Dream Island Probably Isn’t About Anything

By Alec Meer on May 7th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

everybody walk...

It might be, though. I’m pretty bad at picking up on subtext, after all. For instance, I had no idea that Far Cry 3 was actually all about an episode of Basil Brush from 1976. I’m pretty sure Dream Island is made according to the ‘throw enough poo at the wall’ theory rather than because it has any kind of comment to make about anything. Although it’s 80s dinosaurs with ghettoblasters, sad robots and dogs who want jaws rather than actual poo, so it’s all good clean fun.

It’s pretty stupid. It’s rather nice.

What can I say? Wander across a mad landscape having brief, mad conversations asking you to pick up mad things for mad creatures. Well, they’re not all that mad really, but it beats an elf asking for a crown or a guy with a gun asking you to kill another guy with a gun.

Mad(ish) things happen when you accomplish these ambient tasks, such as a giant, floating confusing maze with no clear purpose popping into existence. Why? I’dunno. It’s game art being game art, and there’s something very pleasant about that despite a faint edge of ‘ooh, aren’t I wacky?’

It’s a free browser game but it requires the Unity plugin, so I suspect about 60% of the comments below will be moaning about that again. What fun.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

felisc says:

Well I brought back a battery to the robot but nothing happened. Also the dino was pretty cool.

2. Squire says:

The Unity plugin does not affect my life in one way or another.

3. Spakkenkhrist says:

I have to install something to play a game? Unthinkable.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

What’s this, console gaming?

• Shuck says:

I’m running the Zibbleflocks operating system, myself, and I’m angry RPS dares to cover a game unavailable for my system! Granted, it’s a custom OS with exactly one user and therefore no games and it’s completely unreasonable to be angry about it, but still: Grrr!!!

4. monolithium says:

If it helps, when you complete the maze you get to wake up (thus ending the game).

5. Berzee says:

You mean I have to install a browser to play this? Pfft.

• Berzee says:

JK, I’d like to talk to a sad robot. I will play it later because I know you’d never steer me wrong.

6. Flappybat says:

The Twins told me that a “chinky bastard” had probably stolen something.

Really?

• soldant says:

Also, the “naked lady” requires her left breast to be returned to her.

7. SuicideKing says:

Well last time i tried that Unity game one of you suggested everyone play, it didn’t load properly, plus Unity feels like spyware when you’re installing it (arguably afterwards as well) so won’t try this.

There, i just contributed to that 60% estimate.

You’re welcome.

8. tanith says:

And there is still no unity webplugin for Linux. Oh well. :(

• Randomer says:

On the plus side, interesting sounding games like this one are a good reason to go check—and get our hopes dashed—every few months.

• JP says:

Hey, RPS writers! When you link to a game that was part of Ludum Dare, it might be a good idea to link to the game’s Ludum Dare entry page instead of directly to the game itself, for situations like this where there’s a newer or alternate version of the game.

Thanks and keep up the great work, RPS writers!

9. Shuck says:

“Trial version” That’s wonderfully optimistic of them.

• soldant says:

I hope it’s a joke. At least the other ‘non-games’ pretend to have some sort of coherent theme. It reminds me of this similar one a while back with was “an experiment” or something where you wandered through a horrible map with ripped textures and models from Half Life 2, Afraid of Monsters, and stock photo sites. EDIT: And it was bad, too.

strangeloup says:

I think I played that. It was called something pretentious like “Insert Game Title” and it was basically like an alternate universe Stanley Parable as made by someone who took a 1 hour Introduction to Philosophy course and watched a couple of Hammer tutorials.

I only had a go of it because RPS posted about it. About the only thing going for it was that it wasn’t another bloody Slenderman game.

• The Random One says:

I remember that one. It was essentially a game asking for people to film their reaction videos. Your in-game weapon was even a camera.

The platform level that was just a giant naked guy was kind of cool, though.

• SCdF says:

It’s a trial version of *Unity*, the dev tool, not a trial version of the game.

• soldant says:

Oh right, forgot that the trial of Pro does this. Our mistake!

10. soldant says:

Let’s see: New Unity Project 1, horrible character controller physics, very little interaction, bunch of random and confused nonsense… it has all the trappings of a ‘my first game’ attempt except with logos and some apparent ability to actually make something. Are people making these ridiculous things just because they know somebody will go “Ha ha, random, BRILLIANT!” or because they can’t do any better? This is terrible.

strangeloup says:

It is a bit rubbish, isn’t it? Although your mention of logos made me think of the term in the Greek sense, sending me on a train of thought ending up with imagining how an interactive version of Philip K. Dick’s last novel, VALIS, might be as weird and sad and beautiful as the book itself.

• dook says:

I don’t know why it isn’t mentioned either here or on the site with the game, but this game was made for the Ludum Dare competition: here
      And thus made over a weekend. So they likely made it just because they thought it would be fun to make :)

11. Forceflow says:

T-rex with sunglasses and a boombox.

I love you, indie game development.

tumbleworld says:

My heart leaps with joy at notification that Unity is required. So much better than Flash; so much more convenient than an install!