Hare-Raising: The Night Of The Rabbit

By John Walker on May 7th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Daedalic feel like an adventure developer just on the edge of finding their hit. The Deponia games had potential, and The Whispered World came so close. So can their latest, The Night Of The Rabbit, be the one that really shines? There’s a trailer now, to give us some idea.

If you’re a Brit of my age, you’ll likely remember those extremely odd moments when off ill from school, flicking through all four channels to find something that wasn’t lifestyle tips to watch. And either BBC2 or Channel 4 would be showing a cartoon! Hooray! Except… this wasn’t like regular cartoons. It was… it was… European. Seemingly exclusively scheduled for those watching in a fluey fog, these peculiar tales possessed a maturity you weren’t quite ready for, along with an entire absence of wacky voices and frying pans on faces. It’s precisely this that was evoked for me watching the German developer’s trailer:

It’s all there – emphatic talking animals, magic that operates on a level you don’t think you’ll ever understand, and a gorgeous collision of animation styles. And looks like it could be an alternate world back-story for a young Professor Layton.

It looks like it could even be pretty special. It looks incredibly lovely – if only the game can be as well-crafted.

I really do hope that Daedalic will have had the script properly translated – something that has hurt them in the past. (Much as if an English game were being translated to German, I would expect German natives to be the ones to QA such a transition, it only makes sense for someone whose first language is English to be responsible to the QA in the other direction. The results of using non-native translators are an ever-present burden on every adventure coming out of Germany, and there’s no good reason for it to be spoiling games.) We’ll find out on the 29th of this month when it’s released.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GameCat says:

It was wishing for game like this since last few years and it seems it will pop out of the hole at last.

2. TimEatsApples says:

Yes please!

The Whispered World was a great game apart from the ending and the terrible voice acting. The voices in this trailer sound a lot more bearable. I’ll look forward to this one.

• Grargh says:

Actually, the ending worked pretty well for me, and the German acting was really good. If the translation and English voiceover was done on the same level as German dubs for movies and games though, I can absolutely feel your pain.

Also, there’s a nice little cameo at 1:47 in this trailer.

• Mr. Mister says:

Funnily enough, it’s the opposite with Spanish (from Spain): the Spaniard movie and TV show dubbing industry is one of the greatest there is on the world, and the quaility is there. If videogames’ Spanish dub was at the same level as the movies, I’d be really satisfied (some game sget it right though. GlaDOS is a good example).

• Arglebargle says:

I’ve noticed that about Spanish dubbing: Even as a mostly non-Spanish speaker, the dialogue is well done, and pretty well acted.

Most hilarious dubbing I ever saw was the western TV show Bonanza being dubbed live into Thai….

• Mr. Mister says:

One thing though: what I say only applies to Spaniard dubbing. Latinamerican dubbing, on the other hand… let’s just say they enjoy more simply suubtitles.

• The Random One says:

I’m Brazilian and I’m pretty sure there’s some sort of dubbing cartel in here. Movies and series get incredibly shoddy, poorly directed and technically flawed dubs. Cartoons get excellent dubs – I’ve had a chance to listen to American dubs of anime and most of them don’t hold a candle to the Brazilian dubs. So it has come to pass that The King’s Speech and Breaking Bad dubbed are orders of magnitude worse than freakin’ Spongebob Squarepants.

• quintesse says:

I wonder who determined that Spain has the worlds best voice acting, I hear that a lot here in Spain and I don’t understand it, because, really, the voice acting here still sucks. I’m living here for quite a number of years now and I still can’t stand the horribly exaggerated voice acting. You put a movie on and start switching between the original and the spanish language tracks and there’s a world of difference in quality. And using women putting on funny voices instead of real children is just about the worst.

fredcadete says:

I hear the same myth from all my Spanish friends, but when I watch a foreign TV show in a Spanish TV channel my hand goes straight to changing the audio track. Live actors being dubbed is always awful.
            With cartoons and computer games the result can be much better, though.

RedViv says:

The German acting in Daedalic’s games is absolutely stunning. Mostly because they don’t use the same people doing the same voices from almost every other programmer or film or game or what one ever might come up with in terms of German dubs and original voice casts. It is quite peculiar that then, in translation, the English actors are chosen poorly, the direction is lacking, and the script very much unpolished.

• TimEatsApples says:

Ooh, I missed that cameo – thanks for pointing it out.

Unfortunately the translation’s not up to much, in the Whispered World at least (I haven’t played Deponia yet), and the voice actors seem to have been chosen to get on your nerves. I didn’t mind too much though – there’s so much to love about the game.

3. gmale9000 says:

I would consider myself a rabbit fan of Point-and-Click games and this one looks like 24 Carrot gold.

• guygodbois00 says:

Serves me right for drinking and reading this pun-ridden site.

• KDR_11k says:

So hare’s the obligatory pun thread… I carrot say that I didn’t expect it.

Have a nice Tragedy!

• mr.black says:

I trodent through the comments just to find such a post!

DrScuttles says:

When I was ill from school, catching The Moomins was always my fluey haze treat. I always wanted to be Snufkin, to have that freedom, knowledge, self-assurance, be good at the harmonica and pull off smoking a pipe. And as I get older, it’s starting to sink in that I’ll never be him. Thinking about it, I’d really like a Moomin adventure game.
    I’ve always felt that adventure games are one of the best genres for evoking those bittersweet feelings while exploring a strange world.

5. Mr. Mister says:

I do hope they keep the open environments and non-linear quests from Deponia&Chaos. Despite reviewers unable to keep track and directions, I enjoyed them a lot.

• botonjim says:

Indeed. Most fun I’ve had with an adventure game in at least a decade, thanks to Daedalic daring to let us explore (and get lost in) more than 3 screens at a time. I too hope they keep that up!

• S Jay says:

Deponia has a terrible character though. They went for the “loser Guybrush” vibes, but just got a spiteful idiot that no one likes.

• Acorino says:

Oh it’s definitely not unintentional that Rufus is a spiteful idiot. ;)

6. Cytrom says:

The artwork is spectacular… not quite so sure about the gameplay, but I’ll be sure to check how it turns out.

7. KDR_11k says:

I’m kinda miffed that Chaos on Deponia beat out Spec Ops: The Line for some “German game of the year” award that was given out recently.

8. staberas says:

Ah John what did you remind me those wonderful days that i waited for the communist channel to finish their commercials so i could see finally the latest adventures of Bolek und Lolek…

• mr.black says:

Now here are names I didn’t expect to read here!
      I bid you greetings, good sir/mam!

9. Scumbag says:

Hum… did Deponia and The Whispered World have the option to turn on English Subtitles with the original German dub?

• Rinu says:

Sadly, Daedalic titles don’t support multi-language settings. You either want to play in full English or full German.
      I tried to mix Edna & Harvey’s files to get English subtitles and German voice-over which was successful in the end but there are inconsistencies. Subtitles end too soon because voice-over is shorter, some lines are missing, etc.

Indeed, John. I don’t always fancy the developer’s humour but the quality of English translation is the major downside. Unlikeable or monotonous voices that don’t make sense sometimes. I also hope they will work on that because I can clearly see the potential there too.

• Scumbag says:

Ah, kinda sad then. I love the look of the stuff they make, and it possibly is quite charming when translated correctly, but every time I watch one of their trailers I loose interest when I hear the voice actors talking.
        Wish more studios left in the original voice-overs as an option. I’ve seen enough world Cinema (and far too much anime) to realize: Subs over Dubs any-day.

• daedalic_steffen says:

Hi Rino,

actually we have multilanguage support for the steam version for the upcoming “The Night of the Rabbit” and for “Memoria”. So you can choose the supported subtitles and the supported languages we have as you want.

Greetings,
        Steffen from Daedalic

10. derella says:

I haven’t finished Chaos on Deponia… but the first was alright. Whispered World… well, I made it a few hours in before Sadwick made me want to smother him.

I will try to pick this one up at some point. It looks quite lovely :)

11. scatterlogical says:

I hope they get this game right – I thought the Deponia games were utterly gorgeous, with some snappy humour, and they had the potential to be really great games – but they fell flat on their face with the incredibly mediocre and illogical puzzles.

12. Bart Stewart says:

So, not a moderately delayed game tie-in for Night of the Lepus, then?

I would play that.