Cycle Of Life: Trials Evolution Evolves A Demo

By John Walker on May 8th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

When one of the finest PC releases of 2013 is a side-scrolling motorbike game – Trials Evolution: Gold Edition – I can understand that some who’ve not played the Trials games before might be confused by concept. Fortunately there’s now no excuse for not having a play of this ridiculously fun game, as at last there’s a demo.

While there were some disappointing porting issues for the PC version, and there’s certainly the rather significant issue of its being awkwardly entwined in UPlay’s nonsense, the game is such unbridled fun that it’s all worthwhile. As you’ll likely find out if you get hold of the demo via Steam.

Seemingly to commemorate the occasion of releasing a demo about two months late, as of tomorrow until next Monday they’re lowering the price to £12. It’s really worth it, I swear. But take a look at the demo first to see if you consider me a fool.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. John Connor says:

Having played this game I still don’t get what the fuss is about. It’s not really anything more sophisticated than Angry Birds, it’s a flash game with 3D graphics.

• John Walker says:

I *think* I may have figured out why you’ve not got it, if you’re playing it like Angry Birds. You know you can, well, control the motorbike, right? And the aim is to not have the guy fall down?

• John Connor says:

“Control” the motorbike, you mean. You can lean in two directions like every flash racing game ever! Amazing.

• Carbonated Dan says:

the controls are (roughly speaking) analogue

if
          Angry Birds = calculated management of trajectories and velocities
          then
          Angry Birds = Trials, Mario, iracing…

• Derppy says:

Does a game have to be “sophisticated” in order to be fun?

It’s essentially a platformer where you balance on a motorcycle. There’s good variety in the levels, it’s satisfying to beat them and it doesn’t hurt that it looks also looks pretty.

You don’t go into a game like this expecting an epic story and deep game world, you go in it for a fun challenge. You go into it with same sort of expectations you’d have for Super Meat Boy, which was also a very simple, yet still a fantastic game.

• Gnoupi says:

“a flash game with 3D graphics”…

I wish people would stop making the direct link that flash game = cheap, poor, free thing to play in a browser.

The framework used has nothing to do with the actual quality of a game. There are poor games in flash, there are great games in flash.

• UncleLou says:

There’s a pretty fundamental difference – Trials takes a lot of skill, in Angry Birds you just need a rough idea what to do and a few tries.

• Deadly Sinner says:

You only play simulators, I take it?

2. int says:

Anyone remember Across and Elastomania?

• SooSiaal says:

Of course, elastomania has been on my hdd for many years, and it will probably never be deleted :)

• riverman says:

remember when a demo of a game was long enough to tell you enough about it to know if you want to buy the game? then remember when it came time to buy the game but your 486 didn’t have a modem and you didn’t know what the internet was so you had no way of buying any of those totally rad games on that CDROM that came with like three hundred totally rad demos? I played the demo of quake 1 more than I played the actual damn game when I finally got around to buying it, I think. well, that’s not true, but man, I miss something about my childhood.

3. Jekhar says:

I already own this and both it’s DLCs on my toybox, yet i’m playing with the idea to get it again, just to be futureproof. Yes, i love the game that much. I’m terribly mediocre at it, but it’s just too much fun. The perfect game if you just have 15 minutes to spare, too. So how bad is the pc port, exactly?

4. Drake Sigar says:

Never. *Showers John with spittle* NEVER! I’ll take a DRM-free boxed version or nothing.

5. Phinor says:

Well the demo got them one extra sale at least. I was in the alpha/beta test and the game was completely unplayable stuttering mess the whole time so it was easy to simply not buy the full product considering they did seemingly nothing to fix the stutter during those tests.

Based on this demo, I can happily report that the stutter is simply fixed at least on my computer. The game seems to be in a great shape now and even the menus actually respond to button presses. I assume the multiplayer component actually works too and doesn’t drop your fps in menus down to 0-5 anymore :)

I know, beta is a beta but there just didn’t seem to be any progress in fixing the issues which they have obviously now done.

6. trjp says:

The game is far from ‘fixed’ for many players – the technical issues are still there and, in fact, I don’t think UBI/Redlynx have changed ANYTHING, the improvements some people have seen are purely from changes in GPU drivers.

The game still lacks native resolutions above 1600×900 (you can hack them in but only the game changes – menus etc remain upscaled) and looks AWFUL unless you have some high-end hardware (low shadows is hideous and high shadows is GPU melting – there is no NO shadows option)

This remains the only PC game I’ve bought that I wish I’d not bothered with – the state it was in at launch – the state it’s STILL in is unmerchantable – UBI really do like fucking their customers

DO NOT BUY THIS

7. Tinotoin says:

Having already got and played Trials HD/Evo on the 360 for many, many hundreds of hours (and still do) is there much point in getting the PC version?

I though that, seeing as it’s cheap, it may be worth a punt for the improved visuals (are there any?) and potentially inevitable 3D vision patch (will there be?).

8. trjp says:

For people wondering about quality – this is the game on maxed-settings in it’s highest offered resolution (without hacking) of 1600×900

That gives me 40-50fps with stuttering and so I can’t play it like that

This is it in the lowest possible settings (same res)

LOOK AT THE LEGO BLOCK SHADOWS – they’re moving all the time – it’s like watching some sort of moving rorschach test. The textures are also low-res (check the rider’s gear) – it’s just ugly-as-sin on a monitor – to be frank.

I’d not normally complain about that – but even in the lowest settings it STILL has hiccups/FPS drops and texture loading issues. I’m 99% sure that’s also 1280×720 upscaled (XBOX res)

Worse still, the timer (the thing you’re always trying to beat) is not frame-locked – so slowdowns and hiccups are eating time from your run!

• trjp says:

p.s. Redlynx have said that 1600×900 is a limit for ‘non DX11 cards’ – not that it says that on the purchase pages AND I have a 100% compatible DX11 card so I think they’re lying shitbags…

YMMV however…

9. Intrinsic says:

Hmm, what made Trials 2 a lot of fun for me was all the bone crunching crash/pain sounds which made me chuckle and go “oooh” when i had a big crash, this has none of that? or maybe it’s just not in the demo? i did a google but nothing turned up at all regarding this. Before i part with my cash i’d need to know if i can get decent sounds :)

10. riverman says:

“redlynx a ubisoft studio”

*an