Token Mac News: XCOM Now Available For Rich People

By Alec Meer on May 7th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

This is what the staff in the Genius Bar look like underneath their stick-on skin and fashionable facial hair

“Slow news day, eh?” Only in your underpants, loser. For all four of the Mac gamers who read RPS, this is a very, very, very, very, very fast news day. Because one of last year’s best games, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, has arrived on their shiny, overpriced, hard to upgrade PCs-with-different-software.

It’s available via the Mac App Store or direct from porters Feral Software (they’re a bit bitey), though a later Steam release hasn’t been quite ruled out.

Firaxis’ remake of the olden DOS strategy title is the kind of game that seems rather appropriate for Macs – not too graphically demanding, a reasonably comfortable play on trackpad, and the plot concerns brainwashed people slavishly following the directives of a heartless inhuman overlord, so Apple fans will be on familiar ground.

The DLC to date is included, hence the ‘Elite Edition’ subtitle, and they want $50 for it. Alternatively, install Boot Camp and buy the PC version for much less, as well as whatever other PC games you’re interested in.

, , .

1. Web Cole says:

All the zings.

2. BAshment says:

i mistook this for a pc hardware site article.

3. bab says:

I mean, yeah, it is “now available” — but it was also “now available” a fortnight ago…

4. bluebomberman says:

You know, I hate it when you guys go all hostile and pissy like this.

Everybody knows Mac ports are overpriced and dated. No need to take a whack at Mac users as well.

Well, at least you guys stopped writing bitter articles about how much you hate foot-to-ball.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Alec and I are both Mac users. I think he writes in jest. Although he’s not wrong about them being overpriced.

• Alec Meer says:

And didn’t sacrifice our senses of humour in becoming so.

• Pulp Poet says:

Come on. If you don’t think that jokes can be hostile attacks, then you must have forgotten what going to school in preadolescence was like.

Responding to a comment that you’re writing is “hostile and pissy” with a personal attack against the accuser makes it look like you really are “hostile and pissy” and worse, now it looks like you’re losing control of your emotions for getting called out on it. His comment attacked your writing. Not you. It even included some light hearted ribbing. Your writing is not you. Don’t take it so seriously. Don’t defend it so fiercely. Strive to make everything you write worse than the thing you’ll write next.

As a writer, I understand the impulse to attack criticism, but it doesn’t make me a better writer to start a fight over it. The best I can do is ask questions to find out where I might have gone wrong. Was it a specific passage? An overall tone? If it really gets me riled up where I can’t do that, then that means I need to walk away. Once I’ve cooled down, maybe a day or more later, I will decide if I’ll respond, and how.

As writers we are judged by one thing above all else: how we write. It doesn’t matter if we strive to love the world or are proudly bigoted. It doesn’t matter if our moms think we’re special or want nothing to do with us. It doesn’t matter if we were cracking up or crying our eyes out when we wrote that thing.

If one person had the courage to comment on it, a thousand more probably saw it, thought a very similar thing, and said nothing. I’d much rather someone have the courage to speak up and tell me I’m wrong. I don’t always give thanks, but I try to be grateful for the courage that lets me be a bit more objective about my work.

And I would be thankful if I had a gaming article where the worst comment calmly called me on my shit. I browse your competition. Their comments are a cesspool. The commenters on this site are a goddamn miracle compared to most of the internet.

• mondomau says:

Does that mean you both secretly play foot-to-ball as well?

• ZHsquad says:

You got told son.

• serioussgtstu says:

“Alec and I are both Mac users.”

Processing…..

Processing…..

System error, hivemind initiating self destruct sequence.

• webwielder says:

“I fucking hate your guts and think you’re scum. Hey mate, why you getting so upset? I was only joking.”

I also continue to find the “overpriced” accusation funny, because if I pay the supposedly acceptable price, I get plasticy, ugly shit with inferior components (trackpad, display) covered with stickers running an abomination of an OS (Windows 8). For some reason, when it comes to computers, people insist that there can be no correlation between price and quality.

• RaiderJoe says:

Your an iSheep, looser; stop defending overpriced shinycrap.
          -Sent from my iPhone

• Magnusm1 says:

You don’t seem to know much about computers.

• deadly.by.design says:

Honestly, I think the quality of their displays are what what keep Macs from being complete wastes of money. It gets closer to balancing out when you factor in how much that screen would’ve cost in a PC equivalent. (tho I’ll say their standalone displays are way overpriced)

Source: I’m a designer, so I need color accuracy and most of my industry uses Macs. Plus, OSX is pleasant to work in and WIndows 8 is Windows 8. So, I’ll keep running Win7 on my gaming PC, and do my real work on the iMac.

• casshern09 says:

You obviously know nothing about computers, I guess that’s why you bought a Mac.

• tormos says:

“sure, it cost 500 dollars more, but there are absolutely no stickers on it and the trackpad i don’t use anyway because USB mice are a thing is way neater. Purchasing decision justified!”
          -webwielder(probably)

• fish99 says:

Didn’t I read a story about apple putting TN panels in macbooks these days, and everyone complaining about the viewing angles on them? Also no one doing anything productive uses the trackpad. And what’s stopping you using windows 7?

boaj-dats says:

Retina displays are IPS, others are TN (with good viewing angles, however). And Macbook trackpads are perfectly usable, unlike most non-Apple models.

• stiffkittin says:

Yep. I’ve been a Mac user for about 10 years and I found this article funny. And like all the best humour it’s funny because it contains truth.

jrodman says:

The article telegraphed that it was trying to be funny. It was just tedious and tired though.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I honestly have no problem with it. The only thing that annoys me is when people don’t realise it’s a joke and take the opportunity to do some mac user-bashing.

I am however surprised (and pleased) that this is the first Mac-specific release RPS has covered, even if it’s very late.

• Laurentius says:

You shouldn’t, it is Firaxis’ X-com, go check this game coverage on RPS.

5. 1Life0Continues says:

Buying a Mac is like buying Designer label clothes.

Albeit, designer clothes that excel at media production.

• Apocalypse says:

They don´t excel in that regard anymore. Actually currently I don´t think that apples products shine in any regard. Which is a shame.

Anyway I think I am than the fourth mac user who reads RPS.

Oh and tossrStu that is because it is Firefox. The worst browser in the world.
      (IE still is the best browser in the world to download a better browser, but Firefox is the new IE for about everything else)

• Kaira- says:

That’s so wrong I don’t even begin to comprehend.

• Sic says:

Nothing in his post is incorrect.

• Kaira- says:

“The worst browser in the world.”

And that isn’t wrong on any level? At least Firefox doesn’t make my Windows-computer BSOD, unlike Chrome.

• dE says:

Firefox used to be my go-to answer for browser stuff. Want a simple but fast browser without any extra toys? Go Firefox. Want great custom plugins to slot in additional functionality on demand? Go Firefox. Want Stability? Go Firefox. Want Safety? Go Firefox.
            Somewhere in recent years, their policies changed somehow. It’s slow as hell, crashes frequently, leaks memory like mad, and don’t get me started on all the extra fluff and superfluous interface nonsense. But hey, they’re like totally important social and totally cool on messages and commentary and stuff. Gimme back the decent browser damn it :|

• tossrStu says:

Firefox is 95% of the browser I want, it’s just the lagginess of the Gecko renderer that’s the fly in the ointment. If there was some way that you could swap out Gecko for Webkit then I’d be all over that like a rash.

• mouton says:

It has adblock and noscript, case closed.

6. Natti says:

Oh, RPS. Never change.

7. OrangyTang says:

As a pc, console and mac gamer I’m getting kinda tired of the constant snark on RPS recently. If it isn’t enough to have constant bitching about console gamers and console hardware, now we’re moving on to Mac users as well?

I know some of it may be intended in jest, but does everything have to be so hostile all the time? Can’t we all get along?

• Alec Meer says:

The problem is that you read it as hostile, not that it is hostile. There are few things about games & tech that we won’t playfully mock. Relax – especially about things you read on the internet- and life is much better.

c-Row says:

Mockery is all fine and dandy, but you don’t have to flog it to death. Or at least open a few windows.

• Lawful Evil says:

“Relax – especially about things you read on the internet- and life is much better.”

Indeed. I think it is a waste of effort to discuss anything remotely serious on a majority of websites, especially if they are the popular ones (RPS is, it seems). So many discussions end up obsolete, that I fail to see why to bother.

Anyway, the above quote is quite fitting not only for the internet, but also TV, daily newspapers, radio programs… pretty much any form of mass media, with few exceptions, I think.

• Laurentius says:

“There are few things about games & tech that we won’t playfully mock.” And one of them is RPS integrity as journalists and entrepreneurs, that thing is off limit for even tiniest joke.

• Nick says:

really? cause I seem to recall them making plenty of jokes about them accepting huge wads of cash as bribes etc.

• Laurentius says:

So RPS won’t be as John Walker has written „want to scream so much that world would break in two“ at my surprise comment about how this abort of UFO remake got so much positive coverage on RPS, that one would think they already fulfill all possible affiliations with Firaxis in doing PR campaign for this abomination. But no, just some more money are to be made off Mac users and RPS/Firaxis – 3,2,1 engage ! While other games i.e. Fez will probably wait for its WIT till it totally disappear from new release on Steam

• mouton says:

@Laurentius

“My opinion is objective truth, everyone who thinks differently must have been bribed.”

• Nick says:

As a person who bought UFO/TFTD when they were in the brick and mortar shops, I thought the reimagining was actually a pretty great, fun, game. I have my complaints, mainly the neutering of the geoscape and associated big picture stuff and the tedious focus on story, but overall I enjoyed it several orders of magnitude more than Apocalypse or anything since then if the various clones.

• Laurentius says:

@mouton, Nick

It’s not about game (which i would even call pretty good game if Firaxis have balls to stand on their own merits of game making not just riding on great classic name which in fact they decided to complelty disregard) , it’s about RPS coverage which is nothing sort of ridiculous. ( someone even pointed out that it’s the first Mac game that made into RPS news about being freshly released on Steam ) .

• Brun says:

RPS (unsurprisingly) tends to stick on a few games out of every year and do what seems like a disproportionally high amount of reporting on them. Usually it’s because these games are very good and/or popular or very bad and/or controversial. Just as an example, in 2011 there was a TON of coverage on The Witcher 2, DXHR, and Skyrim (all good games, although I personally wasn’t that impressed by TW2). In 2012 there was a ton of coverage on D3, XCOM, and a few others I can’t remember at the moment. The ones that fit this mold are easy to spot because there will usually be many stories about them in a relatively short time (3-4 weeks), followed by occasional stories during the next several months.

I don’t think this is really out of line with any other news outlet, it seems to be standard journalistic procedure to be honest.

• Nick says:

I thought it was more due to the fact Alec is a UFO/X-com fanatic and was excited/interested enough to want to write all that stuff..

• El_Emmental says:

John Walker is John Walker, leave the John Walkerism to John Walker.

As far as I know, neither Alec or Jim have went into rage mode at anyone, at least not without a good dose of humour – they never answered criticism with a single post saying something along the line of ‘fudge off’.

If the rest of the RPS crew start turning into bad healers too, sure it might be the time to stop reading the site, but so far it doesn’t seem to be the case.

• Pulp Poet says:

My suggestion for your writing career: stop blaming your readers for failing to read. You’re the one trying to convince them that you’re worth reading. They don’t owe you shit.

Anyway, not taking stuff so seriously is good advice. I hope you remember it the next time someone criticizes your work.

• shitflap says:

not taking stuff so seriously is good advice. I hope you remember it the next time someone criticizes your computing platform of choice.

• mangrove says:

Hey, I’ve got something you can put on your Mac… *Hock! Ptooie!*

• tossrStu says:

As someone who’s predominantly a Mac, 360 and iPad gamer these days, I can’t say the jabs bother me much. (I’m too busy wondering why Firefox’s scrolling is all laggy an’ shit on my rMBP *sadface*)

• OrangyTang says:

It’s not that they bother me, it’s just that there feels like there’s been a whole lot of angry on RPS recently.

• engion3 says:

I work on a mac and used to have this problem. Just google how to turn off hardware acceleration in firefox preferences, worked for me.

• tormos says:

you’re reading the official homepage of the PC gaming master race. Alec et al will not rest until these abominations have been purged

RaveTurned says:

Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Mungrul says:

I always preferred the 2000AD source material that GW obviously ripped off:
          Be Pure.
          Be Vigilant.
          BEHAVE.

• Hedenius says:

Hush!

Let us all hold hands and sing…weeeee shall ooooovercome.

• Corporate Dog says:

Get along? NEVER! Need I remind you that Jobs fired the first volley in this war, when he slit the throat of Gates’ prize pomeranian, and drank deeply from it at the 2005 WWDC? (“One more thing”, indeed.)

We’ll extract our vengeance one glossy white mockery at a time.

• Rollin says:

Successful RPS troll article is successful.

• mondomau says:

The article started with the line “Slow news day, eh?” Only in your underpants, loser” – I think it’s safe to assume the words that follow might be also in levity. Besides, this is Alec – no one ever takes him seriously…

• Tams80 says:

Pre-emptively avoiding one lot of pointless comments only to rather unsurprisingly have another load appear.

Most posts on RPS should have *whoosh* tags.

8. bleeters says:

“Slow news day, eh?” Only in your underpants, loser.

Fortunately, I’m not wearing any.

• El_Emmental says:

You won at RPS – show up at the castle’s gates to claim your prize: your own weight in authentic codpieces, signed by the entire cast.

golem09 says:

I still don’t understand how a game can be so much fun, even if it’s most fundamental gameplay mechanic is completely broken.
    Still played it, and it enjoyed, but I don’t get it.

c-Row says:

Now if it was available for free for all those who already got it in their Steam library as they did with Civ 4/5…

11. Natdaprat says:

People are critisising the Mac hate, but I’m wounded by the underpants comment. Curse you RPS, mocking my sex life! CURSE YOUUUUU

DrScuttles says:

Indeed, what happens in my pants stays in my pants.

Er, that came out wrong.

As did that. Oh, I’ll just stop it.

• Cypreana says:

What sex life?

12. DestructibleEnvironments says:

““Slow news day, eh?” Only in your underpants, loser.”

I take offense to that. :(

>_>

13. Commander_Zeus says:

For all four of the Mac gamers who read RPS,

And here i thought I was the only one. But then I am a Mac user, so I do like to think I’m special…

Seriously, I think this is worth reporting (says the self-important Mac user who WILL NOT REST until Macs are regarded with the level of esteem they demand) – the increasing convergence of game release dates for different PC OS’s and increased cross-platform equality, I believe, can only be good for PC gaming in general.

14. Lanfranc says:

“…a later Steam release hasn’t been quite ruled out.”

Seeing how this is Feral “Steam? What Is Steam?” Interactive we’re talking about, I’m going to assume it “hasn’t been quite ruled out” in the same sense that the Flying Spaghetti Monster descending from the heavens amidst a host of sparkling unicorns to announce the Spaghettocalypse “hasn’t been quite ruled out”.

15. Mustard Wraps says:

I’d be interested to know percentages of the RPS readership that use Mac/PC/Linux, or however many combinations. I’m part of the bootcamp bunch myself.

c-Row says:

Standalone Mac/PC. I used to run Bootcamp on my Mac but switched back to a dedicated gaming machine once games became too demanding.

• grundus says:

I used to Boot Camp too but BF3 convinced me to build a PC in 2011. My 4870 wasn’t cutting it for the beta so I looked at the price of the Apple-flashed 5870 (£377! It’s two generations old!) and decided to fuck that off in favour of a self build.

I don’t do much gaming on my Mac now, I do have Steam installed but there’s not much point seeing as how my PC is built for the purpose and all. I do still play Ghost Recon and Escape Velocity: Nova on it though.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

“Part of the Boot Camp camp”, surely.

• Mustard Wrap says:

I’d be interested to know percentages of the RPS readership that use Alliteration/Repetition/Rhyme, or however many combinations. I’m part of the alliterative army myself.

• Lanfranc says:

Macbook Pro 2011 with Bootcamp. The games I play aren’t typically that demanding, as I’m more of a strategy/RPG/adventure gamer than FPS, so it’s perfectly fine for me.

• Kaira- says:

What is this PC and how does it differ from Mac and Linux? ;)

Anyhow, Windows (1 comp), dual-boot Windows/Linux (1 comp) and Linux (1 comp) here, so it’s pretty even.

• tremulant says:

I’m afraid i’m in the hairy-principled-homemade-PC camp, all of my computers have a touch of windows just in case but i very rarely, if ever, boot it and wont buy software which requires it, i’m not terribly insecure about my choice of platform and so don’t get deeply offended and knee-jerky when a little light-hearted ribbing is directed at it by a site like RPS, that said, as a linux user i suppose i’m simply glad of the attention.

Rikard Peterson says:

No Bootcamp here. My main computer is a Mac, but I have a big PC under the table that comes in handy for games and stuff.

• SpaceAkers says:

mac laptop for everyday web-browsey type use (GREATLY prefer OS X to Windows for those tasks and love the nice trackpad, worth the money to me)

custom built windows machine for teh gamez (most cost-efficient way to computer-style game, it’s pretty much running Steam OS)

Mac Pro (!) at my studio for audio recording (runs the software I know and macs are pretty good at that stuff anyway)

So I’m playing both sides. In too deep. I’ll probably be found dead in a ditch with a Zune shoved down my throat.

16. BobbyDylan says:

These mac folk are a tad touchy, aren’t they? It’s almost as if the teasing tone in the article struck a nerve…..

c-Row says:

Calling that “teasing” is like calling WWII an open discussion.

• AsamiImako says:

Well they’re already having a tough time fighting that sinking feeling of buyer’s remorse having realized the steaming pile they just paid $2000+ for.

I say this typing on a MacBook Pro also. If I hadn’t needed it for school there’s no way in hell I would have paid for this hunk of crap.

• Quine says:

I’m trying to imagine the twisted universe in which this sort of thing happens, and failing.

“Sir, I wish to enroll in your fine academic establishment.”

“Hmmm…let’s have a look at your laptop. No, no fruit on the back of this one- try again, sonny…”

• RaiderJoe says:

And the zingers keep coming. Only at RPS can you have this perfect balance of teasing and insulting debate about computer platforms.

• El_Emmental says:

Well, Quine, many universities force you to use the provided laptop (that you pay through your tuition fee) and the softwares they paid for (only for the Mac version – because, you know, they don’t have much money…), so many students end up having to pay for and use a Mac, even when they don’t want to.

17. Shadowcat says:

TENTACLEFACE.

18. Teovald says:

That port is nice and all, but I bought XCOM on Steam when it was released (it may even be one of the only games I have preordered). I have a Windows partition dedicated to games. I have absolutely no use for this system outside of gaming, but if you are a hardcore gamer, MacOsX or Linux are just not enough.
    Now a port is released 6 months later (I have already finished and forgotten this marvelous game) and it is not even available outside of a system locked store.
    How about at least adding Mac support for the Steam version ?

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

“it is not even available outside of a system locked store”

You can get it retail, like from Amazon.

• Rocketpilot says:

I actually bought the Steam version when it was released, but the game bluescreens after about five minutes of play every time, and not a single patch has fixed matters. And yes, I’m using Bootcamp on a 2009 iMac so I’m screwed, basically. Rebought the game on the Mac App Store, and it works a treat.

19. m_a_t says:

As a Mac user and PC gamer there are 2 things I will never understand: since Macs use INTEL processors and games don’t use any of the interface stuff that other software uses, why is it so hard to make games that are cross-platform? Is it something with DirectX? is that the main problem? Fact is that, to get a decent video card, you pay an awful lot more on a Mac, so why not get an extra PC, which is what I did.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

It’s roughly the difference between making an Xbox version and a Windows version, with the added disadvantage of a much smaller userbase.

• grundus says:

I only counted one thing you didn’t understand, and yes, it’s because of DirectX. Almost all games that get ported to Mac run on OpenGL or have an OpenGL mode, like Rage for instance.

And yeah, £377 for a 5870, even now! You can’t even buy them new for PCs any more, at that price you could buy a 4GB EVGA GTX 670 FTW. Moronic, and it’s also the reason I built a PC. And also why I’ll probably replace my Pro with a Hackintosh when the time comes. Then again if this Pro is anything like the G5 I used to own it’ll still be useful in 2020.

20. v.dog says:

One is sleek and white with a nice voice interface, but is comes from a company run by a now deceased madman and is all but impossible to upgrade (unless you’re a robot). The other is ugly as sin and has to be vigilantly protected from spyware, but is cheap to upgrade and can be fixed by smacking the side of it:

Mac vs PC

• El_Emmental says:

Hehe, I didn’t expected that.

I must say I almost judged you too early, I have to thank you for that moment of humility.

21. Optimaximal says:

You can see in a round-about way why Feral won’t release on Steam – I guess their pay will be sales-based, so releasing on Steam under SteamPlay will result in an awful lot of not many sales.

Of course, on the other hand, who the fuck is going to buy it again, especially after everyone who cared about it either bought it or got it free with Bioshock Infinite!

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

But that’s exactly what Aspyr do with their games, most notably Borderlands 2, and they seem to be doing well from a financial situation.

22. eclw says:

Oh bless you RPS. It’s not a ‘rich’ thing – it’s a ‘superior being’ thing. Nice of you to go upmarket though.

[long time reader, first time troller]

jezcentral says:

I know DXHR did this, and now XCOM, but I can’t be the only person who doesn’t like this splitting up of games over PC platforms. I appreciate that there are development costs, but these Steamworks games should really be Steamplay as well.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

What *should* happen is that Firaxis should just develop a cross-platform version in the first place. Indie developers can manage this, so why can’t a company with bigger resources? Is it really more profitable for them to farm it out like this? They’re even making an iOS version now (in-house, as far as I can tell), so you’d think there’d be a level of familiarity with Apple’s frameworks.

c-Row says:

That’s one of the few things I still respect Blizzard for.

• RaiderJoe says:

Hey yea, that’s right! They’re building an objective-c/OpenGL version anyway, and XCODE (pun intended) treats mac & ios as virtually the same build-wise; why would they not just do this in-house?

24. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

The game is rather flawed I think – or at least it’s flawed in the areas that can’t be overlooked – but it’s still a fun re-imagineering-cum-reboot.

25. BreadBitten says:

Anyone know how to stop Feedly needing to be “allowed” into Google’s sacred domain every time I log in to it?

Also, don’t you dare judge me about the lack of XCOM-ness of my comment! My last comment (in an entirely different article) had more than enough of that so refer to that to get your turn-based jollies.

26. Capt. Raven says:

Do I think the first paragraph of your article is professional? No.
    Do I like it nevertheless? Hell yeah :D

27. uh20 says:

that means the linux version is only months behind!!!!

28. Lagwolf says:

I am sure most Mac users, like me, who would want to run XCom use Bootcamp & already have it. Oh yeah and more often than not we Mac users run PC games better than on comparable PCs when using Bootcamp.

• derbefrier says:

key word here is comparable meaning my 500 dollar PC will run PC games very slightly not as good as your 1200 laptop? Okay you can have that…

• tremulant says:

I’m not sure i understand why you’d expect to run games better than on similarly specced generic PC hardware(i assume you’re talking comparable in hardware terms rather than price, because the latter would likely get very embarrassing for your mac), maybe because you’re not weighing windows down with all manner of cruft for general purpose computing, or even the motherboard manufacturer’s over the top energy saving, noise cancelling breakfast making system utilities, as you’re only booting it from time to time for gaming, but beyond that it’s more or less the same software running on the same hardware, it’s not as though you’re gaming under WINE, where you could potentially see marked differences(though probably at the cost of slight rendering differences or fallback to an older renderer when compared with running natively).

29. Darth_Pingu says:

But… Deluxe Elite Digital GOTY Ultimate edition … Meaning no more DLC?

30. Bobtree says:

XCOM has been various flavors of broken since it launched. I seriously doubt that this third-party port has improved the situation. Don’t buy it.

31. AspyrRyan says:

Let’s be fair. There’s more than 4 Mac gamers just at Aspyr that read RPS!

32. Banana_Republic says:

Mac, PC — bleh.

Any word on an Amiga port?

33. tanith says:

I really wish people would understand that a Mac is a PC, in fact it is the same as a PC because it is a PC, just with a different operating system.

Reading “for PC, MAC and Linux” always makes my blood boil. As if a computer running OSX or Linux is not a PC. >_>

Rikard Peterson says:

I agree with you, but I guess this is a battle we’ve already lost. We’ll just have to accept the word usage.

• Brun says:

The term “PC” refers to the “IBM PC Compatible” notion from the early days of personal computing, which was shortened/bastardized as “PC”. At the time this *was* distinct from Apple’s Macintosh.

• phelix says:

A computer running OSX or Linux is just a computer. Har har har.

• El_Emmental says:

Well, if they ever wanted to be accurate they would say “Microsoft Windows, OSX, and Linux”, but then people wouldn’t understand – it was already hard to explain which Windows had Direct X 10, if we try to explain what OpenGL (and OpenAL, etc) are, people are just going to buy consoles.

34. Muzman says:

Look we can’t have games on Macs ok? You can’t maintain this fantasy that Macs don’t crash and have great networking if they have to actually talk to each other on regular basis and are made to run anything more complicated than iCal by increasing numbers of the userbase.
    There’s an image to maintain here people!

35. Rephlexx says:

AHAHAHA : ] now available for rich people… my god..i am all tears : ] AHAHA. great news.!! : ]]]]

Rikard Peterson says:

XCOM has been available for rich people since October. (I own a Mac, but couldn’t afford a console if I wanted to get one.)

• sockdemon says:

…Prolly because you spent all your moniez on a Mac! rimshot!

37. Arglebargle says:

I avoid the Dark Side mostly because Apple has become a company of patent trolls and innovation stiflers. I embrace the Dark Side because, well, too hard to play games without a Microsoft interface.

The great audio software available for the iPads is really making me grimace though. Dang them!

38. yazman says:

I love this article. Thanks, Alec. Nice to see some honesty regarding Macs for once.