Don’t Go Broke Age: The Humble Double Fine Bundle

By Nathan Grayson on May 8th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

“Double Fine?” someone somewhere has probably said at some point maybe. “Who do they think they are, claiming to be twice as fine as the rest of us? I’m no fool. I don’t believe it for a second.” But, Mr Somewhere, what if you’re wrong? Then you’ll just look silly, your only solace coming in the fact that going off the grid in shame would be simple, given that you have the least Google-able name of all time. Clearly, the only solution to your conundrum is a test. You need to play most of Double Fine’s back catalog, but your gleaming shield of skepticism must be kept aloft. Buying these games full price would only create suspicion that you might harbor legitimate interest. We can’t have that. The solution? A new Humble Double Fine Bundle. It’s offering all of the laugh factory’s PC games except Iron Brigade on a pay-what-you-want basis, and a pre-purchase of Broken Age if you’re willing to part with $35. Exceedingly strange, vaguely arousing video after the break.

So yes, you know the drill: all the games are DRM-free, and you can give every last cent in your possession to charity if you’re feeling so inclined.  Brutal Legend, meanwhile, hops in your souped-up hotrod shopping cart if you beat the average, and the $35 Broken Age tier gets you both the full game (upon eventual release) and access to its super secret backer forums.

It’s a pretty nice deal, all told, and you probably ought to– huh? Oh, well, yes, I suppose it does imply that Double Fine feels it’s both twice as fine as everyone else and notably humble. Ugh, you know what, Somewhere? Sometimes I really wish you’d change your name to Someone Somewhere Else.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rustybroomhandle says:

HA! I predicted this back in January. See the bottom of the page at http://warpgate9.com/steam-linux-beta-the-line-up-highlights-part-1/ … Now, is there any money to be made from this soothsaying stuff?

• Alien426 says:

> Now, is there any money to be made from this soothsaying stuff?

I hope so: Iron Brigade as a bonus!!

Drayk says:

I discovered yesterday that I bought a 5 games pack on amazon in january with both Iron Brigade and Mark of the Ninja… I totally forgot. And hop, in my ever growing backlog…

• rustybroomhandle says:

Hmm, likely not Iron Brigade because of it being published by Microsoft, and no Linux port exists. However, I suspect the mid-promo unlock will include Capy’s Sword & Sworcery. (Posssssibly Shank 1 and 2 and though a long shot due to publisher stuff, The Cave)

• Shivoa says:

Quite possibly not. The current list of games are all published digitally by Double Fine. Iron Brigade is published by MS, even on PC digital platforms.

• povu says:

The Cave seems like a more likely bonus game.

• Liudeius says:

Well, if you pay me $100, I’ll give you my prediction on whether there’s money in soothsaying.

• HadToLogin says:

Ask Patcher or whatever that his name is.

2. Meister of Articulate Statelments says:

They should be double fined for The Cave…

3. FFabian says:

What about Stacking? I already own Psychonauts and Costume Quest. Is it (Double) fine too?

DrScuttles says:

Humble Bundles charge $1 minimum for a Steam key, I’d say Stacking is definitely worth at least that. It’s quite a charming and different take on the adventure game. As with most (all?) Double Fine games, it’s far from flawless but worth investigating if you like their style.

• Teovald says:

Brutal Legend is also a great game. It is a flawed masterpiece, but it is still the most fun I had with a video game this year.

• Kinch says:

Stacking is amazing. I think it’s the least flawed of DF games. Very original, unique in terms of graphics and setting.

Brütal Legend, though clunky and janky (especially on the hardest setting), is still a great game. I’ve had a lot of fun with it (and a little bit of frustration every now and then). It’s well worth paying more than average to get it.
      Just don’t be fooled by the “soundtrack” edition – it only includes the original soundtrack, not the licensed metal awesomesauce. The licensed music can be found on Spotify, for example, so it’s not a biggie.

• DrMcCoy says:

You can also find an FSB extractor and the password to their encrypted FSBs containing the licensed tracks easily with a quick Google search.

• Kinch says:

They release it DRM-free but it doesn’t mean you should reverse engineer game files.

4. Daniel Klein says:

How did that video not receive the Staring Eyes tag?

DrScuttles says:

The bundle is also missing The Cave as well as Iron Brigade. Though I’ve noticed The Cave advertised for at least half price fairly often on Savygamer’s tweet account.

• jameskond says:

The almost always do a bonus game after a week. Since Double Fine owns the rights to The Cave, the probably will add that.

• Convolvulus says:

It’s published by Sega.

• Cytrom says:

So? Shank 1-2 were published by EA, and they still got drm-free version in HB. Luckily publishers don’t necessary own the ip they are publishing. (EA is changing that now since they are getting rid of the partners program though, so they can maximally screw up EVERYTHING they touch in the future.)

• Convolvulus says:

The PC versions of Shank and Shank 2 were published by Klei, and Tim Schafer has already stated why The Cave won’t be in this bundle.

6. Alexrd says:

Brutal Legend DRM-free? Bought.

welverin says:

Arousing?

Thermal Ions says:

Maybe Nathan’s dreaming of whatever it is that Tim looks like he’s on.

8. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

These Humble Bundles are putting me off from buying indie type games.

I recently spent maybe £11 on Brutal Legend and about the same on a double fine pack a few months previous. And everytime I buy an indie game, a few months later it appears in a Humble Bundle.

Just like the AAA rule is “Don’t buy now, wait for a steam sale”, the indie game rule is becoming “Don’t buy now, wait for the humble bundle”.

• Kobest says:

Exactly, my thoughts are the same. I put off buying Mark of the Ninja for example, because Shank 1 and 2 were released in Humble Bundle, Shank 2 just a couple of months after its Steam release.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Ask yourself a simple question: “Did I enjoy the game(s)?”

If the answer to that question is “Yes!” ,… then why bother?

Or do you think, you would have enjoyed the game(s) more, if you’ve paid less?

If you had your fun…I’d say you’ve got your money’s worth back, no?

• sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

I had fun yes, but I no longer feel like I had my moneys worth – a couple of months wait and I could have paid for all these games AND some more games and therefore had twice as much fun for the same limited pot of money.

If brutal legend had been out for, say, 12 or 18 months then I’d understand, but it’s a brand new game.

Sinomatic says:

You essentially pay a time premium – you get to play it earlier, but for a higher price. The rest of us waiting for things to get cheaper have no idea when we’ll be able to buy it at a price we deem reasonable. Sometimes that can be a handful of months, sometimes it can be years. You clearly thought it was a reasonable price at the time you bought it. Moreover, you enjoyed it, so you did get your money’s worth. I could understand feeling a little as though you’d lost out on a deal had you not already played the game, but you have.

welverin says:

Brutal Legend is most assuredly not a brand new game, it’s three and a half years old, it’s just took forever to come out on PC. Hence the budget price.

• motorwrists says:

But you did get an awesome and annoying taunt for TF2 (if you play that ofc.)

9. aerozol says:

Double Fine + Tim & Eric? *wipes away tear*
    I bought Brutal Legend at full price, but I knew what to expect. Actually finished it the day before this bundle came out.. Driving around killing stuff and listening to METAAAAAAALLL is fun, the campaign is very meh, but overall 5 schnozwahs out of a humperdink
    Hope Stacking and Costume Quest are fun.. They look like something my gf could be into as well

10. phenom_x8 says:

Bought!! Without hesitation, its pretty worth for psychonauts (and brutal legend) alone

Gabbo says:

Is Brutal Legend also drm-free (and I’m not including Steam in this), or does that distinction belong to Stacking/Psychonauts/Costume Quest alone?

Illessa says:

Yup! The download is in my Humble profile at least – though I’ve no idea if the multiplayer works considering it is/was Steamworks based…

[Edit] Yeah, looks like DRM-free version is SP only

• Alexrd says:

Yes, Brutal Legend is DRM-free. And you’re right on not including Steam, since it’s DRM. Fortunately Double Fine didn’t pull a THQ with this bundle.

12. Larkington says:

Does anyone else remember The Humble Bundle doing a weekly deal? Did that fall by the wayside?

elderman says:

Three cheers for funny, quirky, DRM-free, Linux-compatible games. I’ll have me some of those. Love the Humble Bundle.

strangeloup says:

Hm. If they’d had included Iron Brigade as well, I would have gone for this, but I already have everything except Costume Quest.

Can anyone weigh in on whether that’s worth getting? I vaguely remember playing the demo on the 360 ages back and having no particularly strong impression one way or the other.

• The Random One says:

If you only want Costume Quest it’ll cost ya one dollar. And that only if you want to get the Steam keys. It’s worth it.

(And I just found out that if you put a value lower than $1 in the HB purchase page a hilarious cartoon shows up. Try it!)

• Widthwood says:

“It appears that you have no heart! Please prove that you are really human. ”

One of the more proper uses of captcha

15. Shooop says:

Oh wow. This is the first humble bundle I’m interested in, thanks for the heads-up!

Gap Gen says:

Milennium simulation. Weird. Wonder if they asked if they could use the footage or just smooshed it in there regardless.