Meta Song: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger Trailer

By Craig Pearson on May 7th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I used this screenshot just for the tag
I am still surprised when games have their own songs. I view music like magic, but not in the Kieron way. I think you shouldn’t be able to sit down and just come up with up a song based on a subject. That seems like it shouldn’t work. It should be, hmm, involuntary? And if someone sits down and just thinks up a song, then it shouldn’t be catchy or good. And then this bloody Gunslinger trailer comes along, with a song about Silas Greaves and his shooty ways, and is kind of catchy and good. It is confusing, and will lodge in your head like a bullet.

Honestly, I’m staring at this like a monkey at a monolith. There’s a bit in the song that references the slow-motion mode, which shouldn’t work. It’s a bloody game conceit, not a song lyric. And yet it flows off the singer’s larynx like an, er, thing from a thing. Damn music journalism is hard. I think I’ll stick to games, where I can at least point out that Gunslinger is a surprisingly decent shooter, with a few neat story-telling tweaks in a linear story. And the guns are the slingiest. See? Games journalism is my calling, make no mistake.

And I can say “here’s the trailer”, which is something that no-one ever wrote in Smash Hits. Proof, if ever it was needed, that games are best.

Thanks to this song, my brain totally made the Greaves/grieves connection. I am slow. It’s out May 22nd.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Bracknellexile says:

Oddly, the only song that’s lodged in my head now is not this one but the Ballad of Jayne Cobb which is, I suspect, what they were trying to emulate.

2. Siythe says:

Sounded more like they were riffing on The Man Comes Around to Me. Overused in westerns even more than geek culture like to reference firefly. Either way I like what they’ve done here.

• pledouth says:

Me too, but I in my opinion the song is awfully derivative. And it kinda fails to establish the premise of the game. The previous westerny CoJ was a really good narrative (hard to admit, but the finale made me cry a bit), so this one has a hell of a job to do in terms of quality of the narrative. And I don’t think that such a publicity stunt like this song is going to help.

• staberas says:

Well, I still give full point for the interesting lyrics.

3. Anthile says:

This looks surprisingly good. I never would have thought the franchise could recover from the Cartel disaster. Lots of raspberry jam, too.

4. Michael Fogg says:

To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day…

5. Saarlaender39 says:

Do you hear this whirring?

That’s Johnny Cash…spinning in his grave.

6. PedroBraz says:

I would like, just once, to see a game in the western theme, where the goal isnt to slaugther half the US population. The reason the gunfight at the OK Corral became so famous is that it was a rare event. This shit didnt just happen all the time.

*sigh*

I´m too old for FPSes.

7. John Mirra says:

Bullet with the shell casing? Quite lame.

8. Davie says:

The only good thing about the previous CoJ game is that its trailer introduced me to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

I probably won’t play this, but I like what they’re doing with the music.

9. armyofdan says:

Every western game since it came out makes me want Red Dead Redemption on PC.

Comment on this story