Cowboy Ker-Bop: Showdown Effect Gets Free DLC

By Nathan Grayson on May 9th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

[a tumbleweed rolls by, explodes]

LAST TIME, ON THE SHOWDOWN EFFECT:

[Cars explode or something]

Arnold Schwarzenegger parody: “Wow, this sure is great! I can slice and shoot people, and it’s all so fast-pace– [gets sliced and shot to pieces, emits comical death yodel].”

[More explosions, no one looks at them]

Elderly monk man: “Hah, that was too easy. Which is basically what this game becomes after you figure out the rhythm and realize there are only a few weapons, items, and character abilities. There’s just not much long-term value. Er, I mean, hiyah! Tongue-in-cheek reference to a well-known action film!”

[Further explosions with no apparent cause]

Explosions: “Hey, I know: you guys should go to the Wild West for some reason. Westerns were kind of action movies, right? They had guns and stuff. Also, fantastic soundtracks. Er, I mean, ka-boom.”

Right then, the DLC is – as you may have guessed – largely Western-themed, but with a twist. By which I of course mean more of the same thing Showdown Effect’s been doing since the very beginning:

“In today’s update players receive two new levels, South Eastwood and Fort Fiesta, inspired by classic ‘spaghetti Western’ films – with an unhealthy dose of 1980s monster movies mashed into the mix. The levels are available for free and will be immediately available to pick in both ranked and custom matches.”

More monster movie stuff. Hurrah I guess! You also get two new characters: British super spy Thelma Vaine and a cyborg named Dr. Johnny Bionic who “must fight every day to keep his drill-saw-arm from murdering all humans.” I think we can all identify with that. All of the above is unlockable for free, and other Western costumes will spice up your wardrobe iffin’ yer willin’ to pay. Money, that is.

It’s a nice gesture, too, but I can’t help but feel like it still doesn’t get to the root of Showdown Effect’s rather pressing content issue. It’s a fun, over-the-top competitive hack ‘n’ slasher that feels great, but it dries up faster than a shallow rain puddle in parched soil on a hot summer’s day and also the sun. Don’t get me wrong: there’s huge potential. I just worry that its creators won’t really capitalize on it until it’s too late.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Armatool says:

Too bad the game is still crap

• semout12 says:

Evan. I just agree… Patrick`s report is impressive… last tuesday I bought a great Volkswagen Golf GTI after I been earnin $8978 this-last/5 weeks an would you believe $10,000 last-munth. it’s realy the easiest-job Ive ever done. I began this 3 months ago and immediately got me over $73 per-hr. I went to this website wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. bit.bat says:

oh Cowboy Bebop, how I love you.

• guygodbois00 says:

As we all do, indeed.

• Joshua Northey says:

I am still confused how they decided to walk away from hat universe. I mean the series itself was great and shouldn’t be touched, but add more in! Its the same way I never understood how XCOM laid dormant for so long.

• Sunny Boy says:

Because the story had been told and they didn’t want to ruin it with lazy sequels? :)

• Nick says:

3, 2, 1, let’s jam

3. MrLebanon says:

They need dedicated servers

4. Ross Angus says:

Is that giant spider in the background of the map a reference to Wild Wild West? If you’ve not heard Kevin Smith’s story about it, it’s well worth a listen.

Although I might have killed a punchline a bit.

5. wodin says:

How to have made this game a classic..AI…and tools to make user made levels..would need a total redesign though to have mad the levels easy to edit and create new ones..

• Optimaximal says:

I can imagine that Steam Workshop support would be pretty high on their to-do list.

6. TwwIX says:

This game died before it even launched. That’s what happens when you release a broken, multiplayer only game with hardly any content or polish. Paradox needs to invest some of their profits into QA instead of rushing every fucking project that they are associated with.

7. aldrenean says:

The game is only “dead” because very few people are playing it, but there’s still 4-10 servers visible for me (on Medium setting) at any given time. I personally think it’s really fun, especially with friends, though there are a couple issues that need polish. It could go either way, definitely worth the $5 sale price though.

• King_Rocket says:

I agree completely, I think this game when played with a few mates its super fun stuff. Granted we tend to turn the guns off and play it like Super Smash Brothers.

But lack of player numbers is a major drawback, being forced to play in session that are halfway around the world is a pain but as a game to play with people you know… I think it’s just Ace.