What’s Your Game Of 2013 So Far?

By Jim Rossignol on May 6th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

We’ve got a few things going up today, but as it’s National Nap-In-Armchair Day in the UK, things will be pretty quiet. You can do us a favour though, and answer two questions for us:

1) What’s your favourite game of the year so far?

2) Are you playing a multiplayer game regularly, and if so is what is it? The same as your GOTYSF?

Speak!

__________________

« | »

1. staberas says:

1. Poker Night
    2.WARFRAME

2. FloorBelow says:

Zeno Clash 2. Absolutely brilliant game.

3. walstafa says:

The only 2013 game I’ve played this year has been Neverwinter, so it wins by default I guess. It’s a lot of fun so far, if fairly unpolished.

4. Ingall says:

Candy Box.

Apart from that the only 2013 game I’ve bought is Arma3 and I’ve hardly touched it yet.

5. Gunsmith says:

For me its a toss up between blood dragon and sonic all stars racing transformed.

Infinite did nothing for me, between its ropey character animations and its all so serious shooty shoot gameplay it certainly gets my overrated game of the year award. If com hadn’t sweetened the deal is have been royally pissed.

6. Zorza says:

For the universe and experience; Bioshock Infinite.
    For the depth, complexity and enjoyment; Dota 2.

7. Colonel J says:

I’ve not yet bought a new release in 2013.

So it has to be Papers, Please in beta. What a brilliant little game.

Or System Shock 2 from GOG if a re-issue counts

• cowardly says:

Same here, lack of money means I’ve not yet bought anything new, but Papers, Please is llooking so promising that it should count ^^ I’m also really really looking forwards to Gone Home, whenever that comes out (soon, I think), and if it is all it wants to be, it could very well be GOTY material for me.

8. amateurviking says:

Monaco is definitely my multiplayer highlight so far. Probably overall too, as I’ve not really played many 2013 games yet. Just picked up Fez so looking forward to that. And I’m not sure what to make of Bioshock Infinite yet but I suspect it’s growing on me.

9. mbr says:

Kairo. Great atmosphere, mystique, music. Good puzzles and a very striking look. Too bad the ending shits all over it. (Not in a good way)

EDIT: Oh and for multiplayer: Dota 2

10. Dariune says:

I am gonna sound like a right miserable bastard but …

1) There have been few games to interest me this year and the ones that did ended up being a bit crap. So honestly, I don’t think I have liked a single game released this year yet. (I did just buy sleeping dogs though and although my computer is groaning I am quite enjoying the game)

2) No I hate multiplayer games.

11. Erinduck says:

…Probably nothing so far. 2013′s been pretty weak on the PC gaming front.

12. Swiergot says:

GOTYSF: Bioshock Infinite

That said I’m spending almost all of my gaming time fighting imperialists in the Wargame: Airland Battle Multiplayer Beta

13. Anguy says:

Since I didn’t buy any game released in 2013 I have to name my most recent purchase which was Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed. I really love the gameplay, the music is awesome and it never feels cheap like so many Mario karts with their blue shells and stuff.

Multiplayerwise I recently got into Chivalry and have quite a lot of fun with it. For such a small development team this is pretty great

14. RIDEBIRD says:

Bioshock for sure. Best game I have played in years.

Other then that I started playing DOTA 2 this year and it is quite fantastic. Used to play Planetside 2 a lot up until a couple of weeks ago when I just got kind of bored with the game. Spent 340+ hours on it so I assume that was it. I will be coming back later, but for now it’s all DOTA all the time.

15. Capt. Raven says:

I haven’t played much of the newest game so far, therefore my GOTYSF would probably be Papers, Please! That game stirred up emotions in me, that happens not so often these days. I am excited to play Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Blood Dragon at some point though, but I want to get some irl-stuff done before I get lost in these games (bachelor-paper *urgh*).

Multiplayer hideout for me is Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm and a bit of Tribes Ascend or CS:GO. Also I don’t like MOBAS. That is all.

16. merc-ai says:

Probably Eador, for lack of better contenders. Big hopes on upcoming Shadowrun, a slim chance that Watch Dogs or GTA5 win.

As for best / most original world/setting/atmosphere of 2013, it’s definitely Zeno Clash 2.

• whorhay says:

I picked up Eador on a whim around a month ago and I’m ashamed to say I’m about 250 hours into it and only 20% of the way through the campaign.

17. Vandelay says:

I will probably have to go with Bioshock: Infinite, mainly because I can’t think of any other 2013 releases I’ve actually played. As much as I liked the game, I’ll be disappointed if that remains at the top.

The most fun I’ve had with a game this year, ignoring platform, is probably Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed on the Wii U. I think that came out last year though.

As for MP games, I’ve been playing a lot of DOTA2. It really isn’t as complex to get into as many seem to think and, if you are used to the likes of SC2 multiplayer, it is actually rather relaxing by comparison.

18. Commander Gun says:

I keep playing Awesomenauts, quite addicted to it, great game!

19. SkittleDiddler says:

I haven’t been very impressed by what we’ve seen so far this year, so I’m sticking to 2012 titles. In that context, I suppose Borderlands 2 would be my 2013 GOTY, or maybe Sleeping Dogs.

As far as MP is concerned, I’ve barely touched any of that since the year started. Sometimes dealing with other people just bores me.

20. dee says:

my favourite game of 2013 has been Inexplicable Bouts of Sadness followed closely by Lying to Friends: I’m Okay Really

21. phelix says:

War Thunder. Still.

22. v.dog says:

The only (new) games I’ve bought this year are Bioshock Infinite and Kerbal Space Program. While Bioshock will definitely be a contender for GOTY, it’s too early to to give it the award just yet.

Once République, Watch Dogs, The Bureau, Planetary Annihilation, Star Citizen, and The Witness are out, then we’ll see.

23. Teovald says:

So far my favourite game is Brütal Legend (favorite, not best, that would be Bioshock Infinite). It is a flawed gem. It is very close to be an absolute classic but the different gameplay parts are just not polished enough for that.

24. Syra says:

Either infinite or that one tomb raider game wot was released this year. I don’t know why but it really hooked me, in a way that even though I love infinite and think it’s objectively the better game, I had more fun and less downtime with tomb raider.

Dawn of War 2 RETRIBUTION is my multiplayer pick, got back into it after a good year out and it was so far ahead of its time it’s not even funny, still the best RTS on the market.

25. Fredrik Sellevold says:

Not that many amazing new game experiences this year, (Bioshock Infinite is good, but it’s too soon to say how sticky it’ll be) but I absolutely loved Sleeping Dogs, which I at least played this year. Fantastic use of the Hong Kong atmosphere, made me feel like I was reliving a combination of Hard Boiled, Infernal Affairs and stew of urban kung fu films.

26. Gurrah says:

My single player favourite has to be Bioshock thus far (Infinite that is). When it comes to multiplayer I’m torn, I’d have to say Mechwarrior Online even though patches introduce more bugs than features at the moment.

27. jha4ceb says:

1) Haven’t gotten around to many 2013 games yet.

2) Mainly Guild Wars 2 and Awesomenauts.

28. Ny24 says:

The game I played the most this year is Civilisation V. I also started my first MMO – Neverwinter.

29. Fred S. says:

Starcraft 2 HotS.
    I suck at it, but I suck less than last year.

30. maximiZe says:

1) Bioshock Infinite, close second being MGR: Revengeance. Papers Please looks insanely promising.
    2) Dota 2 and Starcraft II HotS

31. sith1144 says:

wargame: airland battle

32. Frisky Dingo says:

Don’t Starve. You have to not starve, see?

For shooty action it’s Starcraft 2 multiplay or whatever MOBA I randomly select with my mouse. Sometimes I play Eeny, meeny, miny, moe with the icons.

33. Ksempac says:

Gameplay time at 52h even though I started playing less than 3 weeks ago ?

Yeah i think Planetside 2 so far qualifies as my GotY 2013 (I don’t care that it was released in 2012). In no small part thanks to the awesome RPS outfit.

THE PURPLE GIRAFFES NEED YOU!

34. Sic says:

What I’m playing at the moment:
    SW: Dark Forces, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Strife, TESV: Skyrim, Pro Pinball: Big Race USA, Transport Tycoon, DOTA2, Smite.

What I should be playing:
    Bioshock Infinite, Fez, Don’t Starve, Incredipede.

Favourite game of the year:
    I have no idea

Multiplayer game that I’m regularly playing:
    DOTA2

35. wearedevo says:

Nothing great yet this year.

36. Klingsor says:

Haven’t bought a new game this year besides “pre-ordering” on Kickstarter. Just playing Dwarf Fortress all the time. Though it’s rather old it’s THE discovery of the year so far for me….and damn is it time consuming

However Don’t Starve looks rather neat and maybe I’ll give it a shot.

37. Soulstrider says:

Oh dear, the realization that you haven’t played any game that’s come out this year.

38. Hieronymusgoa says:

Bioshock Infinite and (pulling it in from last year) Dark Souls!

Still hooked into “LoL” online-wise. The only online-game which could keep me entertained even after years. And I love The Secret World.

elder sign: omens is indeed a lot of fun (on my galaxy nexus)

39. vedder says:

1) Fez (or Miasmata, but that was actually released in November, I just didn’t play it until recently)

2) ShootMania. It’s just the most fun I had in an online shooter since Unreal Tournament 2004

40. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Fire Emblem: Awakening.

41. hanneswall says:

Depression Quest

42. dawnmane says:

1) Bioshock Infinite. I agree with a lot of the criticism I hear, but come on… It was brilliant.

2) Neverwinter in the extremely friendly RPS guild. I love the setting, the feeling of being mostly in one city is wonderful and a welcome change from most MMOS, the combat is great and grouping/crafting mechanics are infinitely less annoying than anything else I have ever played.

43. MaXimillion says:

1. Path of Exile
    2. Heroes of Newerth and DDO

44. MajorManiac says:

1. Bioshock infinate (or possibly Mass Effect 3)
    2. Orcs Must Die 2, much to my friends dismay, I can’t get enough of this game.

45. Yehat says:

The only not-free games of 2013 that I’ve played so far are Proteus and Surgeon Simulator. I’m in such a tough financial spot that I have to wait for sales even for 6€ games… Can’t wait to play Papers Please, Antichamber, Starseed Pilgrim and Monaco (among others) when I finally have the chance.

As for multiplayer, I’ve been learning to play Dota 2. Well-designed, deep, and most importantly free.

46. Badreligion says:

Monaco
    Path of exile

47. Snidesworth says:

Blood Dragon. It’s the only game I liked this year without any reservation. It doesn’t quite reach the highs that some other games have offered but it knows exactly what it wants to be and nails it perfectly.

48. c-Row says:

Bioshock Infinite – all other games I enjoyed this year were from 2012.

49. MikoSquiz says:

Nothing so far this year, but I haven’t played Zeno Clash 2 or Monaco yet. (Didn’t like Bioshock: Infinite, Fez, or Don’t Starve.)

Also Dishonored is my Game I Didn’t Play Until This Year of the Year and probably my retroactive GotY for last year.

50. funka73 says: