Plant Vs. Zombies: Farm For Your Life

By John Walker on May 8th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

First of all, I’m bringing you the most important news: there’s a game whose name is Farm For Your Life. Let’s not let that get buried under any other information I might provide after this point. Farm For Your Life.

Other interesting factors, albeit ones that pale in comparison, are that you can buy it right now, or… earn it for free.

Oh, and the title’s for real. It’s a farming-based time-management game, in which you grow produce during the day, and then use it to hurl at attacking zombies at night. And manage a restaurant. And rebuild your home.

Naturally it’s on Greenlight, but you can buy it directly from developers Hammer Labs for a minimum of £8.16, $10, or €10. (Um, get it in dollars then!) However, you can also “try to get it for free”.

This may have happened elsewhere, but I don’t remember seeing it before. If you create an account, you can then earn “XP”, which at 10 points will secure you a copy of the game. There’s a point for ‘liking’ it on Facebook, another for posting in the forum, and best of all, 1XP for sending them a photo of you dressed as a zombie. Seems an interesting idea, although right now I can’t actually find a forum to post feedback in, and without that can see no way to gather enough XP for a copy. Unless I convince five people to buy a game I’ve never played, and then I’d get it. Since the XP offers reach as high as 1000, I’m not quite sure what’s going on there. But I like the idea all the same.

Also, it’s called Farm For Your Life.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

Oh. So it’s not a PvZ sequel? The title had me confused.

2. toasthaste says:

I think I like this “earn it” idea as a way to get a game for free while still helping the developers, but something about having to “like” the game, or recommend it, without ever having played it seems a bit off. I don’t really know what they could have you do instead that would be more appropriate though. Maybe it’d help if they had a demo?

It’ll be interesting to see if other small devs take their own shots at this formula. As someone with plenty of time and not a lot of money, I’d love to see the ideas they come up with.

3. nimzy says:

Certainly gives another meaning to the phrase “farming for XP.”

4. Oliver says:

Hey John. Thank you for the post. It was quite unexpected and just made my day :-)

I am the designer/programmer of this game, so if you have any questions, ask away.

@CaspianRoach: Na, it’s not really a sequel. Though I confess I like PvZ alot. It might have influenced me a bit. Our game, however, compares better to Harvest Moon, with the added bonus of zombies that steal your crop.

5. aliksy says:

Interesting idea, but the video makes the gameplay look kind of slow.

6. Bartack says:

I wish I was 10 again.

7. Gap Gen says:

So PvZ / Sang Froid? Interesting.

• The Random One says:

It made me thing of Sang Froid, because I also thought “So they prepare the terrain during the day and defend it during the night… WHEN DO THEY SLEEEEEEP”

8. MacTheGeek says:

Farming Simulator vs. Zombies?

9. Tssha says:

This game is so corny.

10. impeus says:

I expected the zombie attacks to be the tensest part of the game – little did I realise that it would actually be learning new recipes that would get my heart racing!

Comment on this story