever managed. The levels are gorgeous and highly detailed, and most of the boss fights are pretty impressive, if QTE-intensive. It’s true that enemies do start becoming immune to certain Force powers (or your lightsaber) in ways that are pretty arbitrary and counter to the lore, but they’re never actually immune to -all- your powers and it’s pretty clear that enemies that are vulnerable to your complete suite of powers are completely incapable of posing any threat whatsoever so for there to be any sort of challenge they have to mix it up some.

(The conventional wisdom seems to be that the gameplay is a hot mess, particularly due to Force immune enemies (again, none of these actually exist – they’re only immune to specific powers), but the story is the one worthwhile part. As I say, this is nonsense and a complete inversion of the game’s actual virtues.)

I have played very little of the sequel but it seemed pretty slipshod up to that point and has generally been reputed to be less worthwhile than the already ill-reputed original.

14. Rahaks says:

Still wondering if the Indie Royale bundle is worth to get. I’d buy it for Back to the Future if it is a decent game. Except i have no idea. Plus i noticed that it came in 5 parts, does this bundle include all of them ?

Any thoughts on this game / bundle ?

• Low Life says:

The bundle includes all episodes.

The game itself is nothing to write home about – I don’t feel bad for paying 20 euros for it when it was first released but I also don’t think I’ll ever play it again. It has some cool throwbacks, but it’s from the period where Telltale didn’t quite know how to make story based games (after Sam & Max, before Walking Dead) so the gameplay itself is quite dull.

15. strangeloup says:

Surprised this was missed — GamersGate have one of the best possible ways to spend a fiver, with all of Baldur’s Gate, all of Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and Temple of Elemental Evil in one big bundle.

They also have all of Neverwinter Nights, and while there’s at best ambivalence about the core campaigns, certainly in NWN1, the expansions are generally highly rated.

• WrenBoy says:

Wow, thats amazingly good value for a fiver.

• fish99 says:

If that was Steam codes or on GOG I’d probably get it…. but with it being Gamersgate I’ll probably forget I own the games, and I don’t want to store 10GB.

• malkav11 says:

The NWN original campaign is awful and should be avoided. The expansion campaigns are worthwhile, though Shadows of Undrentide suffers from starting you as a level 1 D&D character without even giving you a full party to work with.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is worthwhile from the start (though the original campaign is certainly among Obsidian’s weaker output, it’s still very enjoyable and has some cool stronghold stuff as well as an evil option I’ve longed for in other RPGs – the ability to join the main villain.), though Mask of the Betrayer is certainly the standout.

Comment on this story